Getting healthy, after some tips.

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically, I at one stage had hit about 113 and I was probably 5'9. Over the past couple of months I had dropped down to about 108-110, varying quite often. Over the years I have attempted to lose the weight and always lasted a week or two and given up. I decided that I had to fix my lifestyle as I was living off the following basically every day:
Breakfast: Coffee.
Mid-morning: Two pre-packaged bars of something from woolies or coles - just your general like chocolate and honeycomb bars or something similar.
Lunch: A sandwich and a chocolate bar, or packet of shapes, etc.
Dinner: Spaghetti, salad and steak, just sorter every day dinners.
Post-dinner: Bag of lollies and maybe a chocolate bar.

While doing this I was doing next to no exercise as well.

I've somewhat fixed my diet and have the following:
Breakfast: Hot drink (50 calories per serving) and 5 slices of short-cut bacon (250 calories)
Lunch: Mango (250 calories) OR Strawberries (80 calories)
Dinner: Steak (300 odd calories) and salad (100 I would guess? lettuce, cheese, avocado, carrot, cucumber generally)
2 750ml bottles of water, minimum.

So at the new diet I managed to drop roughly 7-8 kilos in the last month.. not really exercising apart from packing to move house and weighed in at 102 this morning at 6 foot roughly. For those who may know why, the past four days I have weighed in at 102, within 100 grams anyway. Have I hit a plateau?

I will be going to the gym the moment I have moved as I am really feeling motivated to change my life style. I was wondering if anyone knows what a good set-plan for the gym would be? I have no idea now as I know I used to have to do Cardio for a long time, which really put me off the gym. Now that I am very motivated I might be more inclined to do it, or do I need to focus on weight more? I mainly want to cut and make it muscle, but I understand you have to lose weight first to do that.

Thanks!

Last edited:
So basically, I at one stage had hit about 113 and I was probably 5'9. Over the past couple of months I had dropped down to about 108-110, varying quite often. Over the years I have attempted to lose the weight and always lasted a week or two and given up. I decided that I had to fix my lifestyle as I was living off the following basically every day:
Mid-morning: Two pre-packaged bars of something from woolies or coles - just your general like chocolate and honeycomb bars or something similar.

Breakfast: Hot drink (50 calories per serving) and 5 slices of short-cut bacon (250 calories)
Dinner: Steak (300 odd calories) and salad (100 I would guess? lettuce, cheese, avocado, carrot, cucumber generally)

So at the new diet I managed to drop roughly 7-8 kilos in the last month.. not really exercising apart from packing to move house and weighed in at 102 this morning at 6 foot roughly. For those who may know why, the past four days I have weighed in at 102, within 100 grams anyway. Have I hit a plateau?

I will be going to the gym the moment I have moved as I am really feeling motivated to change my life style. I was wondering if anyone knows what a good set-plan for the gym would be? I have no idea now as I know I used to have to do Cardio for a long time, which really put me off the gym. Now that I am very motivated I might be more inclined to do it, or do I need to focus on weight more? I mainly want to bulk, but I understand you have to lose weight first to do that.

Thanks!

You'll find all the answers in all the different threads.

I will be going to the gym the moment I have moved as I am really feeling motivated to change my life style. I was wondering if anyone knows what a good set-plan for the gym would be? I have no idea now as I know I used to have to do Cardio for a long time, which really put me off the gym. Now that I am very motivated I might be more inclined to do it, or do I need to focus on weight more? I mainly want to cut and make it muscle, but I understand you have to lose weight first to do that.

Thanks!

As ablett said read through this forum, plenty of others in a similar situation to yourself. Plenty of different views on here but a lot of good info.

As for weight loss, it isn't linear you will have days and weeks were the weight drops off and other times it will stall. Main thing is to keep persisting if you do stall, to often people have setback, the weight doesn't come off or the have a bad meal, miss training and go stuff this and give up.

In regards to gym, start of with something simple 3 day split full bodywork out each exercise, 3 sets x 8 -12 reps;

Squats
Deadlifts
Benchpress
Back - barbell row
Shoulders - dumbbell overhead press
Tricep - skull crushers
Bicep - barbell curl
finish of with some chin ups, push ups and dips

Cardio mix up between walking 30-40 mins, could time of year to go for a walk with the sun out and daylight savings. Or do some HITT (high intesnity interval training) Go to a footy oval sprint for 20 seconds rest for 60 seconds, do this 6-8 times. As you get fitter you need to minimise the rest time and up the amount of reps. Or do 6-8 hill sprints, around 30-50m, steeper the better.

As for diet, you need to get more protein in your diet, and i would say the amount of calories you are consuming is to low. This is probably why you have stalled with your weight loss, from your quick what you have listed and allow for some margin in error you aren't eating more than 1200 calories a day which is way to low. You want to lose as much weight as you can on as many calories as you can. Also you want to be losing body fat, not muscle. There will be some muscle loss, but you want to minimise it. To low calories and in particular protein levels will cause muscle loss as well as fat loss.

As ablett said read through this forum, plenty of others in a similar situation to yourself. Plenty of different views on here but a lot of good info.

As for weight loss, it isn't linear you will have days and weeks were the weight drops off and other times it will stall. Main thing is to keep persisting if you do stall, to often people have setback, the weight doesn't come off or the have a bad meal, miss training and go stuff this and give up.

In regards to gym, start of with something simple 3 day split full bodywork out each exercise, 3 sets x 8 -12 reps;

Squats
Deadlifts
Benchpress
Back - barbell row
Shoulders - dumbbell overhead press
Tricep - skull crushers
Bicep - barbell curl
finish of with some chin ups, push ups and dips

Cardio mix up between walking 30-40 mins, could time of year to go for a walk with the sun out and daylight savings. Or do some HITT (high intesnity interval training) Go to a footy oval sprint for 20 seconds rest for 60 seconds, do this 6-8 times. As you get fitter you need to minimise the rest time and up the amount of reps. Or do 6-8 hill sprints, around 30-50m, steeper the better.

As for diet, you need to get more protein in your diet, and i would say the amount of calories you are consuming is to low. This is probably why you have stalled with your weight loss, from your quick what you have listed and allow for some margin in error you aren't eating more than 1200 calories a day which is way to low. You want to lose as much weight as you can on as many calories as you can. Also you want to be losing body fat, not muscle. There will be some muscle loss, but you want to minimise it. To low calories and in particular protein levels will cause muscle loss as well as fat loss.
That is great! Thanks heaps i'll look into it!! :)

Protein is your friend; Lean meats (chicken, fish, tuna), eggs
Fruit & Veg; also very good
Drink as much water as you want
Complex Carbs are good; sweat potato, brown rice, oats.

Try have as little dairy as possible; milk, cheese, yogurt.
Also steer clear of bread, potatoes, processed foods.

How many days a week are you planning on going gym?

That breakfast is terrible, you aren't going to have much energy going into the day eating that kind of breakfast.

Breakfast is the best time to be eating GOOD carbs & also lean protein.

Protein is your friend; Lean meats (chicken, fish, tuna), eggs
Fruit & Veg; also very good
Drink as much water as you want
Complex Carbs are good; sweat potato, brown rice, oats.

Try have as little dairy as possible; milk, cheese, yogurt.
Also steer clear of bread, potatoes, processed foods.

How many days a week are you planning on going gym?

That breakfast is terrible, you aren't going to have much energy going into the day eating that kind of breakfast.

Breakfast is the best time to be eating GOOD carbs & also lean protein.
I hit 97.9 this morning just for an update, still eating the same.

I can't eat any poultry so it does me in a bit as I can't have chicken, turkey, duck, eggs, etc as I will spew.. just got an intolerance I guess.

Will be planning on every week day, and possibly one day on the weekend.

Yeah, I have been getting really bad tunnel vision, could that be because of that?

Will be planning on every week day, and possibly one day on the weekend.

Yeah, I have been getting really bad tunnel vision, could that be because of that?

Good work on the weight loss so far.

I would be eating carbs in the morning, Oats are your friend.

If you are training you will burn the carbs off anyway.

Do you like tuna, good snack and full of protein... Unfortunately I cant eat it, the smell turns me off but I would highly recommend it to anyone that can.

tumblr_n87wskjEPr1sryonyo1_500.jpg

Do you like tuna, good snack and full of protein... Unfortunately I cant eat it, the smell turns me off but I would highly recommend it to anyone that can.

Used to give me major indigestion, I can eat fish though. I had tuna cakes a few weeks ago and was fine, so i'll give it another go.

Broscience is strong in that pic. Intermittent fasting proves breakfast being the most important meal of the day as a myth.

lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back