Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At first I was super angry, but now I'm ok with this.

We have a lot of good rookies who have only played a handful of games (Doedee (0), Jarman (0), Gooch (1), Keath (7)). Trading those 2017 trade picks allows us to play these talented kids and decreases the chances of them leaving (i.e. homesickness, etc). Fogarty would have been nice, but glad we kept the 2018 picks for the super draft.

I dont think we'll be in premiership contention (Lever and Smith are huge outs), but at least we'll be competitive.

I honestly think we will still be in the mix.

Bryce Gibbs is a good pickup.

McGovern, B Crouch, Greenwood, Kelly, Knight could all improve with more game time.

Seed covers Smithers', although not as good.

Gibbs can also fill that role if needed.

Gooch or Hampton could just about cover Charlie.
And we have Doedee, Keath, and Cheney who could fill Levers spot.

The only area that I can see us going a bit backwards is Levers, and Smithers spots, but with good improvement elsewhere.

My gut feel is that there were 3 reasons why we were prepared to trade this year - 1) we finished top and made the GF, 2) Brodie Smith did a knee and 3) it was discovered that Sloane struggled with a genuine tag. With Gibbs replacing a bit of Smith and doing some midfield work, I'm guessing the club see us a genuine crack at the flag. Last year elevating ourselves from 6th was too risky in terms of any form of over-payment. This year, they're prepared to punt on playing on the last day of September again. We've got plenty of draft picks for next year, so it's not like we're mortgaging our future.

Generally I've been against over-paying, but now that it's done, I'm strangely comfortable with what went down.

If we did the Gibbs deal last year for 2 firsts, what would we have lost? As far as players/picks we've picked up since.

It's possible we just rated what we wanted to do last year higher than getting Gibbs at the price, we still had Smith in the team at that point as well.

I suppose Gibbs is now more valuable because of our GF fail, the loss of Smith etc.

Last edited:
I was one that was not super excited to get him. The trade was not great, but not too bad. Could have been worse.

Now that he is a Crow I am looking forward to seeing how he, the Crouch boys and Sloane go in the middle with Greenwood and Dougie quite capable fifth and sixth men.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

First glance it looks like a reaming, can't see a pick 10 or 16 making a huge difference to our side in 2018, I don't think people realize how good Gibbs will be in our midfield. I'd take a flag at ANY cost.

This is excellent.
May have paid high, but why should we worry? What else were we going to do with those high picks? Any good player drafted would immediately be a want-away (sorry "homesick" lol), because there would be no room in our premiership-window side. Why should we continue to develop young players for the VFL clubs that don't know how to develop their own?
Strengthens the area that needed it, gives hope to our current depth players, and we still have a good run at the 2018 draft. Top result for the AFC.

As for the posters that obscenely, obscurely, obstinately still want Adelaide to Start Over With New Fresh Players... grow up, grow some balls, or go elsewhere. Melbourne or Carlton are re-building, should be a good fit for you. Strewth, talk about confirmation bias, this board still has some very strange cliques.

Plough saying pick 5 lever vs 6 Gibbs doesn't sound right

maybe he should factor in the 4x 750-850k contract that melbourne is paying lever?

depending on how our contract with gibbs is structured he is reportedly offered around 600k with a +2years on his existing contract terms.

Its certainly a win for Gibbs, as Carlton front loaded his first 2 years, and so effectively Carlton has paid that Free agency premium for us!

Via Hurling People Now:

"The pick swaps have dragged this trade just into the ranges of fairish value. Giving up two first rounders hurts when said without context, but in reality Adelaide are giving up one mid-first rounder and a very late first rounder. On the other side, Carlton’s 2018 second rounder might be a top 20 pick, and is predicted to be nearly as valuable as pick 16. The same applies to the Adelaide 2018 2nd rounder against the Carlton 2018 3rd rounder – Adelaide are good, Carlton are bad, so those picks will probably occur pretty close together.

This is before we factor in that the 2018 draft is meant to be stronger than the 2017 draft according to the observers who know these things.

The swaps reduce the trade to being roughly “Bryce Gibbs for pick 10″ – a steep price for an ageing footballer, but less outrageous than “two first round picks”. Gibbs is at the peak of his powers, and brings something to the table that the Crows don’t have a lot of. "
http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=24072

IMO this is an added cost to Brodie Smith's injury.

We have no one who can really do what Smithers does at the level Smithers does it - Seeds is a second banana. We saw how badly our structure was hit in the GF without Guv and Smithers - and we known how badly we have performed in the past when Smith has been out with an injury.

If Smith is not injured, I doubt we even bother. But we absolutely needed to fill that gap.

Now the big thing is Milera, Doedee, Gallucci and Polholke need to step up.

Sure we might get a pick from Brisbane for CC but it is unlikely to be a player in 2018. Time for the past 2 years of draft picks to go to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gibbs trade agreement should have included a mandatory bun cut.
Overall, effectively pick 10 pick and a slight downgrade in pick 16 to 20, for Gibbs. I think this is a fair deal. A ready made gun who can help advance our midfield strength deserves a top round pick and a little extra. Excited to see him run out in a Crows jumper!
Also in the past, Carlton have traded to us good players who turn into great ones once establishing themselves in the Crows team - Bond, Massie, Sauce, Betts. If Gibbs can improve that 5-10%, then we will be stepping forward, not backwards, for 2018!

maybe he should factor in the 4x 750-850k contract that melbourne is paying lever?

depending on how our contract with gibbs is structured he is reportedly offered around 600k with a +2years on his existing contract terms.

Its certainly a win for Gibbs, as Carlton front loaded his first 2 years, and so effectively Carlton has paid that Free agency premium for us!

Let's not be ignorant here. There's a very high likelihood that we've bumped up his pay packet for the next few seasons.

Wow did not think that would get done.
Great for the short term, hopefully he has at least 3-4 seasons left in him.
Don’t think we paid too much, with a weaker draft this year and us looking at Edwards and upgrading Greenwood, Keath etc.
The draft next year is where we want to load up on the SA talent so while giving up two 1 rounders sounds like excessive, time will show hopefully that the drafting team know what they are doing.

Why the hell not?

I think we should demand 12 for cameron but i dont think brisbane would be smart to pay it. If you cant see the difference i dont even know what to say.

So you are getting angry about things even though you completely understand why they are happening? You are silly mate.

Let's not be ignorant here. There's a very high likelihood that we've bumped up his pay packet for the next few seasons.

not from what i have been reading. most reports have it at 650k with an extra +2 years as the deal sweetener. Carlton have front loaded his contract, so its a bit rich for him to have his cake and eat it too?

do you have a sauce? for the pay packet bump?

Of course its easy to sit back and say Gibbs will improve us, hell so would a lot of players, but its the price we pay which will be felt in the years ahead.

If we dont win the flag next year or 2019.............
it might...BUT..next year we have 2 1st round picks and a probable very high (almost end of 1st round) 2nd round pick assuming Carlton stay low on the ladder - that is 3 pretty good players we can bring in in a super draft year. This is the one year we leave the draft to go for experience and that won't kill us long term

Back