George Calombaris, arsehole

Remove this Banner Ad

Cancelling my private health Monday. Been paying $85 a month for 8 years and never made a claim. Tried to claim physio for the first time ever and they gave me 35% of the cost. Absolute racket

Lol. $85 a month and you're bitching about that? It's * all. Most decent family cover is north of $300.

Private health is invaluable for stuff like knee surgeries, bulging disc surgeries, shoulder recos, that sort of stuff. You have to wait months, even years for that in the public system, with private health you can get it done when ever you want and by whoever you want. The cost of these type of surgeries are generally greater than $10k when you factor it all in.

Also don't forget if you make decent money you get penalised (taxed) for not having it. They try to push people of means into it, which I would have thought all the lefties would approve of, but they're never happy it seems.

Dad just spent months in a private room in a the Austin on
Lol. $85 a month and you're bitching about that? It's fu** all. Most decent family cover is north of $300.

Private health is invaluable for stuff like knee surgeries, bulging disc surgeries, shoulder recos, that sort of stuff. You have to wait months, even years for that in the public system, with private health you can get it done when ever you want and by whoever you want. The cost of these type of surgeries are generally greater than $10k when you factor it all in.

Also don't forget if you make decent money you get penalised (taxed) for not having it. They try to push people of means into it, which I would have thought all the lefties would approve of, but they're never happy it seems.
Or you go to Malaysia and get it done

Lol. $85 a month and you're bitching about that? It's fu** all. Most decent family cover is north of $300.

A. Im not a leftie
B. Yes im complaining about it. Ive paid over $10K for ZERO benefit. Do they reward you for not claiming ever? No cost goes up every year. Rort

A. Im not a leftie
B. Yes im complaining about it. Ive paid over $10K for ZERO benefit. Do they reward you for not claiming ever? No cost goes up every year. Rort

Be happy you are healthy then. It's a far better outcome.

I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding on how insurance works too. Those who dont claim, the majority, or the lucky, subsidise those who do, the minority or the unlucky. Pay for life insurance and never claim? Good on you, you're alive. Pay for fire and theft but never claimed? Thank * you've never had some campaigner rummage through your stuff and steal your s**t, or worse have it all go up in smoke. This s**t happens to people, be glad it hasn't happened to you.... but have the peace of mind that you are taken care of if it does.

Be happy you are healthy then. It's a far better outcome.

I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding on how insurance works too. Those who dont claim, the majority, or the lucky, subsidise those who do, the minority or the unlucky. Pay for life insurance and never claim? Good on you, you're alive. Pay for fire and theft but never claimed? Thank fu** you've never had some campaigner rummage through your stuff and steal your s**t, or worse have it all go up in smoke. This s**t happens to people, be glad it hasn't happened to you.... but have the peace of mind that you are taken care of if it does.
If we paid for simply the unlucky, im all for helping. When obesedy is largely avoidable and smoking is a choice, less so.

My main issue with the scam of private health is I have paid well over $10K for it and the first thing I claim they only refund me $30 of a $70 bill. * them. Im done with it, it is a racket. The ridiculous fine print to ensure they barely cover anything is ****ed. The house of cards will fall soon

I dont have private health cover, never have. Do think about it every now and then that i should but still dont. Only time ive needed anything done has been through emergency anyway (busted bones etc). However getting older probably should look into it for when the body starts to break down (not 40 yet so prety sure it wont start breaking down just yet)

I dont have private health cover, never have. Do think about it every now and then that i should but still dont. Only time ive needed anything done has been through emergency anyway (busted bones etc). However getting older probably should look into it for when the body starts to break down (not 40 yet so prety sure it wont start breaking down just yet)

Came in handy for my wifes pregnancy, an extended hospital stay for my newborn daughter at 6 months and then not really claimed other than optical and dental for about 8-years, them the Mrs had a couple of issues sorted with surgery so choice of hospital and surgeon and no waiting list was worth the cost vs the angst

Mind you, with a lengthy history of heart disease and diabetes in my family, I'll no doubt be utilising benefits in the not too distant future myself

Never wasted a single dime on health or medical insurance....Death insurance is usually under-written in most super-plans....Have had to pay handsomely for the dentist at times though.

Medicare has served fine & will do so till the end.....Praise be to universal healthcare & Sir Gough Whitlam...One of the levy's I don't mind paying extra tax for.

If you're going to force Private Health Insurance on us, lower the tax we already pay. We're paying considerably more than people realize for our 'free' healthcare

If you're going to force Private Health Insurance on us, lower the tax we already pay. We're paying considerably more than people realize for our 'free' healthcare
If they got the Medicare ratio right you wouldnt need private health insurance and it would be cheaper.

A lot of otherwise unskilled people at Coles ("Nights and weekends in my 40s? Sign me up!") who wouldn't want to be seen rocking the boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George can EABD for all I care and as a Victory supporter I have never liked the smarmy git but I think he has been made somewhat of a scapegoat in all this. What he really knew about all the financials is unknown, I wouldn't think he'd be anywhere near the timesheets of any employee but because of the way he acted post being found out is probably what has sealed his fate.

We're told that to remain competitive we have to cut company tax rates and get rid of penalty rates and yet still these companies feel the need to steal from their staff.

Austerity measures 'Daaah-link' (Zsa Zsa Gabor accent); So the rich old fuddy-duds can maintain their port-folios, including their off-shore trust-funds....One good turn deserves another.

The reverse Robin-Hood principle.....It's all the rage.

Last edited:
If they got the Medicare ratio right you wouldnt need private health insurance and it would be cheaper.

A family earning $200k a year, pay $5,000 in Medicare benefit and are probably paying roughly $4000 in Private Health. They'd only use the public system in case of an emergency, otherwise they are paying their own way and not putting burden on the public system.

Somebody earning $50k with no private health pays $1250 and would use the public system for everything.

Why do lefties always argue the poor are getting a raw deal? They get a great deal in comparison to their contribution.

A family earning $200k a year, pay $5,000 in Medicare benefit and are probably paying roughly $4000 in Private Health. They'd only use the public system in case of an emergency, otherwise they are paying their own way and not putting burden on the public system.

Somebody earning $50k with no private health pays $1250 and would use the public system for everything.

Why do lefties always argue the poor are getting a raw deal? They get a great deal in comparison to their contribution.
The $4000 is their choice
If the medicare levy was slightly higher they would have a better system and not feel the need to go private and save money

WTF how did Coles manage to fu** up? Don't they have SDA agreements for everything?

Coles hasnt '****ed up', they deliberately cheated - as with the hospitality industry it was all thought through and executed. But now every business/company who has been deliberately dodgy is getting caught red handed. Rinse and repeat for a lot more companies to come yet.

OTR in Adelaide have to be next to be caught. Put all their junior staff on traineeships to A) pay them less and B) got them a government rebate for hiring trainees. They ripped off 100's of people apparently (I don't know anyone in person who's worked there to confirm) but they had quite the scam going by the sounds. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back