Gamespot's 'All time greatest hero' competition

Remove this Banner Ad

I was super pissed when Snake got the boot, I was disgusted when Duke went... but this is just a jk.

Would have been nice if someone who could speak won. The mute ones can never be creative or interesting. I guess a lot of people judge based on their game though.

If you think a character can't be great because they can't or don't speak you sir have no knowledge of video games or the power of story telling. These characters, Link and Freeman totally immerse you in the game and let you become them and shape them into whatever you want.

They are the perfect entry point to a game. They are relatable yet legendary. They are not just some cookie cutter action hero that spouts a few funny lines. That's not great character, that's just great writing. You are not watching Link and Freeman throughout their adventures, you are them.

If you wanted who was the most bad ass, the most funny then others may win. However these are the epitome of what a the medium of the video game can do. Just like many of the greatest story telling works in the field of movies, TV shows, novels, comic books show you things you can't see in other mediums, this is what these characters do. Give you what a movie/tv show/book can not.

If you think a character can't be great because they can't or don't speak you sir have no knowledge of video games or the power of story telling. These characters, Link and Freeman totally immerse you in the game and let you become them and shape them into whatever you want.

Well, if I wanted to become and shape something into what I want then it'd be nice to have the options and so far, I can't really recall many games that make that available.

They are the perfect entry point to a game. They are relatable yet legendary. They are not just some cookie cutter action hero that spouts a few funny lines. That's not great character, that's just great writing. You are not watching Link and Freeman throughout their adventures, you are them.

Obviously people's opinions differ under this circumstance. It seems to be a matter of opinion regarding the way people see the characters throughout the story. The only thing I see when I look at Freeman or Link is a mute character who supposably says everything right but it's lampshaded by silence. It's just not my thing and has no entertainment value, at least not for me.

If you wanted who was the most bad ass, the most funny then others may win. However these are the epitome of what a the medium of the video game can do. Just like many of the greatest story telling works in the field of movies, TV shows, novels, comic books show you things you can't see in other mediums, this is what these characters do. Give you what a movie/tv show/book can not.

The winner, I believe should be the most well-developed character for their respective game. I'm not even going by opinion here, I'm not just going to choose Duke Nukem because he has a badass attitude. I'd rather choose someone like for example, Cole from inFamous. He starts out as a normal person, gets caught in an explosion and gains electrical super-powers and as the story progresses, he must choose whether he wants to be a villain or a hero and has to make descisions in certain points of the game. That's just an example of what I think is a well-developed character. I suppose you could say the same thing about Freeman but I guess I'm just not adept to understanding mute characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back