Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on All Australian selections and other accolades, it seems like these are the kids we should keep an eye on for the next few years:

Conor Budarick
Josh Gore

Alex Davies (U16 AA)

Finn Brown (U15 AA Schoolboy)

Will Ashcroft (U15 AA Schoolboy)

The Southport School winger Zach Palmer talks on his switch from the Gold Coast Suns academy

Looks like we may have lost a gun to rugby union in Zach Palmer. It's going to be hard for us to keep kids if they attend TSS because the GPS system really rules those schools. I know Clark Keating came out of TSS but he was a late converter from basketball so it was an easier transition at that later age.
Baffles me why the gps system has a poor afl program.

Maybe AFL is beneath them in a Rugby State - happy to let that be domain of State Schools. This isn't Victoria after all.
A third of the schools play, terrace has a team every 5 years. Apparently soccer is taking over. Rugby definitely on the downward slope

The Southport School winger Zach Palmer talks on his switch from the Gold Coast Suns academy

Looks like we may have lost a gun to rugby union in Zach Palmer. It's going to be hard for us to keep kids if they attend TSS because the GPS system really rules those schools. I know Clark Keating came out of TSS but he was a late converter from basketball so it was an easier transition at that later age.

Clark Keating was not a late convert from basketball. I played against him in 1988 when we were 11. He and his brother Aaron, who won a Flag with the Crows, used to play Basketball for the first half of the year and then Aussie Rules for the second half. Surfers Demons were dead last until the Keatings rejoined the team and then they ran the table and beat us, Labrador Tigers, in extra time in the Grand Final. Makes me wonder if the Suns should get both King brothers because those guys would just mark the ball all day.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Baffles me why the gps system has a poor afl program.
You have to understand the historical context for it to make sense. Long story short, Aussie rules (Victorian rules at the time) was the most popular sport in Queensland in the 1880s and the GPS schools at the time voted on whether to adopt Aussie rules or rugby union as their flagship interschool sport. Rugby union won by 1 vote, mainly due to the fact that 'Victoria' was included in the Aussie rules name at the time and they felt that wasn't in the best interests of the Queensland colony at the time.

So Aussie rules was banned at the school level and rugby union began to take off as a result. This meant legendary footballers like Jason Dunstall, who attended Churchie, was forced to play rugby at school. This remained the case for more than 100 years until the GPS schools allowed Aussie rules to be played again in the 1990s but by that point the damage had been done and the two rugby codes had full domination of Queensland, and in particular Brisbane.

Elitest schools in Queensland will likely always prefer rugby union during our lifetime because it's just so ingrained in the culture. However, the Gold Coast doesn't have an established interschool competition of prestigious schools so that helps the Aussie rules cause. It has also allowed state schools to flourish because they aren't battling to keep their players away from the private schools (yet). Palm Beach Currumbin and Helensvale are the two strongest Aussie rules school in Queensland but I think things will change pretty quickly if one of the private schools (All Saints perhaps) begins to take Aussie rules seriously and offers scholarships.

Time will tell.
Clark Keating was not a late convert from basketball. I played against him in 1988 when we were 11. He and his brother Aaron, who won a Flag with the Crows, used to play Basketball for the first half of the year and then Aussie Rules for the second half. Surfers Demons were dead last until the Keatings rejoined the team and then they ran the table and beat us, Labrador Tigers, in extra time in the Grand Final. Makes me wonder if the Suns should get both King brothers because those guys would just mark the ball all day.
I knew Clark played basketball and I just assumed he converted later but it's interesting that he played both Aussie rules and basketball, especially back then in the early 90s.

Just to expand on my last point, the GPS interschool competition doesn't even run an Aussie rules competition but the schools do occasionally allow teams to compete in state competitions/exhibition matches (this is where Karmichael Hunt first played for Churchie). So that in itself obviously hurts Australian rules football immensely in south east Queensland. Back when Brad Moran attended TSS, they had a strict no Aussie rules football policy and he was forced to row and play basketball for TSS while playing local football for the Surfers Paradise Demons on the weekend.

Also, Palmer isn't the first TSS schoolboy we have targeted. We chased Angus Blyth pretty hard a few years ago but he decided to stick with rugby union. So how will we ever get TSS schoolboys to play our great game? I'm not sure we can. Our better bet is to give the Gold Coast APS schools (All Saints, Somerset, Emmanuel etc) incentive to establish a strong interschool Aussie rules competition and give them a reason to hand out scholarships to Suns Academy members. That's our best chance to emulate the GPS system in Brisbane.

You have to understand the historical context for it to make sense. Long story short, Aussie rules (Victorian rules at the time) was the most popular sport in Queensland in the 1880s and the GPS schools at the time voted on whether to adopt Aussie rules or rugby union as their flagship interschool sport. Rugby union won by 1 vote, mainly due to the fact that 'Victoria' was included in the Aussie rules name at the time and they felt that wasn't in the best interests of the Queensland colony at the time.

So Aussie rules was banned at the school level and rugby union began to take off as a result. This meant legendary footballers like Jason Dunstall, who attended Churchie, was forced to play rugby at school. This remained the case for more than 100 years until the GPS schools allowed Aussie rules to be played again in the 1990s but by that point the damage had been done and the two rugby codes had full domination of Queensland, and in particular Brisbane.

Elitest schools in Queensland will likely always prefer rugby union during our lifetime because it's just so ingrained in the culture. However, the Gold Coast doesn't have an established interschool competition of prestigious schools so that helps the Aussie rules cause. It has also allowed state schools to flourish because they aren't battling to keep their players away from the private schools (yet). Palm Beach Currumbin and Helensvale are the two strongest Aussie rules school in Queensland but I think things will change pretty quickly if one of the private schools (All Saints perhaps) begins to take Aussie rules seriously and offers scholarships.

Time will tell.

I knew Clark played basketball and I just assumed he converted later but it's interesting that he played both Aussie rules and basketball, especially back then in the early 90s.
80s mate. Bear pies at Carrara, Leroy Loggins, Kylie and Jason, Expo 88, the Joh Trial, King Wally, Horan and Little, Border and Boonie, Pat Cash, hairy vajayjays and terrible music.

Those are some serious midfield numbers from Ashton Crossley against the Vic Country U17s team! 26 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 7 rebounds!!! Hoping we can team the Crossley brothers up next year when Ashton becomes draft eligible (and hopefully the Joyce brothers too!). Does anyone know how tall Ashton is? I think he was just over 6ft (182ish) at the start of this year but I assume he still has some growth left in him given his father (195cm) and Brayden's height. Here's hoping Ashton develops into the tall mid we've been looking for.

For Queensland, Ashton Crossley (26 disposals, seven marks, five tackles, four clearances, three inside 50s and seven rebounds) – brother of Gold Coast’s Braydon – was very busy in the midfield, teaming up with Allies Under-18 representative Connor Budarick (14 disposals, three marks, eight tackles and three rebounds 50s)

Both Crossley and Budarick named in the best on ground

Those are some serious midfield numbers from Ashton Crossley against the Vic Country U17s team! 26 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 7 rebounds!!! Hoping we can team the Crossley brothers up next year when Ashton becomes draft eligible (and hopefully the Joyce brothers too!). Does anyone know how tall Ashton is? I think he was just over 6ft (182ish) at the start of this year but I assume he still has some growth left in him given his father (195cm) and Brayden's height. Here's hoping Ashton develops into the tall mid we've been looking for.
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/08/13/scouting-notes-u17s-vic-country-vs-queensland/

#9 Connor Budarick

The skipper was one of the Maroons’ best throughout the day with an all-round performance from midfield. The Allies and Gold Coast Academy star has good speed around the contest and showed tenacity to win much of his own ball from the stoppages. He may be small in stature, but Budarick is solid and stood up in tackles – despite being caught holding the ball once in the third term. He bounced back from that with a nice take-on and run from half-back not long after.

#27 Ashton Crossley

Queensland’s best player on the day, Crossley was industrious through he midfield using his strong body to crash packs and win the contested ball. Early in the game he had a few long kicks which were not accurate, but he improved as the game went on with one of his kicks in the last quarter coming from a nice mark and then unleashing a long penetrating kick out wide. His strong marking and contested ability was important for Queensland around the ground and he was a solid four-quarter player.

17 Josh Gore

Gore continued his good form in the Queensland jumper with another effective display up forward. While he only managed the one major this time around, Gore had plenty of opportunities and was able to find the ball inside 50 well. His goal came from a decent mark backing deep towards the goalsquare in the second term, and he converted the set shot. Gore worked to find the ball further up the ground in the second half and proved calm when delivering the ball forward. He also laid a solid holding the ball tackle in the third quarter to cap an all-round game.

3 Hawego Paul Oea

The smooth moving forward posed a threat throughout the game with his pace and ability to find space in good areas. With ball in hand, Oea looked to move it on more often than not and was a valuable link between the wing and forward 50. He provided a smart assist to Will Martyn with a cutting ball from near the boundary in the fourth term, putting his smarts on full show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Queensland, Ashton Crossley (26 disposals, seven marks, five tackles, four clearances, three inside 50s and seven rebounds) – brother of Gold Coast’s Braydon – was very busy in the midfield, teaming up with Allies Under-18 representative Connor Budarick (14 disposals, three marks, eight tackles and three rebounds 50s)

Both Crossley and Budarick named in the best on ground
I am currently tracking them to go top 30 next year espcially Budarick , watch him play NEAFL although small size but impressed by his ability .

Time will tell.

There’s a comp going at gps level the last couple of years. I went to terrace so I know they’ve been trying to get a team going for many years with little success. BBC have a team that competes against only a few other gps schools, my brother was the coach until he moved schools at the end of last year.

There’s a comp going at gps level the last couple of years. I went to terrace so I know they’ve been trying to get a team going for many years with little success. BBC have a team that competes against only a few other gps schools, my brother was the coach until he moved schools at the end of last year.
AFL Queensland are trying to get GPS schools more involved (see below Nudgee playing an invitational game a few weeks ago) but ultimately it's going to be extremely difficult to get the best athletes to play Aussie rules and retain them while they attend GPS schools. Ben Keays (Terrace) is really the only notable name I can think of in recent times. Having said that, there have been a few guns over the last few decades to come out of GPS schools like Jason Akermanis (Nudgee) and Jason Dunstall (Churchie). I think we're more fortunate on the Gold Coast to not be so heavily influenced by top level interschool sport. It allows us to create new excellence programs and quickly establish powerhouse development programs like PBC and Helensvale. Southport State High have also started an excellence program in the last few years so expect them to start competing soon. Southport State High already won the AFLQ Schools Cup Gold Coast qualifying tournament this year so they are probably already the third best AFL school on the GC.

AFL Queensland are trying to get GPS schools more involved (see below Nudgee playing an invitational game a few weeks ago) but ultimately it's going to be extremely difficult to get the best athletes to play Aussie rules and retain them while they attend GPS schools. Ben Keays (Terrace) is really the only notable name I can think of in recent times. Having said that, there have been a few guns over the last few decades to come out of GPS schools like Jason Akermanis (Nudgee) and Jason Dunstall (Churchie). I think we're more fortunate on the Gold Coast to not be so heavily influenced by top level interschool sport. It allows us to create new excellence programs and quickly establish powerhouse development programs like PBC and Helensvale. Southport State High have also started an excellence program in the last few years so expect them to start competing soon. Southport State High already won the AFLQ Schools Cup Gold Coast qualifying tournament this year so they are probably already the third best AFL school on the GC.

Very interested to see my Alma Mater, Southport High, engaging in the Sporting Excellence program with AFL. Traditionally, Southy was always swimming, athletics basketball, hockey, cycling and B grade Rugby League.
Until the 80s, Southport High had an anti-ethnic Policy. Whites only, if you can credit that kind of bullshit going on. I know because my whole family went there and through my career in education I’ve found out some dark secrets about the place. Anyway, from the late 80s onwards, SSHS has become a visibly multicultural school, partly due to its proximity to low socioeconomic suburbs and the high number of jobs attracting migrants.
It will be interesting to see how many players make it into the Suns Academy system. The suburb has a very high Polynesian demographic, who typically prefer any code of football to AFL or Asian - Chinese, Japanese or Korean mainly - who are starting to get more visible representation in higher levels of AFL.
Having lived in Melbourne in suburbs where the kids were mostly Anglo, Italian or Middle Eastern, I am interested to know if any current Gold Coast locals are seeing talented youth coming from Polynesian or Asian ethnicities. The Suns already have Hall and Nicholls from Fiji, but what about some GC based kids who might become the next Nic Nat? Or for that matter, how is the expansion into new schools improving player development for the Suns girls Academy?

AFL.com article today about North mentions we are the front runners for Bailey Scott’s nomination. Bloody good news if it comes to fruition.
Cal Twomey said the same last week. He also pointed out that even if Scott nominates one of the others, the Suns can still bid on him early and possibly get no matching bid. Scott can also rank his preferences, so even if he chose Geelong they mightn’t match a rival bid so the Suns could match it instead.

Geelong have a weak Draft hand and a heap of father sons. North have an above average amount of picks, but also have plenty of father-sons and Academy tied players. Geelong may look to trade players for picks or just take what crumbs fall their way in the third and fourth, with their best hope being another team bidding on a player tied to them. The Cats losing both their final games will improve their draft position markedly, but it isn’t very likely. Cats and Bombers winning out and other matches going the right way, then both going deep in finals will hugely increase our 2nd round picks, but again unlikely.

Suns should just burn the West Coast pick to get Scott if he doesn’t nominate us because the others won’t match it and we’ll get 20% value back in the form of a late pick we can then use on an Academy player. Geelong would have to combine 4 picks to match the bid and compromise their whole draft. North have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, but look like having to burn their first rounder on Tarryn Thomas (who the Suns should bid for early in order to either knock North out of the Scott race or pinch a good player).

Cal Twomey said the same last week. He also pointed out that even if Scott nominates one of the others, the Suns can still bid on him early and possibly get no matching bid. Scott can also rank his preferences, so even if he chose Geelong they mightn’t match a rival bid so the Suns could match it instead.

Geelong have a weak Draft hand and a heap of father sons. North have an above average amount of picks, but also have plenty of father-sons and Academy tied players. Geelong may look to trade players for picks or just take what crumbs fall their way in the third and fourth, with their best hope being another team bidding on a player tied to them. The Cats losing both their final games will improve their draft position markedly, but it isn’t very likely. Cats and Bombers winning out and other matches going the right way, then both going deep in finals will hugely increase our 2nd round picks, but again unlikely.

Suns should just burn the West Coast pick to get Scott if he doesn’t nominate us because the others won’t match it and we’ll get 20% value back in the form of a late pick we can then use on an Academy player. Geelong would have to combine 4 picks to match the bid and compromise their whole draft. North have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, but look like having to burn their first rounder on Tarryn Thomas (who the Suns should bid for early in order to either knock North out of the Scott race or pinch a good player).
It appears there is a loophole in live draft trading as someone mentioned on Roar. E.g. if we bid for North Thomas before their first round pick, they could trade this first round pick for let's say next year pick (having arrangement ready with some other team) and actually use their next pick (2nd round) to match Suns bid. I hope AFL will not allow this.

Last edited:
It appears there is a loophole in live draft trading as someone mentioned on Roar. E.g. if we bid for North Thomas before their first round pick, they could trade this first round pick for let's say next year pick (having arrangement ready with some other team) and actually use their next pick (2nd round) to match Suns bid.

Interesting. Of course, that still puts us in the box seat because we will likely have more picks than we need and trading out of this year’s Draft to maximise value will be most beneficial for us. Say Scott nominates the Suns, but North trade into pick 20 to bid for him, then the Suns trade out their next best pick for a future pick and only pay Draft points value of 80% from a couple of 3rd round picks.

In fact, the Suns could try to maximise opportunities to trade out of spots when any Academy guys are bid on. For example, if a team gave up a pick late in the 2nd round for Dirk Koenen, the Suns will know by then how many list spots remain and how much Draft capital they have left, trade picks ahead to 2019 and leave enough to match Koenen and do whatever needs to be done after him. Same with Caleb Graham, but if he slides through to the very end, we’d want to have a pick to match a bid or else a deal to trade late picks into 2019.

Would be huge Corkie if true , the kid has something , would add to our young talent we are building , would love for him to come out like Blakey and nominate us

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is fairly common knowledge locally that his family want him to stay on the Gold Coast. Personally, I predict he’ll make no call until he has to. His commitments to the Suns Academy will end soon and there will be an opportunity for the other clubs to make a final pitch. If either North or Geelong make the finals and last past the first week it could really turn the head of a kid wanting to join a successful club. If neither makes it, that gives the other clubs more time to court him. It is a siege mentality, but if our own Academy players don’t want to remain with our club then there are problems beyond what any of us thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back