General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the best day I've had in ages, $35k better off on paper.
Pretty sure I dropped over 10k the last few days. I'm trying to pick my target to dip out of a few things so I can have a stockpile of cash to act on quick. Wouldn't be buying anything for a long term hold myself at the moment.

Looks like WES and TLS have received a royal pounding in the ASX.

I'm not all that surprised RE WES, since consumer discretionary was always going to suffer during stagflation/OMICRON, but I was a bit surprised by TLS. Looking at it though, it seems to be due to some one-off events, rather than the underlying company deteriorating.

WES is now around the stage where my technicals would tell me to BTFD, but given that I expect the ASX as a whole to deteriorate going forward, I think I'll just wait.

My technicals did tell me to buy more BNDX, so I did to the tune of $AUD1000. It's hedged to the US dollar, which encouraged me further. Speaking of which:

12.jpg

Seems that the USD is both relatively stable and cheap, hence the yield advantage.

I feel like the homeless dude giving tips on the street corner, but at least the advice I gave yesterday RE investing in USD/USDU/UUP is actually backed up by something.

Last edited:

Woodside Petroleum (ASX: WPL) $27.72

WPL +4.09%: Reported calendar 2021 results today that were ahead of expectations. Underlying 2H21 NPAT of US$1,266 million was around 27% above consensus while the final dividend of US$1.05 a share was more than 50% above consensus expectations. This is a very strong set of results and leads the way for the rest of the domestic sector. In recent times, we’ve often noted how Australian operators have failed to perform in line with their overseas counterparts – today's result could change this trend. Over the past few years, the chorus of investors demanding returns from the sector has grown louder – the US Shale sector has responded, the supermajors have responded but up until now, the Australian operators had not. This is the first time I can remember that an Australian oil and gas company has so comprehensively beaten consensus estimates and at the same time provided a return to shareholders via a big dividend rather than reinvesting for future growth.

Our analyst Clarky had the following to say, which MM agrees with fully: There is no question we’ve gone past the point of no return regarding the ‘Energy Transition’ - this time is different. However, fossil fuels will be required to facilitate this transition, there is not enough investment occurring in fossil fuels, and the transition is going to take a long time - more than a generation. In my view, some companies in the sector are going to become cash machines, in the same way cigarette companies did after advertising restrictions in the 1970s. I suspect this won’t be the last time we see WPL reporting a double-digit dividend yield (annualised) and exceeding earnings expectations….

Woodside

MM%204.png

The Match Out: Stocks rally then fade, Whitehaven declares a dividend, Bunnings profit declines

Another macro economics nerd out with someone i consider is the best economist bar none - Dr Lacy Hunt, with another great analyst, Mike Green.

Dr Hunts central theory is that high levels of public, private and corporate debt, squeeze the laws of diminishing returns, and this slows economic growth.

If you have an hour to kill about the long term play of the US economy, this is a great way to spend with a nice scotch... ok, i had one from The Chita.

I never invest based on information like this, because it takes so long to pan out. But it's still fascinating to me.

PS - some say the US economy is screaming. US average REAL weekly earnings have NOT been this low since 2008.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no charts person but to me gold over the last 6 months is looking pretty good.

People perceive gold as an inflation hedge.

Personally I think it's overrated in that regard, plus you know the old saw about yesterday's winners often being tomorrow's losers...

I also have issues investing directly in commodities in principle (terrible risk-return ratio) but that's another story.

What do you think of YoFarm, the new native crypto currency on Yobit? Yobit has been around for 8 years and seems trust worthy. I am buying some YoFarm to provide liquidity and earn the high interest. It is currently at a low, down 40% from its high, so there might be upside on the coin itself.

I also have issues investing directly in commodities in principle (terrible risk-return ratio) but that's another story.
Rather than investing it should really usually imo be more of a short to medium term trade.

In saying that I think you could still make a decent argument that it's usually too hard.

Is the whole "Russia vs Ukraine" just a convenient excuse for markets as to why everything is so volatile at present?

Skyrocketing debt amongst nearly every country on the planet is surely going to have some impact in the near future, right?

I have a feeling the government in Australia (at least) will do everything possible to prevent any form of negative financial stories prior to the election, wouldn't be surprised to find budget estimates to be billions out (again).

as an fyi I have zero clue about Government and or Finance :)

Is the whole "Russia vs Ukraine" just a convenient excuse for markets as to why everything is so volatile at present?

Skyrocketing debt amongst nearly every country on the planet is surely going to have some impact in the near future, right?

I have a feeling the government in Australia (at least) will do everything possible to prevent any form of negative financial stories prior to the election, wouldn't be surprised to find budget estimates to be billions out (again).

as an fyi I have zero clue about Government and or Finance :)

Probably is a convenient excuse across the backdrop of inflation, rate hikes, debt etc.

But I wouldn't want to dismiss the effect it will have on already existing supply chain issues and more broadly the global markets if tensions intensify

Flat day for me but I was surprised to see Bluescope dip at the open. Picked some up at $18.46. Up by 2% on that at close of trade. Might sell some other shares like AFI and double my holding tomorrow.
Super Retail Group continues to disappoint, but I think it's worth holding onto for a while. Thought they might follow Vicinity Centre which is finally coming good, but no.
Woodside (my biggest holding, bought at 17.80) has been great of late and I think $35 is a possibility, but not sure whether to take the money and run.

Red as far as the eye can see for me other than coal miners. Very odd day. Still buying WHC and CRN on weakness, they are printing money and as much as the wokies want coal removed, its going nowhere. Its still very much needed and will be for a long time. Much like oil and gas, WPL and STO climbing and dividends to remain strong

Days like today are only worth looking at if you've got spare cash to invest in companies that you're comfortable with the fundamentals.

Will IXR be as cheap again as it is today? CDT?

I think TYR has been oversold the last few days.

Days like today are only worth looking at if you've got spare cash to invest in companies that you're comfortable with the fundamentals.

Will IXR be as cheap again as it is today? CDT?

I think TYR has been oversold the last few days.
If I wasn't about to buy a house I'd load further into CDT and CNB, more so CNB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back