Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
I agree they don't seem as enthusiastic about getting a coastal team back into the TSL as they were a few weeks ago as they are already starting to spend the money they put aside for that purpose. I also think it has dawned on them that it will have to be an existing club they recruit because it must be obvious to them it is not possible to create a new club, its not even worth trying for that option really. Maybe they have spoken to Burnie and Devonport and got the message loud and clear they are not interested. Both versions of statewide footy have ended badly for the coastal teams, their geographical isolation to the rest of the state and lack of AFL standard facilities have taken its toll. As a player or supporter why would you want to be involved in a competition where you have to do way more travel than the other teams and get no home finals, its not a very attractive option really. I personally would like to see a coastal team back in the TSL but there will have to be a very significant change of attitude by AFL Tas and the other clubs for that to be any chance of happening. Trying to get a coastal team back on the same terms as before would be a total waste of time by AFL Tas. The biggest victims of all this are the young players who want to play at the highest level possible and now do not have that opportunity in their home region.

I agree they don't seem as enthusiastic about getting a coastal team back into the TSL as they were a few weeks ago as they are already starting to spend the money they put aside for that purpose. I also think it has dawned on them that it will have to be an existing club they recruit because it must be obvious to them it is not possible to create a new club, its not even worth trying for that option really. Maybe they have spoken to Burnie and Devonport and got the message loud and clear they are not interested. Both versions of statewide footy have ended badly for the coastal teams, their geographical isolation to the rest of the state and lack of AFL standard facilities have taken its toll. As a player or supporter why would you want to be involved in a competition where you have to do way more travel than the other teams and get no home finals, its not a very attractive option really. I personally would like to see a coastal team back in the TSL but there will have to be a very significant change of attitude by AFL Tas and the other clubs for that to be any chance of happening. Trying to get a coastal team back on the same terms as before would be a total waste of time by AFL Tas. The biggest victims of all this are the young players who want to play at the highest level possible and now do not have that opportunity in their home region.
The coastal teams not being able to host finals was a silly idea was only going to piss people off on the coast, As for creating a New team from scratch, well at least they have hopefully learnt from the disater of the Western storm. just those two things alone are small part of kluster fuc* the Wade, Young team acomplished.

Was at North Hobart Oval last night to watch the NPL Tasmania game Hobart Zebras v South Hobart according to Walter Pless a crowd of 614
According to my source North Hobart Football Club got a cut of the gate receipts plus all the revenue from the Kiosk and Bar on the Lewis Street. Makes sense for the Zebras as the Italian club is just arond the corner you get more people heading back to Fedtal street than you would at Grove Road.

There will be another game hosted by the Zebras there on Anazac Day (As well it hosted the Summer Cup Final). The crowd to me seemed as big or even bigger to the first game of TSL last year at the same time.

AFL Tasmania really need to get it together, if you told me such a situation would exsit 10 yeas ago I would of not belived it.

Last edited:
Practice matches yesterday.
Launceston recorded a 113-point win over NTFA club Bridgenorth at Windsor Park, 22.16 (148) to 5.5 (35)

At North Hobart, the Demons faced up to Northern Football League club Heidelberg from Melbourne and went down by 69-points, 11.17 (83) to 1.8 (14).

Last edited:

Launceston recorded a 113-point win over NTFA club Bridgenorth at Windsor Park, 22.16 (148) to 5.5 (35)

At North Hobart, the Demons faced up to Northern Football League club Heidelberg from Melbourne and went down by 69-points, 11.17 (83) to 1.8 (14).
Isnt it refreshing to be talking about North Hobart rather than the hybrid Hobart City.

Was at North Hobart Oval last night to watch the NPL Tasmania game Hobart Zebras v South Hobart according to Walter Pless a crowd of 614
According to my source North Hobart Football Club got a cut of the gate receipts plus all the revenue from the Kiosk and Bar on the Lewis Street. Makes sense for the Zebras as the Italian club is just arond the corner you get more people heading back to Fedtal street than you would at Grove Road.

There will be another game hosted by the Zebras there on Anazac Day (As well it hosted the Summer Cup Final). The crowd to me seemed as big or even bigger to the first game of TSL last year at the same time.

AFL Tasmania really need to get it together, if you told me such a situation would exsit 10 yeas ago I would of not belived it.
Sounds like soccer's slowly by stealth trying to take over the ground like they've always wanted to.
From what I heard last night there's a distinct possibility that Hobart might be playing their home games at North Hobart in the SFL all season.
The HCC have ruled that the TCA can host only Seniors and Reserves for Hobart (SFL) and DOSA (OSFA).
Hobart's Colts, SFLW, STJFL, Master Rules, training etc all have to find alternate venues in 2018.
Given that Hobart hasn't got many volunteers nowdays it's likely they'll have to move for the whole season to keep the three teams together.

Normally prctice matches results are generally just a guide and not fkr premiership points. But wit the TSL discussions and the "debate" whether there is a problem with the TSL imo I believe that result shows that the standard of the TSL has certainly wained As stated Heidelberg isa club in the Northern Foootball League a yes Division One clubs are of a high standard but the margin in this case was great considering TSL should be up there with the major leagues in other states
Perhaps its time that Tasmania reverted back to three Major leagues. NWFL.NTFL and STFL.
WHY the change, Costs. Clubs would save hundreds of dollars in reduced travelling to start with.
The STFL could be formed with the balance of the TSLsouthern sides with the inclussion of New Norfolk and Claremont and one other to form an 8 team competition
EASTERN FOOTBALL LEAGUE in VICTORIA arguably the best and biggest competition in Melbourne and as from next year is actually reducing Divisions two to five to eight teams.One of the advantages of reducing the sides in each division was cost saving ie reduced match payments and insurences.
IMO a return to the three major competitions would allow for clubs to consolodate, improve recruiting of players more local and inturn generate greater community interest which could improve the bottom line especially in sponsorships and memberships.
Whilst most of my comments have been about cost reductions this inturn should be generated in player development and retention with an emphasis on the under age comp and could pave the wave for the Tasmania Mariners to reconnect with the VIc TAC comp
By returning to Regional Major comps each Region hosts it's own final series that should address an obvious in balance to the previous coastal teams.
And who knows you could have a state title.In the end its up to the powers of Tas Football to sort out the future hopefully they are not in denial but can come up with some ideas to regenerate football at the elite level or levels

Normally prctice matches results are generally just a guide and not fkr premiership points. But wit the TSL discussions and the "debate" whether there is a problem with the TSL imo I believe that result shows that the standard of the TSL has certainly wained As stated Heidelberg isa club in the Northern Foootball League a yes Division One clubs are of a high standard but the margin in this case was great considering TSL should be up there with the major leagues in other states
Perhaps its time that Tasmania reverted back to three Major leagues. NWFL.NTFL and STFL.
WHY the change, Costs. Clubs would save hundreds of dollars in reduced travelling to start with.
The STFL could be formed with the balance of the TSLsouthern sides with the inclussion of New Norfolk and Claremont and one other to form an 8 team competition
EASTERN FOOTBALL LEAGUE in VICTORIA arguably the best and biggest competition in Melbourne and as from next year is actually reducing Divisions two to five to eight teams.One of the advantages of reducing the sides in each division was cost saving ie reduced match payments and insurences.
IMO a return to the three major competitions would allow for clubs to consolodate, improve recruiting of players more local and inturn generate greater community interest which could improve the bottom line especially in sponsorships and memberships.
Whilst most of my comments have been about cost reductions this inturn should be generated in player development and retention with an emphasis on the under age comp and could pave the wave for the Tasmania Mariners to reconnect with the VIc TAC comp
By returning to Regional Major comps each Region hosts it's own final series that should address an obvious in balance to the previous coastal teams.
And who knows you could have a state title.In the end its up to the powers of Tas Football to sort out the future hopefully they are not in denial but can come up with some ideas to regenerate football at the elite level or levels

Worth noting that North Hobart probably wont win a game this year.

I think what you have said makes a lot of sense. AFL Tas keep taking about pathways for young players but surely the most important thing they need to do is get the Mariners back in the TAC Cup full time then the best young players in Tasmania can play in that extremely high standard comp and have far more chance of being noticed and hopefully drafted than they will ever have in the TSL, its not rocket science. The TAC cup is a way better comp for talented young kids than the TSL will ever be. The TSL has become a plaything for a handful of ego strokers in my opinion.

Thanks for that.

A full time Tac cup team is/was a big & costly effort in both $$$ & travel/training time. One thing that did happen last time was many players who didn't get drafted very quickly dropped out of TSL football or some went interstate. They often lost their club culture as they were mainly away from their club during those seasons they would have grown into senior players. Growing up through juniors into seniors teaches club culture, tribalism if you like. Its part of the strength of community footy. The kids & families get involved. Thats how it use to be. A lot of those Mariners kids & families were lost after that program was finished with them.

The TSL is an AFL competition. Its should always higher standard than regional football. The AFL have run it on a shoe string. The stresses of that have shown out this season. Its been apparent to footy people here for ages. AFLTas said they were blind sided by what happened. That just showed how incompetent they are & how divorced from reality they must be.

If the AFL want a legitimate & productive TSL, they need to fund it properly & enable it to find AFL experienced coaches & quality fitness staff & pay the players for their extra time & effort. As well as being able to keep our own kids here & attract our ex AFL types back here. With that, the developing kids would grow up in a quality supportive & professional environment.

Regional footy cant do all that. Its great for home derby games etc, but it cant support the best kids to play & develop here. We Simply give the field to soccer. We'll have even less attraction for kids to play AR. As much as I love the footy our friends & families grew up in, its not 1975 anymore. People are busier in life. That strong 3 region competition could never be strong enough to do what a proper TSL could/should do.

Its the AFLs choice.

North Hobart have been torn to bits by the mess caused after AFLTas wanted to merge Hobart FC & North Hobart FC. The failure of that & forced to be the Hobart Demons cost a lot of support & money. They are at the start of a long rebuild. The end result, like the future of the TSL is moot.

AFLTas tried to destroy South Launceston the same way. Look at that mess. AFLTas just walked away from that one after their 'invented' clubs Western Storm & Prospect Hawks collapsed. That says it all about how AFLTas have (mis)managed things time & again. Ad Nauseam!!!!! No onder the public just laugh at AFLTas & vote with their feet.

The clubs left are not all that strong either.

No doubt the concept of the TSL is good but in practical terms it just wont work, whether throwing a bucket load of money at it will make any difference remains to be seen, I think a major restructure is also required if it is to survive. The coastal teams are gone and there are going to be some awful thrashings dished out this season just like there were for Burnie and Devonport last year in their death throes in that competition. As for the TAC cup if you look at the mainland that's where the majority of draftees in Victoria come from, why would it be any different in Tasmania. With Gil McClachlan in Hobart this week I think it would be very worthwhile for him to travel up the coast and speak directly with the presidents of Burnie and Devonport to get the real facts as to why their TSL participation ended like it did, but I doubt that will happen. I'm not sure he will hear the full story anywhere else.

No doubt the concept of the TSL is good but in practical terms it just wont work, whether throwing a bucket load of money at it will make any difference remains to be seen, I think a major restructure is also required if it is to survive. The coastal teams are gone and there are going to be some awful thrashings dished out this season just like there were for Burnie and Devonport last year in their death throes in that competition. As for the TAC cup if you look at the mainland that's where the majority of draftees in Victoria come from, why would it be any different in Tasmania. With Gil McClachlan in Hobart this week I think it would be very worthwhile for him to travel up the coast and speak directly with the presidents of Burnie and Devonport to get the real facts as to why their TSL participation ended like it did, but I doubt that will happen. I'm not sure he will hear the full story anywhere else.

If the TSL is to have a place, it should be to provide the best standard for the U18 elite to play & help with their development. That in conjunction with a part time Mariners program. Also to attract players back after being cut from AFL lists. It also provides a better pathway for coaches & umpires. Also the guys & girls who want to play at the highest standard they can. That at least will provide a better product for the public.

Otherwise players will just leave for VFL, NEAFL Vic metro, country, etc etc. The difference between a 'proper' TSL & going back to regional footy will make or break the future of out football IMO. Also fund getting back in a much stronger way to schools & junior clubs to interest & excite the kids interest.

Bring back interstate clearances. That has killed us. They take a kid for free & how do clubs invest in the next lot for export?

Talking to people outside the very much tainted & poorly regarded AFLTas office, would be an interesting change of 'management' practises. AND Its oh so sorely needed.

That is the brightest outcome in our opinion (Me & my footy mates). But to do that the AFL must support it much better, much like the other state leagues in fact. Say $250k with strict monitoring of finances. Its about the players. Invest in them at least.

The Salary cap needs to double straight away. Better packages to attract/ develop the best coaches. Cost of travel paid. At least semi finals on the higher ladder positions. Generally GF at York or Bellerive. Maybe NWC if both teams are from NWC. A bit more common sense infact.

The league should also be structured so we can have 2 NWC, 2 Launy area & 4 Hobart area. Play N&S conference system to limit the trave so clubs play in their region more often. Otherwise its a WOT. It needs to be a whole of state league.

Its NEVER been structure properly In Our Opinion.

The regional leagues need to be much more integrated so younger players, say guys under 23, can be invited to play TSL without a clearance. It should be a choice the players can make to try to improve themselves or drop back for games if work or injury or whatever problems arise. Older guys may need a clearance so they have time to try early then make their mind up as they get older.

Surely thats not rocket science is it? Surely a better structured & integrated system that would benefit communities & aspiring players, coaches & umpires, is what is needed.

Having an AFL club is a different issue. Related, but different.

Thanks for that.

A full time Tac cup team is/was a big & costly effort in both $$$ & travel/training time. One thing that did happen last time was many players who didn't get drafted very quickly dropped out of TSL football or some went interstate. They often lost their club culture as they were mainly away from their club during those seasons they would have grown into senior players. Growing up through juniors into seniors teaches club culture, tribalism if you like. Its part of the strength of community footy. The kids & families get involved. Thats how it use to be. A lot of those Mariners kids & families were lost after that program was finished with them.

The TSL is an AFL competition. Its should always higher standard than regional football. The AFL have run it on a shoe string. The stresses of that have shown out this season. Its been apparent to footy people here for ages. AFLTas said they were blind sided by what happened. That just showed how incompetent they are & how divorced from reality they must be.

If the AFL want a legitimate & productive TSL, they need to fund it properly & enable it to find AFL experienced coaches & quality fitness staff & pay the players for their extra time & effort. As well as being able to keep our own kids here & attract our ex AFL types back here. With that, the developing kids would grow up in a quality supportive & professional environment.

Regional footy cant do all that. Its great for home derby games etc, but it cant support the best kids to play & develop here. We Simply give the field to soccer. We'll have even less attraction for kids to play AR. As much as I love the footy our friends & families grew up in, its not 1975 anymore. People are busier in life. That strong 3 region competition could never be strong enough to do what a proper TSL could/should do.

Its the AFLs choice.

North Hobart have been torn to bits by the mess caused after AFLTas wanted to merge Hobart FC & North Hobart FC. The failure of that & forced to be the Hobart Demons cost a lot of support & money. They are at the start of a long rebuild. The end result, like the future of the TSL is moot.

AFLTas tried to destroy South Launceston the same way. Look at that mess. AFLTas just walked away from that one after their 'invented' clubs Western Storm & Prospect Hawks collapsed. That says it all about how AFLTas have (mis)managed things time & again. Ad Nauseam!!!!! No onder the public just laugh at AFLTas & vote with their feet.

The clubs left are not all that strong either.
Interesting. The three regional leagues given major status would work If you study the Eastern Football League Division One soon to be badged as the Premier Division is an extremely well run and professional division not only in high standards but also financially sound One has to also examine the results of the match between Heidelberg and North Hobart not really a close result especially N H is on a state league So its irrelevant if you have three major leagues or one State League But you have to have greater or deeper pockets to run a statewide competition Players need greater compensation and commitment The NWFL wit its eight teams will create competitiveness excitement and greater support and commitment with players and improve the supporter base. It's is also interesting to note attendances at the EFL and Northern Leagues in Melbourne attract health crowds far better than most VFL games . Talent scouts would not find any difficulty in scouting three comps in Tasmania. But Tasmania should be united in the promotion of the Tassie Mariners That's where the future will be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much has been made re the result North Hobart V Heidelberg. For the record there will be a 10-12 player inclusion for North Hobart's side v Kingston next week. My understanding is that they have the greatest representation in the Mariners or Academy programs as well as several cricketers who were absent on Saturday. Now that the case is closed on the direction of the club { which was pure bloody mindless after Hobart withdrew from the license application in 2013} then I can only see a resurgence of the Demons. Dont worry it will be hot cross buns and a hot footy at North Hobart Oval on Good Friday.

Interesting article Written by the ABC's Chris Rowbotton on the state of Football in Tasmania.

Kicking in danger

Interested in those at the Coal Face if he has captured some of the problems facing teams for State League to regional?

Where are Old scholars clubs getting the Money from to outspend clubs Like New Norfolk?
and would Jackson Hills player points systems and hard salary caps work? or be able to be policed such as
The old Brown Paper Bag.

Last edited:
Where are Old scholars clubs getting the Money from to outspend clubs Like New Norfolk?

I wouldn't think that any OSFA Club would have the money to outspend any club in the SFL or TSL.

Interesting article Written by the ABC's Chris Rowbotton on the state of Football in Tasmania.

Kicking in danger

Interested in those at the Coal Face if he has captured some of the problems facing teams for State League to regional?

and would Jackson Hills player points systems and hard salary caps work? or be able to be policed such as
The old Brown Paper Bag.

Great post GB. Yes the structure needs addressing. The 'pathway' thing is a complete fork up & needs addressing. I'll argue we need a proper TSL to attract players up & back to. Clubs that do represent their community. Clubs that have that old tribal appeal. Clubs that help develop players to the best they can be in a semi amateur league. A league worth playing in, following & recruiting players, coaches & umpires from.

Right now we have a (albeit small) TSLW league with NW, N & S all represented. We have a state soccer league with NW, N & S all represented. State netball with NW, N & S And a senior mens TSL with no NWC. What a disgrace. And we're told AFLTas were 'blind sided'.

And they get paid?

I wouldn't think that any OSFA Club would have the money to outspend any club in the SFL or TSL.
Rooster Man NN VP Chris Lovell also mentioned the Oatlands District as well as the OSFA as per this quote"In 2016, we lost 28 players to those other two leagues in southern Tasmania because they were paying money we couldn't afford to pay,"

I would of thought these clubs on the Oatland Districts as well as OSFA could not outspend the Boys from the "Valley Of Love". In my time in the OSFA all be it a long long time ago the coach and the assistants got paid and that was it. Was a great comp

Yes, Steering committee blah blah, $200k to elite pathway kids blah blah, proposed solutions blah blah.

Good photo op.

I would have liked fewer AFL minions & some more local representation. The best ones I've heard are the Burnie president, presidents from NL, NH Lauderdale & Glenorchy all come across well. They all sound like the right sort of capable people. A couple of those would have been good options.

I've never heard the Launy president, the Kingston guy sounded terrible on radio. The Clarence president was always so far up Wades arse that even a colonoscopy wouldn't have moved him. He would only care about his own ego & Clarence interests.

I'd trust the rest to make good representation. Thats probably why no one is on it. :(

Kicking in danger

The old Brown Paper Bag.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...struggling-to-survive-chris-rowbottom/9562162

I wonder when was the last time the Job of general manager or CEO of AFL Tasmania (and its former Name) was actually advertised?
Was it when Mr Wade took the Job after two years as Clarence GM 97-99 or before that?

I take it the Job would pay well?, Would be interesting to know who would apply if it was advertised, and who is to say Trisha Squires would still not be the best person for the Job out of the field of candidates.

But IMO the last two appointments have a traineeship feel about them, at a time of great crisis.

Maybe clubs need to be rationalised merged as Alan Haw commented said on the Tasmanian Football Scores & News FB sight (Thinking outside the square)

"Tas football needs less teams in our areas. Forget an AFL team for now .
I think that combining our country teams to make a strong competition in the south and north, for example sorell,dodges,triabunna,Tasman could be south east suns.
Norflok and Brighton etc, our population cannot handle all these clubs close together . As soon as this is realized then football would thrive again "

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back