Gippsland Football Rebuild ... Your Say

Remove this Banner Ad

Done deal i hear. Mid gippy already have released draw for 3rds this year and its mid gippy/alberton combined

🔴⚫️ League Update ⚫🔴

At last night's MGFNL meeting there was a vote to change the current league motion from accepting three clubs from the AFNL to six clubs (although this was not listed in the meeting agenda). We as the YYNFNC have an obligation to consult first and foremost with our players (past and present), members and supporters, as we have not been given this opportunity we had no other option than to abstain from voting, however the decision was carried unanimously from the clubs who did vote.

Although six AFNL clubs are not completely out of our future club strategy, we are disappointed that the lessons of 2018 have not been implemented in the 2020 merger process, in relation to consultation with our major stakeholder, YOU! This has once again been viewed by the powers that be, as a business decision rather than a community decision. YYNFNC have major concerns with the potential governance issues, and that this important subject will be again potentially be fast tracked through, without YOUR opinions and concerns even being considered as part of the process.

At this point in the process YYNFNC are 100% committed to the MGFNL. We look forward to the MGFNL providing the YYNFNC with the opportunity to promote the importance of community opinion and thoughts in relation to this decision at the grassroots level, something which the 2018 process also lacked.

Proudly yours
YYNFNC
❤️🖤❤️🖤

Division 1: West Gippsland FL

1 Phillip Island
2 Cora Lynn
3 Tooradin-Dalmore
4 Inverloch Kongwak
5 Koo Wee Rup
6 Bunyip
7 Nar Nar Goon
8 Garfield
9 Korumburra-Bena
10 Kilcunda Bass

Division 2: Ellinbank & District FL

1 Dalyston (relegated from WGFL - 2 wins & 45% in 2019)
2 Warragul Industrials (relegated from WGFL- 2 wins & 43% in 2019)
3 Ellinbank
4 Longwarry
5 Poowong
6 Neerim Neerim South
7 Nyora
8 Buln Buln
9 Catani
10 Yarragon

Division 3: Alberton FL

1 Lang Lang (relegated from EDFL - 2 wins & 59% in 2019)
2 Nilma Darnum (relegated from EDFL - 1 win & 49% in 2019)
3 Fish Creek
4 Foster
5 MDU
6 Stony Creek
7 Tarwin
8 Toora

- Gippsland is unaffected
- Mid Gipps is unaffected
- North Gipps is unaffected
- 10/12 WGFL clubs are unaffected
- 8/10 EDFL clubs are unaffected (apart from one road trip per year, if you can even call it that)
- Alberton FL remains and is back to 8 clubs and sustainable
- Annual promotion & relegation - premiers go up, spooners go down
- The population movement and demographics in West Gippsland are simply too diverse and ever-changing... and given the relatively short distances (80-90 mins max), it's suited to divisional footy. It gives the best level of competition to all.
- A few tough situations but less than any other solution I can see
- No above club is "stuck" anywhere as there's promotion and relegation between the leagues
- Any other club moves (in and out of Gippsland or any other leagues), deal with on a case by case basis

1 Phillip Island
2 Cora Lynn
3 Tooradin-Dalmore
4 Inverloch Kongwak
5 Koo Wee Rup
6 Bunyip
7 Nar Nar Goon
8 Garfield
9 Korumburra-Bena
10 Kilcunda Bass

3 Ellinbank
4 Longwarry
5 Poowong
6 Neerim Neerim South
7 Nyora
8 Buln Buln
9 Catani
10 Yarragon

3 Fish Creek
4 Foster
5 MDU
6 Stony Creek
7 Tarwin
8 Toora

- 8/10 EDFL clubs are unaffected (apart from one road trip per year, if you can even call it that)
- The population movement and demographics in West Gippsland are simply too diverse and ever-changing... and given the relatively short distances (80-90 mins max), it's suited to divisional footy. It gives the best level of competition to all.
- No above club is "stuck" anywhere as there's promotion and relegation between the leagues
- Any other club moves (in and out of Gippsland or any other leagues), deal with on a case by case basis
Appreciate your effort but have you ever lived in Gippsland? Some of the travel you are suggesting just doesn’t work

Daylstons closest away game would be about an hour.
Same as Nilma Darnum and Lang Lang apart from when they play each other.
They need to split up the Alberton league or give them back Yarram and Woodside.

True, but there’s going to be some short-term anomalies like that until divisions even themselves out across the region.

And an hour? Really? Isn’t this country footy? Is that really too far?

If you split up the Alberton league though, isn’t it the same old problem? Where do they go?

True, but there’s going to be some short-term anomalies like that until divisions even themselves out across the region.

And an hour? Really? Isn’t this country footy? Is that really too far?

If you split up the Alberton league though, isn’t it the same old problem? Where do they go?
Ellinbank league has maximum of 40 minutes travel. I can guarantee with 100 percent certainty that Daylston will never play in the EDFL. I can also guarantee that Nilma darnum will never play in alberton.
Mid gippy recently voted to accept all 6 alberton clubs. Traf has made a request to go to EDFL. YYN want out of mid gippy and also I heard yinnar might want to go to nth gippy so it looks like the alberton league has finished just like the alberton cricket league finished up a couple of years ago.

So apparently AFL vic have accepted the recommendations from some proposal which means that alberton and mid gippy will combine next year and west gippy and ellinbank will have some form of promotion relegation between them within a few years.

So apparently AFL vic have accepted the recommendations from some proposal which means that alberton and mid gippy will combine next year and west gippy and ellinbank will have some form of promotion relegation between them within a few years.

All the planning for Ellinbank and West Gippy to have promotion/relegation will be for nothing when West Gippy leave Gippsland and join Outer East. They may as well start planning for that eventuality now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Phillip Island
2 Cora Lynn
3 Tooradin-Dalmore
4 Inverloch Kongwak
5 Koo Wee Rup
6 Bunyip
7 Nar Nar Goon
8 Garfield
9 Korumburra-Bena
10 Kilcunda Bass

3 Ellinbank
4 Longwarry
5 Poowong
6 Neerim Neerim South
7 Nyora
8 Buln Buln
9 Catani
10 Yarragon

3 Fish Creek
4 Foster
5 MDU
6 Stony Creek
7 Tarwin
8 Toora

I like the way you think,I'd do a restructure very similar to yours...but it wouldn't be promotion or relegation, only on the basis of the bottom team in the WGFL division,if they want to go down.Then the premier from the Albertson division and Ellinbank division can apply to come up,I would also bring 3 clubs over from the gippsland league
WGFL premier division
Phillip Island
Cora Lynn
Tooradin
Drouin
Warragul
Inverloch
Wonthaggi
Bunyip
Nar nar goon
Koo wee rup

WGFL Ellinbank division
Garfield
Warragul duties
Bulnbuln
Catani
Longwarry
Ellinbank
Nilma darnum
Nerrim south
Poowong
Lang Lang

WGFL Alberton division
Korumburra
Kilcunda bass
Daylston
Foster
MDU
Fish Creek
Stony Creek
Toora
Tarwin
Nyora

Last edited:
They don’t need a promotion relegation anyway. Both leagues are fine just as they are at the moment

Provided the geography works - and I think it does with WGFL and EDFL - what’s the issue that country clubs always seem to have with promotion and relegation? It only leads to more sustainable and competitive competitions.

I understand geographic and distance objections, but it doesn’t seem to be just that?

Wouldn’t everybody prefer leagues where less teams are getting pummelled and less teams are totally dominant?

Provided the geography works - and I think it does with WGFL and EDFL - what’s the issue that country clubs always seem to have with promotion and relegation? It only leads to more sustainable and competitive competitions.

I understand geographic and distance objections, but it doesn’t seem to be just that?

Wouldn’t everybody prefer leagues where less teams are getting pummelled and less teams are totally dominant?
I don’t see any clubs getting flogged in west gippy at the moment. It’s a great league. Any club can have 1 or 2 bad years. In your previous post you had Dalyston playing in EDFL as they have been one of the weaker WGFL clubs. Daylston is a Wonthaggi based club. The EDFL is a warragul based league. That is over an hour that they would have to travel every second week. Forcing them to do that would be way more detrimental to the club than leaving them in a stronger west gippy league!

I like the way you think,I'd do a restructure very similar to yours...but it wouldn't be promotion or relegation, only on the basis of the bottom team in the WGFL division,if they want to go down.Then the premier from the Albertson division and Ellinbank division can apply to come up,I would also bring 3 clubs over from the gippsland league
WGFL premier division
Phillip Island
Cora Lynn
Tooradin
Drouin
Warragul
Inverloch
Wonthaggi
Bunyip
Nar nar goon
Koo wee rup

WGFL Ellinbank division
Garfield
Warragul duties
Bulnbuln
Catani
Longwarry
Ellinbank
Nilma darnum
Nerrim south
Poowong
Lang Lang

WGFL Alberton division
Korumburra
Kilcunda bass
Daylston
Foster
MDU
Fish Creek
Stony Creek
Toora
Tarwin
Nyora

So you just destroy the premier comp and leave them with 7 teams?

So how do the major league clubs in East gippy go? Eg Sale, Maffra Bairnsdale which use playing against Warragul and Drouin as a big selling point to get recruits and locals back. At the moment it appears kids prefer the edfl, around Warragul and Drouin, I would think mainly regarding travel then playing major league, gippy has major concerns and needs everyone's buy in to ensure gippy footy stays strong and there's no more loss of clubs

No not at all,I'd bring in Churchill from north Gippy and return it to it's original name, Latrobe Valley Football League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back