Home & Garden Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, not anymore. I used to when I was younger, but the tough part with Venus Fly Traps is that the trap mechanism only works when hairs on the inside are repeatedly triggered. You therefore have to feed them live insects that will wriggle around; dead insects won't actually be digested properly.

Carnivorous plants have evolved to eat insects, but they don't need to do so to survive.
Do they need fertiliser or do you grow them in spagnum moss which I think is pretty rich

Do they need fertiliser or do you grow them in spagnum moss which I think is pretty rich
Sphagnum moss is actually poor in nutrients, which makes them perfect for carnivorous plants. Carnivorous plants evolved the way they did (eating bugs) in response to poor nutrients in their natural habitats (Venus Fly Traps grow in peat bogs). For the same reason, you don't fertilise them either. Some people do use Seasol, and some people use Orchid fertiliser on Nepenthes - but I stay away from it generally.

Sphagnum moss is actually poor in nutrients, which makes them perfect for carnivorous plants. Carnivorous plants evolved the way they did (eating bugs) in response to poor nutrients in their natural habitats (Venus Fly Traps grow in peat bogs). For the same reason, you don't fertilise them either. Some people do use Seasol, and some people use Orchid fertiliser on Nepenthes - but I stay away from it generally.
Well there you go, TIL 👍

I've bought from the Seed Collection a couple of times. Usually $1.25 for a packet of up to 200 seeds - so you can buy a few different ones and they combine postage for $3. Bunnings charge up to $5.50 per packet.

It's worth subscribing. They send you emails about what you should be planting at that time of year.

Used seed collective after your recommendation, cannot complain. Good service and as you say provide advice in the packaging and emails about what is in season. Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back