Most successful Long term deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that is as true as you think.

Of course Martin was a key pillar of Richmond's success but Lynch way more instrumental than people seem to recall. He was the Lions leading goalkicker in every single one of their flag years and comfortably so.

In 2001 he kicked 58 goals. In 2002, he kicked 74 goals. In 2003, he kicked 78 goals! (and he kicked 40 goals from 11 completed games in '04 as well). Over the 3 flag years, he kicked 210 goals which is nearly 100 more (98) than any other Lion!

Jonathon Brown, by comparison, kicked a total of 79 goals across those 3 years (at an average of just 26 per season).

In the 2002 Grand Final, Brisbane beat Collingwood by just 9 points (with the margin under a goal for most of the last quarter). No Lion kicked more than 1 goal that day, except for Lynch who kicked 4 goals!, including the go ahead goal in the last that put them in front. In a low scoring game, Lynch kicked 40% of the Lions goals! He also kicked 5 in the Prelim against top of the table Port the week before.

In 2003, Lynch kicked a staggering 16 goals in the finals series! The next best Lion managed 8. Lynch kicked 4 in the Grand Final and whilst the Lions ran away with it, Lynch kicked 3 of his 4 goals in the first half which is when the heat was on and Brisbane won the game.

That's of course not to mention that Lynch did so whilst being paid absolute peanuts (close to the lowest paid player on the team), which greatly assisted Brisbane in being able to keep all its stars together.

Without Lynch, there is a high likelihood that that (awful) Collingwood team would have gone back to back (and now be on 18 flags) whilst the Lions would be nothing more than a talented footnote in history. What a horrifying thought!
Yeah I think it’s a recency bias thing, I’ve accepted I was wrong about it being Martin and then daylight. It’s hard to split Lynch and Martin but if pressed I’d still go with Martin likely out of stubborn inability to accept I got it completely wrong

Yeah I think it’s a recency bias thing, I’ve accepted I was wrong about it being Martin and then daylight. It’s hard to split Lynch and Martin but if pressed I’d still go with Martin likely out of stubborn inability to accept I got it completely wrong

I don't really have a great sense of the Lynch deal so cannot comment too much on it, but clearly an astute piece of business for Brisbane.

I am a punter and I have always tried to follow the good principle of investing the biggest stakes in the bets that offer the best value. That can be pretty scary at times when you see a price offered by the market that seems great value compared to your estimation of the correct price, so you work out the right stake to invest according to the size of your bank. And you say to yourself, *, if this goes wrong I am not going to be smiling for a while. What if I am wrong about the value? What if I am right, but it goes wrong? Then you remind yourself, that if you want to succeed, you need to deploy your biggest stakes on your best bets.

I am pretty sure Dustin Martin's contract was the biggest average salary per year paid to a player on a contract from totally within the salary cap(with no ambassadorial component or other ex-cap payments.) And that remains the case 6 years after he signed the deal. Inflation will soon enough mean there will be bigger deals signed, but this was a really big contract. And North were reported to have offered around 25-30% more in an under-rated astute piece of list management that they don't ever get credit for. That deal from North would have been 40% or more higher than any other player has been paid to this day, 6 years on. So these two clubs at least were prepared to invest massive amounts in Dusty. There is no doubt he has more than proven the huge offers to be excellent value for the clubs. Players who can do what he did in Richmond's Premiership years are just priceless. It is not a matter of just saying they might have won 1, 2 or even 3 Grand Finals without him(they wouldn't have.) In each of those seasons Richmond were in a mid-season position needing to win something like 32 of 35 games to finish top 4 then win the flag. Dusty was BOG in over half of those games.

Whether there is one better value deal somewhere in history, I doubt it, but it is possible. But Richmond's deal with Dusty proves completely that long term marquee deals can pay off in a big way for the club, as well as the player.

An amazing career. If there's anything missing it's a flag at the Swans which never quite worked out and in the last handful of years, his form (largely injury related) probably wasn't worth the cap space of the deal. Think he might have had a few injury plagued seasons where he missed a lot of footy
Not getting a flag isn't on Buddy though. He won so many games off his own boot that we wouldn't have even come close to having the opportunity to play off for a flag in those years and its not like he squibbed it on Grand Final day like so many others did. His extra one-year contract was always a mistake though.

The trouble with these threads is that the terms of references are never established, so posters just make up their own criteria that justifies their PoV.

If Al Lynch is the consensus GOAT LTD, then who is the WOAT LTD?

If Big Bud is controversial as a successful LTD, who would be a comparable unsuccessful LTD?

Successful from who's perspective? Club, Player, Fan, Media, etc

What is success? Premierships, Individual awards, ToG%, etc

And so on...

Most successful for the player? Buddy Franklin. Huge money, great lifestyle and it never caused him to be ambivalent about his craft. I would argue whatever problems he did have in Sydney weren't caused by that contract (he had them in Melbourne too).

Most successful for the club? Al Lynch. Dirt cheap contract for a dominant key forward resulting in having enough salary cap to create a super team that won the first modern threepeat.

The interesting question is, if you were the player, would you prefer the buddy or the lynch move? I would go bud every time (you are retired a long time, your body never goes a day without hurting, and money makes everything better).

I don't really have a great sense of the Lynch deal so cannot comment too much on it, but clearly an astute piece of business for Brisbane.

I am a punter and I have always tried to follow the good principle of investing the biggest stakes in the bets that offer the best value. That can be pretty scary at times when you see a price offered by the market that seems great value compared to your estimation of the correct price, so you work out the right stake to invest according to the size of your bank. And you say to yourself, *, if this goes wrong I am not going to be smiling for a while. What if I am wrong about the value? What if I am right, but it goes wrong? Then you remind yourself, that if you want to succeed, you need to deploy your biggest stakes on your best bets.

I am pretty sure Dustin Martin's contract was the biggest average salary per year paid to a player on a contract from totally within the salary cap(with no ambassadorial component or other ex-cap payments.) And that remains the case 6 years after he signed the deal. Inflation will soon enough mean there will be bigger deals signed, but this was a really big contract. And North were reported to have offered around 25-30% more in an under-rated astute piece of list management that they don't ever get credit for. That deal from North would have been 40% or more higher than any other player has been paid to this day, 6 years on. So these two clubs at least were prepared to invest massive amounts in Dusty. There is no doubt he has more than proven the huge offers to be excellent value for the clubs. Players who can do what he did in Richmond's Premiership years are just priceless. It is not a matter of just saying they might have won 1, 2 or even 3 Grand Finals without him(they wouldn't have.) In each of those seasons Richmond were in a mid-season position needing to win something like 32 of 35 games to finish top 4 then win the flag. Dusty was BOG in over half of those games.

Whether there is one better value deal somewhere in history, I doubt it, but it is possible. But Richmond's deal with Dusty proves completely that long term marquee deals can pay off in a big way for the club, as well as the player.
If I were a conventional gambler this is how I would feel.

Instead I gamble on something very niche where it is almost impossible to lose but hard to get anyone to agree to bet, so none of that logic works :(

Most successful for the player? Buddy Franklin. Huge money, great lifestyle and it never caused him to be ambivalent about his craft. I would argue whatever problems he did have in Sydney weren't caused by that contract (he had them in Melbourne too).

Most successful for the club? Al Lynch. Dirt cheap contract for a dominant key forward resulting in having enough salary cap to create a super team that won the first modern threepeat.

The interesting question is, if you were the player, would you prefer the buddy or the lynch move? I would go bud every time (you are retired a long time, your body never goes a day without hurting, and money makes everything better).
The Alistair Lynch deal literally was the buddy deal before the buddy deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch at Brisbane was the dragon to be chased. Signed long term before salary went anywhere.

No offence but Lynch slept through a large chunk of his contract. Worked out very well in the end though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Alistair Lynch deal literally was the buddy deal before the buddy deal
No it wasn't. Lynch was nowhere close to the highest paid player per year. Over the course of the contract he was massively underpaid.

If I were a conventional gambler this is how I would feel.

Instead I gamble on something very niche where it is almost impossible to lose but hard to get anyone to agree to bet, so none of that logic works :(

Going by my own experience Caligo, you are probably more fortunate than you think if you can't make a living betting.

But it can be one of the hazards of betting that when you have the market cornered nobody wants to bet against you. What sport do you bet on?

Going by my own experience Caligo, you are probably more fortunate than you think if you can't make a living betting.

But it can be one of the hazards of betting that when you have the market cornered nobody wants to bet against you. What sport do you bet on?
Oh I know actually trying to make a living betting is not a good thing. I just miss the fact that 25 years ago there were dozens of bars and clubs you could go to bet on pool at, and now between poker machines and a lack of tables it just isn't a thing any more.

Gosh we moved a long way from the topic at hand though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back