Swans have ten premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no argument about what clubs can or cannot count in their own history books. Very different to the history books of this specific league (the VFL/AFL).
This.

No one has taken anything away from Geelong. This doddering clown Carter wants the League to recognize flags it did not award, at a time it did not exist.

It's a stupid discussion, I havent seen anything like an intelligent point from the Carter camp. When they aren't outright lying ("everyone forgets") they're advancing illogical conclusions ("ths VFA is like the AFL so it's the same, exactly the same").

Yeah, I get it. It's the same deal with the English Premier League. You go to their official site or the wikipedia page and they only include records or acknowledge the top flight of English football from 1992 onwards. But try and tell a Liverpool fan they've only won 1 title instead of 19, for example.

SANFL is an entirely seperate league with different teams in a different state that didn't evolve into the national competition the VFA/VFL/AFL did. Not sure why they should be included here.

Tbf and this might have already been covered, the VFA absolutely did not evolve into the VFL (historic VFL that is not the current VFL). The VFL and VFA competed for many years. If clubs want to count whatever then they might as well because who really cares. However the VFL/AFL started in 1897.

EDIT: For those interested, the Gaz man on YouTube is currently running through the history of Australian football. It’s a great series highlighting a history of the code that isn’t well spread, with most historical docos focusing on players not the actual sport/league. It’s sad that more people don’t know about some of the insane s**t that happened back in the day.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it. It's the same deal with the English Premier League. You go to their official site or the wikipedia page and they only include records or acknowledge the top flight of English football from 1992 onwards. But try and tell a Liverpool fan they've only won 1 title instead of 19, for example. ;)

SANFL is an entirely seperate league with different teams in a different state that didn't evolve into the national competition the VFA/VFL/AFL did. Not sure why they should be included here.
The VFA didn't evolve into the national competition, only the VFL did.

Who gives a crap. Let the historians argue over it.

What matters now is that Collingwood are gawwwn, Adelaide are not living up the expectations, Saints might be good, Essendon have a very very very scary edge, Hawks are bad, where are Port/Brisbane at?, and how about the Sydney teams?

So if the Pies form a merger with North King Island Bulldogs we'll have a gazllion flags? Waow.

Carter's sorry cope strategies for Geelongs mediocre silverware problem is a sad exercise in intellectual dishonesty. No one "forgot" Geelong had VFA flags, and IIRC all of those he claims were award post facto by journalists. Even by his own shabby illogic he adds nothing to the cupboard.

All clubs should be proud of all flags they have won, but we contest the Big League, the AFL which was formerly the VFL. Its a lovely troll to claim journo-guessed non flags from a different league and gets a rise, but you're making a laughing stock of this Carter bloke who hasn't got two brain cells to rub together these days. Its borderline elder abuse to let him disgrace himself in this way.
I don't understand why everyone gets so up in arms about Geelong and our 70s/80s VFA premierships whenever this discussion is brought up.
I mean, the thread is about Sydney recognising the premierships they won during that era - yet multiple people in this thread want to make it about Geelong.

Good on them, but I believe they are selling themselves short and that those flags should be formally recognised in the club's premiership list by the AFL - just as Geelong's, Carlton's, Melbourne's, Collingwood's and Essendon's (etc.) extra flag/s should be.

I believe that all flags from 1870 should be counted. That is, all flags from the premier Australian Rules competition in the country at the time (sorry Port Adelaide), which contained the majority of the teams which then made up the VFL in 1897. What many people don't know is that these flags were in fact counted in each club's official totals up until about 1920, before the revisionists came along and essentially erased them from history. It's all unpacked in Colin Carter's book - 'Football's Forgotten Years'.

As we know, Carter has been pushing for history to be properly restored for some time now. Trying to correct what the revionists all but wiped out 100 years ago, and to properly honor the accomplishments of these great and pioneering teams of the past with the respect and recognition they deserve.

Clubs like Sydney, Carlton, Melbourne and Essendon should really get behind the push too and show solidarity with Carter and Geelong to make this important restoration of history come into fruition. Let's be honest, if Collingwood had more than 1 flag to gain, Eddie would be first in line kicking and screaming.

And Geelong adding 7 flags isn’t influencing your view at all right?

Why can’t things just stay as they are.

I don't understand why everyone gets so up in arms about Geelong and our 70s/80s VFA premierships whenever this discussion is brought up.
I mean, the thread is about Sydney recognising the premierships they won during that era - yet multiple people in this thread want to make it about Geelong.
Because half of the article linked in the OP is discussing Colin Carter's delusional push to do that.

This thread would otherwise be a pretty short one - no one really cares how Sydney wish to recognise their history, they're free to do as they please.

It's a fair troll but no one can take this seriously.

Carter as a former commissioner has embarrassed himself with this demented garbage.

Geelong can claim whatever they want. Begging the League to include revisionist non flags from a rival comp is plain wrong. It casts doubt on Carters actions in office that he makes such claims now.

Has he always been this deranged?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back