Opinion Are the Demons currently experiencing some kind of Perth curse?

Are the Demons experiencing a Perth curse?

• Yes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My Dees mate in November 2021 was talking about "The Melbourne experience", where he said that if the dees were to ever win a flag there was always going to be a massive catch and that if the finals series had've been in Melbourne as per normal the dees would have choked under the weight of expectation.

Can't say he's wrong so far.

Maybe they shouldn’t have been such tossers when they won in 2021, the karma bus has a way of running you over, and then reversing over you again.
Haha. Salty much?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

They got in Ben Brown and we were castigated for letting him go when it was pretty obvious he wasn't the same player after his injuries.
The same Ben Brown that kicked 3 in a grand final win?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Their forward line issues would be mitigated if their mids outside of Petracca and Neale-Bullen (who is barely a mid, more a high half forward) kicked more goals.

Viney: 8 goals
Brayshaw: 2 goals
Gawn: 10 goals
Hunter: 6 goals
Langdon: 6 goals
Neale-Bullen: 19 goals
Oliver: 6 goals
Petracca: 28 goals
Salem: 0 goals

WC in 2004-05 were able to kick blistering scores despite a perfunctory forward line because their mids were regular goal kickers. Melbourne without a firing Fritsch and Pickett simply struggle to score at all. You add an extra 15-20 goals across all players here and it's simply not an issue.

Just to be clear, this is not solely a KPF issue although that'd help. The problem is that the ball isn't going to ground as much, and setting up to try and score from a front half stoppage necessitates your smalls putting in the work and your bigs knocking the loose/aerial ball to good positionsn and that just isn't happening either. Pickett is an excellent crumber, but how much more effective would their front half be if they had Dan Butler to go with him?

Whoever the forward line coach is - and the midfield coach, to an extent - needs to work out where they're kicking from in terms of field position prior to entry inside 50 - are they kicking from 60-80 out, could they instead run the ball 15-20m further to allow shots on the run from their more dominant midfield from 40? - and where they're kicking to inside 50. Find a way to produce stoppages a little closer to goal and win the ball clear to run it within range instead of looking for a target or blasting from 50; prize shots from 40 on the run from players who we know are good long range kicks instead of precise darts to a singular leading player. That's not to say you never go to Fritsch, but they go to him too much at present.

You can't just bang it to the hot spot these days. You need a plan if that's your go to bring it to ground in dangerous positions with the smalls in the right spot to execute, and it's so reliant on preventing intercepting defenders derailing it before it even begins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I just think they're another Bulldogs, Eagles team, win a Premiership, promised Dynasties and not delivered. Richmond cops a of shiit (And yes mostly because of our supporters) but I think Dynasty teams have to have multiple pillars all running succinctly, culture, gamestyle, drive, talent, no injuries and luck, To keep all those balls in the air at once is next to impossible. The teams that achieved Dynasties really should be applauded.

I'd say they're experiencing a "We have a massive KPF hole in our list and have done F all to address it" curse.....

Amazingly when you spend all your coin on 8 top players the other 14 end up being average or spuds.
Good points.

Melbourne have been loyal to the side that won a flag and while they've made adjustments (eg adding Grundy) they have essentially tried to go again with what worked: tough defence, tough mids and an archaic ruck set up. Forward line TBC.

We did something similar with a grand final losing side, long contracts for blokes based on their best season to date because it will all play out the same next year and no one will get worse, right?

That pill Clarckson always refreshed the list, even losing supposedly untradeable king pieces, and moved the club toward its next flag, not rewinning the last one. It's not a guarantee for success but it's a better approach.

I can't blame them for their loyalty to Gawn Trac etc, they win mountains of hard footy. What they lack is slick Isaac Smith/Golden types, they don't even have to be AA tier. The Pies have amazing value from Lipinski, a slow and not certain defensive HFF with a sweet kick inside 50.

Lose one if those high value hard mids and get in a couple of transitioners, maybe another finisher to aid Fritsch (or at least a lump to bring the ball to ground znd keep it in) and they're top tier again.

They're top tier now, just not in finals.

After 2021 they promised the world a "dynasty". Maybe their wish came true?

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

Good points.

Melbourne have been loyal to the side that won a flag and while they've made adjustments (eg adding Grundy) they have essentially tried to go again with what worked: tough defence, tough mids and an archaic ruck set up. Forward line TBC.

We did something similar with a grand final losing side, long contracts for blokes based on their best season to date because it will all play out the same next year and no one will get worse, right?

That pill Clarckson always refreshed the list, even losing supposedly untradeable king pieces, and moved the club toward its next flag, not rewinning the last one. It's not a guarantee for success but it's a better approach.

I can't blame them for their loyalty to Gawn Trac etc, they win mountains of hard footy. What they lack is slick Isaac Smith/Golden types, they don't even have to be AA tier. The Pies have amazing value from Lipinski, a slow and not certain defensive HFF with a sweet kick inside 50.

Lose one if those high value hard mids and get in a couple of transitioners, maybe another finisher to aid Fritsch (or at least a lump to bring the ball to ground znd keep it in) and they're top tier again.

They're top tier now, just not in finals.
LOL Hawthorn? yeah use an archetype dating back to 2015 that'll win you a premiership. Collingwood and the rest of the competition have literally ripped off Richmonds Coaches, style, culture and ip. but yeah just ignore that.

I think if you replace Oliver with Cripps in that side they go on to complete a dynasty instead of pinching one out of the box in a Covid year.

No, I just think they're another Bulldogs, Eagles team, win a Premiership, promised Dynasties and not delivered. Richmond cops a of shiit (And yes mostly because of our supporters) but I think Dynasty teams have to have multiple pillars all running succinctly, culture, gamestyle, drive, talent, no injuries and luck, To keep all those balls in the air at once is next to impossible. The teams that achieved Dynasties really should be applauded.
I don’t remember the Dogs or Eagles ever being talked about seriously as a potential dynasty. We all knew the dogs had a great September, and the Eagles were the beneficiaries of a big Richmond choke

Back