HB: Scott Selwood, Eric Mackenzie, Shannon Hurn
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Brad Ebert
HF: Brad Sheppard, Josh Kennedy, Mark Nicoski
F: Ashton Hams, Quinten Lynch, Mark LeCras
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Adam Selwood, Tom Swift
I/C: Dean Cox, Patrick McGinnity, Ben McKinley, Lewis Stevenson
Emg: Mitchell Brown, Bradd Dalziell, Ashley Hansen

In: Nicoski, Stevenson, Sheppard
Out: Brett Jones (arm), Chris Masten (knee), Andrew Embley (susp)

New: Brad Sheppard (East Fremantle)

Hawthorn
B:
Ben Stratton, Stephen Gilham, Brent Guerra
HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Brendan Whitecross
C: Clinton Young, Luke Hodge, Matt Suckling
HF: Carl Peterson, Lance Franklin*, Chance Bateman
F: Cyril Rioli, Jarryd Roughead, Campbell Brown
Foll: Brent Renouf, Brad Sewell, Liam Shiels
I/C: Xavier Ellis, Rick Ladson, Jarryd Morton, Beau Muston
Emg: Jordan Lewis, Garry Moss, Shane Savage

In: Muston, Morton, Suckling, Peterson
Out: Michael Osborne, Jordan Lewis, Thomas Murphy, Jarrod Kayler-Thomson

* Franklin (ankle) was ruled out on Friday. A replacement has not been named at this stage.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=93702

thebirdsrunningfrom22.jpg

There it is. Whoever wins, the result for the loser is guaranteed: utter freakin' carnage.

As always, joining us in the commentary box is our very own suave man about town, Neville Bartos with his eponymous take on the game, The Bartos Report.

But a word of warning: I met Mr Bartos for a drink this week and he was throwing down jugs of cask wine like they were shots, the poor man is doing it tough.

Hawkers: If you're not going to get up for your fellow players, the pride in your jumper, your fans, tradition or some sort of pride in being paid fantastic money to do your job, then do it for the sake of Nev's liver.

And if you want to than Neville, send him a PM, buy him a beer the next time you see him, shave really well before you kiss him, whatever to show your appreciation. But we don't want to read personal thanks or 'solid gold' or 'LOL' - they will be deleted.

But first a reprise of the excellent H2H.

WCEforeverman said:
PREVIEW

Round 13 2009. It’s a game your unlikely to forget. Firstly for the weather, as most of the game was played under monsoonal conditions, and secondly it showed the football public what one Nicholas Naitanui was capable of.

This week brings back together West Coast and Hawthorn for the rematch. Hopefully without the terrible weather.

Both teams come into this match after a fairly lacklustre performance on the weekend. Hawthorn went down to Essendon to the tune of 43 points and West Coast was soundly by Fremantle by 38 after another final quarter fade-out.

Unfortunately it seems finals football is once again off the agenda for both teams, with both sides sitting on 1 and 5 with only percentage separating them. Although it is mathematically possible, it would take a huge turn around in form from both sides to make the eight.

The million dollar question is how each team will react to their loss. Hawthorn’s players have been put on notice by Clarkson and Clarkson has been put on notice by Kennett. Whether or not Hawthorn’s players come out breathing fire is yet to be seen but this could loom as a danger for West Coast.
Can the Eagles finally string together a four quarter performance? If we did it would go along way to winning the game.

CHANGES:

(Update with teams later)
West Coast will have at least three changes to this weekends side. Masten and Bones are out to injury and to Embley to suspension. Possible inclusions could be Lewis Stevenson, Brad Shepperd, Sam Butler, Mark Nicoski or Koby Stevens. The selection committee will also have to consider the form of Brown and Hansen, who each grabbed a bag in the WAFL. Either of them could possibly come in for Lynch or McKinley, who both went goaless against Freo.

Hawthorn should welcome back their captain, Sam Mitchell and Rhan Hooper may be back if he is fit.

IMPORTANT PLAYERS

Rather than doing match ups before seeing the teams, I thought I would comment on a few players for each side.

EAGLES:

NATANUI and COX

Hawthorn’s ruck stocks are very thin, with Renouf the only recognised ruckman fit. This is where West Coast should get on top. Naitanui and Cox have both been in good form over the past few weeks and should give our midfielders first use of the ball.

LeCRAS

LeCras is one of West Coast few match winners. If LeCras can get away and bag four or five goals, that should go along way in helping the Eagles win.

HAWTHORN

RIOLI

After Scooter’s job on Hill, I think he should be given first crack at Rioli. This proves as one of the danger matchups for us.

FRANKLIN

Franklin, while not at his imposing best, still has the ability to win the match off his own boot. Glass as our number one tall defender should line up on Franklin first. Schofield, however, has been in good form since breaking his way into the side and you would think he will be rotated onto Buddy at some stage, or if Buddy gets on top of Glass. McKenzie is also another option.

LIKELY RESULT

It’s hard to predict how each team will react to last weekends games. Hopefully we will see them both bounce back and have a competitive game. West Coast desperately need to string together four quarters. I think the home ground advantage will just get us over the line. West Coast by 15 points.

Now for the Hawk perspective.
market said:
Hawthorn Vs West Coast – Saturday 8th May 2010 – Subiaco Oval 1.10PM (WST)

This game could easily be the highlight of the season for all of those who are looking for a non-contact “please don’t hurt yourself” game….two sides that currently relish the opportunity to use a backward, sideways, handpassing only and non-tackle game-plan.

Taking a “Safety first” approach that has even the most avid OH&S representative concerned, inside info has identified the message being given (in particular to the defenders) as the teams leave the change rooms to enter the arena, as follows…

35_SafetyFirstSign.jpg

All that aside, however for this week will tell a different story. These 2 teams have a fantastic history of contests and when the Coasters joined the competition in 1987, the Hawks were a powerhouse not to be messed with….there has been many a rumour that the Eagles in the early years decided to base their approach on this powerhouse and soon the Hawks/Eagles rivalry was in full swing…with finals and a grand final in the 91/92 season representative of incredibly tough, unforgiving “contested” football that a lot of us still yearn for….anyway, I digress…..back to the game this week….

Last time they met….
A near on cyclone was gusting through the Subiaco ground and West Coast with home town knowledge were clever enough to use the northern wing, (which provided shelter to an extent and allowed them to kick the ball more effectively to team-mates). The hawks did not do this and thus turned the ball over plenty.
It was also the game that Nic Nat stamped himself as a player that was going to excite the coasters for years to come….the Hawks had no-one to match up on him (yes and the news gets better – de ja vu coming up!!)
After a low skill effort all round (though at least the weather conditions could be used as an excuse for this game) the Eagles won by 20 points 16.11 (107) to 13.9 (87).

This game

The coaches
Both coaches are in a world of pain at the moment (and rightly so) with their squads both 1(win) and 5 (losses), both appear to be delusional enough to think that they can make the finals…(while I am wanting them to be right, a massive “On” switch – needs to be thrown!)

jeff-zucker-frankenstein.JPG

The consequences for the loser of this game are not pleasant as both are feeling the heat from their respective boards and members. Come Saturday evening, one will be feeling temporarily reprieved from the axe and the other may be finding himself as follows:

guillotineWii.jpg

(Note: If we could draft that bloke in the poster, things may improve dramatically!)

The Teams:
As its late Tuesday, we are yet to confirm the changes to both teams, however we do know the following:

The Eagles have got 3 definite changes in Masten and Jones (both injured) and Embley who is suspended. There is a possibility of a couple of other changes (Lynch is a big possibility after his game against freo – though, I would keep him in just due to his size – we have little in terms to match him in defence) – I understand Hansen kicked 6 goals in the WAFL, so he would be a fair chance to get a call up.

The Hawks (from Clarko’s mouth – on the couch (FOX) last night) are said to have around 15 players out of form, I think a little conservative as there are probably only 4 or 5 who are in form….so will there be some changes….no question about it. But who? Fine to say, lets drop 10 of them….but who is going to come in???
Well I certainly hope another “TALL” player comes in to help Renouf…Anyone on the Hawks list over 195cm who can walk, must surely be a possibility??
Players who will be considered for “a rest” include Murphy (definite rest required), Ladson, Ossie and Birchall. (yes there are others too – but I don’t think they will drop more than 4)….
To come into the team??? Mitchell, Moss, Muston, (that 195+cm tall bloke) or perhaps Morton (assuming these blokes are not injured).

Key Match-ups…
Cox/Nic Nat V Renouf/195+ man
The Eagles are likely to go close to a record number of tap outs for this game and Nic Nat must be having trouble sleeping at night with the thought of playing against the ruck battery the Hawks have….

Ebert/Priddis V Mitchell/Lewis/Hodge
Ebert did well for the first half last week against the Dockers, but then fell away…Priddis typically gets a lot of touches against the Hawks….If Mitchell is back, he will help with the clearances (from a tapout from Coxy or Nic Nat) and Lewis will need to get on his bike, as he struggled against the Bombers.

Eagles Forwards V Hawks Defence
The hawks need to hope Guerra continues his good form and someone of the other 5 backline players actually takes a risk, plays well even. This would help the team enormously.
The Eagles forward line is likely to be bolstered by a couple of ins from the WAFL, but LeCras is a class player and someone from the Hawks will need to watch him with a fine tooth comb approach.

Eagles Defence V Hawks Forwards
Buddy and Roughy as we all know are 2 of the best going round and if they hit form together during this game, the Hawks will win… while the Eagles have Glass (a quality defender) and McKenzie to marshall the backline, they will with help from the others down there, close down the space and double/triple team the towers….

Who will win?
The heart says Hawks – surely they must be stung into some form of aggressive, “go when its your turn” football after the disgraceful efforts of the last three weeks?
However, the head says Coasters, it’s their home ground, they are playing as bad as us, but they have plenty of tall men. The one’s the Hawks have seem to be having trouble breaking into the team…
After much debate between head and heart – I’m going to suggest the hawks by 3 points after a bullsh*t decision in the Hawks favour, last seconds of the game.

And here it is, this week's outpouring from Mr Bartos:

The Bartos Report - West Choke vs Borethorn

Birds of Pray

Let me tell you a fabled tale,
about a once mighty football team.
A strong culture of victory,
the players were strong and lean.

The coaches were methodical
The combatants played with heart
Hawthorn was a club to be feared
We made tough football an art.

But a new decade arrived,
and a new football league with it.
The suits changed the rules,
to keep our success to a limit.

So assembled a team of champs,
all snatched from West Australia.
They had mullets and muscles,
and a wingman named Matera.

The West Coast Eagles were huge,
They conquered all in 91.
Hawthorn were too slow, too old,
the end of our time had come.

But an amazing thing did happen,
we showed the Eagles who were boss,
Hawthorn prevailed at Subiaco
The first Eagles finals loss.

The battle had only just commenced,
when only a few weeks later on,
The birds from Subiaco and Glenferrie,
Would fight where they both belong.

The game was a big fizzer,
Hawthorn won with aggression
Paul Dear was best on ground,
The Eagles were taught a lesson.

Ever since that day in the 90s,
The Hawks and Eagles have parted,
The Hawks almost became Demons,
And the Eagles dynasty started.

But that's all ancient history,
As we approach our next game.
A team of reserves and juniors,
Head to Perth to find fame.

There's no Buddy, no Mitch
No Burger, No Simon Taylor,
Clarkson sent Lewis packing,
And Osborne's been a failure.

There was some joy from the week,
when three of our stars signed.
We had no-one suspended,
sanctioned, reprimanded or fined!

But some greats from our club's past,
who played and won that Grand Final,
They said the Hawks had gone soft,
It all sounds like a broken vinyl.

We're only seven weeks in,
but our year seems already over,
Our players look soft and lazy
The 2nd ruck is a ruck-rover.

The 2010 season is not lost,
If we can stop Worsfold's 2 rucks,
West Coast have little else to offer,
Except for being useless f***s.

We've been crippled by injuries,
Most of our players are out of form,
Al Clarkson is making excuses,
But the Eagles are just as gaaaawn.

They've got the Palm Tree,
He's really tall and quick,
They've got that other good ruckman,
with a nose like a d**k.

But we've got Matty Suckling,
His kicks are accurate and long,
Then there's Morton and Whitecross,
Box Hill is where they belong.

So fellow Hawkers keep your chins up,
The pain is temporary and the wins will come,
The cripples and hunger will return soon,
And supporting the Hawks will again be fun.

Hi guys don't know it's been mentioned anywhere but both Mossy and Lewis were at training in Perth. Moss said he won't be playing.
A bit annoyed that the boys were half an hour late to run out and train, however they stuck around for a fair while afterwards and signed the kids authographs and such.
I know it was only a fairly light training run before match day but Hodgey was running pretty hard I think he's going to have a big one tomorrow.

Not sure which Perth lads have been able to snare tickets but I have two and will take the Better Half along tomorrow.

I have the i-phone sorted with BF saved and will do my best to post 'from the ground' reports as we go. I will probably get in trouble if I post during the quarters but should get something away during the breaks.

All the best Hawkers!!

Further to my last:

Rather than people at the game all giving updates re the same thing, it may be on interest that we break the ground into sections and different people post on different things. That way we can get info on ie. Backline, Mids, Forwards etc from each poster, rather than receiving effectively the same thing from everyone at the game - which may be similar to what is on TV...

Just a thought.

Not sure how to organise this so if anyone has ideas - let me know (PM or whatever). Mods - if this is your domain then do your thing. If I don't hear back I will just do my best.

Further to my last:

Rather than people at the game all giving updates re the same thing, it may be on interest that we break the ground into sections and different people post on different things. That way we can get info on ie. Backline, Mids, Forwards etc from each poster, rather than receiving effectively the same thing from everyone at the game - which may be similar to what is on TV...

Just a thought.

Not sure how to organise this so if anyone has ideas - let me know (PM or whatever). Mods - if this is your domain then do your thing. If I don't hear back I will just do my best.

The Twitter list feed has been on my list of things to do. That makes posting easier (as you just tweet from your iPhone) and it would get instantly updated to the board. Maybe in a few weeks.

As for tomorrow, your call, mate. How ever you want to do it.

Hi guys don't know it's been mentioned anywhere but both Mossy and Lewis were at training in Perth. Moss said he won't be playing.
A bit annoyed that the boys were half an hour late to run out and train, however they stuck around for a fair while afterwards and signed the kids authographs and such.
I know it was only a fairly light training run before match day but Hodgey was running pretty hard I think he's going to have a big one tomorrow.

Goo and Hodgey were out for a good 15 minutes goalkicking and running around about 30 minutes before the rest came out.

I only counted 22 players on the park (including Lewis, Moss) but couldn't work out who else was missing.

I'm confused. According to Hawthorn speak, does this mean Mossy will or won't be playing? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It means he is starting on the ground, my guess is in the ruck - possibly strapped to Renouf's shoulders.

Lewis will replace buddy and moss travels as the emergency

Apparently there were several hundred Hawks supporters at the Perth open training yesterday and the feeling was positive.
Congrats to the WA Hawks supporter group for promoting this and for the successful raffle.
Go Hawks!

I'm confused. According to Hawthorn speak, does this mean Mossy will or won't be playing? :confused:

He is playing, but not officially. Lewis will be strapped to Mossy's shoulders and together they'll play as one ruckman. AFL have sanctioned it as a one-off to try and create more interest in AFL amongst circus short people. Its the next big growth area, apparently.

Love your work, Nev. Must've taken a hell of a lot of effort to get yourself up to write one this week. I have a feeling the club is looking to next week as the 'new beginning' and this week is really just in the way. At least, that's certainly how it feels to me. Hope we snag a win today but I couldn't say I'm in any way confident.

Guerra to go forward and kick a couple today?

Weather is warm-hot (for footy) just above 25 degrees, light breeze, probably get a little warmer (predicted 27), so will be plenty of thirsty boys at 3/4 time...(and unfortunately, we all know how the last quarters have been of late....)

Weather is warm-hot (for footy) just above 25 degrees, light breeze, probably get a little warmer (predicted 27), so will be plenty of thirsty boys at 3/4 time...(and unfortunately, we all know how the last quarters have been of late....)

Only one team has been worse in last quarters than Hawthorn - West Coast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back