Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be boring that no academy guy coming up from your club.

New to the game? I'm a strong supporter of academies in the developing states, not so in the established States, WA included.

Not surprised you are not aware of Tarir Bayok, so go back to 2016:
West Coast Next Generation Academy prospect Tarir Bayok has turned heads at the recent Western Australian state combine recently by clocking the third-fastest time in combine history in the 20m sprint test.

Bayok, of Sudanese heritage, produced a time of 2.79sec in the test, which was the fastest time recorded in that test in any of the combines this year.

Out of the 17 players tested, the 18-year-old East Perth product ranked second in the repeat sprint test (24.53), second in the standing vertical jump (73cm) and third in the agility test (8.24sec).

If Bayok is not taken in the national or rookie drafts, he will be eligible to join the Eagles as a category B rookie selection under the AFL's new academy rules instituted this year.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-10-28/eagles-academy-gun-blitzes-field

Fast forward,Tarir was drafted & is on the rookie list 2018:
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/tarir-bayok

If you want to know what you are talking about, keep an eye out for the debut of Francis Watson off the rookie list in 2018:
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/francis-watson
IMHO, he will debut before Bayok .... boring nah!!

Last edited:
New to the game? I'm a strong supporter of academies in the developing states, not so in the established States, WA included.

Not surprised you are not aware of Tarir Bayok, so go back to 2016:
West Coast Next Generation Academy prospect Tarir Bayok has turned heads at the recent Western Australian state combine recently by clocking the third-fastest time in combine history in the 20m sprint test.

Bayok, of Sudanese heritage, produced a time of 2.79sec in the test, which was the fastest time recorded in that test in any of the combines this year.

Out of the 17 players tested, the 18-year-old East Perth product ranked second in the repeat sprint test (24.53), second in the standing vertical jump (73cm) and third in the agility test (8.24sec).

If Bayok is not taken in the national or rookie drafts, he will be eligible to join the Eagles as a category B rookie selection under the AFL's new academy rules instituted this year.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-10-28/eagles-academy-gun-blitzes-field

Tarir was drafted on the rookie list:
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/tarir-bayok

If you want to know what you are talking about, keep an eye out for the debut of Francis Watson off the rookie list in 2018:
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/francis-watson
IMHO, he will debut before Bayok .... boring nah!!
Cat B dude . not even Cat A rookie. We are talking about Bowes , heeney , mills type of quality, not some left over after the rookie A draft .

Last edited:

Cat B dude . not even Cat A rookie. We are talking about Bowes , heeney , mills type of quality, not some left over after the rookie A draft .

You said academy but didnt actually mean academy.. OK, lets go from there.

The Eagles get father/son, not Heeney/Mills type academy & nor should they. Did you not know that, fair dinkum you are wet behind the ears.
In our short history we got Ash McIntosh & Ben Cousins out of father/son and more recently the brothers Waterman have not taken a trick with injury, maybe 2018 might see Jake debut.

You blokes deserve to profit from developing the game in a way the established States dont, not sure how that equals boring, is that what you said, appears so: Must be boring that no academy guy coming up from your club.

You said academy but didnt actually mean academy.. OK, lets go from there.

The Eagles get father/son, not Heeney/Mills type academy & nor should they. Did you not know that, fair dinkum you are wet behind the ears.
In our short history we got Ash McIntosh & Ben Cousins out of father/son and more recently the brothers Waterman have not taken a trick with injury, maybe 2018 might see Jake debut.

You blokes deserve to profit from developing the game in a way the established States dont, not sure how that equals boring, is that what you said, appears so: Must be boring that no academy guy coming up from your club.
Bye , go back to your Eagles board . Don't waste GC supporter time here .

Thought its a standard rookie wage, why good kids sign on early (Brayshaw at Freo) to have a new contract at more dollars.
My understanding is the draftees are paid based on which round the are taken in the draft. Someone like Brayshaw would re-sign because it gives him a good amount of time to establish himself in the best 22 instead of potentially being on the chopping block after 12-18 months.

My understanding is the draftees are paid based on which round the are taken in the draft. Someone like Brayshaw would re-sign because it gives him a good amount of time to establish himself in the best 22 instead of potentially being on the chopping block after 12-18 months.

Correct. And 1st picks get bonus payments on top the other 1st rounders. I seem to remember total payments if a 1st pick plays most games of around $120,000.

Although on your second point, sometimes later picks still can get contract extensions quickly. Suns draftees from last year I think all got either 1or 2 year extensions, and it was early in the year.

At the end of the day, a player that as you said, if he establishes himself in the best 22, will get a very nice pay rise on the next contract.

& the bank account will reflect more money across years 1 & 2. No extension you are on award wages ;).

Suns' surprise breeding ground in NRL heartland
WHAT was once one of Australia's most dominant rugby league schools is slowly becoming a breeding ground for Gold Coast.

Palm Beach Currumbin High School, on the southern end of the coast, has produced a host of NRL, Queensland and Australian league players over the past 25 years.

They are twice a national schools champion, 10 times the Queensland champion and boast graduates such as Brisbane Broncos skipper Darius Boyd, Ben Hannant and Gold Coast Titans captains Ryan James and Kevin Proctor.

But in recent years that script has flipped.

Despite not having an oval of their own to train on, the PBC excellence program for Australian Rules has produced six players for the Suns since 2015.

The program run by the school, with some help from the Suns Academy, has led to Jesse Joyce, Max Spencer, Brad Scheer, Brayden Crossley, Jacob Dawson and Jacob Heron (who relocated from Cairns to complete Year 12) all graduating to the AFL ranks.

On Tuesday morning the players returned to the school to run a clinic to year seven, eight and nine students – both boys and girls – as part of the club's community camp.

As in their schooling days, they had to make the trek across the road to Palm Beach Currumbin's senior club to conduct the AFLX-style clinic.

"When I got to the school it was a very strong rugby league focus," Joyce told AFL.com.au.

"You'd go to lunch and there was a rugby league game on and they'd be playing another team from the coast that was a huge rivalry.

"It didn't bother us. Our teaches made the most of the resources we had.

"We've probably turned AFL into the most successful sports excellence program at the school.

"In my years it started to flip.

"I was lucky enough to come through with a lot of good players and we managed to win everything.

"In fairness, the competition probably wasn't as strong back then, but now the competition is strong and we're still winning.

"League has grown as well, but I don't think it's kept up."

Young ruckman Crossley said the older players like Joyce and Spencer laid the platform for the school's success.

"When I first got here, all the popular kids were all league players and that was the dominant thing," Crossley said.

"But we became the dominant sport. Year 10, 11 and 12, we didn't lose a game.

"Rugby is still the dominant sport in Queensland, but not at our school … it's changed heaps.

"Having six on the same list … it's similar to a TAC Cup team. We're doing something right up here."

Joyce said seeing the transformation over the past seven or eight years brought a huge smile to his face.

"It raises the hair on the back of my neck," he said.

"When you come back here it makes you realise we've come a long way and you take a lot of pride in where you come from.

"Representing the Gold Coast that way is awesome."
Cool article on AFL.com.au about the rise of Palm Beach Currumbin's Aussie rules excellence program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns' surprise breeding ground in NRL heartland

Cool article on AFL.com.au about the rise of Palm Beach Currumbin's Aussie rules excellence program.

They still have great programs in everything else like League, Soccer, Athletics etc.
What it does is it takes all the best athletes from all the schools on the southern GC and Tweed. It then has them for a couple of years in their later high school years and takes all the credit.
I’m more amped and proud of them being from Public Education than in the actual PBC school itself.

According to Jesse Joyce, there could be another 2-3 coming through the PBC program this year that are good enough to be drafted by the Suns! We know Caleb Graham is one of them. Who would the other two be?

I think he said 2-3 in the next couple of years , hard to gauge this far out who will make it , cause if you ask me when Jesse Joyce was coming through the ranks if he would make it i would of said no , but here he is in the Suns best 22 . Brayden Crossley's brother Ashton is coming through and now training with academy , there is one or 2 standouts playing 16's atm , and one really good one playing for Coolangatta atm.

I think he said 2-3 in the next couple of years , hard to gauge this far out who will make it , cause if you ask me when Jesse Joyce was coming through the ranks if he would make it i would of said no , but here he is in the Suns best 22 . Brayden Crossley's brother Ashton is coming through and now training with academy , there is one or 2 standouts playing 16's atm , and one really good one playing for Coolangatta atm.
I think you might be right and I have a feeling I misheard him when he said "I think there's probably 2 or 3 more to come hopefully in the following years".

PBC's Caleb Graham is the most likely to be drafted this year (at this stage anyway). If I recall correctly, Dirk Koenen was pretty highly rated and he's draft eligible this year as well. Ashton Crossley isn't draft eligible until 2019 so he's one to keep an eye on in the future, as is Jack Wingrave.

Who is this highly rated Cooly junior you speak of?

I think you might be right and I have a feeling I misheard him when he said "I think there's probably 2 or 3 more to come hopefully in the following years".

PBC's Caleb Graham is the most likely to be drafted this year (at this stage anyway). If I recall correctly, Dirk Koenen was pretty highly rated and he's draft eligible this year as well. Ashton Crossley isn't draft eligible until 2019 so he's one to keep an eye on in the future, as is Jack Wingrave.

Who is this highly rated Cooly junior you speak of?

For Goodness Sake Matchu you contribute so much for our board and you still are flying the Port Adelaide colours....come on man, get onboard the Suns 100%.

For Goodness Sake Matchu you contribute so much for our board and you still are flying the Port Adelaide colours....come on man, get onboard the Suns 100%.
I like the Suns but I'm not ready to make the jump (not sure I ever will be). You're not the first Suns poster on here to say this to me either.

Back on topic, does anyone know when the Suns U18s team will be announced for this year?

I like the Suns but I'm not ready to make the jump (not sure I ever will be). You're not the first Suns poster on here to say this to me either.

Back on topic, does anyone know when the Suns U18s team will be announced for this year?

Dirk Koenen 1/01/00
Matthew Smith 19/02/00
Lachlan McDonald 2/03/00
Jarrod Mills 24/03/00
Cory Beaman 3/05/00
Rainsford Stone 19/06/00
Bailey Scott 9/07/00
Cooper Portelli 11/08/00
Zach Palmer 22/08/00
Dean Katsiris 16/08/00
Joshua Deacon 4/02/00
Terry Giacoumis 17/02/00
Jackson Brumley 28/09/00
Caleb Graham 12/09/00
Corey Joyce 20/04/01
Matthew Fraser 5/05/01
Coby Williams 17/05/01
Ethan Dawson 26/06/01
Kyriel Pope 11/07/01
Samuel Johnston 21/08/01
Billy Birch 13/04/01
Zach Briggs 20/08/01
Anthony Lorimer 21/02/00
Lachlan James 4/04/01
Jack Wingrave 3/08/01
Ashton Crossley 10/08/01
Joshua Gore 29/05/01
Connor Budarick 6/04/01
Mitchell Fitzpatrick 11/01/01
Connor Harris 5/01/01
Josh Molloy 3/02/01
Dillon Lewis 17/03/01
Jack James 4/04/01
Wilson Blyth 8/04/01
Elijah Semaan 19/04/01
Jared Neuhaus 23/11/99
James Mohr 5/02/01
Riley Buckland 9/04/01
Kane Haua 5/07/00
Ari Miles 16/08/00
Matthew Conroy 7/11/00
Ryan Gilmore 28/08/00
Max Culpitt 7/01/00
Riley Clark 29/01/00
Tui Lowah 8/04/00
Fitzroy Greenwool 24/04/00
Oliver Koch 22/05/00

The academy boys are also playing a curtain raiser when our boys play broady in a couple of weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back