Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Can absolutely win the premiership. I hate saying that and ive ribbed the Blues for a few years but it scares the s**t outta me that they absolutely can win #17.
They do seem capable of playing at a high level this year, but can they sustain it for 3-4 weeks of finals against the best teams in the league? They're in a really interesting spot right now where their list is getting tested due to injuries and have still found a way to perform really well against arguably the two best teams in the league over the last fortnight. So what does that mean?

It kind of depends on how you want to look at it. An optimist might say they beat the flag favourites two weeks ago, played really well against another flag fancy Geelong last week and a win tomorrow night over the reigning premiers Collingwood should get them back into the top 4 as well as capping off a really strong three weeks for the Blues. Then a pessimist would probably say Carlton have lost two of their last three games (arguably could/should have been three of the last four with the way the Fremantle game ended) and a loss to Collingwood tomorrow night means three losses in their last four games as well as putting the Blues at risk of falling out of the top 8 at the conclusion of this round.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, but you get the point that there's a bit of unknown about exactly where Carlton currently stand in the league and it mostly depends on how you choose to view their recent form. They've shown some seriously good football in the last two games and we all assume they're a top 4 side right now but you still have to secure wins at the end of the day. Particularly given their next three opponents are all serious football clubs in Collingwood, Melbourne and Sydney.

IMO they need to get back into the habit of consistently winning again. Otherwise, questions will rightly start popping up.

They do seem capable of playing at a high level this year, but can they sustain it for 3-4 weeks of finals against the best teams in the league? They're in a really interesting spot right now where their list is getting tested due to injuries and have still found a way to perform really well against arguably the two best teams in the league over the last fortnight. So what does that mean?

It kind of depends on how you want to look at it. An optimist might say they beat the flag favourites two weeks ago, played really well against another flag fancy Geelong last week and a win tomorrow night over the reigning premiers Collingwood should get them back into the top 4 as well as capping off a really strong three weeks for the Blues. Then a pessimist would probably say Carlton have lost two of their last three games (arguably could/should have been three of the last four with the way the Fremantle game ended) and a loss to Collingwood tomorrow night means three losses in their last four games as well as putting the Blues at risk of falling out of the top 8 at the conclusion of this round.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, but you get the point that there's a bit of unknown about exactly where Carlton currently stand in the league and it mostly depends on how you choose to view their recent form. They've shown some seriously good football in the last two games and we all assume they're a top 4 side right now but you still have to secure wins at the end of the day. Particularly given their next three opponents are all serious football clubs in Collingwood, Melbourne and Sydney.

IMO they need to get back into the habit of consistently winning again. Otherwise, questions will rightly start popping up.
We need players to stay on the park to build cohesion. Our systems are all out of wack at the moment with a revolving door of ins and outs. Was shown in the Geelong game with our defensive structures falling apart as bad as they have since Voss took over.

We need players to stay on the park to build cohesion. Our systems are all out of wack at the moment with a revolving door of ins and outs. Was shown in the Geelong game with our defensive structures falling apart as bad as they have since Voss took over.
In an ideal world, absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, the realistic nature of this league means that every club will have to deal with injuries to some degree throughout the duration of a season. Carlton is going to have more injuries this season just like every other club will. So the point about cohesion being interrupted literally applies to every club.

Do Carlton have more injuries than most other clubs? It would appear so but that will change as the season rolls on. Regardless, Vossy has to find ways to win in spite of the injuries. That's the sign of a truly good team that's able to adjust when the uncontrollable variables inevitably change.

We'll find out tonight if Vossy can continue to find ways to remain highly competitive with an injury depleted list.

In an ideal world, absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, the realistic nature of this league means that every club will have to deal with injuries to some degree throughout the duration of a season. Carlton is going to have more injuries this season just like every other club will. So the point about cohesion being interrupted literally applies to every club.

Do Carlton have more injuries than most other clubs? It would appear so but that will change as the season rolls on. Regardless, Vossy has to find ways to win in spite of the injuries. That's the sign of a truly good team that's able to adjust when the uncontrollable variables inevitably change.

We'll find out tonight if Vossy can continue to find ways to remain highly competitive with an injury depleted list.
Amount of best 22 missing does matter for sure, but not all injury lists are the same.

I'd argue that most sides missing their best two midfielders or key forwards would suffer more than Carlton missing their B-cast set of forward pockets/flankers, a couple of good back flankers and their second best KPD. Whereas Geelong missing Stengle, Miers, Close and O.Henry would quite obviously hurt them a lot.

Sides get crippled when these sub-sections are missing multiple good players or top liners:

-Midfielders (most important)
-KPFs
-KPDs
-Rebounding flankers
-General/small/mobile forwards

And I'd throw primary ruckman on there too, for those sides who lack two quality ones (e.g Melbourne with Gawn, or Sydney with Grundy).

You can argue that missing both Saad and Docherty creates one of those deleterious situations, despite having Newman and Williams as strong rebounders. Add Newman or Williams to the injured players list and there you go, rebound probably reaches breaking point.

Gov is their sole quality key position player missing. Throw Weitering on top and its crippling. Weitering by himself (like the first two rounds) could even be considered crippling. Gov, not quite at that level.

They have a deep midfield that can survive without one of Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Hewett. Two or more and yes, their midfield would be taking a hit.

The ruck situation is strong with Pittonet, TDK or both. No issues there.

None of the missing forwards are good enough to make a difference more than marginal. It sounds harsh but it's just the way it is.

Ultimately if Carlton got everybody back but then lost McKay and Curnow, or even any combination of two A grade players from the ones currently playing, it would present more of a challenge. The challenge they have right now is workable and they are bringing 4 players back into the line up - 3 of which were injured - this week.

Amount of best 22 missing does matter for sure, but not all injury lists are the same.

I'd argue that most sides missing their best two midfielders or key forwards would suffer more than Carlton missing their B-cast set of forward pockets/flankers, a couple of good back flankers and their second best KPD. Whereas Geelong missing Stengle, Miers, Close and O.Henry would quite obviously hurt them a lot.

Sides get crippled when these sub-sections are missing multiple good players or top liners:

-Midfielders (most important)
-KPFs
-KPDs
-Rebounding flankers
-General/small/mobile forwards

And I'd throw primary ruckman on there too, for those sides who lack two quality ones (e.g Melbourne with Gawn, or Sydney with Grundy).

You can argue that missing both Saad and Docherty creates one of those deleterious situations, despite having Newman and Williams as strong rebounders. Add Newman or Williams to the injured players list and there you go, rebound probably reaches breaking point.

Gov is their sole quality key position player missing. Throw Weitering on top and its crippling. Weitering by himself (like the first two rounds) could even be considered crippling. Gov, not quite at that level.

They have a deep midfield that can survive without one of Cripps/Walsh/Cerra/Hewett. Two or more and yes, their midfield would be taking a hit.

The ruck situation is strong with Pittonet, TDK or both. No issues there.

None of the missing forwards are good enough to make a difference more than marginal. It sounds harsh but it's just the way it is.

Ultimately if Carlton got everybody back but then lost McKay and Curnow, or even any combination of two A grade players from the ones currently playing, it would present more of a challenge. The challenge they have right now is workable and they are bringing 4 players back into the line up - 3 of which were injured - this week.
There's so many laughs in this post it's almost hard to read 😂 have you ever actually watched Carlton games?

Please stop commenting on our current injury issues, it's clear as day from this that you have absolutely no understanding of our list or best 22 structures.

There's so many laughs in this post it's almost hard to read 😂 have you ever actually watched Carlton games?

Please stop commenting on our current injury issues, it's clear as day from this that you have absolutely no understanding of our list or best 22 structures.
Very happy to entertain rather than annoy you (just so that you're aware, it's the latter situation that seems much more obvious)! I have watched my fair share of the Blues under Vossy, as I did the previous few iterations.

I'm also happy to continue posting as I wish. Feel free to simply ignore my comments if they trigger you. They're not served to convince you to erase your delusions.

And have a great day.

Yes some may not come in. The ones certain if fit are Martin, Cerra, McGovern, Saad, Docherty (though not this year) and Fog.

Motlop would need to show more in the VFL, Kemp is ahead of Marchbank for me now, Cuningham offers less than Elijah Hollands and JSOS out of the year is fringe.
From the ones bolded - to return in 2024 after tonight are Martin, Gov, Saad and Fog. An A grader and 3 decent role players.

Collingwood are missing their 2 best contested midfielders and second key forward, a point of difference that will affect them more and hence the Blues should get the job done.

I'm sticking with my pre-season prediction of 4th and a genuine shot at a flag. The season has not even been close to derailed by the absentee list for the first 8 rounds: despite what the ladies protest.

The wit! The candour! The imagery!

I'm struggling to keep up with a Mensa candidate of this intellectual supremacy. Are we able to slow things down a bit? I'd love to learn exactly what I'm seeing when i watch Carlton play.
Spare me the grandiloquent jargon and please go watch some football before acting like an arbiter on all things Carlton related

Spare me the grandiloquent jargon and please go watch some football before acting like an arbiter on all things Carlton related
Yeah, you've caught me out. I haven't actually watched any footy this year, or other years. Commenting is more like a pointless hobby.

This is a seriously pathetic argument in response to receiving unpalatable information. "You don't even watch us!". Why bother posting on the main board if this is the type of material you rely on? As I just said, my pre-season prediction of 4th and a genuine flag tilt hasn't changed. And no, the injuries haven't swayed me on that one either. It's perfectly reasonable to say Carlton's record is a fair summation of where they're at and that they have plenty to improve on. Voss would've been all smiles if it was entirely personnel based. Frankly, these past few days he has appeared a genius while the supporters have acted like defiant Neanderthals.

In spite of some of their more intellectually challenged and outwardly abrasive supporters (it's fine, there's been level headed ones too), Carlton have a likeable team right now and I haven't been swayed on that one either. That is seriously playground level stuff.

So what you’re saying is - unless they consistently win, questions will be asked if they can consistently win.

Deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you've caught me out. I haven't actually watched any footy this year, or other years. Commenting is more like a pointless hobby.
Sounds like the archetypical Cats fans tbh.

So far your argument has consisted of; Carlton aren't missing any key players because you don't rate most of them, despite dozens of Blues fans explaining to you why they are critical members of our best 22 and how they effect our team structures.

You have McGovern referred to as just a 2nd KPD who we have cover for despite him arguably being our best rebounder these days. Docherty and Saad paired together as 'rebounders' despite Docherty playing half forward and midfield for the good part of a year now. Our small forwards, apparently none are worth noting because you decided it to be the case and you also note Walsh as our 2nd 'contested bull'... Walsh who's our first receiver at stoppage and rarely, if ever, is the one at the bottom of the contest dishing the ball out. That would be Hewett or Kennedy.

So I apologize if I've resorted to 4th grade tactics, to me it's clear you simply have no clue what you're talking about when discussing our list.

But please carry on if you'd like, just don't expect our supporters to take kindly to your misinformed posts.

Sounds like the archetypical Cats fans tbh.

So far your argument has consisted of; Carlton aren't missing any key players because you don't rate most of them, despite dozens of Blues fans explaining to you why they are critical members of our best 22 and how they effect our team structures.

You have McGovern referred to as just a 2nd KPD who we have cover for despite him arguably being our best rebounder these days. Docherty and Saad paired together as 'rebounders' despite Docherty playing half forward and midfield for the good part of a year now. Our small forwards, apparently none are worth noting because you decided it to be the case and you also note Walsh as our 2nd 'contested bull'... Walsh who's our first receiver at stoppage and rarely, if ever, is the one at the bottom of the contest dishing the ball out. That would be Hewett or Kennedy.

So I apologize if I've resorted to 4th grade tactics, to me it's clear you simply have no clue what you're talking about when discussing our list.

But please carry on if you'd like, just don't expect our supporters to take kindly to your misinformed posts.
I think Gov and Saad will be important returnees. Quite a few sides are missing a couple of important players like that though. But yes, losing them is still better than losing your ruck system, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cripps or Walsh. Doch is not worth talking about in terms of Carlton winning the premiership in 2024. It is right on the fringe of having a huge impact, but absolutely workable and hence cop outs do not fly (Voss absolutely agrees with me and disagrees with you, but he has quite an astute footy mind). If Weitering or Newman was missing too, that would be the tipping point.

Obviously I rate Cerra, but Carlton's high quality midfield can cope while they have a good ruck set up, two genuine A grade midfielders, an A grade wingman and a solid support cast.

The forwards you're missing are just not that good. Solid enough role players, that's all. It is one of the least important set of general forwards to be missing from an AFL club. And your depth is solid, so the bottom 6 being replaced by another bottom 6 isn't making the crucial difference you think it is.

Your point about Walsh has some merit (his outside game is strong too) so I am happy to rephrase that to two most important midfielders. But let's not pretend a 13 contested possession a game player isn't a bull, just because he has an elite running game.

"Not taking too kindly?" You just said you were highly entertained and having a great time. Now you seem fairly intent on silencing me, and are annoyed at having a perfectly reasonable discussion. The cop out (again) is that I must not be watching Carlton games, have an agenda or simply do not understand how your team operates. This is an insular and misinformed view. If it is actually irritating you that much, I can stop. It wasn't intended to set you off like this.

So what you’re saying is - unless they consistently win, questions will be asked if they can consistently win.

Deep.
Did you even read the post you quoted? This is literally the first sentence - They do seem capable of playing at a high level this year, but can they sustain it for 3-4 weeks of finals against the best teams in the league?

The point was that although they are clearly capable of playing at a high level this season, their premiership/finals credentials will be questioned if they don't win consistently against other top 8 teams. Pretty simple stuff if you bothered to read the post you quoted.

Last two weeks has put a dent into their campaign but fortunately plenty of football to play. Just maybe not AS good as some thought.

One dimensional forward line and they lack outside run.
Saad will help a bit with that but if they come up against teams who can defend well, and apply a press and maintain that for 2-3 quarters, they are easily broken down.

Skills across the whole team seem a cut below the other contenders. Not matter how much ball you win if you can't use it that well you just end up turning it over.

They are still a good team, probably even still a dark horse. But I wouldn't have them among the premiership favourites on exposed form. Plenty of the season still to go though, so maybe they find another gear.

No top 4 from here. So they won't win the premiership from here.

Best is good enough so will trouble some teams in the finals and probably win one or two, but that is not good enough after last year's prelim.

The bottom half a dozen players in their 22 resemble the putties in Power Rangers. Completely useless.

Carlton have a long injury list so not a proper reflection of our bottom 6 talent.

No team will ever have it's best 22 or be at full fitness and a lot of those issues are our own fault not luck related, so it can be frustrating but not something that can be complained about or pointed towards. Needs to be fixed if this list ever wants to truly contend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back