Who is the the games best defender currently? What defender has had the best season? ( can be lockdown or medium).

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not often someone just lays out their stupidity so nicely. You've even bolded it. Delightful.

Caught this before I put you on ignore.

You do realise those are your quotes? Or are you actually that thick?

You have literally contradicted yourself idiotboy.

Ciao

James Sicily is the best defender in the game. Taylor, Stewart and Moore the next best.

Caught this before I put you on ignore.

You do realise those are your quotes? Or are you actually that thick?

You have literally contradicted yourself idiotboy.

Ciao
It's only a contradiction to you because you don't understand basic English. I really hope you find help.

Sicily for me, he has the rare mix of being a great stopper 1v1 but also THE play maker at the same time. Very few players can do that.

As a pure stopper, at his best, Weitering, but for reasons above, I would take Sicily

Our best would be the 23 year old Balta with improvement still to come followed closely by Dan Rioli who is one of the most dynamic half backs in the game.

Luke McDonald

Sicily for me, he has the rare mix of being a great stopper 1v1 but also THE play maker at the same time. Very few players can do that.

As a pure stopper, at his best, Weitering, but for reasons above, I would take Sicily

Our best would be the 23 year old Balta with improvement still to come followed closely by Dan Rioli who is one of the most dynamic half backs in the game.
Sicily is a freak, that's for sure. How many games did he play as a forward at the start of his career?

Didn't Taylor Walker kick 5 on him a month ago?

hardly unbeatable but a top line player no doubt, especially when he is allowed to unaccountable to his direct opponent
Collingwood rarely play one on one in the backline and rely on Moore, Murphy, Quaynor and Howe guarding space and intercepting. Moore takes ownership and will have the most impact by far out of those three, intercepting and spoiling by running off whoever he's closest to. You have to look more at what the opposition s a whole score rather than any one player if you want to analyse how well Moore and the other two have played and Collingwood have had the least points scored against them so far. Also, there's been a number of games where opposition teams have absolutely dominated territory for extended periods and haven't been able to hurt Collingwood on the scoreboard precisely because of the backline's ability to withstand sustained pressure.

For consistency, it's hard to split Stewart, Sicily and Moore across their careers thus far. They're just innate in what they do. It's not just intercept marking. They spoil, they transition the ball and turn defence into offence in the blink of an eye. They also have elite disposal, and give that bit extra where others may throw in the towel.

All three remind me of Matty Scarlett, and the way he changed the game. They all have elements of SOS and Rance about them too. The best KPD's are currently Allir, Andrews, Weitering, Taylor and Payne, for mine. When it comes to general defenders, and the ability to play small and tall, act as a general in the game, and genuinely change the face of the game when they play - it's those 3 by a country mile.

At the moment Stewart has them pegged given his career to date, but Sicily and Moore's influence is massive, and who really knows who will be the best of the 3 come the end of their careers. All I know is, if any one of those 3 doesn't play, their respective team's defence is massively impacted, and teams are able to score much easier - such is their roles as the 'general' in their teams. You would only have to watch this season in isolation, to see just how important each player is to their team.

In regards to this season, if Sicily had of played more games, no one would have been close. As it stands, I have Moore #1, followed closely by Sicily at #2 and Stewart at #3. All 3 would be deserving of AA selection, but only Moore guaranteed at this stage.

Taylor, Moore, May, Andrews and Sicily are the best.

It's odd that you don't include Stewart...given he's achieved more, and done more in his career to date than all 5 of them combined? Each to their own though.

S Taylor, D Moore, T Stewart, J Sicily all guns. Sicily was incredible on the weekend v us. Gave Riewoldt a bath.

From us, think Noah Balta is slightly underrated, is no.1 in the AFL this year for intercept marks and =2 for contested marks. On the offensive side he's 6th for score launches (roosts it an absolute mile). Definite level below the best in the league but wouldn't surprise me if he's up there in a year or two.

Sicily was amazing, but Riewoldt missing a few gettable shots helped (also Sicily got - unusually for him - some umpire love in Q4). Clearly our best player, and the stat I heard the other week is that we're a 30 point better team defensively when he plays.

On your other point, I like Balta. His flexibility in being capable of playing other positions gives him an extra level of insight in defence, which will bolster his career along the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't lie, James Sicily has blossomed into a far better defender and player than I ever thought possible. Carries the Hawks from defense.

Weitering needs to add another layer to his game to become a consistent AA calibre KPD.
He borders on elite when up and running but needs to add more defensive cover for his other defenders.
Lacks elite spread coverage.
Has the ability to do so - Hasn’t had a great 2nd wheel to assist, Young being the preferred option up until recently.
Has his prime years in front of him.
Love Taylor from GWS but probably sits in the same basket
Moore the clear best current KPD
Sicily / Stewart the best Mid-size
Like Quaynor as a small but don’t think he has gone past someone like Saad just yet.

Isaac Quaynor is another I rate highly. He has great mitts and can pluck ‘em. I read he has only lost 1 one on one contest all season.
Just had a look, he's only lost 3 from 21 one on one contests. That's marking though I believe, so probably not a good judge for a small/med defender. Saad would be up there too from my lot, sort of player you feel confident whenever the ball goes near them.

Im going to say Darcy Moore, not because I rate his ability, but If I was a forward and a bloke who no one has ever heard pass wind came up behind me at a great rate of knots I'd be nervous and as * too.

Its gotta be the rarest skillset, Noah Balta!

Good thread because this is a very hot field at the moment. And players and teams are adopting new ways to deploy their defensive guns all the time.

From what I have seen this season, Sam Taylor in the games he has played has been head and shoulders above anyone else. Official Player Ratings and Coaches vote average confirms him as number 1 Key Defender this season. He has Buckley flying beside him as well and if GWS manage to make finals(tough remaining games) then they will be a threat to any opponent, and these guys along with Toby and Briggs and their high paid players like Coniglio, Kelly, Haynes and Whitfield all seem to be flying. Those key defenders are such an asset though, they just about totally eliminate the most effient paths opponents can take to goal.

I saw Sicily first hand on Saturday and he is a very very good footballer. His weakness in his role is a slight lack of height, and I think he would really benefit from having a gun key defensive stopper on the payroll at Hawks.

Darcy Moore is obviously flying now, but I always wonder about him when he is forced to defend against quality Key Forward not on his own terms. He seems to be improved in that area though.

Harris Andrews seems to have his role sorted out better now and is playing brilliant footy.

Weitering had a bad patch but is a top quality Key Defender, I just always think he could take a few more risks and make his opponents chase him a bit more.

I haven't watched a Cats game for a while but Stewart is obviously going well. Obviously benefits in public discourse from the Cats player bonus, if you wear the hoops and you are better than average in your position you become an all timer.

The Tigers don't have "the best defender currently" but would be very close to being the best overall defensive unit when they are all out there. Balta obviously catches the eye and is on the up, but still has some areas of improvement to break into the top echelon. Tylar Young is one to watch, you won't notice him unless you watch specifically, but he is exceptionally good at the defensive elements of the game, in his first year in the AFL as a 24yo he has some very good defensive statistics. Broad is a very under-rated player, essentially 27th ranked defender in the AFL this year. Vlastuin is a class medium defender. Rioli and Short very damaging runners and kicks and Grimes remains a very competent defender of dangerous opponents. Short's as yet unbroken run of 6 goals without a miss and without a disposal from inside 50m would have to be one of the rarest quirky achievements in AFL history.

But the answer to this thread for me is clearly Sam Taylor, absolutely dominant player this season and to think he squeezed in time for a long term injury within the season makes it remarkable. One of the handful of most valuable players in the AFL right now.

Sam Taylor is a KPP that I rate. That's if we are talking about attacking and defending from that position. Weitering can really blanket a few guys as a pure lock down and Moore can play off his opponent as good as anyone.

Stewart I rate when we are considering more the 3rd tall and attacking option.

Access the smalls, we have a few that have been doing there jobs. Saad is one who I think should get mentioned he can lock down and rebound as good as any of his peers. Quaynor has been awesome this year locking away his opponent and rebounding when it's his turn, but hasn't had the licence to go at all cost as some other smalls.

Id say Sicily If we are talking about overall defender across ALL positions in the defensive half. Defending on talls/smalls and rebounding/Intercepting on both.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back