Gaming

Remove this Banner Ad

13ish years between builds, stil working out the kinks as I'm now plugged into the onboard mobo graphics since the DVI-D adaptor on the gpu decided it no longer liked displaying any sort of visual output at all.

Is that completely or before windows loads?

Best gfx card for me was my 275 GTX. Was amazing, survived a power surge (although lost second screen). Now have a Gigabyte Nvidia 560 SOC which is ok, only $150 at the time.

Personally play too much Dota, although waiting for The International 4 in July.

Is that completely or before windows loads?

Best gfx card for me was my 275 GTX. Was amazing, survived a power surge (although lost second screen). Now have a Gigabyte Nvidia 560 SOC which is ok, only $150 at the time.

Personally play too much Dota, although waiting for The International 4 in July.

Completely, first boot up afterwards sounds were all good, system stability fine just no visuals at all through the GPU, plugged into mobo and fine output (after the graphics driver was then updated to fix resolution). GPU works fine via HDMI onto two separate TV's 9monitor doesn't support HDMI) so it's either a driver related issue with DVI-D output, or the fact that I was using a VGA to DVI-D adaptor and that adaptor decided to give up the fight when rendering.

Well new monitor arrived today and initially had the same problem of wtfnodisplayomgnerdrage, then it had display via the vga to dvi adaptor, then it had display via the hdmi cable and now it has display via the hdmi cable, and sound (after I had plugged in the audio jack to mute sound) so finger crossed it works.

Forgot to mention this at the time, but...

Carmageddon: Reincarnation has had a public release of the pre-alpha build. Can get it through Steam for 30 US clams.

Can't play multi yet, but already you can tell they've kept the spirit of the game intact without doing a Flatout 3 to it. Full release is still some way off, but purchase of the pre-alpha guarantees you'll get the full version.

Same problem with crashing & locking up, so since it's under warranty I'm going to have to find time to travel 40 odd ks to the store, return it and go "fix it, or give me $1600".

Definitely happens when the gpu accelerates, might just pop the old monitor out here to dual display and see if it's transferring the display elsewhere or locking up entirely.

Same problem with crashing & locking up, so since it's under warranty I'm going to have to find time to travel 40 odd ks to the store, return it and go "fix it, or give me $1600".

Definitely happens when the gpu accelerates, might just pop the old monitor out here to dual display and see if it's transferring the display elsewhere or locking up entirely.
Sorry if you caught the post I ended up deleting as I hadn't followed the initial discussion through properly.

Any ongoing problems with the HDMI output or are they resolved?

If there's continuing issues, does the secondary visual output work to the pre-existing monitor?

Provided you can get some signal on one monitor or the other, make that monitor your primary and reinstall your OS. There's an old adage that says, 'Got new hardware, try a fresh install, son'.

Sometimes an existing OS will have issues detecting higher capability outputs properly due to another manufacturer's drivers being the go-to. Same reason you can't transfer a system disk into another system with differing GPU manufacturers.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. What I may not be able to solve myself, mates/colleagues may just save you the 50 smackers per hour (don't ever buy a store prebuilt again). ;)

Last edited:
Sorry if you caught the post I ended up deleting as I hadn't followed the initial discussion through properly.

Any ongoing problems with the HDMI output or are they resolved?

If there's continuing issues, does the secondary visual output work to the pre-existing monitor?

Provided you can get some signal on one monitor or the other, make that monitor your primary and reinstall your OS. There's an old adage that says, 'Got new hardware, try a fresh install, son'.

Sometimes an existing OS will have issues detecting higher capability outputs properly due to another manufacturer's drivers being the go-to. Same reason you can't transfer a system disk into another system with differing GPU manufacturers.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. What I may not be able to solve myself, mates/colleagues may just save you the 50 smackers per hour (don't ever buy a store prebuilt again). ;)

Is still an issue, have the second monitor plugged in atm and going to bench it against old republic which is the program usually running when the output dies.

Also, was a custom build. I have half a mind that this'll end up being software driven, but given the issues seem to be around the gpu and only the gpu, figured since it's only Sunshine (40 odd mins away) warranty would be easily sorted rather than me figure out what the s**t and lose more of my hair.

Edit 1: Possibility of a loose cable. Had another crash with dual monitor and it's a complete system lock up, there's no output whatsoever through the gpu when it dies. Opened the case and the fans on the card had stopped. Torch + push in when running initial boot, the fans kicked in and boosted, like loud (initial restart had no output whatsoever through card) secondary restart after basically "pushing everything attached to the card in" and voila, output via hdmi.

It's a 750w gold 80+ psu, so not power output related...

Last edited:
The International is upon us again. Every year Valve host a global tournament of Dota 2 bringing together the best teams from around the world. Valve started the prize pool at $1.6 million with 25% of all International sales going towards the total prize pool. Observers/Supporters can buy a Compendium for special prizes achievements and also add to the experience (think SC). Worth a look.

Current Prize Pool $3.5million.

The International is upon us again. Every year Valve host a global tournament of Dota 2 bringing together the best teams from around the world. Valve started the prize pool at $1.6 million with 25% of all International sales going towards the total prize pool. Observers/Supporters can buy a Compendium for special prizes achievements and also add to the experience (think SC). Worth a look.

Current Prize Pool $3.5million.
Aw, why couldn't it be for TF2? Then I could get killed off in about 37 seconds and I wouldn't have to worry about it any more.

Figured it was about time this thread had some new life in it, now that the season's over and all that...

Some stuff I've been playing lately that's produced the goods:

Car Mechanic Simulator 2015

Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Grand Theft Auto V (I'm sure you can find your own video of this)

Kenshi (Early access)

Life is Feudal (Early access)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miChS-S9EJo

Magic Duels (Free to play Magic: The Gathering)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might and Magic: Heroes VII (Beta)

Plague Inc: Evolved

Road Redemption (Early access)

Rocket League

Talisman: Digital Edition

I've recently moved to a house with NBN, which opens up the viability of broadcasting through Steam. If anyone wants a breakdown of any of these or to watch some gameplay, give me a heads up.

Keep your whining about umpires to a minimum.

I have gotten over my anger with Dragon Age Inquisition, which was a preorder back in what, November of 14? (long story short, I was one of the many who had the nvidia gpu crashes with it every 20 seconds ish) so have suitably gone from a lvl2 Qunari Warrior to a lvl15 Qunari badarse Champion on a steed with a nail through his goddamn head;
Bog_Unicorn.png

Because I figured since the options were Templar (support /CC), Champion (tank) and Reaver (health based DPS), damage isn't really that large, a lot depends on elemental and additional DPS (such as a rune which allows for 4 bonus strikes, ala 400% increase in DPS output) and it's guard and health that is the restricting agent I'd go Champion. Not going to lie, I laughed as I pissed off some darkspawn, retreated everyone to a door and then blocked the door with my guard up as the AI went to town unable to get passed me.

Also been playing some Heroes of the Storm, not in Hero League though because you know, toxic. I feel that supports aren't all that great in this moba and it's more about the potential CC & DPS from the assassins which make or break the end game, since most matches are usually 80% one sided in the beginning, the other mob catch up in levels really quickly such is the exp gain in late game (4 level leads can disappear if you lose like 3 people) and then you're down to a mad sprint at the end as the early and mid game meant little to nothing. But then I go to play some bots and level up some new heroes, like Gazlowe and die horribly because christ some of the bots are just moronic.

I also preordered and currently hold MGSV the Phantom Pain on my PS4, which I haven't installed yet because what I really want to do is take a week off and just plough through it since I quite liked Ground Zeroes, but will have to replay Peace Walker since some of the finer details were a bit foggy.

I think Rocket League was on PS+ a couple months back, so whilst I have it, that so seems like something that is best in multiplayer so I haven't touched it at all really.

Also, watching an LP of Until Dawn, as I straight refuse to play horror/thriller games, not because of the content, but because I am convinced that developers of the genre sit around a coffee table going "how can we butcher this control set to make people wan to break the thing?" so I always prewatch an LP ever since the first RE, and it's remake and 4 and well RE in general where everyone moved at the hips or there was no pause because lol quicktime events to bad if you needed a piss. Anyway, not going to lie, it looks a very pretty game, looks very short through, like 7-10 hours so it kinda screams Order 1886 to me, but yeah, looks a very good game.

Last edited:
I think Rocket League was on PS+ a couple months back, so whilst I have it, that so seems like something that is best in multiplayer so I haven't touched it at all really.

Rocket League's quite possibly overrated considering the nature of the game, however it's actually quite enjoyable when you're playing with your own team and have a plan in place. Teamspeak is a must when running it on PC.

Playing with the bots can still be fun, though you're susceptible to the odd long shot because bots don't bother sitting back to defend. That and they have an uncanny knack of chasing a ball into your own net for no apparent reason.

Online is the strongest point because there are some really clever plays going on. Because there's no ball curling, the geometry allows for a straight line from anywhere to end up in goal.

What shits me at times is when the match is full of 'heroes' who are determined to just touch the ball, even if you're perfectly lined up for an unimpeded goal. That or when someone uses the chat to say they'll defend the goal this round, only to charge forward as soon as it crosses the halfway line, miss, then proceed to run into their own teammates and block their defensive momentum.

I'm still shocked the Dota 2 International had a prize pool of $18,429,613. Thats just amazing considering Valve (game owners) only put in $1,600,000 and the rest was generated from a "supercoach" feature and items.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back