Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got lemon tree that goes great guns.

Yay, lemons, the world's most useless fruit unless you're a baker or someone is having a corona night. 99% of what it drops goes in the compost heap for the chooks to ignore.

Oh hey Kram81, I got three new chooks through the school my auntie works at. They hatch them as part of a project for the kids then give them away.

They're probably at about late teenage stage now so today's the first day I've let them out of the bottom part of the coop to run free with the big girls. One of them has gimpy legs though and has only grown about half the size of the other two (which is why my uncle unloaded her on me!) She seems too scared to come out yet but the others are out and about with a minimum of bullying so far.

I'm trying to offload a heap of roosters, a lady is picking up the Silkie/Pekin today, then have 4 Pekin/mongrels left. Also got a heap of Sussex roos but haven't advertised them yet but they are pure breed, some are actually really fine examples of the breed and should be easy to get rid of. My mate is coming around on Monday to cherrypick the best one.

I've got lemon tree that goes great guns.

Yay, lemons, the world's most useless fruit unless you're a baker or someone is having a corona night. 99% of what it drops goes in the compost heap for the chooks to ignore.
As a kid I thought a good use for them was for lobbing on the roofs of teachers' houses.

How much are the basic 8 block seedings for veges/flowers generally in Perf, around $2.80? They were always $3.50 here for years until the other day they put them up to $4.30. Not like I can't afford it but they are taking the piss having a monopoly, out of principal unless it's something I really need or it's on special I'm buying everything from Perth now.

How much are the basic 8 block seedings for veges/flowers generally in Perf, around $2.80? They were always $3.50 here for years until the other day they put them up to $4.30. Not like I can't afford it but they are taking the piss having a monopoly, out of principal unless it's something I really need or it's on special I'm buying everything from Perth now.
You have to take into account that Perth nurseries can pick and choose from hundreds of highly efficient and cost effective workers whereas the Northam one only has people from Northam to choose from.

You have to take into account that Perth nurseries can pick and choose from hundreds of highly efficient and cost effective workers whereas the Northam one only has people from Northam to choose from.
Nah this is Two Dogs Merredin. They have experienced staff that has worked there for years and I find it hard to believe that they would have trouble getting and training more staff if required. And it's everything there has gone to just stupid prices from plants to a bag of screws to a pet's water bowl. I don't mind paying more and it's a very well staffed and maintained shop which also justifies an increased price but there is a tipping point.

Nah this is Two Dogs Merredin. They have experienced staff that has worked there for years and I find it hard to believe that they would have trouble getting and training more staff if required. And it's everything there has gone to just stupid prices from plants to a bag of screws to a pet's water bowl. I don't mind paying more and it's a very well staffed and maintained shop which also justifies an increased price but there is a tipping point.
Way to ruin my joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought about cabbages, but I've never successfully grown a decent one that wasn't full of bugs.
I cut up the first ready one last week, the outer leaves were always getting attacked by green caterpillars (from those white moths?) but surprisingly the heart appeared to be completely bug free. Gave most of it to the chooks but tasted a few pieces and it was quite nice.

I cut up the first ready one last week, the outer leaves were always getting attacked by green caterpillars (from those white moths?) but surprisingly the heart appeared to be completely bug free. Gave most of it to the chooks but tasted a few pieces and it was quite nice.
I'm trying again. The broccoli is awesome, but the caulis haven't even set a head yet.

I had a herb bed running along the back of the house. Next door is a warehouse with kikuyu grass everywhere and it grew under the fence and the runners destroyed my herbs :(

Going to dig 2 feet deep this time, replace all the soil and put a barrier in place to stop the creepers. Outside of that, is there anything I can do?

I had a herb bed running along the back of the house. Next door is a warehouse with kikuyu grass everywhere and it grew under the fence and the runners destroyed my herbs :(

Going to dig 2 feet deep this time, replace all the soil and put a barrier in place to stop the creepers. Outside of that, is there anything I can do?

Lean over fence.
Extend arm holding spray wand.
Nuke kikuyu with round up.

Drink beer as job done

Lean over fence.
Extend arm holding spray wand.
Nuke kikuyu with round up.

Drink beer as job done

Did that over the weekend ;) How often should it be sprayed? it's an absolute matted bed of weed they've got going on. If it wasn't illegal i'd be tempted to drop a match over the other side of the fence come summer

Are there any soil conditions that discourage grass growth? Make the soil super alkaline or acidic? Drop a few bags of salt over the fence?

So on google this kikuyu grass looks just like my ancient lawn? It does create a little work growing off a bit into unwanted spots but it's not too bad, I just pull it up or spray a bit of roundup on it.

It's the runners that pop up under the fence that bother me - the roots run along the herb garden about 10-20cm underground 2-3 metres in length popping up all over the place and get entangled with the root structures of the herbs. Pulling them up is the problem since they just keep sprouting everywhere.

I need to kill them at the source, but it's not my property where they are coming from! I did spray them over the weekend though - we'll see how that goes. The long term goal is to find a way to not allow them to grow onto my side

It's the runners that pop up under the fence that bother me - the roots run along the herb garden about 10-20cm underground 2-3 metres in length popping up all over the place and get entangled with the root structures of the herbs. Pulling them up is the problem since they just keep sprouting everywhere.

I need to kill them at the source, but it's not my property where they are coming from! I did spray them over the weekend though - we'll see how that goes. The long term goal is to find a way to not allow them to grow onto my side
Yeah it seems to pop up in random spots coming up from quite deep, needs pretty soft soil though. Roundup will kill it very easily but.

I have a problem with this type of actual weed grass in one area that grows deep in runners, ****in hard to rip out and unlike that lawn poison doesn't seem to be overly effective against it.

Also redoing the front yard at the moment. Used eco friendly weed matting originally with some gravel over the top, only to discover that weeds manage to get their roots through the holes in the weed matting and hang on for dear life :p

Had an empty block across the road that when they cleared the block blew a yard's worth of grass seeds onto the front yard and sprouted a garden that I couldn't pull up. Ripping it up this weekend and putting plastic down instead before replacing the cover. Any gravel (or other ground cover) recommendations that don't encourage things to grow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back