Preview Gather Round: Essendon vs Melbourne, Adelaide Oval, Saturday 15/4 @ 4.10PM (AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
B: Ridley BZT Kelly
HB Redman Hayes McGrath
C Durham Merrett Martin
HF Caldwell Stringer Perkins
F Tippa Phillips Voss
R Draper Setterfield Parish
I: Langford Shiel Hobbs Menzie
Sub Heppell

Out: Laverde Weiderman Jones Davey
In Hayes Voss Hobbs Tippa

Happy to play Tippa in VFL for another game and have Davey play again, but not if Davey is sore.

Out: Weideman, Jones, Davey
In: Montgomerie, Voss, Snelling

Montgomerie - Zerk-Thatcher - Kelly
Ridley - Laverde - Redman
Martin - Parish - Durham
Snelling - Voss - Perkins
Menzie - Phillips - Stringer
Draper - Shiel - Merrett
Langford - McGrath - Setterfield - Caldwell
Heppell

Be conservative with Davey.

Laverde out is a s**t take.

Actually yeah, on 2nd thoughts, keep him in and leave Hayes out.

I believe the clubs focus over the next two weeks is to "compete" next week against Melbourne, but try a few things to get ready for the Collingwood game. I think this team is really vulnerable with both our rucks playing well, and the addition of Hobbs in the midfield to ensure we win the clearances:

1681024278289.png

BZT on Johnson is a good match up and Laverde on Mihocheck is also. Kelly on Elliiot, McGrath, Redman and Ridley working of Hill, McCreery and Adams is also nice for us.

I want Voss to say hello to Maynard. I want Caldwell to play defensively on N Daicos, but obviously hurt him back the other way.

While they're missing their rucks, to beat them without Wright would be a real string to our bow.

Langford running with Pendlebury around the ground will be good and Hobbs, Setterfield, Parish, Merrett and Sheil to win the midfield thanks to ruck dominance.

I think we can win this game if we make it our focus for the next block of games, where we will go in very much as underdogs for all of them.

Pesimistic/realisticTell me I'm dreamin'
MelbourneStill the most complete list of players in their prime. Will dominate us in the middle so our makeshift forward line will struggle to get a touch.Don't really hurt sides on the scoreboard, so you never know, but I know that the best we could hope for to "be in the contest".
Anzac dayLook like clubhouse leaders after round three and their run off half back could slice and dice us, their intercepting defenders should We ABSOLUTELY dominated them for 2.5 quarters last year. This year they have been better because they're actually winning the midfield as well, but that won't be the case with zero ruck depth.
I think we can get em'
GeelongThey lick their lips playing us, no matter what their form is like. I still think playing us round 1 is what got them into premiership form! They are playing utter poo at the moment. Hopefully we can open them up with our winger's run!
Port awayGood middle-of-the-road side who will easily account for us on their home deckThey are patchy, we're not zero chance here, but I don't think we'll pull it off.
Brisbane awayFront runners who will pound us on their home deckThey are also patchy, but it will be our 3rd week in a row on the road - actually 4th out of 5 weeks. Even if we look like the better of the two sides, we'll tire at some point and their offensive weapons will slice us open.
Dream timeHave the wood on us, and while they lost this week they demonstrated a style that nearly won the game in a quarter. Time to regroup. Richmond has been turning it over as much as GWS did today. If we can win the midfield battle, Lynch has a crap game and we can lower the eyes going forward to work around their interceptors, we're not out of this. They have not looked better than us so far. We can win this.
3-75-5

It doesn't get easier after that ...

Eagles awayShould beat these jokers, but who knows over there. Could cop a Margett special. C'mon if we don't win this we can get effed.
NorthShould beat these guys, but they have looked really good so far this year and will have pencilled us in, because of where we're at, but also something about a merger in the 1920s ... they were the bad guys btw!C'mon if we don't win this we can get effed.
CarltonAren't 100% up and going yet, but I think they're as solid as Melbourne now, maybe a year or two behind them, but damn good. Yeah still no chance, except for that curse that tends to make the worse of the two of us always win over the last 20 years.
Freo awayBeen very disappointing, but still, it is their home game, and surely they start playing a little better, and if they don't we're a must-win game for them. If they keep playing the way they have, we're a shot.
3-11 or 5-96-8 or 8-6

Could easily be 3 - 11, which might become Operation Harley Reid and Parish FA. We need to target a side. I personally think we look for spirited efforts away from Melbourne and win the next two big games on the G.

Being 8-6 is not very likely, but we're as big a chance as Collingwood was at this stage last year! If we can get to 6-8 or 5-9, with Peter Wright to come back for the last couple of games for the year and, hopefully, Cox, Reid and Tsatas all get some games in the VFL to hit the ground running with the preseason we can go into 2024 with some confidence.

Port home
Adelaide home
Geelong - poo town
Dogs
Sydney home
Eagle home
North
Giants away
Pies.

If we're playing well, I'd hope to win 5 or 6 of those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lav was puss early but had a great finish to the games. I’m not a massive fan but he’s best 22 until Reid sorts his s**t out

In: Voss, Hobbs and probably Heppell.

Out: Weidemann and Davey (both inj), Jones.

It might be too lateral, but I wonder if the move this week with Weideman out is:
In: Montgomerie
Out: Weideman

Essentially it allows us to swing Langford forward full time, and our forwardline has looked the most potent all year with a combo of Jones, Langford, Stringer and the occasional resting ruckman.
Montgomerie has looked pretty composed too, and has a similar profile (190cm flexible type) that Langford does as a defender.

Davey out for Snelling if his ankle doesn't get up, might be due a rest anyway.

It might be too lateral, but I wonder if the move this week with Weideman out is:
In: Montgomerie
Out: Weideman

Essentially it allows us to swing Langford forward full time, and our forwardline has looked the most potent all year with a combo of Jones, Langford, Stringer and the occasional resting ruckman.
Montgomerie has looked pretty composed too, and has a similar profile (190cm flexible type) that Langford does as a defender.

Davey out for Snelling if his ankle doesn't get up, might be due a rest anyway.
That's the move I'm gunning for, especially with Scott seeming to be content to let Voss continue building in the VFL.

That's the move I'm gunning for, especially with Scott seeming to be content to let Voss continue building in the VFL.
I tend to think if Weidman hadn't got concussed Jones might have moved out for Voss.

Structurally, we probably need Jones now to take Weidemans spot as the primary bailout target down the line and inside 50.

I tend to think if Weidman hadn't got concussed Jones might have moved out for Voss.

Structurally, we probably need Jones now to take Weidemans spot as the primary bailout target down the line and inside 50.
What about Jones,Voss and Flip
Compromise Shrug GIF

With a little bit of package, tippa and Menzies with some Langforward on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back