GAA sells its soul

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't your objection less to do with soccer being played at Croke Park, and more to do with the fact that a soccer international between Ireland and whoever will fill the stadium to the rafters.

Toots Hibbert said:
What's the feeling of the Irish public? Is there a reaction against this move or do people generally not care?

Most people are behind opening it up, including GAA members.

You see whenever something as important as this happens the GAA must vote on it. Every club in Ireland gets a vote to their county board, the county board has a vote to the Provincial board etc.

The "Open Croke Park" vote won.

Nothing that changes the fundamental rules etc of the game is allowed without a vote.

We have promises which state that under no circumstances will God save the Queen be played at Croke Park or any Union Jack flag or any English flag of any description. I'm willing to bet thats bull********.

Grunty said:
Isn't your objection less to do with soccer being played at Croke Park, and more to do with the fact that a soccer international between Ireland and whoever will fill the stadium to the rafters.

Why would that worry me ?

clashoftheash said:

You see whenever something as important as this happens the GAA must vote on it. Every club in Ireland gets a vote to their county board, the county board has a vote to the Provincial board etc.

Nothing that changes the fundamental rules etc of the game is allowed without a vote.

We have promises which state that under no circumstances will God save the Queen be played at Croke Park or any Union Jack flag or any English flag of any description. I'm willing to bet thats bull********.[/QUOTE]
Clash when Australia play at Croke Park in the IR series do they fly the Aussie flag at the stadium?

Are you aware that we unfortunately still have the Union Jack in the top left corner of our flag?

Toots Hibbert said:
clashoftheash said:

We have promises which state that under no circumstances will God save the Queen be played at Croke Park or any Union Jack flag or any English flag of any description. I'm willing to bet thats bull********.[/QUOTE]
Clash when Australia play at Croke Park in the IR series do they fly the Aussie flag at the stadium?

Are you aware that we unfortunately still have the Union Jack in the top left corner of our flag?

Not the same thing at all. Its not the flag but what it represents thats the probolem. It obviously doesn't represent that with Australia.

Off topic but interesting anyway I think....

In the 70's the Socceroos played a match against Israel in Australia. The national anthems were played over the public address system from a tape provided by the Australian Soccer Federation. Strangely instead of playing the Israeli national anthem it was Deutchsland Uber Alles that was played! :eek:

Huge embarrassment! The official explanation provided was that Australia had recently played Germany* and there had been a mixup with the tapes. Publicly the Israeli's appeared to cop it sweet but what was said behind the scenes I don't know.

*I think it must have been the women's teams as I don't recall our men's side playing Germany.

clashoftheash said:
And there is also an extremely important reason to not allow England play there for ANY reason. In the 1920's British soldiers walked into Croke Park in the middle of a football match and started shooting players and spectators. 14 people were killed and parts of Croke park are named after them.

How can we allow God Save the Queen to be played there ? Its a disgrace and an insult to their memories.

I have to agree here.

It's not just a sporting stadium it has very much has a place in the struggle for Establishment of a Free Ireland, and the reserection of the Irish Celtic culture which the english sought to crush.

Though i don't think they would be so stupid as to even attempt to have an Ireland vs England match there.

Most of the south has moved on from those days, but doing something like that would insult even the most moderate of people and cause an uproar.

bresker said:
Good to see the GAA move into the 21st century with the rest of us.

Except the Irish you mean?

And before you say anything my family is from County Mayo, and trust me, there are people there who probably still dont know electricity has been invented.

UNIT said:
Except the Irish you mean?

And before you say anything my family is from County Mayo, and trust me, there are people there who probably still dont know electricity has been invented.

Nice way to perpetuate an ethnic stereotpye :thumbsu:

Though why ya would wanna bag ya own people i dunno.

Maybe its a Connaught thing :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back