Footy in the USA

Which club would be the most popular in the US?

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Carlton

• Collingwood

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Essendon

• Fremantle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong

• Gold Coast

• Greater Western Sydney

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Western Bulldogs

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I preface this post by saying that it's not intended to be all that serious.

In light of what Mason Cox said about wanting to spread the game to the US, which Australian clubs would be popular there? This is of course hypothetically speaking, but let's pretend that Cox's marketing in the US ends up successful and that a significant number of people start watching AFL in particular. These are my own views:

1. The first club that comes to mind is West Coast. That name itself would catch on like wildfire along the West Coast of the US IMO.

2. Collingwood would be my second pick. Mason Cox would make sure that all US footy fans know Collingwood. He can just say that he's the most memorable American Premiership player and that's all that is needed.

3. GWS. Not only are they a Sydney-based team, but they also have fairly American vibe about them. They would be easy to market there.

4. Sydney. The first Australian city that comes to a foreigner's mind is Sydney. Looking at the list of teams, someone who doesn't know anything about Australia would likely know of (or know someone in) Sydney.

Clubs like Essendon, Richmond, and Carlton would probably be popular as well given that big clubs usually attract international supporters. I don't know how well the "Bombers" nickname along with the plane image would go though for obvious reasons.

I also think a club like North Melbourne would attract people just because the kangaroo mascot would make it seem like a very Aussie club.

Although, trying to market the nickname "Bombers" or an airplane there might end up being difficult for obvious reasons.

Sooooo, which one?

It's pretty obvious...

9FA004_018.jpg
images
1703751002608.png
images

spike-the-bulldog-mascot-school-list-u3
800px-Fresno_State_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png

With the national colours being red, white and blue, so many of their teams wearing those colours, and many college football team adopting the Bulldogs as their team mascot (including 2 time national champion Georgia Bulldogs), the Western Bulldogs are the team most Americans would adopt.

im on a college football forum (Just for Boise State) and there's 1 or 2 others who make a thread talking about footy.

1 is a Cats fan but has soft spots for Collingwood and Port Adelaide. The other I can't recall if they've stated who they support.

I'd look at it from a zoning perspective. Like if the AFL were to do a pre-season US initiative, and each club would get their own market.

Big 4
Collingwood: all of Texas to themselves (greedy)
GWS Giants: New York
West Coast: Los Angeles
Sydney: Chicago

Mid size
Carlton: Philadelphia
Adelaide: Atlanta
Essendon: Boston
Richmond: Phoenix
Hawthorn: Denver (middle-of-nowhere Dingley vibes, but still a strong market)
Fremantle: San Francisco
Geelong: Detroit

Gimmick markets
Brisbane: Las Vegas
Gold Coast: Florida
St Kilda: New Orleans
Tasmania: Seattle

The others
Melbourne: Washington, DC (capital of USA, just as Melbourne is the capital of Australia)
North Melbourne: Utah and Kansas City
Port Adelaide: Charlotte
Western Bulldogs: Wisconsin

Sydney is the only city most Americans have heard of, but they do think it is in central Europe.

Some have also heard of Melborn. They aren't too sure where it is though.

Thing is NRL now has the jump on the AFL in regards to the US now they have actually locked in playing dates in Vegas in a few months.

Gil just didn't have enough vision.

Absolutely a mistake to experiment in China while ignoring a big English speaking, allied market.

Last edited:
Thing is NRL now has the jump on the AFL in regards to the US now they have actually locked in playing dates in Vegas in a few months.

Gil just didn't have enough vision.

Absolutely a mistake to experiment in China while ignoring a big English speaking, allied market.
Gil had been to USA heaps of times. Never been to China, so got a few free trips to China out if it. That’s all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd look at it from a zoning perspective. Like if the AFL were to do a pre-season US initiative, and each club would get their own market.

Big 4

Mid size

Gimmick markets

The others
Melbourne: Washington, DC (capital of USA, just as Melbourne is the capital of Australia)
Very apt comparisons

Lol'd at Geelong and Detroit

Big 4

Mid size

Gimmick markets

The others
Hawthorn would be better as Boston. The regular rate of pennants whilst still not really being a "big" club.

Sydney is the only city most Americans have heard of, but they do think it is in central Europe.

Some have also heard of Melborn. They aren't too sure where it is though.

I lived in the u.s on both the east coast and west coast across about 7 years. The high majority had heard of Melbourne I'd say above 80 percent, which was different to the 90s which when I traveled there as a kid, it was probably about 20 percent.

In saying that they only know the name, basically nothing else. Australian's thinking Americans care about us is about the equivalent of people in the Solomon islands thinking the average Aussie cares about them.

I lived in the u.s on both the east coast and west coast across about 7 years. The high majority had heard of Melbourne I'd say above 80 percent, which was different to the 90s which when I traveled there as a kid, it was probably about 20 percent.

In saying that they only know the name, basically nothing else. Australian's thinking Americans care about us is about the equivalent of people in the Solomon islands thinking the average Aussie cares about them.
That is indeed my experience also. My NYer fiance being a perfect example. She would joke that I don't actually exist since all Australians are actually actors.

Magpies - The Mason Cox factor.

Bulldogs - They love their red, white and blue.

Bombers - The yanks love bombing the s**t out of civilians in the name of freedom.

Saints - A bible thumpers wet dream.

You're talking about a country who didn't even know they were hosting the World Cup. Let alone what it was.

Back