Opinion Best current kick of the football

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Smith in this conversation?

Jamie Elliott has been wow so many times this year
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Tex Walker on both sides is unbelievable. Definitely the best on his non-preferred. Dawson is a lovely long left foot kick, nice action, but not as good as Tex.

From other sides, I always thought Bailey Dale and Jack Sinclair, once it's in their hands, it's not coming back. Both pin point, powerful kicks.

Darren Jarman is the GOAT.

Tex Walker on both sides is unbelievable. Definitely the best on his non-preferred. Dawson is a lovely long left foot kick, nice action, but not as good as Tex.

From other sides, I always thought Bailey Dale and Jack Sinclair, once it's in their hands, it's not coming back. Both pin point, powerful kicks.

Darren Jarman is the GOAT.
Jarman was a wizard, amazing. Stewart Dew was pretty great if we are going back a bit.

The inability of a lot of modern day footballers to kick on their opposite foot irritates the crap out of me.

Lots of Port supporters despise Taylor Walker. I don't. I love his foot skills.

Ted Walker and it’s not even close.. after that you can look at Lukosious, Curnow etc but Tex is well ahead

Taylor Walker has been highly underrated his whole career for foot skills imo. Better than Dawson. His field kicking is up there with anyone I've seen.
His 50 metre pass to Cameron in the 2015 Elimination final was jaw dropping. Up there with a great goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure how the categories are calculated so it’s hard to take too much from it BUT being twice as good as the next guy at kick retention seems like a big deal
I don't watch a lot of Merrett, but someone kicking backwards to an uncontested defender every time would have a huge retention rating.

Threat rating is hard to separate from the team but his is really low.

This is an open discussion about who the best kickers are in the afl

4 categories

Best technique/style
1. Jordan Dawson
2. Jack Sinclair
3. Nick Daicos
4. Sheezel
5. Houston
6. Siciliy
7. Merret
8. J Kelly
9. Luckoscus
10. Dale

Best kicker under pressure

2. Sinclair
3. Pendlebury
4. Daicos
5. Butters
6. Toby Green

Most creative/damaging
1. Bontempelli
2. Toby Green
3. Jack Lucosious
4. Miers
5. Daicos
6. Sinclair
7. Sheezel

Best on opposite foot (really struggling with this one atm).

1. Sidebottom
2. Hunter clark adam cerra

I literally knew this was going to be from a stkilda supporter as soon as I saw Sinclair so high. Sinclair is nowhere near it.

Nick Daicos
Docherty
Taylor Walker
Jamie Elliott
Bailey Fritsch
Bont
Butters
Merrett

From a port point of view as I’m better placed to comment on them..

Farrell and Houston are elite kicks of the football. High end talents. Can kick the cover off the ball, get low piercing kicks that travel and hit targets and be creative. Known goal kickers.

I’m not going to argue if they’re the best, there’s quite a few absolute gun kicks and others watching them would have a better view but there’s no doubt these 2 are among the elite group in the afl.

Rozee has an elite weapon of a kick but can fluff some.

Butters doesn’t have an elite kick like those other players at all, but his vision , touch and creativity is insane. Willing to hold the ball an extra second and try stuff others wouldn’t and it comes off.

Marshall is one of the better kicking kfs going around. Known for his set shot but his vision and mental speed on field kicks is lightening quick. Occasionally they won’t come off but does plenty of things that make you go wow. It’s clear that if there was a test for processing speed on reading and reacting he would score out the wazoo and has the foot skills to execute.

Around the afl luko young and Lachie Whitfield have always been a few of my fav kicks.

I don’t subscribe to this. Literally every high threat kicker is a current HBFer in the comp.

Now it could be that they play HBF because they can produce this result, but I reckon this result is more so because of the fact they’re playing HB and kicking it 30-40-50 metres forward to wingman or finding an open man in the corridor, which is helping their score.

A lot have mentioned Tex in here which I agree with yet he isn’t even in the top 28 of that list.

I literally knew this was going to be from a stkilda supporter as soon as I saw Sinclair so high. Sinclair is nowhere near it.

Nick Daicos
Docherty
Taylor Walker
Jamie Elliott
Bailey Fritsch
Bont
Butters
Merrett
I knew you didn’t watch Carlton games.

Docherty isn’t anywhere near it.

I’m baffled he has gotten a mention.

Trent Rivers got rated as the best field kicker

The Pies have a reasonable skill level for maybe the first time in my life, there isn't a standout dud. There's a bunch of lovely long kicks and most can execute under pressure as well as when they have time.

Elliot is a fine kick under pressure, seems less so when its not life and death. I would say he's almost the worst kick in the forward line unless its the last minute and we're down by 5 points.

A few comments to add, Pendles seems a safe kick but I suspect that's partly a function of his poise: he's rarely under pressure. He's is a skilled kick but I feel his awareness accentuates this.

Ash Johnson is the same, an even more skilled kick than Pendles (goal kicking, and I believe field kicking too) and its definitely magnified because he's taken a step to where the ball is going before anyone knew it was going there.

Sidey is elite on both sides whether he's in the avalanche or skiing out wide, although his range is diminishing as he ages. I mean there's bunch of decent kicks now, eg Ginnivan has all the kicks and executes under pressure too, when he's not ducking.

Threat Rating

There's a new one
Champion Data coming up with magic words for young blokes to feel smart about and gamble on. Pies and Melbourne play direct top 4 footy so we get 2 and 1 players in their AA, Sydney and Footscray's overcookers get 3 players each LMAO. Oh and no one at Brisbane gets a spot, apparently they aren't the superb skilled footy side the rest of the world sees.

The criminal gambling industry will destroy our sport if we let it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back