5. Longwarry
6. Neerim Neerim Sth
7. Nilma Darnum
8. Poowong
9. Yarragon
10. Nyora
11. Trafalgar
12. Hill End

West Gippsland Football Netball League Div 1.

1. Bunyip
2. Dalyston
3. Garfield
4. Kilcunda Bass
5. Koo Wee Rup
6. Korumburra Bena
7. Nar Nar Goon
8. Warragul Industrials
9. Tooradin-Dalmore
10. Inverloch Kongwak
11. Tarwin
12. Toora

North Gippsland Football League

1. Churchill
2. Cowwarr
3. Glengarry
4. Gormandale** (risk of fold)
5. Heyfield
6. Rosedale
7. Sale City
8. Traralgon Tyers Utd
9. Yarram
10. Woodside
11. Yallourn Yallourn North
12. DWWWW

Mid Gippsland Football Netball League

1. Boolarra
2. Mirboo North
3. Morwell East
4. Newborough
5. Thorpdale
6. Yinnar
7. Fish Creek
8. Foster
9. Meeniyan Dumbalk Utd

10. Stony Creek

I had a crack at a possible solution. I feel this works well, leagues can definitely work with 12 teams and remain healthy and it sets them up for the future.

Good effort. Happy with 1 & 2. In 3 swap tarwin & toora for fish creek & foster bit stronger less travel i think. In 4 dwww wont get up mor east in there. If dwww get up good & into mid gippy with tarwin & toora

Keep Mid Gippsland, North Gippsland and Ellinbank the same. Send back dalyston and kilcunda bass to Alberton and Gippsland footy is not in crisis, you then have 5 functioning leagues that can survive.

Gippsland League
Bairnsdale, Cora Lynn, Drouin, Leongatha, Maffra, Moe, Morwell, Phillip Island, Sale, Traralgon, Warragul, Wonthaggi.

In: Cora Lynn and Phillip Island (both WGFNC)
Out: Nil

Ellinbank & District Football Netball League
Buln Buln, Catani, Ellinbank, Hill End, Lang Lang, Longwarry, Neerim Neerim South, Nilma Darnum, Nyora, Poowong, Trafalgar, Yarragon

In: Hill End and Trafalgar (both MGFL)
Out: Nil

West Gippsland Football Netball League
Bunyip, Dalyston, Fish Creek, Foster, Garfield, Inverloch Kongwak, Kilcunda Bass, Koo Wee Rup, Korumburra Bena, Nar Nar Goon, Tooradin Dalmore, Warragul Industrials.

In: Fish Creek and Foster (Alberton)
Out: Cora Lynn and Phillip Island (both GL)

North Gippsland
Churchill, Cowwarr, Glengarry, Gormandale, Heyfield, Rosedale, Sale City, Traralgon Tyers Utd, Woodside, Yarram

No change.
*** If Gormandale went into recess, then I would add YYN from the MGFL to give both the MGFL and NGFNL 10 teams each.

Mid Gippsland
Boolara, MDU, Mirboo North, Morwell East, Newborough, Stony Creek, Tarwin, Thorpdale, Toora, Yallourn Yallourn North, Yinnar

In: MDU, Stony Creek, Tarwin, Toora (all Alberton)
Out: Hill End, Trafalgar (EDFL)

Interesting article:

As per article:
The multi-regional concept…
Premier South East‘ – Beaconsfield, Cranbourne, Inverloch Kongwak, Narre Warren, Officer, Pakenham, Phillip Island, Wonthaggi.
West Gippsland‘ – Bunyip, Cora Lynn, Fish Creek, Garfield, Kooweerup, Nar Nar Goon, Tooradin-Dalmore, Warragul Industrials.
South Gippsland‘ – Dalyston, Foster, Kilcunda Bass, Korumburra-Bena, Meeniyan Dumbalk United, Stony Creek, Tarwin, Toora.

Interesting article:

As per article:
The multi-regional concept…
Premier South East‘ – Beaconsfield, Cranbourne, Inverloch Kongwak, Narre Warren, Officer, Pakenham, Phillip Island, Wonthaggi.
West Gippsland‘ – Bunyip, Cora Lynn, Fish Creek, Garfield, Kooweerup, Nar Nar Goon, Tooradin-Dalmore, Warragul Industrials.
South Gippsland‘ – Dalyston, Foster, Kilcunda Bass, Korumburra-Bena, Meeniyan Dumbalk United, Stony Creek, Tarwin, Toora.

Korumburra-Bena had to work very hard to get into the WGFNC to play against the best clubs in the region instead of Alberton, where they were proposed to play when the first plan came out in 2016. But that would leave Kilcunda Bass the best part of an hour away from their nearest opponents.

Interesting. There has always been an historical aversion by administrators to split what is now the Gippsland League as they see it as the premier competition in the region.

What we see here, having divided Gippsland football into two, are two decent and well-balanced structures, which keep a lot of their character. It solves the Alberton issue without massive heartache travel and standard wise, allows Wonthaggi to come back west without decimating the competition as they did in the Alberton after the demise of the BVWDFL and the two town clubs became the Power. If there was no compulsion to promote or relegate clubs unless necessary, then the West Gippsland could well succeed.

The Gippsland side of the ledger also looks fine. The stronger clubs from outside the GL won't be out of their depth in the Premier Division and the composition of Division 2 doesn't seem to have a club that would be a superpower a la Wonthaggi in their Alberton era. You could envisage promotion-relegation in this competition.

If I were you, I'd be emailing this to AFL Gippsland. Hopefully they would give it some consideration.

Two tiered leagues don't work in country footy with relegation.

The eastern clubs in the gippy league use the selling point of having drouin and warragul as less travel for potential recruits and retaining local players who move away for work/uni. The key would be to add potentially inverloch and Phillip island into the gippy league due to their population growth and then distribute the Alberton clubs to mid and north gippy.

The question has to be asked why are wonthaggi so poor? They are a growing town, and how come drouin can't get a thirds team?

Interesting. There has always been an historical aversion by administrators to split what is now the Gippsland League as they see it as the premier competition in the region.

What we see here, having divided Gippsland football into two, are two decent and well-balanced structures, which keep a lot of their character. It solves the Alberton issue without massive heartache travel and standard wise, allows Wonthaggi to come back west without decimating the competition as they did in the Alberton after the demise of the BVWDFL and the two town clubs became the Power. If there was no compulsion to promote or relegate clubs unless necessary, then the West Gippsland could well succeed.

The Gippsland side of the ledger also looks fine. The stronger clubs from outside the GL won't be out of their depth in the Premier Division and the composition of Division 2 doesn't seem to have a club that would be a superpower a la Wonthaggi in their Alberton era. You could envisage promotion-relegation in this competition.

If I were you, I'd be emailing this to AFL Gippsland. Hopefully they would give it some consideration.

Within 25km of Drouin there are nine clubs from eight towns with thirds sides - Buln Buln, Bunyip, Ellinbank, Garfield, Longwarry, Neerim-Neerim South, Nilma Darnum, Warragul and Warragul Industrials.

Out of the nine clubs only Warragul has to travel as far as Bairnsdale, Sale or Maffra.

I'm guessing that the teenagers prefer shorter drives to matches and there are only enough keen youths in the district to fill one GL thirds squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should they go back to the west gippy league. Surely it can't be that hard, with that population to get 20 kids to play under 18s. Their are plenty of other areas that have a similar problems yet can get an underc18s on the park, especially how important it is with the points system

Within 25km of Drouin there are nine clubs from eight towns with thirds sides - Buln Buln, Bunyip, Ellinbank, Garfield, Longwarry, Neerim-Neerim South, Nilma Darnum, Warragul and Warragul Industrials.

Out of the nine clubs only Warragul has to travel as far as Bairnsdale, Sale or Maffra.

I'm guessing that the teenagers prefer shorter drives to matches and there are only enough keen youths in the district to fill one GL thirds squad.

South Div has 3 teams with the magpies colours and nickname haha. That's only a minor problem compared to the others i can see with this model... Although props greenyak it is out there and unique.

What problems do you see with the model? Loving seeing all suggestions, just prey this review committee or whatever they’re called can solve the current issues.

What problems do you see with the model? Loving seeing all suggestions, just prey this review committee or whatever they’re called can solve the current issues.
Poowong + Nyora Attract a large player base from warragul which i would say will kill both of those clubs if they are heading to foster and toora every week. Splitting the gippsland league into two and putting the best from the minor leagues up against them will hurt a few clubs, specifically Mirboo which has struggled to fill its seconds side this year. TTU also might struggle, as they are very up and down. Plus I reckon you could just about engrave the west gippy premier's cup with Leongatha for the next 5 years. In saying all that it is a challenge for clubs to step up and compete, which some may grab and prosper.

Last edited:
Poowong + Nyora Attract a large player base from warragul which i would say will kill both of those clubs if they are heading to foster and toora every week. Splitting the gippsland league into two and putting the best from the minor leagues up against them will hurt a few clubs, specifically Mirboo which has struggled to fill its seconds side this year. TTU also might struggle, as they are very up and down. Plus I reckon you could just about engrave the west gippy premier's cup with Leongatha for the next 5 years. In saying all that it is a challenge for clubs to step up and compete, which some may grab and prosper.

Fair points, mine is flawed from limited knowledge from points you raise. What would your structure look like?

There is no point playing TTU and the Maroons in the same league, that wouldn't work because the Maroons players who wanted to play in a different league all play for TTU. TTU would get spanked playing against the Maroons and clubs like Maffra / Moe.

Keep Mid Gippsland, North Gippsland and Ellinbank the same. Send back dalyston and kilcunda bass to Alberton and Gippsland footy is not in crisis, you then have 5 functioning leagues that can survive.

Agree with this, West Gippy would be better with 10 teams instead of 12. Kilcunda Bass are bottom of Seniors and not fielding teams in thirds or fourths - Dalyston not much better. Both clubs would be much more competitive in Alberton.

I think the winner of the Alberton grand final should be offered promotion to West Gippy, subject to being able to field teams in all grades. In this case, the bottom team in West Gippy would be relegated to Alberton. So Kilcunda Bass or Dalyston can get to return to West Gippy after one season if they are good enough to take the flag.

Last edited:
There is no way teams like Mirboo, TTU, Churchill are gettting close to competing with maffra, moe, sale or any of the gippsland league sides. It sounds good in theory but it will just turn people away from clubs because of the disparity in quality. Same with the West Gippy, Gatha would be an 8 goal better side than every one of those teams at minimum. All good in theory but splitting the strongest league to benefit the minor leagues is ridiculous

With the new season and the G25 plan almost upon us i though i would provide my input
This plan is more conservative than other by having no major changes and low travel
The only major idea is a relegation style system between the West Gippy league and Alberton Comp/ Division allowing for clubs like Kilcunda bass and Korumburra bena able to reach the upper teir.
All comps include 9-10 traditionally rivaled teams to help sustain the leagues
My Idea.PNG

I've attached the interim report in case anyone is interested. It's 87 pages and a pretty dry read.

Major recommendations: move two West Gippy clubs to Alberton, merge Ellinbank and West Gippy into one league with two divisions, move Wonthaggi Power from the Gippsland League to West Gippy. The alternative option they've given is kill Alberton off completely, move two clubs to West Gippy and the rest to Mid Gippy, then move one or two of the Mid Gippy clubs to North Gippy.

They've also been critical of AFL Gippsland and AFL Victoria management over a significant period of time. And want to significantly reduce salary caps across all leagues.

I can't see any two clubs in West Gippsland being keen on moving back to Alberton.

Attachments

• G25_Strategy_-_Interim_Report_(March_2020).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 282
Final recommendation.

Attachments

• G25-Strategy-Final-Report-Play-the-Game-Senior-Competition-Structures.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 165

Remove this Banner Ad

Back