Who is the the games best defender currently? What defender has had the best season? ( can be lockdown or medium).

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammy1992

Senior List
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Having a discussion and debate with some friends about who is the best defender in the AFL currently considering their whole career?

I’m a Geelong supporter and may be bias, but I firmly believe Tom Stewart is the best defender( and one of the best players) in the AFL. The bloke is about to get his 5th AA jacket in 7 years!! He is Geelongs best player this year and in general.

In terms of this year, maybe Darcy Moore is #1 this year but T Stewart is a close second. My mate is saying Sicily has had a better year and is a better player in the first argument.

What’s people objective thoughts on this?

Been watching Darcy Moore closely in 1 on 1s and if a mid gives the ball just a tad too much airtime to a kick i50, Moore will get a fist to it. He is unbeatable at present.

Sicily an utter superstar, one of the best in the game, but missing 4 weeks through suspension may cost him a blazer.

Sam Taylor at GWS a seriously good KPD.

Been watching Darcy Moore closely in 1 on 1s and if a mid gives the ball just a tad too much airtime to a kick i50, Moore will get a fist to it. He is unbeatable at present.
Didn't Taylor Walker kick 5 on him a month ago?

hardly unbeatable but a top line player no doubt, especially when he is allowed to unaccountable to his direct opponent

up until this season, steven may

currently, sam taylor

Sam Taylor
James Sicily
Harris Andrews
Darcy Moore
Isaac Quaynor
Charlie Ballard
Allir
Tom Stewart

And your mate is right. Sicily>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stewart this season.

Sam Taylor

Definite gun, but could mark a little more imo

Who's your vote for?
On purely this years form?

Probably Sicily or Reid. I would have Moore in the conversation too

If we were going off the previous few years it would be May and Stewart though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's lost 9.7% of one v ones all season, which puts him second to only Sam Taylor (6.8%).

Thanks, so he's not the best one on one defender in the game, let alone one on one player.

Appreciate you confirming.

Good player JW but not in the top few defenders in the AFL this season.

That includes a 6 game stretch where he was in the worst form of his career.

Right, so we'll take out all the bad games and only count the ones where he did well then?

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Right, so we'll take out all the bad games and only count the ones where he did well then?

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Every player has periods when they're in s**t form. This thread is about the best defender, not AA. Weitering doesn't deserve AA this year because of that patch where the entire team played like s**t. But if you asked me to pick one defender to build my team around it would be him.

Every player has periods when they're in s**t form. This thread is about the best defender, not AA. Weitering doesn't deserve AA this year because of that patch where the entire team played like s**t. But if you asked me to pick one defender to build my team around it would be him.

Read the title of the thread.

Then come back to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back