Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a fitness fanatic but recently have been having problems with injuries. I've largely recovered, but after having an enforced layoff (which I hated) for several weeks I've found myself becoming lazy, not putting in as much of an effort as I could have when I do exercise and other times not doing exercise when I should. My fitness levels are way down on what they were before. The cold weather hasn't helped, but has anyone else found this problem when they were injured and tried to come back?

I'm a fitness fanatic but recently have been having problems with injuries. I've largely recovered, but after having an enforced layoff (which I hated) for several weeks I've found myself becoming lazy, not putting in as much of an effort as I could have when I do exercise and other times not doing exercise when I should. My fitness levels are way down on what they were before. The cold weather hasn't helped, but has anyone else found this problem when they were injured and tried to come back?

If you’re a person of routine then it’ll just take time to get back into the swing of things.

Fibre, fats and protein

But if you are dieting to lose weight, you will be hungry there is no easy way around it.
Soda water helps me in summer, fills the stomach and reduces hunger.

Got any advice on how to get back into weights & cardio after a very very long layoff due to having seriously lost motivation and other family factors.

there was about half a decade in my early 20's where i was in great physical shape, gymmed 4 times a week. Was way easier back then, being single with uni then full time work.

the past 5 years ive had bursts on and off with gymming & maintained a reasonable level of fitness.

Now with a kid and both my wife and I working full time - my fitness has taken a back seat, ive tried to get back into it but its a giant struggle - being time poor we fell into the take away trap.

Got any advice on how to get back into weights & cardio after a very very long layoff due to having seriously lost motivation and other family factors.

there was about half a decade in my early 20's where i was in great physical shape, gymmed 4 times a week. Was way easier back then, being single with uni then full time work.

the past 5 years ive had bursts on and off with gymming & maintained a reasonable level of fitness.

Now with a kid and both my wife and I working full time - my fitness has taken a back seat, ive tried to get back into it but its a giant struggle - being time poor we fell into the take away trap.

Are you a member of a 24 hour gym? I recommend this if it ticks all the boxes. If wife and young child are sleeping you can smash it.
a trainer could be worthwhile to get you back on track.

Start slow
You will remember how to do things that will cause you massive pain
Don't be upset you can't do what you used to do, just set goals of getting back to where you want to and remember you will get there quicker than someone who has never trained before

Start slow
You will remember how to do things that will cause you massive pain
Don't be upset you can't do what you used to do, just set goals of getting back to where you want to and remember you will get there quicker than someone who has never trained before

Great advice!

What my golf instructor told me in relation to golf was to check your ego at the door. Same applies to gym

ive found you just need some space where you can do situps, planks normal pushups, pushups with feet on chair , dips etc etc mainly just using body weight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havent gymed since saturday. Feeling fat, bloated, slugish. Maybe because ive eaten s**t past two days, and a banana 30mins ago.
I'm heading down now, week two of no leg work though, stitches come out next week and then I can squat and deadlift again

Fibre, fats and protein

But if you are dieting to lose weight, you will be hungry there is no easy way around it.

This.

I find when I am craving food, especially high sugar foods it's because I haven't eaten enough Protein during the day

What ado we do? Do we stay away and get better (and hence avoid spreading germs to healthy patrons)?

I used to train through illness.
Reckon the few weeks of half assessed sessions is less beneficial than a week or 2 off then back to full health.

Yeah I try not to go infect the world when I am sick in general

The worst is the at the start or end of the cold when you think you are fine and then have a s**t no energy session

Yeah I try not to go infect the world when I am sick in general

The worst is the at the start or end of the cold when you think you are fine and then have a s**t no energy session

I can’t find the graph we used in Pathology class, but basically any bacteria/virus is in your system for a significant period of time (days if not weeks or even months in the case of some viral infections) before we become symptomatic (basically the bacteria/virus hasn’t replicated enough to exceed our standard immune responses; the fatigue would be because of the energy going into the immune response).
The once the scales tip in favour of the infection we become symptomatic and our body kickstarts an adaptive immune response. After X amount of time (varies depending on age, health, previous exosure like immunisation etc) our immune response exceeds the infections’ capacity to replicate and our symptoms reduce.
However during this period there may still be high amounts of the infectious agent present which our immune system is still fighting hence the lack of energy.
I’ll try and find the graph as it explains that paragraph so much better haha

I can’t find the graph we used in Pathology class, but basically any bacteria/virus is in your system for a significant period of time (days if not weeks or even months in the case of some viral infections) before we become symptomatic (basically the bacteria/virus hasn’t replicated enough to exceed our standard immune responses; the fatigue would be because of the energy going into the immune response).
The once the scales tip in favour of the infection we become symptomatic and our body kickstarts an adaptive immune response. After X amount of time (varies depending on age, health, previous exosure like immunisation etc) our immune response exceeds the infections’ capacity to replicate and our symptoms reduce.
However during this period there may still be high amounts of the infectious agent present which our immune system is still fighting hence the lack of energy.
I’ll try and find the graph as it explains that paragraph so much better haha
That's a pretty succinct and clear attempt, kudos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back