What are some of the best commentary one-liners in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not footy, but worthy of an entry.

David Gower - "He's on 69. A very comfortable position to be in."
Henry Blofeld commentating a test match on BBC Radio as West Indies paceman Michael Holding steamed in off the long run to England's middle order batsman, Peter Willey.

"The bowler's Holding... The batsman's Willey"

Not quite one line but one of my favourite BT moments (of which there a few modern ones unfortunately)

People might not know it due to it involving the dockers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry Blofeld commentating a test match on BBC Radio as West Indies paceman Michael Holding steamed in off the long run to England's middle order batsman, Peter Willey.

"The bowler's Holding... The batsman's Willey"
When his Aussie counterpart in the commentary box started to whine about the Windies fast bowlers constantly digging the ball in short and whizzing it past the Australian batsmen's heads, Michael Holding's response - "You're in the West Indies, mun - if you want to drive, you hire a car".

Dennis Cometti:

Hardie decides to have a bounce. Look at him go. Amazing. Not bad for a guy who’s built like a pirate’s lunch table.

or

Tonight their playing like Matthew Mcconaughey at a Singles bar - they cant miss.

‘74 grand final when Doug Wade has a shot at goal for NM:

Lou Richards “oohh it’s a bad one..it’s a goal!”

Mike Williamson “ if that’s bad Louie I’d like to see a good one, boy”

Michael Williamson during the St.kilda V Collingwood 1966 Grand Final..."My hand is still shaking"

‘Yep, 66 gf had some memorable ones in the 4th quarter.

Alan ‘Butch’ Gale “I’ll have a heart attack in a minute”
Ted Whitten “I’ve already had 3 Butch”

And with seconds to go.. Ted Whitten “hit the boundary line!”

Comparing the moments from yesteryear to the modern day in the thread just proves that the older commentators called the play and accentuated the moment, versus the modern caller who comes up with a line and tries to fit it in the call. One is about the game, the other is about the commentator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back