Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For me my pre season is a bit old school. I like going on longer runs up to 12km to build a tank and as the season nears I work on shorter distances. At training in the pre season we work on more interval type stuff.

It also depends on what position you play and how your team roatates. I play in the reserves and across half back. So I rarely come off but I can also spend 2-3 minutes lightly moving around if the ball is in our forward line. Where as last year I played seniors on a wing so I’d be running flat out for 6-8 mins then off.

I got back into gym this weekend.
Signed up at my local.
To say my arms are bloody sore today would be an extreme understatement.
How do you know how hard to push yourself?
Is there anyway to stretch your triceps?

Signed up at my local.
Newbie soreness is common, your body will adapt in time and DOMs will subside with each passing workout.

Triceps stretches are easy, just have your arm above your head and bend at the elbow - plenty of you-tube and Google examples out there.

Does anybody else do toes 2 bars?

I love this exercise. Had a 7 min amrap challenge yesterday. Got 78. Had to break it down into sets of 2 for the last couple of minutes.

For me my pre season is a bit old school. I like going on longer runs up to 12km to build a tank and as the season nears I work on shorter distances. At training in the pre season we work on more interval type stuff.

It also depends on what position you play and how your team roatates. I play in the reserves and across half back. So I rarely come off but I can also spend 2-3 minutes lightly moving around if the ball is in our forward line. Where as last year I played seniors on a wing so I’d be running flat out for 6-8 mins then off.

12km runs is very old school will Ruin your hormones , resistance training and HIIT increases endurance, also sitting in a sauna at 80degree for 20mins x 3 a week can increase endurance by upto 30%

Signed up at my local.

the latest research indicates you should train to failure and only one or two sets required for each muscle group, drop sets for your last set, to achieve MPS and stimulate mTor.
More sets only enhances the soreness which delays recovery and your next visit to the the gym, your will never over train, more so under recover.

12km runs is very old school will Ruin your hormones , resistance training and HIIT increases endurance, also sitting in a sauna at 80degree for 20mins x 3 a week can increase endurance by upto 30%
Thanks ablett, interesting, I love running and have done it on and off for 40 years now, currently I'm doing 3-4 runs a week vary between roughly 8-11km's. I do feel mildly fatigued quite regularly, I eat very healthily.

Is the running ruins your hormones theory scientifically backed or anecdotal?

I like running long distances.

Maybe the afl players should skip preseason and just sit in a sauna then

There is a reason why runners run because they get better at it.

And I’m not saying my way was the right way but it’s the way I like to do it

the latest research indicates you should train to failure and only one or two sets required for each muscle group, drop sets for your last set, to achieve MPS and stimulate mTor.
More sets only enhances the soreness which delays recovery and your next visit to the the gym, your will never over train, more so under recover.

That sounds like the routine that a minority of people at my gym follow. Arrive at the gym, punch out a set or two on a very random assortment of exercises and then head home. Rinse and repeat.

But I think at this stage I'll stick with my current routine and pass on the latest research. Hopefully next years latest research will be completely different.

That sounds like the routine that a minority of people at my gym follow. Arrive at the gym, punch out a set or two on a very random assortment of exercises and then head home. Rinse and repeat.

But I think at this stage I'll stick with my current routine and pass on the latest research. Hopefully next years latest research will be completely different.

It’s the latest research to be release date but been practised for decades in parts of the World whom are leaders in power n strength records.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks ablett, interesting, I love running and have done it on and off for 40 years now, currently I'm doing 3-4 runs a week vary between roughly 8-11km's. I do feel mildly fatigued quite regularly, I eat very healthily.

Is the running ruins your hormones theory scientifically backed or anecdotal?

Both.
Endurance lowers testosterone, look at endurance athletes compared to Sprinters, sprinting increase testosterone n HGH which leads to muscle growth, endurance also effects your CNS more.

Both.
Endurance lowers testosterone, look at endurance athletes compared to Sprinters, sprinting increase testosterone n HGH which leads to muscle growth, endurance also effects your CNS more.

Yes but genetics will play a part at the elite level. Muscular guys just won’t be good enough to compete against the skinny guys and vice versa. Look at your everyday fun run and people of all shapes and sizes run.

Sprinters generally sprint because they are good at it, distance runners run distance because they are good at it. Their body shapes suit their skill.

Correlation isn’t causation.

For the record I like doing both HIIT and distance running. The original poster wanted to get fit for footy and to do that he would have to do some distance running which could be limited to 2-3km max. But HIIT/interval training is definitely part of it.

Yes but genetics will play a part at the elite level. Muscular guys just won’t be good enough to compete against the skinny guys and vice versa. Look at your everyday fun run and people of all shapes and sizes run.

Sprinters generally sprint because they are good at it, distance runners run distance because they are good at it. Their body shapes suit their skill.

Correlation isn’t causation.

For the record I like doing both HIIT and distance running. The original poster wanted to get fit for footy and to do that he would have to do some distance running which could be limited to 2-3km max. But HIIT/interval training is definitely part of it.
Its also sport specific.
I mean what are footballers more likely to do in a game? Run 12kms straight with no rest. Or do 50ish x 10-20mtr sprints with limited recovery.

Its also sport specific.
I mean what are footballers more likely to do in a game? Run 12kms straight with no rest. Or do 50ish x 10-20mtr sprints with limited recovery.

Agreed, hence why afl players rarely do over 2km time trials.

I’m a bit more old school, I like running longer distances it builds my tank to give myself the fitness to give more shorter repeated efforts. A sign of fitness is how quickly you can recover.

And I was replying to someone playing local football, depending what level you play it will differ but local footy is more like footy in the early 2000s Lower rotations and more time of ground for the better players.

Training to failure reaps the best results.
For hypertrophy on isolation exercises that's what the research says.

For strength it says don't train to failure, which it what many people who go to the gym are trying to achieve.

For compound exercises you're never really training a muscle to failure, just the movement as it's the combination of muscles not working together.

It’s the latest research to be release date but been practised for decades in parts of the World whom are leaders in power n strength records.

That is a big call. It's also ridiculous.

Who are these record holders for both strength and power over the last decades and where can I read/watch them or those training them state that their training was essentially 1 - 2 sets for a number of muscle groups with the second set being to failure?

What are the best stuff to get me fitter for footy games? Im assuming i should work on repeat effort stuff and high intensity.

Going for like a 3km run or something probably wouldn't benefit to much would it

Max Speed + High Aerobic Capacity - Repeat Speed

Speed is needed because without speed what are you repeating?

Aerobic Capacity is needed because it will increase your time to fatigue + improve your recovery speed bouts, thus maintaining repeat speed

Max Speed - sets of 2 - 5secs " 100% intensity with FULL rest (1min per 10m covered at a minimum)

Ae Cap - 10mins minimum or more of low intensity continuous activity at a 4 - 5/10 effort level (it will be actually easier then you tin it should be but boring) and can be done off legs during the season to spare your joints

NOTE: AeCap can be trained a lot of different ways but the above is your starting point

Max Speed + High Aerobic Capacity - Repeat Speed

Speed is needed because without speed what are you repeating?

Aerobic Capacity is needed because it will increase your time to fatigue + improve your recovery speed bouts, thus maintaining repeat speed

Max Speed - sets of 2 - 5secs " 100% intensity with FULL rest (1min per 10m covered at a minimum)

Ae Cap - 10mins minimum or more of low intensity continuous activity at a 4 - 5/10 effort level (it will be actually easier then you tin it should be but boring) and can be done off legs during the season to spare your joints

NOTE: AeCap can be trained a lot of different ways but the above is your starting point

i'm glad you prescribed this. Too many folks think they're doing speed work when they do high intensity runs off short breaks, when it's really just a HIIT workout run as fast as you can on a rep. what happens is they get significantly slower and slower during the workout.

To develop max speed, you need full recovery. anything short of full recovery with speed work and you begin to work other energy systems. footballers don't need to focus on it as much as a track athlete, but if ammo players/clubs are doing 'speed work', then it needs to be programmed correctly. besides, footballers should really just do linear speed work over short distances, so breaks would be shorter anyway.

aerobic work is interesting too. if you ask someone to run 20mins (as an example), they'll run that 20 as fast they can so they're practically rooted at the end. the belief that each and every workout needs to leave you in a sweaty mess is rife, and it's why so many folks don't improve or burnout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back