Opinion Should Marvel tenants have the option to play a home final at Marvel?

Should Marvel tenants have the option to play a home final at Marvel?

• Yes

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not going so great for St Kilda at the MCG at the moment but you have to wonder how this game would be playing out if it was at St Kilda's actual home ground of Marvel Stadium. Should they have been given the option of their preferred home ground? Same question goes for all other Marvel tenants.

Against a fellow Melbourne side - debatable
Against a high drawing interstate side - fair enough
Against a low drawing interstate side - absolutely

Weird to think St Kilda have played 14 H&A games at Marvel this season and just two at the MCG, yet they've been forced to play a "home" final at the MCG. Maybe you could say it shouldn't matter if the grounds were the same size but they aren't - MCG 160m x 141m Marvel 159.5m x 128.5m. The Saints aren't used to playing on a ground that is so wide which kind of defeats the purpose of home ground advantage (excluding the crowd).

Weird to think St Kilda have played 14 H&A games at Marvel this season and just two at the MCG, yet they've been forced to play a "home" final at the MCG. Maybe you could say it shouldn't matter if the grounds were the same size but they aren't - MCG 160m x 141m Marvel 159.5m x 128.5m. The Saints aren't used to playing on a ground that is so wide which kind of defeats the purpose of home ground advantage (excluding the crowd).
Worse situation for the Hawks in 2007

0 home games at Docklands that year but had to play an elimination final there.

Saints at least had 1 home game at the G this year

Worse situation for the Hawks in 2007

0 home games at Docklands that year but had to play an elimination final there.

Saints at least had 1 home game at the G this year
Wasn't that to do with Collingwood hosting a home final at the MCG on the same day? Simple tinkering with the schedule (that they seem more willing to do these days) could have avoided that one. There's no reason why St Kilda can't play at Marvel today.

There's no reason why St Kilda can't play at Marvel today.
Finals should be played in front of the largest crowds possible. The MCG should be the only ground in Victoria in which Finals are played. The only possible exception would be if all 4 Finals in Week 1 were in Victoria.

I would say yes but… the whole home ground thing is pretty weird in Vic given no clubs have permanent home grounds. Every club plays home games at both grounds. St Kilda played a home game at the G this year. So it’s a bit hard to argue that they can play normal home games at another ground but not a home final.

If any clubs are totally exclusive, ie they play 11 home games at one ground, then their finals should absolutely be there.

Somehow “fell in” finishing 6th.

Righto.

I reckon the club would be chuffed playing finals at the MCG.
Yeah, well said.

I bet if all of the Saints players were surveyed, the vast majority would choose the G for their finals matches.

All those young blokes will be far better for the experience of playing in front of nearly 70k, of which probably 50k+ were rabid Sainters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you fit the ~63k who attended the game today into Marvel?
They have World Cup finals at 75k venues.

That’s the biggest gig on earth. If you could have a five million seat stadium, you could fill it for the World Cup.

Size of the stadium isn’t the be all and end all argument, teams should be able to play home finals at their home stadiums.

This is a lesson I suspect mcg team fans would immediately and instantly grasp about ten seconds after another state announced they were building a 200000 seat stadium. Then we would be right back at tradition, fairness etc.

Yeah, well said.

I bet if all of the Saints players were surveyed, the vast majority would choose the G for their finals matches.

All those young blokes will be far better for the experience of playing in front of nearly 70k, of which probably 50k+ were rabid Sainters.
Didn't the saints request to play it at marvel? Was sure I saw an article someone posted last week about that?

I would say yes but… the whole home ground thing is pretty weird in Vic given no clubs have permanent home grounds. Every club plays home games at both grounds. St Kilda played a home game at the G this year. So it’s a bit hard to argue that they can play normal home games at another ground but not a home final.

If any clubs are totally exclusive, ie they play 11 home games at one ground, then their finals should absolutely be there.
St k got 2 games in 23
2 in 22
2 in 21
3 in 19

Slightly above the average of an interstater and as far as I can see all against full time / part time mcg tenants.

Ridiculous logic.

Why should interstate teams be disadvantaged but big Vic clubs not?

Seeing how even GWS got 65,000 to the game, the fan base is now irrelevant as they will always oversell those smaller grounds regardless who is playing.

Either you go for the true home ground advantage then always has to be Marvel/Skilled. Or you go for the bigger crowd and is always MCG.

AFL needs to pick a lane and stick with it. If it’s fairness then they have to be okay with a marvel tenant hosting Collingwood at Marvel/Skilled.

Seeing how the GF is locked into the MCG for next 50 years and a lot of clubs only get 2 games a year there, I think having all Melbourne games the MCG is at least gives these teams some exposure before the big dance.

Dogs have not had a home game at the McG since roughly 2006. I reckon North would be the same.

Crowd at the Sharks v Roosters NRL finals at Shark Park last night: 12,567

Whilst the brand new Allianz Stadium, which holds 50k, sat empty 25km away.

Is this what we want for the AFL? Finals are meant to be a showcase of the league not just another home and away game.
If they played at Allianz the lower ranked team would be at their home ground and the higher ranked team would be playing an away game.

Back