GC17 launch - article

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
GC 17 LAUNCH THE GOLD COAST FOOTBALL CLUB

http://gc17.com.au/index.php?id=12&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=64&tx_ttnews[backPid]=11&cHash=0954871b07

Friday, 5 September 2008
GC 17, the Gold Coast’s bid for the 17th licence in the Australian Football League, tonight officially launched its name, logo, colours and mascot.

Unveiled at a Gala function on the Gold Coast the club will be known and marketed as the GOLD COAST FOOTBALL CLUB or GCFC.
Club colours will be red, gold and blue and the club mascot will be an iconic Gold Coast surf identity know as "GC ".
GC 17 will deliver its formal submission to the Australian Football League on October 13 for the 17th AFL licence.
The group must satisfy the AFL it has met a set of key criteria including community and business engagement and the development of a football department.
One of the key criteria is the development of a club identity. GC 17 Chairman John Witheriff said the launch of the club’s identity was an historic occasion and followed an intensive process which included community input, research and an analysis of the commercial viability of the brand and logo.
"The GC 17 Bid Team carefully considered all the available information and community input from the process," he said.
"The overwhelming response was that people were passionate about the Gold Coast and wanted the team’s identity to reflect the symbols of the Gold Coast.
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana]"[/FONT]From there we determined that within the AFL there was a strong opportunity in both the local and national market to take a unique branding position as a sporting team based around our home, the Gold Coast.
"Gold Coasters love the Gold Coast. We believe in our community, we believe in ourselves and what we have to offer. We will also believe in and have an emotional connection to our AFL football team.
"AFL fans everywhere will understand what we are about as soon as we run onto the field ... we are about the Gold Coast and what it stands for. We are proudly GC and we will have half a million people behind us."
Mr Witheriff said the Gold Coast Football Club will reflect the local community – progressive, innovative, exciting and a little bit cheeky.
"Our values will be based on commitment, courage, discipline, respect and integrity," he said.
Mr Witheriff said in deciding the name, the team wanted to do more than just exist.
"We want to evoke emotion in people. AFL football is an emotive sport. A supporter’s emotional world is put on the line every time their team runs onto the field," he said.
"With the Gold Coast Football Club playing in the national AFL competition we want people to feel like they belong to this team which will bring so much to the region."
GC17 believes the team will be known simply as Gold Coast or GC and expects fans will create their own cheers or chants when cheering on the team during games.
Mr Witheriff said the colours and mascot were chosen to symbolise the beach culture of the Gold Coast – Red (sun), Gold (sand) and Blue (ocean and sky) and the iconic beach culture of the region.
"This is our journey to become the most exciting sporting club in Australia – the Gold Coast Football Club!"
c0177d23ce.jpg

- White is not listed as one of the colours

Then why are both white and black seen in the colours of the logo??
Just because white and black are the the logo, doesn't mean they are official colours of the team.
Black is a generic colour that is used in so many ways because of its contrast, and white is pretty much an unwritten 'official' colour for every club, since the need for clash jumpers came about.

White and Black aren't colours, they're shades.

Shades of delusion here folks. Every club has at least two colours, one light and one dark so that offset and contrast are offered on an emblem. A third colour adds to the mix.

To throw in a further two colours (white and black) is completely unnecessary on any logo, especially when those colours are not listed as official colours.

Freo has four colours and I can live with that. Hawks have two colours only, which doesn't feature white at all on their emblem and logo, except on their away strip, which after all, should feature more gold than brown.

When children and fans see colours on a logo/emblem, they immediately associate them with the club.

Get real and stop knobbing!!!!!

Shades of delusion here folks. Every club has at least two colours, one light and one dark so that offset and contrast are offered on an emblem. A third colour adds to the mix.

To throw in a further two colours (white and black) is completely unnecessary on any logo, especially when those colours are not listed as official colours.

Freo has four colours and I can live with that. Hawks have two colours only, which doesn't feature white at all on their emblem and logo, except on their away strip, which after all, should feature more gold than brown.

When children and fans see colours on a logo/emblem, they immediately associate them with the club.

Get real and stop knobbing!!!!!
By that logic then, I guess Sydney have the same colours as St Kilda then...
200px-2006_AFL_Sydney_Swans.jpg

and Melbourne has the same as the bulldogs...
200px-MFCLogo2008.jpg

not to mention the purple on the Lions logo and the white (and red) on the Tigers logo.

Thanks Shinboner for your logical research on this matter. I had to get some beauty sleep last night because my mother insisted on it.

Curious how the other posters on this thread have all been from the Kangas. Methinks that too much attention is being paid to the GC colours- vested interest?

So according to your research, 12 out of 16 current clubs adhere to my logic that club colours should be included in a club's logo/emblem. Thats 75%. So maybe there is a point to all this.

From your above; Sydney Swans signage should be in red, and MelbourneFC in white matches the 'universal white away strip' argument anyway. So there's two more sorted out easily. So we're up to 87% adherance.

I had to check the Lions logo closely and your right - there is a purple gradient between the maroon to blue.

As for the Tigers, it has white, with a red tongue. Their away/clash strip increases the proportion of gold rather than use white, but I suppose they could always keep it in reserve. The red tongue is an indulgence and unnecessary though.

So in the end wash, I've been pantsed by my own club on this issue!!! Vossy will have to get this fixed. :cool:

My argument : that club logos/emblems should reflect the club colours has basically held up though, as you would expect. Club signage needs to be added to the list for Swans and GC too. I noticed on the news coverage of the GC presentation that GCFC was written in red underneath the oval which is ok, but at the start of this thread it is written in black.

Going further, if white is on the GC logo, then white is one of their perceived colours, whether it is 'official' according to the blurb , or not used in their match strips as in the Tigers example (get rid of it?).

Why have a colour in your logo/emblem/signage that isn't your club strip colours? When have the Swans ever used black in their match strip (apart from the signage)?

Freo could tell you about the importance of club colours for merchandisiing. Which leads me to this conclusion : how dare GC pinch the Lions Fitzroy away strip colours! It all looks like little brother following big brother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back