Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
The coastal teams didn't play the leaving card, they left with the intention of never coming back because they got the message loud and clear from the most important people, the players, that the travel commitments required to play in the TSL were simply too great. Then the other 7 clubs and AFL Tas decided they desperately wanted at least one NWC team in the comp but if AFL Tas think they can just drive up from Hobart and sign up another team and then drive back again they must be living in fairyland. They will have to listen to the problems raised by people on the coast and then see what they can do about them. I cant see why any coastal team would go back into the TSL without some significant changes to travel arrangements, why would they, its already known the previous arrangements didn't work. If the other teams in the comp can alleviate some of the travel issues for the a coastal team by doing a bit more travelling themselves there may be some hope for a NWC after all.

Leaving seems to be the only way to get attention.

The solution, IMHO, for a workable TSL is/was to have a balanced competition split into north & south divisions. They can then limit the travel substantially. ie only 2 or 4 trips south or north depending on how much travel one wants. ie home & away twice in each conference, gives 12 games, 2 trips south & north makes it a 16 game season 2 clubs one year, the other 2 the next), or 4 trips, thats 8 games H&A, makes it 20 games. Finals would have to be different with travel just a part of the TSL finals.

The other thing is a suitable salary cap structure & access to quality coaching & fitness experts & the ability for clubs to pay for it.

Also a proper pathway from juniors to senior footy. Kids should be free to try TSL or regional footy, it should be up to them, not petty, small minded, club administrators.

Much more coaching & development in schools & junior clubs also.

Leaving seems to be the only way to get attention.

The solution, IMHO, for a workable TSL is/was to have a balanced competition split into north & south divisions. They can then limit the travel substantially. ie only 2 or 4 trips south or north depending on how much travel one wants. ie home & away twice in each conference, gives 12 games, 2 trips south & north makes it a 16 game season 2 clubs one year, the other 2 the next), or 4 trips, thats 8 games H&A, makes it 20 games. Finals would have to be different with travel just a part of the TSL finals.

The other thing is a suitable salary cap structure & access to quality coaching & fitness experts & the ability for clubs to pay for it.

Also a proper pathway from juniors to senior footy. Kids should be free to try TSL or regional footy, it should be up to them, not petty, small minded, club administrators.

Much more coaching & development in schools & junior clubs also.
I agree with what you say. Excessive travel has always been the achilles heel of a statewide comp. With a north and south division we can have the best of both worlds. The real positive thing about teams playing more games in their own region is better crowds (and finances) because they will get supporters from both competing clubs to attend the games wheras the north vs south games really only attract the supporters of the home teams.

I agree with what you say. Excessive travel has always been the achilles heel of a statewide comp. With a north and south division we can have the best of both worlds. The real positive thing about teams playing more games in their own region is better crowds (and finances) because they will get supporters from both competing clubs to attend the games wheras the north vs south games really only attract the supporters of the home teams.

The stress on clubs that travel is real. Loss of supporters is real. I thought it the best way to keep our Tier1 comp going & reduce the travel & encourage public support. It still needs some better AFL investment to reward the players efforts & get the coaches & fitness experts it needs.

Wouldn't have made a lot. Only 1,957 attended! LOL.
Seriously, what a STUPID place to hold a game involving AFL clubs to draw decent crowds.
No seating apart from a couple of tiny little stands, inadequate toilet facilities, poor access (made worse with the bungled bypass taking 247 years to complete), way out of town. Good playing surface but then so has North Hobart and the dimensions aren't greatly different.
Might as well have held it at Dodges Ferry Primary School Ground (Shark Park).

Why not North Hobart? Consistent record of great crowds in recent years to see NRL, ARU and A League action - gee, patrons can even sit down, central location for all, access no problem, good kiosk and bar access. Great atmosphere on the hill. Probably like Sydney Cricket Ground in size so whats the problem? Logical to be home of AFLW too. I think Labour have promised funds for re-development, hope Libs do the same.

Why not North Hobart? Consistent record of great crowds in recent years to see NRL, ARU and A League action - gee, patrons can even sit down, central location for all, access no problem, good kiosk and bar access. Great atmosphere on the hill. Probably like Sydney Cricket Ground in size so whats the problem? Logical to be home of AFLW too. I think Labour have promised funds for re-development, hope Libs do the same.
Oh I agree totally. Was ridiculous to stage a match like that in a venue which, although good for players, is woeful for spectators.
North Hobart would've pulled 4,500-5,000 quite easily.
Maybe in years to come when there's proper infrastructure in place (undercover seating, proper toilet facilities, decent access, proper public transport to the venue, decent parking, the bypass is finished etc) then Kingston could be considered for holding a game but at the moment it's clearly not up to standard.
It amuses me that anyone is surprised at a poor turnout at this venue especially given the fact that heavy rain fell at the ground up to around an hour before the match started.

I can remember several games in our time in the TSL where we played games in front of almost empty houses.
Glenorchy v Hobart at KGV pulled 73 paying spectators in heavy rain one day.
Hobart v Devonport at the TCA pulled 79, Hobart v Launceston one night at the TCA pulled 58 paying spectators.
Hobart v Clarence one windy night at the TCA pulled 72 paying spectators.
Can't make money and thrive under those circumstances and the travel costs just compounded the problem as nobody travels anymore.

Oh I agree totally. Was ridiculous to stage a match like that in a venue which, although good for players, is woeful for spectators.
North Hobart would've pulled 4,500-5,000 quite easily.
Maybe in years to come when there's proper infrastructure in place (undercover seating, proper toilet facilities, decent access, proper public transport to the venue, decent parking, the bypass is finished etc) then Kingston could be considered for holding a game but at the moment it's clearly not up to standard.
It amuses me that anyone is surprised at a poor turnout at this venue especially given the fact that heavy rain fell at the ground up to around an hour before the match started.

An own goal to the AFL itself. It shows even more starkly that they know SFA about this place. KTO is a good TSL facility. Dumb to expect a crowd to swarm down into the area thats not designed for a crowd or access.

Stupid. Again.

Good, the more grief AFLTas get over this issue the better. They caused it. (Not saying Burnie/Devonport didn't contribute a fair bit themselves to the mess).

NWC footy probably needs a summit to sort through all the issues. It doesn't really need lots of town based empire builders all after their own glory. But it needs the structure to cater for the players & communities both. The TSL should be a part of that for the players & developing stars that want/need it.

The junior 'pathway' should be easy for the kids to go as far as they want with their footy. Not needing a clearance to play TSL for instance.

I can remember several games in our time in the TSL where we played games in front of almost empty houses.
Glenorchy v Hobart at KGV pulled 73 paying spectators in heavy rain one day.
Hobart v Devonport at the TCA pulled 79, Hobart v Launceston one night at the TCA pulled 58 paying spectators.
Hobart v Clarence one windy night at the TCA pulled 72 paying spectators.
Can't make money and thrive under those circumstances and the travel costs just compounded the problem as nobody travels anymore.

We went to a VFL Devils game at Devonport. They had gales & sideways rain off the straight. Geez it was terrible. I doubt they had 60 at that game. It was a beast of a day. We were sodden & laughed about it. We huddled in the back of the stand & still copped it. Rum after was good!
A real rough Tassie footy day that one!!

Sad to see the TSL going down the toilet, but really there is only one organisation to blame. Unforntunatlly i have heard the phrase "Another Fxxxing Lie" being used to describe our managers of football in tas. they do not learn.
Brian Lane must be furious that they are trying to worm their way in to using the new ground to get a central team up and running. I was under the impression that AFL tas was behind getting the new oval up to a standard to host state games and alike, seeing they kicked in 30k i would be telling them to pull their heads in. Now they want to muscle in on the new facility's, just to rush a patch in for the sake of saving face. bloody hell its not rocket science, the whole of afl tas should be reviewed with the option for all positions to be up for renewal. Seeing the state government is kicking in 500k a year of tax payers money's There must be some accountability for the current state of affairs. I am of the opinion the CEO should be elected. If you want your car tuned up you go to a mechanic, hence if you want to run a business with success you employ an individual or a group of individuals that has the runs on the board. I.E. BoB Cheek for example. there would be many others that have good business sense with a grasp of what is required to to actually get this money wasting entity up to speed. While we all sook and im one we should be demanding that the state government get involved to at least see where our monies are actually being spent. There has been a lot of innuendo on what is being paid to employees etc which doesn't really matter IF they are doing the job and getting results, but alas They are not. So i would like to see some action rather than waiting of GILL to come and wave the magic wand where nothing will change except we will have the blessing of GILL & CO to continue to fail. With the state of affairs in our footy system one can see why soccer fed in tas are rubbing their hands together. Sad very Sad

Sad to see the TSL going down the toilet, but really there is only one organisation to blame. Unforntunatlly i have heard the phrase "Another Fxxxing Lie" being used to describe our managers of football in tas. they do not learn.
Brian Lane must be furious that they are trying to worm their way in to using the new ground to get a central team up and running. I was under the impression that AFL tas was behind getting the new oval up to a standard to host state games and alike, seeing they kicked in 30k i would be telling them to pull their heads in. Now they want to muscle in on the new facility's, just to rush a patch in for the sake of saving face. bloody hell its not rocket science, the whole of afl tas should be reviewed with the option for all positions to be up for renewal. Seeing the state government is kicking in 500k a year of tax payers money's There must be some accountability for the current state of affairs. I am of the opinion the CEO should be elected. If you want your car tuned up you go to a mechanic, hence if you want to run a business with success you employ an individual or a group of individuals that has the runs on the board. I.E. BoB Cheek for example. there would be many others that have good business sense with a grasp of what is required to to actually get this money wasting entity up to speed. While we all sook and im one we should be demanding that the state government get involved to at least see where our monies are actually being spent. There has been a lot of innuendo on what is being paid to employees etc which doesn't really matter IF they are doing the job and getting results, but alas They are not. So i would like to see some action rather than waiting of GILL to come and wave the magic wand where nothing will change except we will have the blessing of GILL & CO to continue to fail. With the state of affairs in our footy system one can see why soccer fed in tas are rubbing their hands together. Sad very Sad

It is sad. Its been so unnecessary for the the problems of TSL to get this far without address. Really dumb 'management'.

We actually had a Parliamentary investigation by Ivan Dean (Chair) in 2015. All piss & wind really. Our Government seems afraid of the AFL & Jeff Kennett.

Soccer Fed wouldnt want to say too much, their competition is a joke. No salary cap so the same clubs throw money around & others struggle. One NWC & 2 northern clubs just make it a pretend state league at best.

We do need some non AFL people helping run the TSL. At least we'd get some honesty, I hope. The AFL just dont care. Typical of an introverted & nepotistic organisation. The sycophants rule.

The big boys, appoint and pay the AFL tas girls/guys wages, so as to influence the Pathways for the staff and future players)
So do not expect anything other than 'Yes sir"
would you go against your own bosses wishes ??????

I hope "pathways" becomes the word of the year by Macquarie Dictionary :rolleyes::oops::eek::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big boys, appoint and pay the AFL tas girls/guys wages, so as to influence the Pathways for the staff and future players)
So do not expect anything other than 'Yes sir"
would you go against your own bosses wishes ??????

I hope "pathways" becomes the word of the year by Macquarie Dictionary :rolleyes::oops::eek::D

Along with 'Bloviating', used on another thread about AFL in Tassie, great word. ;)

We went to a VFL Devils game at Devonport. They had gales & sideways rain off the straight. Geez it was terrible. I doubt they had 60 at that game. It was a beast of a day. We were sodden & laughed about it. We huddled in the back of the stand & still copped it. Rum after was good!
A real rough Tassie footy day that one!!

Played that day, was against Werribee. Funny enough Garlick killed us in the wet. Ben Setchell was playing for Werribee that day and was awesome. Armstrong said nothing after the game but have a shower as everyone was shaking it was that cold.

Played that day, was against Werribee. Funny enough Garlick killed us in the wet. Ben Setchell was playing for Werribee that day and was awesome. Armstrong said nothing after the game but have a shower as everyone was shaking it was that cold.
I remember going to West Park in 1996 when we played the Dockers up there.
Went up on the Friday arvo to head to Devonport for another function and my god they had the biggest coastal storm all the way from Perth to Devonport.
Rain was hitting the windscreen at Hagley that hard it was like three or four firehoses were all being sprayed at us simultaneously!
Trees down all up the coast, went along to West Park the following day to hear the Colts got moved to Wivenhoe because West Park was flooded, saw the last three quarters of the Reserves and Hobart never kicked a goal, it was hailing, raining cats, dogs, chickens, elephants, apartment blocks, the lot.
Stood out on the roadside wing and there was a container ship that looked to be in trouble behind the stand out in Bass Strait, containers were all falling into each other and this giant ship was up and down like a yoyo.
Seniors start and old Errol Bourn handballs three behinds through for us in the first five minutes. Lucky because we only kicked five behinds all day.
Rain smashed it down til three quarter time when Burnie led 5.11 to 0.5 and then the sun came out and they went beserk and kicked 9.7 with a gale in the last quarter with Plapp kicking a bag. It was the first time a side went goalless in a TFL match since Clarence in 1958 at KGV.
Stood through seven quarters of footy and never saw us kick a single goal!

I remember going to West Park in 1996 when we played the Dockers up there.
Went up on the Friday arvo to head to Devonport for another function and my god they had the biggest coastal storm all the way from Perth to Devonport.
Rain was hitting the windscreen at Hagley that hard it was like three or four firehoses were all being sprayed at us simultaneously!
Trees down all up the coast, went along to West Park the following day to hear the Colts got moved to Wivenhoe because West Park was flooded, saw the last three quarters of the Reserves and Hobart never kicked a goal, it was hailing, raining cats, dogs, chickens, elephants, apartment blocks, the lot.
Stood out on the roadside wing and there was a container ship that looked to be in trouble behind the stand out in Bass Strait, containers were all falling into each other and this giant ship was up and down like a yoyo.
Seniors start and old Errol Bourn handballs three behinds through for us in the first five minutes. Lucky because we only kicked five behinds all day.
Rain smashed it down til three quarter time when Burnie led 5.11 to 0.5 and then the sun came out and they went beserk and kicked 9.7 with a gale in the last quarter with Plapp kicking a bag. It was the first time a side went goalless in a TFL match since Clarence in 1958 at KGV.
Stood through seven quarters of footy and never saw us kick a single goal!

Good grief!
Reminds me of a VFA game I saw in the early 1990's. Preston v Prahran game on a complete bog of a ground & the ball didn't move from a small spud patch near the flank for most of last qtr. May as well have been a rugby match! You couldn't tell the players apart. Most mud I'd ever seen. :)

Add the Huon grand final to the list. Was played at Cygnet between Kingston and Huonville. Snowing on the way down there, the ground was nearly a foot deep in mud. Kingston kicked a very early goal and nothing after that. At sure of exact final score, but Huonville 3 goals to Kingston 1 would be close.

PS Can anybody post any practice matches coming up shortly.

Add the Huon grand final to the list. Was played at Cygnet between Kingston and Huonville. Snowing on the way down there, the ground was nearly a foot deep in mud. Kingston kicked a very early goal and nothing after that. At sure of exact final score, but Huonville 3 goals to Kingston 1 would be close.

PS Can anybody post any practice matches coming up shortly.

Lauderdale v Lindersfarne March 10 @11am (The Tip)
Lauderdale v Clarence March 17 @10am (The Tip)

Yes 1992 HFA Grand Final!
That was an horrendous day, the same day Hobart and North Launceston fought out an 8-goal game in the Preliminary Final in probably the wettest, coldest conditions I've ever seen at North Hobart in all the time I've followed football.
Out of the eight goals kicked, six were from free kicks. I've never seen any ground in worse condition than what North Hobart was that day. ABC televised the match live and the crowd was the lowest at a Prelim Final in more than 70 years. Took me three days to thaw out!!

Does anyone know what is happening with Blair Rubock and the other mariners players that were from Burnie and Devonport? It would be terrible if the clubs withdrawing from TSL is negatively impacting them in the year they are trying to get drafted.
The boys from Burnie have been zoned to Launceston and the Devonport boys to North Launceston. I watched Blair play a bit last year and he is a real talent that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back