General Markets Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Edit: I may pick up some gold (long). Counter-intuitive at this stage of the interest rate cycle but central bank buying went nuts in 2021 after a quieter 2020.
My timeframes are a fair bit longer than ;)most on here though

Agree - not buying right now.
I'm converting some holdings to cash to wait it out, although some acquisition schemes help that (SYD & AST upcoming, had another just before Xmas too)

Chicken Bro GIF by hannahgraphix

Can you elaborate a bit more on your case for WES?

My case for WES:
- WES is classified as Consumer Discretionary. I know, and actually remember explaining to you, that consumer discretionary stocks perform poorly during stagflation. This is not just because in such periods, too much money is chasing select goods (usually oil, but we've just seen the same happen to other goods such as fruits and medical supplies), but because consumers don't have much money left over due to the economic downturns that come with stagflation, and so they won't spend on what they won't need - that includes consumer discretionary products. WES would suffer during such periods. Ergo, a contrarian approach ala Buffet would entail buying WES at a low price in preparation for Australia's consumption-led boom. Come said boom, WES' price skyrockets.

The problem was that I bought WES at just below $56, because I had not properly developed my technicals. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought $500 worth at around $51.50 and just waited.

- WES, being a conglomerate, has what Buffett would call a 'wide moat' - IOW, a massive competitive advantage over the competition. That means it's well-equipped to weather downturns and then clean up the proverbial mess.

- It's well-equipped to weather downturns because its business operations are highly diversified (another example of diversification reducing risk without markedly affecting returns), which makes it a min vol stock. In a volatile market, buying stable stocks seems like commonsense - which is why I haven't been able to bring myself to give away the proverbial TLS 'dog'. :p

- It's considered to be a high-quality company by global standards (strong financial health, not much uncertainty RE financial prospects). High-quality companies outperform in most conditions, including downturns and booms. That WES is a high-quality company also means that it won't suffer as badly from stagflation as other consumer discretionary companies, since it's a well-known name and so investors would be more inclined to hold on to it because they believe it can endure the downturn relatively unharmed.

- AUS is eventually going to enter into a consumption-led boom (not sure when - by the end of H1 2022, I suspect), and WES will benefit even more than most from that due to it being a diversified and thus very influential conglomerate on the AUS landscape.

- It pays a high dividend, which compensates for some of your capital loss. Such companies are attractive in unstable or bearish environments because of this, especially in light of the RBA's reluctance to raise interest rates. High interest rates make dividend-paying companies unattractive because you can get a better ROI by stuffing your money into a bank or by investing in financials.

- Looking at WES, it actually seems to have some qualities of a consumer staple, beyond being relatively stable - its share price actually increased during mid-2021, when interest rates and inflation remained low, despite the Australian economy being rocked by Delta. It's sudden decline after mid-August IMO can be put down to the Sept/Oct external energy shock that took place - it rose after that to end the year at around $60, before this newest round of stagflation caused its price to plummet.

My case against WES:
- I strongly suspect that we're in a bull trap, which will eventually turn into a decline. I agree with Mofra that I'd hold off on buying anything for the moment.

- I think WES may be overvalued ATM. Morningstar value WES at about $47.90 and CMC value WES at $53.55 (within a 5% range, so at least $51; at most $56.22). I've found Morningstar to be somewhat conservative with its valuations, plus quality companies tend to be more expensive than other companies, so it's true value is IMO anywhere from $51-$52.

- Nobody really knows what's going on RE the AUS economy. WES picking up suggests an improvement in consumer spending, which could mean that OMICRON has peaked in certain areas, but that doesn't mean that we're out of the woods yet. The situation is dangerously volatile.

My advice? Put $500 on a stop loss on WES for around $51.50 if possible. Using my own metrics, I wouldn't normally sell until it got to around $66, but in this market it may have to be around $60 (i.e. one standard error above the mean, which means the market on WES is turning very vaguely bullish).

My case for WES:
- WES is classified as Consumer Discretionary. I know, and actually remember explaining to you, that consumer discretionary stocks perform poorly during stagflation. This is not just because in such periods, too much money is chasing select goods (usually oil, but we've just seen the same happen to other goods such as fruits and medical supplies), but because consumers don't have much money left over due to the economic downturns that come with stagflation, and so they won't spend on what they won't need - that includes consumer discretionary products. WES would suffer during such periods. Ergo, a contrarian approach ala Buffet would entail buying WES at a low price in preparation for Australia's consumption-led boom. Come said boom, WES' price skyrockets.

The problem was that I bought WES at just below $56, because I had not properly developed my technicals. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought $500 worth at around $51.50 and just waited.

- WES, being a conglomerate, has what Buffett would call a 'wide moat' - IOW, a massive competitive advantage over the competition. That means it's well-equipped to weather downturns and then clean up the proverbial mess.

- It's well-equipped to weather downturns because its business operations are highly diversified (another example of diversification reducing risk without markedly affecting returns), which makes it a min vol stock. In a volatile market, buying stable stocks seems like commonsense - which is why I haven't been able to bring myself to give away the proverbial TLS 'dog'. :p

- It's considered to be a high-quality company by global standards (strong financial health, not much uncertainty RE financial prospects). High-quality companies outperform in most conditions, including downturns and booms. That WES is a high-quality company also means that it won't suffer as badly from stagflation as other consumer discretionary companies, since it's a well-known name and so investors would be more inclined to hold on to it because they believe it can endure the downturn relatively unharmed.

- AUS is eventually going to enter into a consumption-led boom (not sure when - by the end of H1 2022, I suspect), and WES will benefit even more than most from that due to it being a diversified and thus very influential conglomerate on the AUS landscape.

- It pays a high dividend, which compensates for some of your capital loss. Such companies are attractive in unstable or bearish environments because of this, especially in light of the RBA's reluctance to raise interest rates. High interest rates make dividend-paying companies unattractive because you can get a better ROI by stuffing your money into a bank or by investing in financials.

- Looking at WES, it actually seems to have some qualities of a consumer staple, beyond being relatively stable - its share price actually increased during mid-2021, when interest rates and inflation remained low, despite the Australian economy being rocked by Delta. It's sudden decline after mid-August IMO can be put down to the Sept/Oct external energy shock that took place - it rose after that to end the year at around $60, before this newest round of stagflation caused its price to plummet.

My case against WES:
- I strongly suspect that we're in a bull trap, which will eventually turn into a decline. I agree with Mofra that I'd hold off on buying anything for the moment.

- I think WES may be overvalued ATM. Morningstar value WES at about $47.90 and CMC value WES at $53.55 (within a 5% range, so at least $51; at most $56.22). I've found Morningstar to be somewhat conservative with its valuations, plus quality companies tend to be more expensive than other companies, so it's true value is IMO anywhere from $51-$52.

- Nobody really knows what's going on RE the AUS economy. WES picking up suggests an improvement in consumer spending, which could mean that OMICRON has peaked in certain areas, but that doesn't mean that we're out of the woods yet. The situation is dangerously volatile.

My advice? Put $500 on a stop loss on WES for around $51.50 if possible. Using my own metrics, I wouldn't normally sell until it got to around $66, but in this market it may have to be around $60 (i.e. one standard error above the mean, which means the market on WES is turning very vaguely bullish).

Mate, what is your general view of Morningstar price evaluations?

Personally I think they blow with the breeze a bit. I've seen Morningstar state a stock is undervalued at $5 one day and then state the same stock is overvalued at $4.50 the next day if the market has dropped.

I'd be a bit careful with using them as a read. Morningstar is highly retrospective in my view.

^ To add to the above, esp. pre-demerger with Coles they would have absolutely been considered among the better defensive stocks on the ASX because people still have to eat and we have a virtual duopoly in the supermarket space in Australia (by market share).

Plus, who doesn't love Bunnings? Wesfarmers are gloriously diversified in business interests (even the hot lithium sector, and the online space):

Discl. - I'm a LT WES holder and DRP participant so I'll still be slowly increasing by holdings over time. Still holding the COL shares I got from the demerger as well.

More on Morningstar:

Low-cost fund provider Vanguard ran an analysis in 2013 to see how Morningstar-rated funds performed relative to a style benchmark over three-year periods. The goal was to identify excess returns compared to the benchmark, and group those returns by star rating.

The Vanguard study produced two critical findings, the first being "an investor had a less than a 50-50 shot of picking a fund that would outperform regardless of its rating at the time of selection. This is different than saying five-star funds tend to outperform one-star funds in each category, which is generally true. What it means is that star rating is not a good method to predict performance when measured against a benchmark.

The more surprising finding was that one-star funds had the greatest excess returns. Vanguard found that funds in the five-, four-, three-, and two-star rating groups outperformed their benchmarks by 37% to 39%, but one-star funds produced excess returns of 46%.

Mate, what is your general view of Morningstar price evaluations?

Personally I think they blow with the breeze a bit. I've seen Morningstar state a stock is undervalued at $5 one day and then state the same stock is overvalued at $4.50 the next day if the market has dropped.

I'd be a bit careful with using them as a read. Morningstar is highly retrospective in my view.

David Swensen actually criticised Morningstar because they tended to tout past performers, rather than properly anticipate future ones.

Morningstar's evaluations on CMC are IMO pretty conservative, especially with quality stocks, since those would have an in-built premium due to people being more inclined to buy and less inclined to sell them (since they're less likely to go bust).

Combining them with theScreener's valuation rating gives me a rough idea as to a company's true value - albeit skewed higher for quality stocks (WES true value IMO could be as high as $52).

However, such an approach only really works with companies in value sectors. This is because growth stocks being overpriced won't make them stop growing - so I think Morningstar's valuation rating, in particular, would make growth stocks look more overvalued than they actually are. The business cycle, which is influenced by macroeconomic factors, takes care of a growth stock's valuation, not what Morningstar says.

So with growth stocks, I'd tend to use an assessment of macroeconomic factors + my own metrics when deciding whether to buy or sell. Morningstar/theScreener would have a marginal influence, but I have to admit that when Morningstar thought VRTX to be undervalued at $185USD, I took notice and bought a share (would have bought more with hindsight). So when Morningstar undervalue a company, especially a growth company, you know it's buy-in time.

My case for WES:

My case against WES:

Nah too much thinking for a simple man like me mate, I'll just consider buying it in a broader market pull back.

Did just once think about buying it a few years back when it looked to have a really consistent and long trading channel iirc between $30-35. Thought well surely you could do worse than buying the thing around 30 and selling near 35 with even a divvy.. but it was trading about in the middle of it at the time before finally breaking up out of it pre Coles de-merger!

edit - was actually looking for stuff for my mum to buy, someone that I don't want 'gambling' with anything.. I said maybe start getting a little NAB back at $27 or CSL on any further weakness.

Nah too much thinking for a simple man like me mate, I'll just consider buying it in a broader market pull back.

Did just once think about buying it a few years back when it looked to have a really consistent and long trading channel iirc between $30-35. Thought well surely you could do worse than buying the thing around 30 and selling near 35 with even a divvy.. but it was trading about in the middle of it at the time before finally breaking up out of it pre Coles de-merger!

edit - was actually looking for stuff for my mum to buy, someone that I don't want 'gambling' with anything.. I said maybe start getting a little NAB back at $27 or CSL on any further weakness.

Nah, I wouldn't say you're 'simple'. You're sophisticated enough to post here and display a decent understanding RE what's going on, and you've no doubt been at this for a long time, so I imagine that you know a thing or two that I don't.

That said, my post was long and complex because investing's a complex business, and that's why I've struggled to pick individual stocks.

I like broad-based approaches because otherwise I get tied down in detail and start overthinking - and overwriting. But those don't always work with stocks, because every stock has its own idiosyncracies.

Anyway, I'd say don't buy WES until it falls below $51.50. Even then, buy maybe $500 (minimum amount allowable on Selfwealth). Whether you'd buy more depends on how hard the market falls.

Without telling anyone what to do, for older people I'd recommend bonds due to their low volatility (VAF is my favourite because of the higher dividend yield). If you pointed a gun at my head and forced me to pick one of the Big 4 banks instead, I'd pick ANZ. NAB wouldn't be a bad choice (Westpac is a bit more volatile and CBA is a bubble), but ANZ seems to fluctuate a bit less and offers a slightly higher dividend. That makes it more attractive during a downturn, and older people are more likely to want passive income to live off.

EDIT: FWIW, I begrudingly put a stop loss of $500 on IEM at $66.05 - I don't think EM will do well this year, but I may as well reduce my volatility, and an ETF derived from a broad-based index will do that. I didn't pick WEMG because it seemed like something I'd select as part of an ESG Factor due to its exclusions. For that reason, IEM was more diversified, which should attenuate any losses.

Last edited:
In the long-term, yes. Once the US stock market recovers then its growth stocks (tech and to a lesser extent growth-oriented healthcare like Biotech) will take off, as would most cyclicals because 1) during the rebounding stage, people would have more discretionary income to spend and 2) people believe in the growth of the US. Small-cap and mid-cap stocks should rebound particularly strongly, since people would feel emboldened to take a few chances on 'the next big thing'.

Financials are a partial exception if interest rate hikes don't occur or aren't slated to, because rising inflation (where demand causes the price of goods to rise) makes its assets (money) comparatively less valuable. Customers patronising them more should help them though. Defensives are also redundant.

The ASX will also improve, but not to the same degree because it just doesn't have that growth component to it. Financials should rebound some, with the above caveats, and materials should do OK, but I'd plump for rare earths (graphite/lithium etc.) above all else. Iron ore's fortunes depend on whether China seriously stimulates, as do coal's. Coal will do better if Japan generates more electricity due to a hot summer/cold winter, and demand for steel products should increase when the Japanese market rebounds.

I had been under the impression that the US had passed its bull trap stage and was heading into the decline stage after FB got trashed, but it seems like people think they can still BTFD. So I may have spoken too soon. I think it's still further ahead than we are in this cycle, though.

When I talk about tech, I'm referring to 3rd gen tech more so than 2nd gen tech (GAMMA), though no doubt Gates and Zuckerberg will want a piece of the action. Those two are imperialists.

Interesting, great reply.

I was under the impression that we're at the beginning of another commodities supercycle, which would benefit the ASX short-term, though two of our biggest exports Iron Ore (subject to Chida demand/market manipulation) and Gold (crypto competition) may not experience the gains of the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, great reply.

I was under the impression that we're at the beginning of another commodities supercycle, which would benefit the ASX short-term, though two of our biggest exports Iron Ore (subject to Chida demand/market manipulation) and Gold (crypto competition) may not experience the gains of the rest.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that, at least over the course of this year.

What we're seeing right now are stagflationary conditions caused by internal/external shocks causing too much money to chase too few goods (because people are unavailable to deliver them to supermarkets). This in turn, is driving up energy prices and certain commodity prices, in particular the commodities which are most inelastic (demand for oil remains roughly constant no matter what the price because it's so widely used).

However, commodities as a whole underperform in such conditions because not all commodities are as elastic as oil, plus they are cyclicals - in recessionary conditions, cyclicals tend to suffer because people, and nations, buy what they need more so than what they want. Hence, in such conditions they'll purchase more oil than usual and purchase less of a commodity that they don't need as much. Plus high oil prices make transporting commodities more expensive (thanks Ordovician).

Plus, the Fed is clearly determined to end this state of affairs by hiking interest rates, which will supress oil/commodity prices (which is already happening), not just because high interest rates have a disinflationary effect, but also because oil/commodity inventories become more expensive to hold, cutting into the profits of oil/commodity companies. I reckon that this will occur by May/June, although the Russo-Ukraine conflict and serious Chinese stimulus will attenuate this effect. That said, I do not believe that Putin will actually take Kiev, and Chinese stimulus has been too tentative so far.

Put simply, I don't think we're seeing the start of a commodities supercycle so much as we are a bull trap which will eventually turn into a decline for both the US and AUS stock markets, since the US is entering into a disinflationary downturn due to Fed interference + inventory pileups + withdrawal of money from the US economy. I think the US stock market will decline first, but the ASX invariably follows because, being the world's remaining superpower, the US stock market declining spooks stock investors worldwide into fleeing their respective stock markets. This is especially true for developed markets since they tend to be so closely intertwined - Switzerland IMO is a partial exception due to its defensive focus, which is why I've invested in EWL. Emerging markets aren't a safe haven either, because they tend to be closely tied to China, which is experiencing its own slump.

After the slump (late H2 2022 probably), I do expect commodities to pick up, and that includes iron ore/coal since China will surely stimulate eventually. However, said commodities will include copper, lithium, graphite (thanks 00Stinger) and even helium due to increased space travel, so I'd place more money in those companies going forward. Coal is slowly fading into irrelevance. As for gold, that depends largely on the state of the UK economy, since that's the world's gold hub.

I respectfully don't think crypto will affect demand for gold very much - crypto's problem is that it's not a hard resource nor backed by one, the one country that has accepted it as legal tender (El Salvador) has faced legal problems as a result, and countries are moving to ban it - including great powers like China - because while it's not a ponzi scam in and of itself, it is being used to perpetuate them, and that's unacceptable for moral, ethical and pragmatic reasons - you can't afford to have ordinary people getting ripped off en masse; it hurts the economy.

EDIT: I do rate blockchain technology, but that's because it can be used to make data systems, including healthcare systems, unhackable. So I expect that to do well going forward.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that, at least over the course of this year.

What we're seeing right now are stagflationary conditions caused by internal/external shocks causing too much money to chase too few goods (because people are unavailable to deliver them to supermarkets). This in turn, is driving up energy prices and certain commodity prices, in particular the commodities which are most inelastic (demand for oil remains roughly constant no matter what the price because it's so widely used).

However, commodities as a whole underperform in such conditions because not all commodities are as elastic as oil, plus they are cyclicals - in recessionary conditions, cyclicals tend to suffer because people, and nations, buy what they need more so than what they want. Hence, in such conditions they'll purchase more oil than usual and purchase less of a commodity that they don't need as much. Plus high oil prices make transporting commodities more expensive (thanks Ordovician).

Plus, the Fed is clearly determined to end this state of affairs by hiking interest rates, which will supress oil/commodity prices (which is already happening), not just because high interest rates have a disinflationary effect, but also because oil/commodity inventories become more expensive to hold, cutting into the profits of oil/commodity companies. I reckon that this will occur by May/June, although the Russo-Ukraine conflict and serious Chinese stimulus will attenuate this effect. That said, I do not believe that Putin will actually take Kiev, and Chinese stimulus has been too tentative so far.

Put simply, I don't think we're seeing the start of a commodities supercycle so much as we are a bull trap which will eventually turn into a decline for both the US and AUS stock markets, since the US is entering into a disinflationary downturn due to Fed interference + inventory pileups + withdrawal of money from the US economy. I think the US stock market will decline first, but the ASX invariably follows because, being the world's remaining superpower, the US stock market declining spooks stock investors worldwide into fleeing their respective stock markets. This is especially true for developed markets since they tend to be so closely intertwined - Switzerland IMO is a partial exception due to its defensive focus, which is why I've invested in EWL. Emerging markets aren't a safe haven either, because they tend to be closely tied to China, which is experiencing its own slump.

After the slump (late H2 2022 probably), I do expect commodities to pick up, and that includes iron ore/coal since China will surely stimulate eventually. However, said commodities will include copper, lithium, graphite (thanks 00Stinger) and even helium due to increased space travel, so I'd place more money in those companies going forward. Coal is slowly fading into irrelevance. As for gold, that depends largely on the state of the UK economy, since that's the world's gold hub.

I respectfully don't think crypto will affect demand for gold very much - crypto's problem is that it's not a hard resource nor backed by one, the one country that has accepted it as legal tender (El Salvador) has faced legal problems as a result, and countries are moving to ban it - including great powers like China - because while it's not a ponzi scam in and of itself, it is being used to perpetuate them, and that's unacceptable for moral, ethical and pragmatic reasons - you can't afford to have ordinary people getting ripped off en masse; it hurts the economy.

EDIT: I do rate blockchain technology, but that's because it can be used to make data systems, including healthcare systems, unhackable. So I expect that to do well going forward.
Damn, that feels like a condensed moden day economics lecture.

No problems on the graphite, good commody needed for lithium batteries whilst being more scarce and not many people know that. So companies like RNU were/are good to invest in at a cheap rate before everyone else clicks and starts buying them up.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Damn, that feels like a condensed moden day economics lecture.

No problems on the graphite, good commody needed for lithium batteries whilst being more scarce and not many people know that. So companies like RNU were/are good to invest in at a cheap rate before everyone else clicks and starts buying them up.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It's ironic you mention an econ lecture really, because I did study a few econ courses way back in the day, but certainly not in the manner needed to negotiate the stock market.

RE companies like RNU, I feel that the market is too volatile to be confident RE small-cap investments right now. That's the problem. I'm not telling you to sell, but I won't dive in just yet.

My general approach, beyond upping bond holdings I like because of their yield (TIPS, VAF) and getting rid of ones with lesser yield so I don't go over my allocated amount (IAGG, even though that's hedged to the USD), has been to not do much beyond look for opportunities to increase my holdings in consumer staples, and to a lesser degree blue-chip healthcare, telcos and utilities + UMAX. With utilities you have to watch for a renewables component, because that makes it take on some features of a lower-quality growth stock (EDIT: i.e. more vulnerable during stagflation + slightly better in bull markets than other utilities + slightly worse in bear markets).

Other people could no doubt have told me this, but I've come to recognise that inflation-linked bonds are not as different from regular bonds as I've been led to believe. I knew that their effectiveness against sharp inflationary spikes was limited because they naturally price in an inflation increase of a certain amount, but during deflationary periods they still increase in value, albeit not by as much as regular bonds.

TLDR; I focused too much on the inflationary aspect of bonds, and forgot that they were still bonds and not equities. Junk bonds behave more like equities because people's willingness to invest in risky assets, which junk bonds are, signifies a belief that the economy will grow going forward.

Last edited:
Sharing this YouTube channel because it's such a valuable resource that I found in the last year.

For those who didn't study finance in uni, Professor Aswath Damodaran is essentially the godfather of valuation - his resources are used across academia and throughout industry. Very good resource if you're interested in fundamentals rather than technical analysis. There's lots of lectures on his Youtube page and he puts out occasional videos on his read on certain macro topics like inflation, interest rates, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back