Geelong revolutionized the game of football *Bumped*

Remove this Banner Ad

haywood jablome

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2007
Jasusadghrh
AFL Club
Geelong
Last year saw Geelong revolutionize the way football will be played for at least the next decade. Geelong proved that attacking football through the corridor can win you premierships and produce dominant seasons. After Sydney and West Coast both won premierships with possession football, Geelong stuck to their guns and showed how powerful attacking football can be. Now we have Adelaide as well as numerous other teams mimicking the way we played and modeling their plans and systems from the Geelong Football Club. All Hail GFC. Down with the Tassie Dawks, I hope other teams including Sydney can evolve and leave the Tassie Dawks behind, there should be no more allowances for the boring style of football the Tasmanian Dawks play.

Re: Geelong revolutionized the game of football

You call the best sides in the AFL getting hit hard by injury allowing Geelong the softest passage to a grand final ever as revolutionising football? :confused: ok then :confused:

You call the best sides in the AFL getting hit hard by injury allowing Geelong the softest passage to a grand final ever as revolutionising football? :confused: ok then :confused:
You are wrong from the start.
1. The best side was Geelong, we didn't get hit hard by injury. First mistake.
2. No one allowed Geelong to do anything, Geelong created their own future by working hard and playing an attacking style of football that left other teams in their wake. Second mistake.
3. It is the responsibility of each team to manage their players and their welfare, your rabble was plagued with drug controversy for the whole season, you have yourselves to blame, no one else.

winning one flag by playing good attacking, exciting football is not revolutionising the game. its returning to the way it should be.

winning one flag by playing good attacking, exciting football is not revolutionising the game. its returning to the way it should be.
Well that is an opinion that is highly debatable. It has been a long time since this type of football was played successfully, and the direction of "possession football" was starting eat up the way the game was played. I haven't seen any teams use the corridor as well as Geelong for a LONG time. So IMO it was revolutionary and a big standout compared to the shit that has been served up for the past 7 years. It took Geelong to have a shit year and stick with their plan of playing attacking football, now everyone is following. For that I think Geelong deserves some credit for putting football in the right direction.

not going to get a huge argument from me mate. i saw only too well how effective that style of game can be. yes geelong deserve credit, i was just saying the concept of attacking football is not exactly revolutionary but the cats had the guts to stick with it, take risks and it paid off exceptionally well for them.

Last year saw Geelong revolutionize the way football will be played for at least the next decade. Geelong proved that attacking football through the corridor can win you premierships and produce dominant seasons. After Sydney and West Coast both won premierships with possession football, Geelong stuck to their guns and showed how powerful attacking football can be. Now we have Adelaide as well as numerous other teams mimicking the way we played and modeling their plans and systems from the Geelong Football Club. All Hail GFC. Down with the Tassie Dawks, I hope other teams including Sydney can evolve and leave the Tassie Dawks behind, there should be no more allowances for the boring style of football the Tasmanian Dawks play.
Haha, I can see why you started this on Bay 13, you don't believe it is true. If you thought this was actually true, you would have started this thread in the main board. That is so transparent.

Bomber actually said himself that he copied the Geelong style of play and team structure off previous successful teams (Essendon in the early 80's Hawks throughout the 80's, Eagles in the early 90's etc). So, how could something be revolutionary if it was copied off teams from 20 years ago?

Haha, I can see why you started this on Bay 13, you don't believe it is true. If you thought this was actually true, you would have started this thread in the main board. That is so transparent.

Bomber actually said himself that he copied the Geelong style of play and team structure off previous successful teams (Essendon in the early 80's Hawks throughout the 80's, Eagles in the early 90's etc). So, how could something be revolutionary if it was copied off teams from 20 years ago?
You are wrong as well.

1. I am banned from the main board, so there goes that point.
2. If you are going to suggest that you should post a source. He probably did say that, all I am telling you is that I haven't seen a team do it as well as Geelong did last year. This isn't just about the use of the corridor either, the way Geelong turned around its finances, reputation and on field performance was something to behold and take notes from. This is massive and it has shown the way for other clubs who wish to have our success. Who can forget the amazing sportsmanship and realness the players showed to the kids after we won the grand final. Compare this to West Coke and you have a pretty big list of things other teams can learn from. Combine it all together like we did and you have something special.

The only play style Adelaide are mimicking is the Adelaide play style of 2006.

Anyone who says any different is ****ing moron.

methinks that you're trying to feel popular again cause you hate how everyone is turning to 08 and stopped talking about how Geelong were a dominant side in 07. so you're trying to feel superior by creating a crap trolling thread, but it was an extremely poor effort.

oh btw, thanks for kings and gardiner for pick 90 ;). they really stepped up tto our 22 last night, and showed how you guys were wrong not to think much of gardiner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

methinks that you're trying to feel popular again cause you hate how everyone is turning to 08 and stopped talking about how Geelong were a dominant side in 07. so you're trying to feel superior by creating a crap trolling thread, but it was an extremely poor effort.

oh btw, thanks for kings and gardiner for pick 90 ;). they really stepped up tto our 22 last night, and showed how you guys were wrong not to think much of gardiner.
You are wrong as well, your quick psychoanalysis is not even close. You are welcome for King and Gardiner, our team is chock full of good players, there simply weren't enough spots for them. Geelong will be dominant in 08 as well, I don't need to focus on the past, just remember that it happened and look back at all the goals the GFC achieved in one year.

spot on, not much more needs to be said.

It was not that we didnt think much of Gardiner at all, he did well all year in the VFL.

There is simply not enough room for him to make AFL level on a regular basis with Geelong.

That's fine for a team with 9 All Australians but that wont happen again and each team will always play to it's strengths, too simplisitic to say they have revolutionized football, nothing in football is black and white except Collingwood!

it will be intersting to hear your opinion later in the year

I remember a story in the paper early last season, the Cat's coaches box after a win, when a very happy Bomber Thompson said exaltingly "I can't remember the last time we kicked 20 goals to win the match!"

Ken Hinckley smiled wryly behind him and said "We used to do it every week."

Revolution? Pffttt.

Viva la revolution.

The only play style Adelaide are mimicking is the Adelaide play style of 2006.

Anyone who says any different is ****ing moron.

Exactly. Its been hilarious to see that Geelong fans think their team have started some new brand of football.

Exactly. Its been hilarious to see that Geelong fans think their team have started some new brand of football.

We have given them a certain amont of grace but they are really startng to overstep the mark.

What next? - did they invent fooball?

Last year saw Geelong revolutionize the way football will be played for at least the next decade. Geelong proved that attacking football through the corridor can win you premierships and produce dominant seasons.
So what did Brisbane do to make 4 consecutive GFs?:rolleyes:

FWIW you can certainly lay claim to Polly Farmer revolutionising the game but what Geelong did last year was keep it simple and play as a solid team. They deserved the GF because they kicked ass but you still need to take your hand off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back