Universal Love Getting around Reece. [UPDATE: REECE RETIRES]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that important whether he plays for us again or not. Would be great if he does but the main thing is that he gets himself to a place where he's happy and comfortable in his own skin.

Good luck Reece. You seem like a ripping young man. I hope you get to see that. The Tiger army is behind you.

The kid I believe had these issues before the draft. We took a punt with a late pick, but it seems his issues need more time. A professional football club is probably not where he should be trying to work through those issues.
We should support him through our commitment and wish him well with his future.
Maybe in a few years he might be well enough to have another crack at professional football.
Happy to be slapped down by those that feel I'm being too harsh.

If he still wants to play and feels like being part of the club is beneficial to him we should absolutely stick by him, perhaps delist and re-rookie to take further pressure off him. We don't really lose anything in this situation, he was always going to be a long term player regardless.

If he decides he needs to be away from footy i'd expect the club to be fully behind him and continue to support him, most important thing is that he sorts out what is going on, as others have said they have been underlying issues for some time. Ripper kid, whatever happens I'm sure he will have everyone's full support.

The kid I believe had these issues before the draft. We took a punt with a late pick, but it seems his issues need more time. A professional football club is probably not where he should be trying to work through those issues.
We should support him through our commitment and wish him well with his future.
Maybe in a few years he might be well enough to have another crack at professional football.
Happy to be slapped down by those that feel I'm being too harsh.
your not being too harsh. But i feel like at a footy club he actually stands a chance with how well-resourced and networked they are into helping him and as most teams (if they arent full of D/Hs) are all good mates with each other

your not being too harsh. But i feel like at a footy club he actually stands a chance with how well-resourced and networked they are into helping him and as most teams (if they arent full of D/Hs) are all good mates with each other
No doubt. My point is though, and the harsh bit, we are not a charity.
Happy to fulfil our contract, but then I think we will need to wish him well for his future. He won't get the 5-6 year 'talls take time' contract imo. (when will Elton be ready?)

No doubt. My point is though, and the harsh bit, we are not a charity.
Happy to fulfil our contract, but then I think we will need to wish him well for his future. He won't get the 5-6 year 'talls take time' contract imo. (when will Elton be ready?)
guess its just a matter of how much "potential" he has, and even more importantly what is in his best interests. Would not be surprised if he "retired" at the end of this year like Mitch did and then come back a few years later

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.

People will probably judge me for posting on here because 'I'm a footballer and your not supposed to do that' but this is really the only place i know of where i can say thank you to everyone who has written such lovely words of support to me in recent times, i would do it on twitter but it has a character limit and i feel like doing it this way is more personal as it is the least i can do for all supporting messages i have read. The last two years for me have been really difficult, i don't want to go into specifics because i don't want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where i have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there, i don't drink or do drugs thankfully so i am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues i have and the effect they have on me. It's only just recently as well that i realized i suffer some heavy anxiety (amazing to think but sometimes it is hard to put on finger on things especially in the grand scheme of mental health) it started off as little things like afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general and then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that i received during that time as that is also another thing that i struggle with. I'm going to try and not saying anything here that will get me into trouble because i know that this will be seen by people at Richmond and i am still a contracted player at Richmond so i will respect that. I love footy i really do, i love watching, listening, playing and just knowing that we have a sport that is so special and so unique that it requires such a particular combination of physical and skill attributes that does not even remotely come close to any other sport (except Galic footy and rugby a little bit) i wanna be successful and i wanna be the best, that has always been my dream but dreams are just that they are dreams they are not reality, in your dreams you do not plan for depression or anxiety or any of the crap that knocks you down or holds you back but reality is s**t happens and that sucks but Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry for the clique) nor did any successful athlete not suffer a serious setback at one stage in his career and consider just throwing in the towel because it was too hard. Will i be playing football this year? I don't know, Be i do know that no matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious i get, i will not give up until i can be the best footballer i possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that i want more.

Thank you Richmond Supporters, i know you may not think it and i must admit i lol'd when reading a message that started with 'Reece if you are reading this' but i do see your messages and i do cherish them, you are some of the most passionate supporters i have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who i am still humbles me especially when they remember my number which is amazing because i barracked for Carlton since i was born and i only knew 30 at most players (and i was a die hard (i am sorry but i do love Richmond as well <3) If you do see me around (even though i will look pretty anxious) don't be afraid to give me a hug as you'll find majority of the time i will probably be more nervous then you. I'm happy to talk more with you guys if you'd like even if there is a stigma associated with sporting forums because i am a human at the end of the day and i love football just as much as you guys do.
Thanks Reece for your testimony although you didn't need to do it for us. I think we all understand the sensitivity of your situation, but not actually what you are going through and the issues you're faced with .So I admire your courage and maturity for telling us and I love you for putting it into perspective for me.
My family and self would personally like to wish you a fast and painless recovery as this is most important to you as you still have a lifetime ahead of you
God Bless your soul
Tigerimposter

From someone's whose suffered pretty bad anxiety for the past 8 years, I know just how torturing it can be!

You're an absolute champ Reece, do what you must to get better.

Just remember, when a panic attack hits, count your breaths and remind yourself that although it's scary, you're physically fine and you can overcome that horrid moment.

What a big hearted bloke you are! I hope you can succeed, but mostly I hope you can find a way to be content and healthy without worrying about what others think. I wish you well, big man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate chin up and know above all else we just want you to be happy . Small steps, life is never easy and you make of it what you will. I went through a really rough patch for several years going through the kind of things you mention. Know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, others have suffered as you do and come through it.

The thing i found the hardest was talking to people about it, once you've recognised the problem and are happy to discuss it with the people you love you need to continue doing so as it is the way to get past it all.

Much respect brother, would love to see you out on the field kicking bags, but would be more happy you just got yourself right and are happy in yourself.

Well done mate. Great to see you're looking after yourself. I've suffered from anxiety for a few years. As well as medication, meditation is great. There's a great app called Headspace which provides guided meditation. Give that a crack (if you haven't already) :):thumbsu:

Hey Reece, just wanted to say a quick reply to this post

When you were first drafted mate, I was pretty excited about your highlights package, and on this forum I christened you "The Mack Truck", because you looked like you had all the goods to be bulldozing through the opposition in no time, and being a massive part of the future of our forward line!

And I can honestly say that nothing about your recent circumstances makes me think that I was wrong about making that prediction. As a 26 year old RFC supporter who's apart of your generation (I'm not an oldie like alot of these blokes on here haha :p), I honestly believe that you've still got what it takes to make things work for yourself, and also within the club too.

I've seen some of your work at lower levels of footy, and you've got all the ability in the world (especially your ability to take a mark mate, it's phenomenal :thumbsu:)

However, at the end of the day, your health, future, and overall well-being is far more important than any game of footy will ever be, and the most important thing for you to do is get yourself 100% well before even thinking about getting back into things in a serious way.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum when I say, that if you never end up debuting for the RFC, but are able to overcome these complicated issues and have an enjoyable life moving forward, absolutely nobody would begrudge you of that. and we'd be all be stoked that you made a full recovery.

For me personally mate, I have full confidence that you're going to get through this, because even though I don't know you personally, you've always come off as a pretty down-to-earth and genuine bloke in the little that I have seen.

Get yourself better soon mate, and hopefully one day you'll be able to look back and say with pride "I conquered this"... and as a bonus, hopefully that day comes while you're still in the Yellow & Black, and kicking 60 goals a year for us like a Mack Truck! :D

What courage you have shown to hop on to a public forum like this and open up....
Shows you have far more strength than you probably realise.
Being part of the broader Tiger family also means you are never, ever alone.
Hugs from me mate.

Wishing you all the best Reece. :thumbsu: Hoping to see you around soon, will definitely take you up on that hug offer if I see you around the place :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back