Preview Geelong V Brisbane Prelim Final Sat Oct 17 7 40 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to beat up on Richmond till we didn’t....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

those games we’ve lost to Brisbane is more to do with us losing than them winning.. if that makes sense

Last year’s prelim actually gives me great confidence. We performed very well that night, against a great opponent with 3-4 key players missing. I think if we get that lead this year, we will not let it slip.

yep, the thought of losing a 4th Prelim in 5 years must be a pretty burning motivation for a lot of the team. This is our best chance at that elusive flag. Must take the opportunity this time.

yep, the thought of losing a 4th Prelim in 5 years must be a pretty burning motivation for a lot of the team. This is our best chance at that elusive flag. Must take the opportunity this time.

We have played better in week 1 and week 2 of this year’s final series than the corresponding games last year. If that trend continues to week 3, we will win.

Last year’s prelim actually gives me great confidence. We performed very well that night, against a great opponent with 3-4 key players missing. I think if we get that lead this year, we will not let it slip.
I agree with that. We didn't choke, we were just reeled in by a better side.

That said, Blicavs to full-back on Lynch may well have won us the game.

Changes from last time we met:

Cats
IN: Stanley, Stewart, Henderson.
OUT: Ratugolea, Fort, Narkle.

Lions
IN: Coleman
OUT: T.Berry

Also worth mentioning we lost Duncan and Narkle before 1/4 time in that game.

Thats some good in for us and some ordinary outs.

Can you share why you have confidence against Lions this week? I have a little, but things always look so good after a big finals win. I got sucked in by our win v Swans in 17, and we splurged out and went to AO. In hindsight, we were not going to get up for them, but this year seems a little different.

I find this slightly unbelievable .. you are one of the most tempered supporter who post in sensible manner. Where you at the Rich game the week before against Richmond? Its funny I have often said my last straw was the Syd game the year before although... I look back and the Freo games either in 12 or 13 at home were very much the redlight alert that were were not what we were...

Anyway lets move on. Brisbane this week

I find it interesting that Geelong beat Port then in finals ... Port beat Geelong , Collingwood beat Geelong ..then Geelong beat Pies in finals ... so on that trend its a struggle this week.

If I was of a positive mind.

I liked our first half, the willingness to be less possession orientated and play a more chaotic gain metre type game ..get it forward..then we have a contested ball and win it again. I also like that having Danger forward has effectually given us a finals move that has given other sides less time to plan.. Scotts tacticall seems to be brilliant in the off season , finding little wins ..but then the clever Kings of the world spot them highlight them and soon they are countered. This year we seem to have gone cold soon after the Hawkins island was highlighted. Danger forward changes it from a double team Hawkins and it stops us.

As Im sure you will remember , teams like Carlton in 95 stopped one of the best ever with SOS playing backshoulder and hand of jumper ..while someone was infront to cut the lead. To me the job was done.. where is the other player now ..there must be someone free.

I also like Danger steely attitude ... its about time to be hard... time is running out , and we are not playing for giggles.

What I don't like ... is I still have issues with guys who are good honest players that cant seem to elevate. Id like Menegola to step up for example. I dont like we are so vulnerable in our height .. Hawkins and Stanley and Blitz and Taylor and Henderson right now are critical beyond their status (bar Hawk). ..and as I have said Taylor and Henderson as singing Jackson Brown. Every boxer thinks they have one last fight in them and we would not want to stress our backline too much

I dont like GA is unable to find a his top gear.. I fear its stripped and no longer there. I dream of one last 2 or 3 goal performance but I fear we will only see these little cameo's. Simpson probably had close to the same input to GA.

I don't like Brisbane weapons ..eg Cameron. Small goal shark forward have been our bane for as long as I can remember.. and Cameron has good memories of burning us in finals.

Its all there for us ..as I don't feel that Brisbane are better than us ..they are on the cusp and we are close to needing a refit ... ironically a switch to the 2004 PF. They have home ground advantage ..but that holds lesser value when we are up there in hub and have a good feel about play at the ground. There are only so many chances for Danger to get to a GF even if this year it still probably not the GF he has dreamed about. I doubt we can kick 13 .3 again... but if we make the most of our chances then we probably win.

Have you been watching football in 2020 perchance?
yep...

I don't see yet that he has elevated in finals... his finals performances would be close to his average , I don't think his disposal was at its best. Kicked a nice set shot. On disposals numbers he had 23 it was not bad but Id hardly say he elevated himself for finals. There would be no way that was close to his best game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you been watching football in 2020 perchance?

He is a terrible finals player, goes missing just like Rohan. I also tend to find him a little lazy and slow at releasing so that slows everything down, needs to get on his bike this week and get the ball moving faster.

For the same reason previously put fwd, they didn’t make PF’s got favourable picks and got talent in such as Cameron. So they’re cherry ripe to make it. I saw a flat Collingwood who couldn’t go again and plenty of worries for Cats. Gryan was better but Rohan was invisible. To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rohan invisible? Not to those with their eyes open.

Rich is in almost career best form i would put a tag on him.
Hes low flat kicks are dangerous.
Need to put the breaks on that.

Cameron super dangerous up the other end of the ground.
Dahlhaus straight to him?

Rich is in almost career best form i would put a tag on him.
Hes low flat kicks are dangerous.
Need to put the breaks on that.

Cameron super dangerous up the other end of the ground.

I actually think Atkins would be a good match up for Rich, but no way is he getting picked ahead of Simpson this week. Definitely need to shut him down though, they really look to get the ball into his hands in defense as often as the can and he sets up a lot of their attacking plays. Far too dangerous to let him rack up uncontested kicks.

Maybe Scott could get us playing dirty and go after Cameron and rough him up
Gee I'd love to see some ruthless footy like this. We haven't seen anything like this from the Cats in a long time. It'd be a perfect way to rattle the inexperienced lions in a big game. Having said that, we wont get away with the kind of shit that flogs like Lynch and Cotchin get away with, so maybe not the best idea on the eve of a GF.

Maybe Scott could get us playing dirty and go after Cameron and rough him up
Tuggers tried it and they laughed it off. I wouldn’t try it vs brisbane.

What i would do is try it against richmond if we meet them again. I reckon they are a bunch of faux tough guys who couldn’t handle what they dish out. I can see them sooking and getting all narky if they copped it right back. Brisbane took everything they threw at them and they lost the plot. They are pissweak unless they are on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back