Gillon McLachlan says clubs protecting players means State of Origin won’t return

Should the AFL bring back State of Origin?

• Yes

Votes: 106 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 93 46.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see why the other reasons are valid but the injury excuse is just stupid. Players can injured anytime, anywhere. A player can injured in JLT, or in in the first minute of a game or even in training. It's just bad luck either way

All of which are part of the process of a season for points.

Far different to a meaningless game for no purpose.

It's problem in 2017 is its relevance.
I presume the majority of us grew up with SOO in the fixture.
A new generation hasn't.

If it were to come back, we'd have the same problems as we did in its last couple of years.
Club doctors inventing injuries and clubs pressuring players to withdraw.
I think a new problem would also be what destroyed the NBA all star game this year, (players not trying in defence).

Great idea. I'd prefer to see the best player in the comp, let's say Dangerfield or Buddy, get a paper cut over an ACL or a hammy tear.

Constantly using the worst case scenario argument isn't good, as using that no one would ever fly, drive, eat anything with peanuts, swim, run, dance or do anything really, as the worst case scenario could result in death.

Give it one chance I reckon.

Firstly, ditch any idea if it being played between January and September. Players won't take part.

Ditch the wank that is international rules.

Plan one game for October. The AFL spends all of October and November trying to constantly be all over the news anyway, with the nonstop attempts to talk up trade rumours which are never going to happen. Might as well have a game.

Maybe late October. Merge it with the draft for a footy-ish weekend.

Survey the players properly at the end of this year. If 75%+ say yes, it's on. If not, it's not. Only survey players aged 22+ as they'll be the majority of those playing anyway and have some experience with the annual AFL schedule.

If so, then WA vs Vic at the new Perth Stadium in 2018. Best possible game to give it the best possible chance.

100% of ticket revenue to charity.

Play it every second year. The winner of the game hosts South Australia in 2020. The loser misses out in 2020 and it continues thus... winner retains the hosting slot two years later against the third team, the loser misses out next time. Each state will then play max every two years, minimum every four years.

Tell the players it's on constant notice... if they start skipping the game because they'd rather be dropping pingas in a Munich nightclub or gangbanging chicks on a Thailand beach then ok, the concept will be dead.

Sink or swim

Without the fans there is no league. * the clubs - AFL should tell them it's happening and if your player gets injured tough luck.

The question of when - Take a week off between prelim and grand final and have SOO in that weekend for all players excluding the represented clubs in the grand final like they do with the NFL

much prefer International Rules to SOO. Would like to see more of that before SOO returns. I think they should schedule SOO once every 5 years and lock it in as that... then it stays novel and has a place.. but as annual event. No need. Our club competition is too strong and vibrant to make it worthwhile and our game is already national: theres no real need for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Daniel Kerr doing his calf in a representative match, was it VIC v All Stars, and it was the start of the ending for him.. That's what I think killed the concept

The concept had been killed long before that.

Mick Malthouse was a big reason for that. He kept pulling star eagles out at the last minute, which is somewhat understandable since at the time they were contributing a disproportionate amount compared to other clubs.

Why even give the clubs a choice? Injuries suck but they can happen anywhere. Soccer clubs don't whinge and cry when their players go and perform in the World Cup. The spectacle and event is seen as worth the risk. If the players, AFL, and fans demand it then stuff the clubs, they can suck it up. If you must cater towards the clubs put in a rule that says only 3 or 4 players can be selected per club

AFL fans are so insular. I mean every other major sport in the entire world has representative football. I mean Manchester United pay a lot of their players more in one week than most people earn in 2 years and they still let their players play international football, in matches where those players could in theory be injured.

Then why is it okay for Machester United to hand over their players for representative football but not Richmond?

Australia's states are not countries.

The question of when - Take a week off between prelim and grand final and have SOO in that weekend for all players excluding the represented clubs in the grand final

So State of Origin without all the players who were good enough to make it to the Grand Final? That'd be a hit...

I'm glad you see why your comparison is flawed.

So we shouldn't play SOO because our states are all part of the same country?

Not really the point of what I was saying.

If it replaces jlt or international rules the it's just a hit and giggle game.

If it's added to the fixture it will be to tempting to have an extra break for players in contending teams.

So then it has to replace a round of real footy and stuff that.

Last edited:
Australia's states are not countries.

So State of Origin without all the players who were good enough to make it to the Grand Final? That'd be a hit...
Look at the AA team. Even the grand final teams are only represented by a couple of players in there. That's the point of the salary cap

Without the fans there is no league. **** the clubs - AFL should tell them it's happening and if your player gets injured tough luck.

The question of when - Take a week off between prelim and grand final and have SOO in that weekend for all players excluding the represented clubs in the grand final like they do with the NFL

It's not about the clubs.

It's up to the players. During the season they'd prefer a week off. After the season gets prefer to be on holidays.

It's the players call.

Back