List Mgmt. Future NGA's or Father Sons

Remove this Banner Ad

SteeleSaints

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought I would start a thread to highlight what future talent we may have access to going forward.

This year (July) Boston Everitt played in the Under 16 championships for Gold Coast and did pretty well.

Gold Coast Suns 6.14 (50) def by Brisbane Lions 8.11 (59)
Gold Coast Suns

Best: Boston Everitt, Max Marsh, Zeke Uwland, Harry Cook, Nelson Beikoff Smart, Leonardo Lombard
Goals: Boston Everitt 3, Jezz Butler, William Munro, Caleb Nancarrow

Please add any others kids we may have access to in the future.

Obviously way down the track, but IIRC:

Nick Riewoldt has 3 young boys
Lenny Hayes has 3 young boys

Of course they might not want to go into the AFL, but I’m sure plenty will be keeping tabs if they do take up the sport.

Joeys got boys, dals got boy, jase gram gram just had a boy and I think goddards got some. Fast forward 18 year we will have none because they change the rules 😂
Why must you hurt us with the truth?

D9A30A68-2201-4401-9022-ECFB6563B432.gif

Last edited:
Joeys got boys, dals got boy, jase gram gram just had a boy and I think goddards got some. Fast forward 18 year we will have none because they change the rules 😂
I dont think they will ever change father/son. They may tinker with the amount of games played to qualify, but as it stands it is reasonable.
Rooey's oldest is around 8-9yo so its not that far away :p Kosi has boy of similar age also.

They're coming.

Have we ever had a legit father son? Born in 93 and legitimately can't remember one.

David Sierakowski played in the 1997 GF and later helped us land Gehrig from West Coast

There’s been a few less successful F/S as outlined in this article

The bonanza reaped by clubs such as Geelong and Western Bulldogs has thus far eluded us but hopefully we’ll finally cash in with Riewoldt/Hayes/Koschitzke/Everitt etc

David Sierakowski played in the 1997 GF and later helped us land Gehrig from West Coast

There’s been a few less successful F/S as outlined in this article

The bonanza reaped by clubs such as Geelong and Western Bulldogs has thus far eluded us but hopefully we’ll finally cash in with Riewoldt/Hayes/Koschitzke/Everitt etc
"...the Saints have created a father-son induction program to help the club develop any potential recruits...."

"Past players Stewart Loewe, Andrew Thompson, Justin Peckett, Dean Rice, Jayson Daniels, David Grant, Steven Sziller, Tony Brown, Max Hudghton and Brett Voss as well as modern-day Saints Justin Koschitzke and Stephen Milne were on hand with their families to hear about the new program that will be closely monitored by St Kilda’s recruiting and development staff.

"The sons of former players Frank Coghlan, Robert Harvey, Austinn Jones and Peter Everitt will also be in the program.

"The ages of the potential father-sons range from 16 months to 16 years."

Wow!

This program - if it's still running - has been a total failure so far. Look at the names there and look at how many there are. How many players has it given us? Zilch. Zero. Nada. Rien. And those are just Sziller's kids. (Sorry, confusing and stupid joke there)

Not ONE player in 9 years apart from the disappointing Bailey Rice and Tyson Milne, currently on the frines of the VFL. Maybe every single one of the children of all of those gun players just wasn't any good or didn't want it hard enough...

Or maybe, just like most of the players on our club's list in the last 9 years, they didn't have a hope of being sufficiently motivated or developed.

But I confess I'm ignorant about the ages of these players, maybe they're all still really young and we'll start seeing results shortly. It's clear that so far in this respect the club is light years behind the leaders. I really hope that changes.

In any case, I don't see why we don't hear more about this program, at least getting more details about the kids, their ages, potential positions, and so on. I get that you wouldn't want to put too much pressure on them, but a yearly update at least wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"...the Saints have created a father-son induction program to help the club develop any potential recruits...."

"Past players Stewart Loewe, Andrew Thompson, Justin Peckett, Dean Rice, Jayson Daniels, David Grant, Steven Sziller, Tony Brown, Max Hudghton and Brett Voss as well as modern-day Saints Justin Koschitzke and Stephen Milne were on hand with their families to hear about the new program that will be closely monitored by St Kilda’s recruiting and development staff.

"The sons of former players Frank Coghlan, Robert Harvey, Austinn Jones and Peter Everitt will also be in the program.

Wow!

This program - if it's still running - has been a total failure so far. Look at the names there and look at how many there are. How many players has it given us? Zilch. Zero. Nada. Rien. And those are just Sziller's kids. (Sorry, confusing and stupid joke there)

Not ONE player in 9 years apart from the disappointing Bailey Rice and Tyson Milne, currently on the frines of the VFL. Maybe every single one of the children of all of those gun players just wasn't any good or didn't want it hard enough...

Or maybe, just like most of the players on our club's list in the last 9 years, they didn't have a hope of being sufficiently motivated or developed.

But I confess I'm ignorant about the ages of these players, maybe they're all still really young and we'll start seeing results shortly. It's clear that so far in this respect the club is light years behind the leaders. I really hope that changes.

It's no different to the NGA, a s**t load of players go through for one or two to come good. It's just a way to maximise any talent they do have and steer them towards footy so that they don't choose to go to another sport or walk away entirely. A big part of St Kilda's issue with FS is that we were so bad in the past that players tended to come and go without ever making it to 100 games. We were a journeyman club in the 80s and 90s and so missed out on heaps. Guys like Anderson, Ralphsmith etc didn't make it to 100 games. Under Finnis our footy program has suffered a similar fate. We will have gap in the generation post Rooey, Lenny etc.

May as well forget about the NGA's, the updates to the bidding rules have effectively neutered them
We picked up one this year in Angus McLennan - so it has its place its just more restricted with the top 40 ruling.

I have said this before, but to make things fairer the AFL should have phased out the access to clubs after each club had access to a top 20 selection eg McKenzie to the Saints this year then elimates us from future top 20 NGA selection.

Its obvious that the AFL aren't concerned about equality, unless it affects their brand.

Last edited:

Wow!

In any case, I don't see why we don't hear more about this program, at least getting more details about the kids, their ages, potential positions, and so on. I get that you wouldn't want to put too much pressure on them, but a yearly update at least wouldn't hurt.
I think it was a case of both the kids didnt want it enough and previously our lack of development resources.

We cant change the past but ay least the club seem more proactive in this space with the appointment of Damian Carroll, Nick Dal Santo (NGA's) and more recently Brendan Goddard. Hopefully this improves these kids development and brings a few more through than what we would have previously.

Last edited:
Boston is already 194cm & only turns 16 later this month.
Elwood Peckett will be eligible for father son same year..2024!
hopefully boston has a good year next year, and we can trade out our 2024 first rounder, and grab another 2023 earlyish pick... knowing Boston will go early 2024..
So 2 first rounders in 2023 then Boston in 2024..

Hmmm.. 2023 & 24 first rounders for a specific brother...
Specific brother may find he's hung around the Goldie a bit long and missed his opportunity if kids like Keeler, Van Es and Heath come on :think:

St Kilda NGA Sam Latreille may go around again for Dandenong Stingrays in 2023. Positive write up from 2022 NAB preliminary final. Though his 12 disposals and one goal hardly make for groundbreaking reading, Latreille was lively as ever in Dandenong’s forward line. The St Kilda Next Generation Academy member popped up on the attacking arc and looked to trouble Tasmania with his lateral movement, providing a handy point of creativity. He blasted home a big-time goal on the run during the final term, but unfortunately looks set to miss the grand final after being suspended for rough conduct. Very small and light. Turns 18 later this month so may be under consideration for November 2023 draft. Apparently, did not nominate this year. As an aside, past St Kilda NGA Scott Beilby has signed on with Glenelg FC SANFL.

St Kilda NGA Sam Latreille may go around again for Dandenong Stingrays in 2023. Positive write up from 2022 NAB preliminary final. Though his 12 disposals and one goal hardly make for groundbreaking reading, Latreille was lively as ever in Dandenong’s forward line. The St Kilda Next Generation Academy member popped up on the attacking arc and looked to trouble Tasmania with his lateral movement, providing a handy point of creativity. He blasted home a big-time goal on the run during the final term, but unfortunately looks set to miss the grand final after being suspended for rough conduct. Very small and light. Turns 18 later this month so may be under consideration for November 2023 draft. Apparently, did not nominate this year. As an aside, past St Kilda NGA Scott Beilby has signed on with Glenelg FC SANFL.
This is good by the saints. We have done this with a couple of ngas we rate. Getting them to come back as a top ager to prove themselves. Might play some games at sandy as well then like the others. Hopefully he keeps improving

Guess we really can’t complain toooo much about Sydney and Brisbane academy as we’re pretty clearly moving in the top bracket for production and value. If we had’ve lucked out with Cam McKenzies birth date and got him for a late pick last year along with Windy, Owens, Peris then I’d be willing to bet we’d be close to no 1 in a few years time.

Guess we really can’t complain toooo much about Sydney and Brisbane academy as we’re pretty clearly moving in the top bracket for production and value. If we had’ve lucked out with Cam McKenzies birth date and got him for a late pick last year along with Windy, Owens, Peris then I’d be willing to bet we’d be close to no 1 in a few years time.

Pretty ridiculous that the AFL give the Dogs pick 1 then pull the rug out from everyone else. There should have been 1 first round pick from the clubs academy each to even up to be taken in a 5 year period or something.

Pretty ridiculous that the AFL give the Dogs pick 1 then pull the rug out from everyone else. There should have been 1 first round pick from the clubs academy each to even up to be taken in a 5 year period or something.
This is why I hate the dog I hope the fail. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back