Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people aware that our academy has produced at least one U18 All Australian every year for the last three seasons? We have Scott this year, Crossley last year and Bowes the year before. Nice to know we're starting to get a constant stream of talented locals coming through.

Got word yesterday that Caleb Graham in high demand , 2 Melb based very keen on him , one being North , he might be going higher than we all thought in the draft this year.
How high ? Check North Third Rd and Second Rd pick , and they will go further down with bid on Thomas . Don't panic as long you got enough List space , he will be with GC .

How high ? Check North Third Rd and Second Rd pick , and they will go further down with bid on Thomas . Don't panic as long you got enough List space , he will be with GC .
No panic from me , just stating that he is in high demand , North going to have a big dash at him so we may have have to use a 2nd on him.

No panic from me , just stating that he is in high demand , North going to have a big dash at him so we may have have to use a 2nd on him.
I can only see that happen if GC bid on Thomas early ,
Compare the pair
North currently have pick 10 ,28 , 40 ,52 ,64
GC have 2 ,16,25,30,38, 42,74
Let said Bailey Scott nominate GC , and North try to be funny and Bid on him at pick 28 and Then Graham , GC will use pick 30 and 38 that's all . Still a third Rd pick for Graham . More like strategy that North want somebody(from Melbourne) that rate higher and get them with pick 40 and 52 , but if GC recruit think Graham not worth that much they might let him go to North .

Strike first - they only have picks 10, 28 and 40 - put the Tarryn Thomas bid on him with the WCE pick if no one has already and that should knock a few of their points off the draft board and based on our picks at present if they were putting the bid in on him at 40 he would still be our last player picked.

Just means we may need to have him on the senior list as opposed to a rookie spot which was probably always the Suns intention.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Rischa is going to be offered another 1 year deal - it better be on the rookie list as we are going need all the senior list spots we can find.

Compare the pair
Let said Bailey Scott nominate GC , and North try to be funny and Bid on him at pick 28 and Then Graham , GC will use pick 30 and 38 that's all . Still a third Rd pick for Graham . More like strategy that North want somebody(from Melbourne) that rate higher and get them with pick 40 and 52 , but if GC recruit think Graham not worth that much they might let him go to North .

Those draft picks are really invalid as it is not going to be like that after the madness of trade week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those draft picks are really invalid as it is not going to be like that after the madness of trade week.

I can only talk about what GC currently have , no point think too far ahead and said invalid . What is valid is what you holding in your hand , what is invalid is what you don't have . I can predict Lynch going and get combo pick but that is invalid because he is not going until his contract end and decide what he want to do .

Got word yesterday that Caleb Graham in high demand , 2 Melb based very keen on him , one being North , he might be going higher than we all thought in the draft this year.
I can't say I'm that surprised. Caleb is very talented. I just hoped we would be able to hide him for most of 2018 and pick him up relatively cheap but it looks like that won't be the case now. Hopefully live trading is introduced at this year's draft so we can use our 2019 third rounder to secure another 2018 third rounder in order to match any bids that come our way for Scott/Graham/Koenen.

Caleb seems to be flying under the radar, at least for me. Doesn't seem to be getting nearly as much hype as someone like Bowes. Caleb is a KPD, right? How tall is he?
Caleb can play as a KPP at both ends of the ground. My understanding is his biggest strengths are his athleticism and the way he reads the play, which results in a lot of intercepting marks. I think there's a strong possibility that he's the tall utility we've been looking for. He's 194cm at this stage but obviously at 17 he might have a few cms of growth left in him.

Funny you say that , I spoke to Caleb at palmy the other day and he said North see him as a key forwardwhen they spoke to him.

Another reason to not give a toss about Me Me Me Lynch leaving and taking his girlfriend away from her family. What a guy. We sure don’t make men like we used to in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More good news regarding Cairns prospect Alex Davies. He was named in the U16 All Australian team today so obviously he's right up there with the best talent in the country for his age group. We convinced him to give up a promising basketball career and move to the Gold Coast at the end of this year so that's exciting. I wonder if he'll be placed in the PBC developmental program...

Caleb can play as a KPP at both ends of the ground. My understanding is his biggest strengths are his athleticism and the way he reads the play, which results in a lot of intercepting marks. I think there's a strong possibility that he's the tall utility we've been looking for. He's 194cm at this stage but obviously at 17 he might have a few cms of growth left in him.
Graham played in the ruck for the Suns NEAFL team against the Swans rookie Amartey and NEAFL debutant Blair. Talk about hiding him! Koenen played a solid game, Scott was influential, Foster was the best of the Academy crew, Baru is firming as a smoky, and the whole team were amazing against the best NEAFL team and deepest AFL list.

Another reason to not give a toss about Me Me Me Lynch leaving and taking his girlfriend away from her family. What a guy. We sure don’t make men like we used to in this country.
Whilst I don't want him to go I agree its not the end of the world if Lynch leaves.
The back half of this comment is absolutely ridiculous though.

Graham played in the ruck for the Suns NEAFL team against the Swans rookie Amartey and NEAFL debutant Blair. Talk about hiding him! Koenen played a solid game, Scott was influential, Foster was the best of the Academy crew, Baru is firming as a smoky, and the whole team were amazing against the best NEAFL team and deepest AFL list.
I also noticed Koenen spending time in the forward line, despite his best position being at the other end of the ground. I think we're trying to hide both Graham and Koenen so no clubs down south try to pinch them early in the draft. However, both Koenen and Graham played for the Allies this year and will likely be invited to the national combine so we can't really hide them. Also, people are starting to take more notice of the PBC pathway these days so we have to be weary of that going forward.

Here's hoping we can hold on to three QLD talents in Scott, Koenen and Graham.

I also noticed Koenen spending time in the forward line, despite his best position being at the other end of the ground. I think we're trying to hide both Graham and Koenen so no clubs down south try to pinch them early in the draft. However, both Koenen and Graham played for the Allies this year and will likely be invited to the national combine so we can't really hide them. Also, people are starting to take more notice of the PBC pathway these days so we have to be weary of that going forward.

Here's hoping we can hold on to three QLD talents in Scott, Koenen and Graham.
I think our List Management will be trying to trade into the 1st round and out of the 2nd round so that they can pick 3 or 4 excellent players (3 plus Scott or 4 best player available if Scott nominates a different destination club) in the 1st round and then match bids (if necessary) for Graham and Koenen.

Where things get interesting for mine is whether we have the spots available to bring in a 4th or 5th Academy player through the Rookie Draft, likely one of our top-agers.

Brodie Foster has been the NEAFL team's most consistent player all season and competes all day against men. Top-ager at 19, but still quite small at 178cm 74kg

Emmanuel Baru has kicked 7 straight goals in the past 2 NEAFL games as a Key Forward. He has grown since last year to 188cm and 81kg (looks bigger) and was selected for the Allies squad.

Kwaby Boakye is a cracking fast medium sized forward of Ghanaian heritage who plays an unpredictable style, especially with the ball at his feet. 188cm and 87kg means he's ready to play men now.

Timakoi Bowie is from Torres Straight, short but solid at 175cm 82kg, got selected for the Allies. Pacey and creative player with all the skills, but would be considered too small for AFL.

I've chosen to highlight these top-aged Academy players because there is every chance our List Manager will try to stash guys like Lachie McDonald and Ryan Gilmore into next year's Academy and then put them on the rookie list for 2020. Could even happen with Koenen, but his profile has been raised to high to allow him to slip through.

I think our List Management will be trying to trade into the 1st round and out of the 2nd round so that they can pick 3 or 4 excellent players (3 plus Scott or 4 best player available if Scott nominates a different destination club) in the 1st round and then match bids (if necessary) for Graham and Koenen.

Where things get interesting for mine is whether we have the spots available to bring in a 4th or 5th Academy player through the Rookie Draft, likely one of our top-agers.

Brodie Foster has been the NEAFL team's most consistent player all season and competes all day against men. Top-ager at 19, but still quite small at 178cm 74kg

Emmanuel Baru has kicked 7 straight goals in the past 2 NEAFL games as a Key Forward. He has grown since last year to 188cm and 81kg (looks bigger) and was selected for the Allies squad.

Kwaby Boakye is a cracking fast medium sized forward of Ghanaian heritage who plays an unpredictable style, especially with the ball at his feet. 188cm and 87kg means he's ready to play men now.

Timakoi Bowie is from Torres Straight, short but solid at 175cm 82kg, got selected for the Allies. Pacey and creative player with all the skills, but would be considered too small for AFL.

I've chosen to highlight these top-aged Academy players because there is every chance our List Manager will try to stash guys like Lachie McDonald and Ryan Gilmore into next year's Academy and then put them on the rookie list for 2020. Could even happen with Koenen, but his profile has been raised to high to allow him to slip through.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Fitzroy Greenwool. That's who I'd be using a rookie pick on.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Fitzroy Greenwool. That's who I'd be using a rookie pick on.
Love Fitzy, but he's just tiny. He can kick goals like nobody else on the planet, but his range might be 35 metres and he struggles from over 25m. It won't hurt him one bit to do another year as an U19 in the Academy, maybe grow a few centimetres and put on some kilos.

The Southport School winger Zach Palmer talks on his switch from the Gold Coast Suns academy
Palmer was a bright prospect in the Suns’ ranks until jumping ship to the 15-a-side code this year.

The 17-year-old concedes it has been a steep learning curve through six trial games and three GPS Rugby competition matches to date.

In the side’s most recent outing last weekend, Palmer featured prominently with a hat-trick in their 67-12 home win over Toowoomba Grammar.

He plucked his third try with an AFL-style mark from a crosskick to show off the kind of ability that had the Suns excited.

“I was in the Suns academy, so I was going into the academy series this year and then before the season started I decided to call it quits,” Palmer said.

“I spoke to Wal (TSS coach Mike Wallace) and said I am quitting AFL and he said come down to training and give it your all.

“It was a hard transition. I was a bit iffy at first, I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it this far and make it into the first team. That was my goal at first.”

It has proved a worthwhile switch, however, with Palmer enjoying the physical contact of rugby – even if the rules and patterns of the game are still relatively unfamiliar.

“Rugby I find is just a nice, structured game. It’s nothing I had experienced before. I just love it, it’s good fun,” he said.

Wallace spoke highly of Palmer.

“Zach is a really good human being and that is first and foremost – you don’t play in my team unless you fit that criteria – and secondly he is extremely coachable,” he said.

“Our coaching model is not telling players what to do, it is working with the players and Zach has fitted into that really well plus he is a hugely impressive athlete. He is a good student as well.”

Undefeated TSS take on Brisbane Grammar away at 2.15pm on Saturday.

Looks like we may have lost a gun to rugby union in Zach Palmer. It's going to be hard for us to keep kids if they attend TSS because the GPS system really rules those schools. I know Clark Keating came out of TSS but he was a late converter from basketball so it was an easier transition at that later age.

Compare the pair

VIC COUNTRY V. QUEENSLAND
Sunday, August 12, 9.30am
Ikon Park, Carlton

The Vic Country forward line will be one to watch with the likes of Jye Chalcraft (Murray Bushrangers), Fraser Phillipsand Josh Smith (Gippsland Power), and Izaac Grant and Mitch Martin (GWV Rebels) potentially lining up inside 50. In defence, Bendigo’s James Schischka and Dandenong’s Sam De Koning will look to impress, while the likes of Geelong’s Keidan Rayner and Gippsland’s Riley Baldi will play through the midfield. For Queensland, Connor Budarick impressed at the National Under 18 Championships, while Tom Jeffrey was busy for Brisbane Lions’ Academy, as was Josh Gore for Queensland in the Futures match at Southport.

VIC COUNTRY V. QUEENSLAND
Sunday, August 12, 9.30am
Ikon Park, Carlton

The Vic Country forward line will be one to watch with the likes of Jye Chalcraft (Murray Bushrangers), Fraser Phillipsand Josh Smith (Gippsland Power), and Izaac Grant and Mitch Martin (GWV Rebels) potentially lining up inside 50. In defence, Bendigo’s James Schischka and Dandenong’s Sam De Koning will look to impress, while the likes of Geelong’s Keidan Rayner and Gippsland’s Riley Baldi will play through the midfield. For Queensland, Connor Budarick impressed at the National Under 18 Championships, while Tom Jeffrey was busy for Brisbane Lions’ Academy, as was Josh Gore for Queensland in the Futures match at Southport.
Good to see Gore and Budarick are playing well at the U17 level. Gore plays for Surfers Paradise and attends Benowa High while Budarick plays for Labrador and attends Helensvale High. As much as I'm a fan of the PBC program, it's nice to see kids from other clubs/schools succeeding as well.

Also, the PBC seniors are back into the AFLQ State School Cup Final:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back