Glossary of Tactics, Concepts and Player Roles in modern footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
A lot of terminology sounds like Greek for people new to the game or those who have never played.
Since there is a massive lack of proper game analysis content in footy media - I think it's a good idea to start a contemporary glossary of footy roles, tactics and concepts - as many other resources in this vain do not cover the intricacies of the modern game.
Just starting with the ones off the top of my head - please reply with your own and I will add them to the OP.
If you have any objections/improvements to my definitions please let me know.
Apologies if this has been done before - delete if so.
  • 3RD TALL - role: mobile forward that works around the matchups drawn by key targets
  • ACCUMULATOR - role (disputed): player that gets themselves into positions to receive the ball and set up teammates.
  • CORRIDOR - concept: direct centre route between opposing forward 50s
  • CRUMBER - role: player that waits for the ball to spill out/go to ground from a contest
  • DEFENSIVE FORWARD - role: forward that pressures defenders inside forward-50 (same as pressure forward?)
  • ENTRY - concept: the kick into forward-50
  • EXIT - concept: moving the ball from defensive-50 into neutral territory.
  • FAT SIDE - concept: area of the ground not covered by defensive zone (could be wrong here)
  • FLANKER - role: player that pushes up the ground from back 50, turning exits into counterattacks, often provides a palm off option in the corridor
  • FLOOD - tactic: sending a number of players to a certain part of the ground
  • FORWARD MID - role: hunts the ball inside forward 50 and provides release options for entry kicks. Often young players building their tank.
  • FORWARD PRESS - tactic: players push up the ground to lock the ball in offensive 50 and to zone in preparation for exit kicks.
  • HARD TAG - tactic/role: midfielder tasked with playing directly on the opposition's most damaging player with constant pressure and physicality
  • HUG THE BOUNDARY - tactic: playing around the edge of the ground to force stoppages and minimise risk of turnover
  • INSIDE MID - role: player that forces themselves into the contest, extracts the ball, feeds it out and tackles
  • KEY DEFENDER - role: must stop the opposition's key forward from marking
  • KEY FORWARD - role: main marking target inside forward-50. Attempts to mark, draw frees or bring the ball to ground
  • MAN ON MAN - tactic: players defend an assigned member of the opposition to cut off options for possession.
  • MONGREL - concept: scrappiness and physicality at the contest
  • NON-NEGOTIABLES - concept: fundamental aspects of game plan based on effort rather than execution
  • ONE-TWO - tactic: ball movement in which possession is quickly moved between two players, usually to draw a defender and free up running space
  • PLAYS TALL - concept: mid or small sized player who can jump, lead up and mark overhead.
  • POSSESSION FOOTY - tactic: methodically moving the ball around the ground by kicking, opening up angles and hitting targets
  • POWER MID - role: player that provides bursts of energy and physicality from centre bounce
  • ROLLING ZONE - tactic: defensive setup that runs to cover oppo ball movement through multiple areas of the ground
  • RUNNING PATTERNS - concept/tactic: set path players run in response to ball movement, takes time + situational awareness to build.
  • SOFT TAG - tactic/role: midfielder that plays around a damaging opposition player, denying space and winning their own ball off the contest
  • SURGE FOOTY - tactic: style of play that combines possession footy with hard running and line breaking entries into forward-50.
  • SWEEPER - role: defender that sets up around key matchups ready to intercept or clean up
  • SWITCH - tactic: move the ball from one side of the ground to the other, opening up play and forcing opposition to run and cover ground
  • WINGMAN - role: player that follows the ball from the perimeter, waiting to move into defence or join the attack
  • ZONE DEFENCE - tactic: players defend assigned areas of space

Last edited:
Nice concept. I would add a few more:

SLINGSHOT - tactic: counter-attacking play in which defenders exit via the fat side created by the opponent's previous attacking play, in order to move the ball forward quickly.
45 - tactic: kicking the ball at an angle that is neither across the field nor down the line, in order to thwart defensive structures based around the other two options.
DOWN THE LINE - concept: kicking the ball over a long distance, in close proximity to the boundary line, in order to gain ground and minimise the risk of a turnover.
TURNOVER - concept: a sudden change in possession from one team to the other.
REPEAT ENTRIES - concept: bringing the ball inside 50 repeatedly over a short period of time, with the likely effect of tiring the opposition defenders.
SWINGMAN - role: player who can play effectively as either a key defender or key forward, and often plays both roles over the course of a single game.

A lot of terminology sounds like Greek for people new to the game or those who have never played.
Since there is a massive lack of proper game analysis content in footy media - I think it's a good idea to start a contemporary glossary of footy roles, tactics and concepts - as many other resources in this vain do not cover the intricacies of the modern game.
Just starting with the ones off the top of my head - please reply with your own and I will add them to the OP.
If you have any objections/improvements to my definitions please let me know.
Apologies if this has been done before - delete if so.
  • 3RD TALL - role: mobile forward that works around the matchups drawn by key targets
  • ACCUMULATOR - role (disputed): player that gets themselves into positions to receive the ball and set up teammates.
  • CORRIDOR - concept: direct centre route between opposing forward 50s
  • CRUMBER - role: player that waits for the ball to spill out/go to ground from a contest
  • DEFENSIVE FORWARD - role: forward that pressures defenders inside forward-50 (same as pressure forward?)
  • ENTRY - concept: the kick into forward-50
  • EXIT - concept: moving the ball from defensive-50 into neutral territory.
  • FAT SIDE - concept: area of the ground not covered by defensive zone (could be wrong here)
  • FLANKER - role: player that pushes up the ground from back 50, turning exits into counterattacks, often provides a palm off option in the corridor
  • FLOOD - tactic: sending a number of players to a certain part of the ground
  • FORWARD MID - role: hunts the ball inside forward 50 and provides release options for entry kicks. Often young players building their tank.
  • FORWARD PRESS - tactic: players push up the ground to lock the ball in offensive 50 and to zone in preparation for exit kicks.
  • HARD TAG - tactic/role: midfielder tasked with playing directly on the opposition's most damaging player with constant pressure and physicality
  • HUG THE BOUNDARY - tactic: playing around the edge of the ground to force stoppages and minimise risk of turnover
  • INSIDE MID - role: player that forces themselves into the contest, extracts the ball, feeds it out and tackles
  • KEY DEFENDER - role: must stop the opposition's key forward from marking
  • KEY FORWARD - role: main marking target inside forward-50. Attempts to mark, draw frees or bring the ball to ground
  • MAN ON MAN - tactic: players defend an assigned member of the opposition to cut off options for possession.
  • MONGREL - concept: scrappiness and physicality at the contest
  • NON-NEGOTIABLES - concept: fundamental aspects of game plan based on effort rather than execution
  • ONE-TWO - tactic: ball movement in which possession is quickly moved between two players, usually to draw a defender and free up running space
  • PLAYS TALL - concept: mid or small sized player who can jump, lead up and mark overhead.
  • POSSESSION FOOTY - tactic: methodically moving the ball around the ground by kicking, opening up angles and hitting targets
  • POWER MID - role: player that provides bursts of energy and physicality from centre bounce
  • ROLLING ZONE - tactic: defensive setup that runs to cover oppo ball movement through multiple areas of the ground
  • RUNNING PATTERNS - concept/tactic: set path players run in response to ball movement, takes time + situational awareness to build.
  • SOFT TAG - tactic/role: midfielder that plays around a damaging opposition player, denying space and winning their own ball off the contest
  • SURGE FOOTY - tactic: style of play that combines possession footy with hard running and line breaking entries into forward-50.
  • SWEEPER - role: defender that sets up around key matchups ready to intercept or clean up
  • SWITCH - tactic: move the ball from one side of the ground to the other, opening up play and forcing opposition to run and cover ground
  • WINGMAN - role: player that follows the ball from the perimeter, waiting to move into defence or join the attack
  • ZONE DEFENCE - tactic: players defend assigned areas of space
I always interpreted fat side as that side of the ground where the players aren't, but you have described it better than that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back