Gaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Man the Total War series is one reason I want to upgrade to a serious gaming computer.

Would anyone here have any idea on where to buy/how to build something like that? And what cost you'd be looking at roughly?

FIFA 13 looks much better than PES 2014. Movement and graphics still way behind.
There's a reason for that this year.

PES 2014 is for current gen only. Next year's will be for the coming gen.

That said, the FIFA games are always riddled with broken gameplay. For example, no central defender should be able to dribble all the way down the middle of the pitch making endless marseille/roulette turns to score, even if controlled by a human.

Man the Total War series is one reason I want to upgrade to a serious gaming computer.

Would anyone here have any idea on where to buy/how to build something like that? And what cost you'd be looking at roughly?
I build all of mine. All prefab rigs are at least $1,000 on top of the parts cost because of build-time, software and margin.

For a budget performance rig that'll last roughly 4 years before becoming outdated, you're looking at about $1500 without paying someone to build it. That's for the box only, no mods, no legit OS, 1 hard drive, no mouse/keyboard etc.

Current one ($1350 in 2010 - before peripherals):

Quadcore I7 860 CPU
Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Mobo
1 Tb Hard drive
Liteon DVDRW Optical drive
8 Gb RAM
Antec 300 Case
Antec 750W Power supply
XFX 5850 1Gb Video card
2x 120mm Case fans

Since bought a 2Tb and a 4Tb drive for the leechin's. :p

Bought all the parts in conjunction with a mate who was also building one himself. Only $60 freight total from Queensland. Couldn't believe it.

There's a reason for that this year.

PES 2014 is for current gen only. Next year's will be for the coming gen.

That said, the FIFA games are always riddled with broken gameplay. For example, no central defender should be able to dribble all the way down the middle of the pitch making endless marseille/roulette turns to score, even if controlled by a human.
Agree there, but the layout of the PES games is really not to my liking.

Don't get on the PS much anymore but GTA 5 might be the game that gets me back on. San Andreas was just too much fun back in the day.

Is it just me or does Final Fantasy look like a completely different game now. I liked the battle system of 13 and 14 but this one looks like you're flying solo?

Sorry to intrude.
I reckon the best way is to check out Whirlpool forum and lurk the threads about gaming rigs - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/7
I purchased a gaming computer following some of the advice from Whirlpool and some advice from my friends.
If you live in Melbourne, the best place to purchase parts or actual unit is at MSY - it's cheap but don't expect any service whatsoever.
Just thought I help fellow gamers. :)

:thumbsu: This looks AMAZING!!!

Overview
AFL Live 2 includes a comprehensive career mode, spanning 15 years, allowing fans to manage their players and their team all the way from the TAC Cup through the Peter Jackson VFL and into the Toyota AFL Premiership Season. The career manager mode also allows control over training, where players gain experience and can have individual statistics improved to suit your style of play. Sponsorships, staffing, tribunal, emails, drafting and trading are all included to be used as you progress throughout the Career Mode.

Key Features
• Lead your AFL team to glory and win the Premiership flag!
• Tackle, bump, fend-off, sheppard, spoil and take massive speccies
• Unleash mighty torpedo goals from outside 50
• Single player, competitive and co-operative multiplayer and online mode
• Edit teams and create players in the Footy Factory
• Multiple camera angles and dynamic replays
• Expert commentary by Dennis Cometti and Tom Harley
• 15-year career mode with drafting, trading, finances, tribunal, training and more
• Over 60 teams from TAC Cup, VFL, AFL, as well as various bonus teams such as the Big V, Indigenous All-Stars and teams from the International Cup
• Over 200 realistically modeled AFL star players
• Realistic stadia in day, overcast, rain, night and twilight modes
• Rich team tactics and combinations to personalise your strategy!
• Detailed control over players and on-field maneuvering
• Unlockable features; including stadia and bonus teams

We complain as spectators of a sport largely officiated by opinion and dictatory interpretation. It DOES NOT translate to a computer/video game.

Hell, I remember hip-and-shouldering 5 players at once on a regular basis playing AFL 99/2000 back in the day and scoring in excess of 700 vs 12 or some s**t. Bruce would say 'what is wrong with them today' because I'd used a full power kick only for it sail through the big sticks.

Our sport is far too open to interpretation for gaming to ever be a viable marketing avenue. If anything, it makes an absolute mockery of the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hold off on purchasing Rome II: Total War for now. It's currently a bug-riddled, poorly optimised piece of s**t with a UI as moronic as that found on iPhones and Windows 8.

Hopefully they patch the bejeezus out of it over the next 6 months and modders make improvements to an acceptable level.

Hold off on purchasing Rome II: Total War for now. It's currently a bug-riddled, poorly optimised piece of s**t with a UI as moronic as that found on iPhones and Windows 8.

Hopefully they patch the bejeezus out of it over the next 6 months and modders make improvements to an acceptable level.
Medieval: Total War (1, not 2) is my favorite game of all time. As an historian, it is incredibly accurate. I've read military textbooks on the period where they described a particular nation's military tactics, and I've said, "Oh, I know! I hate it when they do that to me!... Er...)

Because it's also an empire building and diplomacy game, when I taught Medieval Church History, I made it an optional assessment: students could play it, and assess whether it helped them to more accurately understand the period, in a 1000 word review. The students had a ball, and their analyses were actually really interesting.

Medieval: Total War (1, not 2) is my favorite game of all time. As an historian, it is incredibly accurate. I've read military textbooks on the period where they described a particular nation's military tactics, and I've said, "Oh, I know! I hate it when they do that to me!... Er...)

Because it's also an empire building and diplomacy game, when I taught Medieval Church History, I made it an optional assessment: students could play it, and assess whether it helped them to more accurately understand the period, in a 1000 word review. The students had a ball, and their analyses were actually really interesting.
Medieval I was so engrossing I spent approximately 12 completely unemployed months of playtime with it. Rome I was the icing in terms of gameplay (yes, technically unemployed {but volunteering like a champ}), albeit from a less tactically versatile period.

I'm curious as to why you believe Medieval II didn't surpass both though (maybe they did and your teaching never got to properly incorporate them). Did you prefer the intrigue of turn-based espionage rather than seeing the result right in front of you, thus more accurately representing the historical timeframe of feedback from a unit's fruits/failure?

...and by all means add me on steam if you're inclined to rant and rave in a not-so-forum-friendly manner, which I'm susceptible to. Hell, even if you're itching to fit in 5 rounds of mortal madness. :p

With MTWII, it was mainly that I found it too fiddly. Students would have had to spend too much time learning the mechanics if the game, they'd run out of time to learn the medieval stuff.

Not gaming much these days, but if I do go on steam, ill look you up... And give you an easy kill. :)

Wow, looks like I've neglected this thread for a good 6 months or thereabouts. :eek:

Some titles I've been playing while waiting for the inevitable GTA V release for PC:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
Carmageddon: Reincarnation (Pre-Alpha)
Rust (Alpha)
Next Car Game (Untitled - Early Access)
Talisman (Early Access through recent release)
Etherlords II (older Magic: The Gathering type recently released on Steam)
Dead Man's Draw
Blackguards
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (recent expansion)
Magic 2014 (staple game)
Papers, Please
Sleeping Dogs (otherwise known as True Crime III)
Spore
Might and Magic: Heroes VI

Not to mention a shiteload of old DOS/WIN95 stuff I either never got round to playing or get a good old hankering for when sick of the movie/game parallel that seems to be forming.

Open to balanced recommendations, preferably devoid of fanboyism and 'I pretend I'm mentally fit enough to join the army' types.

Side note:

Can not wait for Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord to finish development and open up for testing.

2 days into a new PC, so still working out the kinks going from a single core P4, AGP 8x GPU to an i5 GTX 760 OC 2gb, but christ it's pretty schmick booting up SC2 and finding settings play flawlessly on ultra maxed, and the fact that Blizzard now provide game clients as well since my frozen throne disc is scratched to s**t.

Now my other geekdon is downloading, since I always did want to play Old Republic, but hate mmo's and subscription models, but yay.

2 days into a new PC, so still working out the kinks going from a single core P4, AGP 8x GPU to an i5 GTX 760 OC 2gb, but christ it's pretty schmick booting up SC2 and finding settings play flawlessly on ultra maxed, and the fact that Blizzard now provide game clients as well since my frozen throne disc is scratched to s**t.

Now my other geekdon is downloading, since I always did want to play Old Republic, but hate mmo's and subscription models, but yay.

that's quite an upgrade there mate!

that's quite an upgrade there mate!

13ish years between builds, stil working out the kinks as I'm now plugged into the onboard mobo graphics since the DVI-D adaptor on the gpu decided it no longer liked displaying any sort of visual output at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back