Standardised premiership tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Pie thon

Senior List
Oct 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
For some fun, which was quick on excel to do, I made a standardised points system for the premiership tally (not perfect of course, but i liked the outcome)

Rather than a simple premiership tally, a points system designated to each premiership won. In this example, I gave a weighting to the first premiership won in 1897 a value of 100, 101 to 1898, 102, 1899, ect.. all the way to 227 to the 2023 premiership

I think everyone agrees that the most recent premiership should hold the most points, as they bring greater bragging rights at the present time, but this tally also maintains historical premierships are tallied so they are not lost in time as the league continues to forever evolve

Why this formula seems successful?... Well to me at least
I thought if Hawthorne was on top, given the high concentration of flags in living memory, that it would be a good start. Carlton being ahead with more recent premierships than Essendon and then Collingwood in living memory to split the 3 at 16.
Richmonds recent dynasty and 1960s to 1980 era to come ahead of Melbourne to split them at 13.
Port Adelaide being ranked above St Kilda at 1 each, and Adelaide being ranked above the Bulldogs at 2
And the one I was most interested in was West Coast, as they have 4 fairly recent premierships. And I think its fair they ended up ranking a bit ahead of Sydney with the higher tally at 5, given 3 premierships were pre 1934, and instead of being 1/4 of the tally of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, they come up 1/3 behind. or 40% behind Melbourne rather 30%. And if they won 7 before any of the top 4 sides in this tally, they would likely be rated highest even at 11, which sounds right given their shorter time frame.
Finally, if Brisbane had won, they would have been higher than West Coast which would be fair, and if North win before Sydney their 5 rate at a higher value

You see these types of ratings systems in Tennis and Cricket rankings. Maybe there could be an official AFL style. Are you for or against something like this?

TeamPoints
Hawthorn
2525​
Carlton
2478​
Essendon
2408​
Collingwood
2334​
Richmond
2221​
Melbourne
2008​
Geelong
1748​
Fitzroy
933​
West Coast
816​
Sydney
797​
North Melbourne
763​
Brisbane
618​
Adelaide
403​
Western Bulldogs
378​
Port Adelaide
208​
St Kilda
170​

Last edited:

For some fun, which was quick on excel to do, I made a standardised points system for the premiership tally (not perfect of course, but i liked the outcome)

Rather than a simple premiership tally, a points system designated to each premiership won. In this example, I gave a weighting to the first premiership won in 1897 a value of 100, 101 to 1898, 102, 1899, ect.. all the way to 227 to the 2023 premiership

I think everyone agrees that the most recent premiership should hold the most points, as they bring greater bragging rights at the present time, but this tally also maintains historical premierships are tallied so they are not lost in time as the league continues to forever evolve

Why this formula seems successful?... Well to me at least
I thought if Hawthorne was on top, given the high concentration of flags in living memory, that it would be a good start. Carlton being ahead with more recent premierships than Essendon and then Collingwood in living memory to split the 3 at 16.
Richmonds recent dynasty and 1960s to 1980 era to come ahead of Melbourne to split them at 13.
Port Adelaide being ranked above St Kilda at 1 each, and Adelaide being ranked above the Bulldogs at 2
And the one I was most interested in was West Coast, as they have 4 fairly recent premierships. And I think its fair they ended up ranking a bit ahead of Sydney with the higher tally at 5, given 3 premierships were pre 1934, and instead of being 1/4 of the tally of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, they come up 1/3 behind. or 40% behind Melbourne rather 30%. And if they won 7 before any of the top 4 sides in this tally, they would likely be rated highest even at 11, which sounds right given their shorter time frame.
Finally, if Brisbane had won, they would have been higher than West Coast which would be fair, and if North win before Sydney their 5 rate at a higher value

You see these types of ratings systems in Tennis and Cricket rankings. Maybe there could be an official AFL style. Are you for or against something like this?

TeamPoints
Hawthorne
2525​
Carlton
2478​
Essendon
2408​
Collingwood
2334​
Richmond
2221​
Melbourne
2008​
Geelong
1748​
Fitzroy
933​
West Coast
816​
Sydney
797​
North Melbourne
763​
Brisbane
618​
Adelaide
403​
Western Bulldogs
378​
Port Adelaide
208​
St Kilda
170​
The credibility of this AFL table was lost with Fitzroy above eagles.
Start a vfl thread if you need your kicks

If going back you should have a formula which weights premierships against the number of teams in the competition. Obviously less teams = easier to win.

And a second (separate part) which takes into account years in the competition.
Its kind of on par, 8 teams in 1897. 8/18 teams 44% vs 100/227 44% for 1897 vs 2023. Then marries up kind of on par as teams were added, results would be similar

Geelong and Carlton supporters say go back to 1877
Thats fair if they want it to do that exercise too. Id be interested to see if it helps Geelong catch up much, i would reduce the value at a faster rate than 1 per year going back on those 40 years though

The only way to do something like this is to provide X points for premier, Y points for runner-up, and so on, to see who the best team in the history of the competition is.
Says the bloke whos own team has the all time record for getting beat in grand finals!

Yeah lets introduce points for getting beat! 🤣🤣

The credibility of this AFL table was lost with Fitzroy above eagles.
Start a vfl thread if you need your kicks
This actually helps make newer teams like Fremantle more relevant in the tally, you can jump up the rankings faster ahead of Saints and Port at your first one.
West Coast and Brisbane wont want their tallies wiped clean when Tasmania join.
As mentioned in my original post, the league is forever evolving. I put Collingwood at 4th, showing my willingness to compromise

1. All time record for Grand Final wins
2. All time record for Runners Up
3. All time record for Preliminary Finals appearances, and so on...
But then it takes away from the newer teams being able to participate in the ratings system in a more meaningful way

Different if we were in a forum with Carlton and Essendon supported only, i would be pulling all the stats out to back you up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's the case, we should also downgrade teams who lost a final on the way to winning a premiership.

Because you can only play by the rules of the finals system of the day.
When the rules don't involve having to play a GF to win a flag those wins surely must be downgraded, under the right to challenge rules many of Collingwood's multiple GF losses could have been counted as wins.

Thats fair if they want it to do that exercise too. Id be interested to see if it helps Geelong catch up much, i would reduce the value at a faster rate than 1 per year going back on those 40 years though

If you count 1896 as 99, 1895 as 98 etc and go back to 1870

Melbourne
73​
Carlton
74​
Melbourne
75​
Carlton
76​
Carlton
77​
Carlton