Food, Drink & Dining Out Gluten free

Remove this Banner Ad

l have added gluten free bread,pasta,crackers etc to my diet the bread is pricey and small loafs and slices the taste is strange,but goes alright toasted.
l am buying gluten free stuff each week eg flour few other things.l found a gluten shop that was closing down brought a whole heaps of things dirt cheap.l not going 100% gluten yet! but l am adding gluten things to my diet every month.

Yeah? Whereabouts?

My girlfriend recently found that she is gluten intolerant. Having never had a major issue with it myself and having moved in with her I'm learning to cook some stuff.

There's a decent shop on Ballarat RD, Deer Park titled "Sugar Free" but am always looking for options.

I basically dropped bread from my diet when i started, but since moving over to NZ, the gf breads are a lot better than those in Aus. I can actually use the Vogel's gf breads in a sandwich :eek:

The gf range over here is actually pretty decent. Hells and Dominos do pizza, Burge Fuel do gf buns, there's a pretty decent range of pizza bases, pasta, pita bread and the like. Theres also frozen spiced chicken, battered fish and donuts here.

The trick is finding what to substitute in, we cook with a lot of soy sauce, stocks, gravies and the like, so if you can find the gluten free equivalents. Most other things you cook, like pasta and the like, you need to make your own sauces.

My wifes allergic to garlic which makes it a bit tougher. My sis has been on the diet since about 2003ish, maybe earlier, and I started in 2005.

Yeah? Whereabouts?

My girlfriend recently found that she is gluten intolerant. Having never had a major issue with it myself and having moved in with her I'm learning to cook some stuff.

There's a decent shop on Ballarat RD, Deer Park titled "Sugar Free" but am always looking for options.

It's called Absolutely Gluten Free. It's on Synnot Street, almost next door to the ALP's office...opposite McDonalds is probably more helpful. I've never been inside, so I can't vouch for it in terms of quality - my mum tried a gluten free diet for a while though.

Thank you :thumbsu:

Dominos actually makes a pretty good gluten free base here in Australia too. My girlfriend tried it a couple of weeks ago on recommendations that I had found elsewhere and it was surprisingly good.

i have been for a decade and the one greatest thing you can get is fresh bread from "Black Ruby" in north fitzroy on rathdowne st.

Like real bread but doesn't mess you up/

aLSO the gluten free super market on north road near brighton, Mckinnon area.

I'm not but I've family members with coeliac disease, so pretty much all our cooking at home is GF.

I have a friend who has it and she finds now that there are so many more food products available for coeliac sufferers, and also they are catered for in eating spots also, to a much greater degree, which is great.

Buying gluten free in Perth is difficult and expensive. Gluten free beer is unfortunately horrible. I am to old to worry but I have a beer or two, real stuff. Mainly I try really hard to stick to a gluten free diet, even though the faqnantics will say 0ne billionth of a gram will mangle you.
I was diagnosed with dermatitis herpetiformis caused by gluten intolerance 16 years ago , it gives you little blisters and itching that is really horrible. I use dapsone 1/2 (50m) a tab a day it keeps it in check to probably 95%. Got to have blood tests every 6 months, full smack. But I am very lucky and have not been troubled by the dapsone but I do take a small dose.

I find bread the hardest to deal with , vitually the only way it tastes worthwhile is to toast it, or bake your own and eat almost immediately.

I,d like to know how people with coeliac desease go with oats which in Europe is graded as not having the toxin that causes coeliac ,but in Australia it is still a no no. Anybody?

Thank you :thumbsu:

Dominos actually makes a pretty good gluten free base here in Australia too. My girlfriend tried it a couple of weeks ago on recommendations that I had found elsewhere and it was surprisingly good.
Yep we get gluten free pizza over here they taste great, Dominos too I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buying gluten free in Perth is difficult and expensive. Gluten free beer is unfortunately horrible. I am to old to worry but I have a beer or two, real stuff.

What brands of GF beer have you tried? My relatives like O'Briens (http://www.obrienbrewing.com.au/) and I've brewed some sorghum based homebrew from ESB brewing which they (and I) liked very much.

I've also heard good things about Redbridge and Bard's Tale beers, both from the US, or Greens from Belgium. I don't know whether you can get them here but you might like to try.

What brands of GF beer have you tried? My relatives like O'Briens (http://www.obrienbrewing.com.au/) and I've brewed some sorghum based homebrew from ESB brewing which they (and I) liked very much.

I've also heard good things about Redbridge and Bard's Tale beers, both from the US, or Greens from Belgium. I don't know whether you can get them here but you might like to try.
Thanks , yes I,ve tried O Briens not that good for me anyway. But I,ll have alook around for those others.

Thanks , yes I,ve tried O Briens not that good for me anyway. But I,ll have alook around for those others.

Try Schnitzer Bräu, an imported German GF beer made from millet. I saw it advertised in the Australian coeliac magazine, so I got a 6-pack to try. I quite liked it and I gave some to my coeliac dad who said it was great.

Available from Dan Murphy's.

I,d like to know how people with coeliac desease go with oats which in Europe is graded as not having the toxin that causes coeliac ,but in Australia it is still a no no. Anybody?

It's a no in Australia not because they have gluten but for commercial reasons a lot of companies don't decontaminate their processing areas before bring oat products through production lines etc. So you cant trust oat based products.

Thought I'd bump this thread.

I wasn't diagnosed with anything but I decided to do a test by only eliminating the gluten foods from my diet to see how I felt. I was actually trying to prove that gluten was fine, but after two weeks of no bread or pasta I felt pretty damn decent.

I tried to ween myself back onto bread and pasta but it felt like it was taking too long to get used to it again, plus I didn't like feeling sluggish and bloated so I just gave up and didn't bother having it anymore.

I don't necessarily think gluten is bad for everyone (despite out bodies not being able to process it properly), but looking at ingredients, nutritional info and the way it's made...there's not really much point in consuming it when you could replace it with vegetables.

I also don't bother with the gluten-free branded pseudo foods, so expensive!

I wasn't diagnosed with anything but I decided to do a test by only eliminating the gluten foods from my diet to see how I felt. I was actually trying to prove that gluten was fine, but after two weeks of no bread or pasta I felt pretty damn decent.

I tried to ween myself back onto bread and pasta but it felt like it was taking too long to get used to it again, plus I didn't like feeling sluggish and bloated so I just gave up and didn't bother having it anymore.

I don't necessarily think gluten is bad for everyone (despite out bodies not being able to process it properly), but looking at ingredients, nutritional info and the way it's made...there's not really much point in consuming it when you could replace it with vegetables.

I also don't bother with the gluten-free branded pseudo foods, so expensive!
Price kills it.Most of the breads give me terrible indigestion, I still have a beer I don't eat wheat, but I try oats on occasion.Other than that I am pretty gluten free, but no diet has ever made me feel any different than I did 20 years ago before I was diagnosed with the skin complaint related to gluten.
But at my age life's too short .

Buying gluten free in Perth is difficult and expensive. Gluten free beer is unfortunately horrible. I am to old to worry but I have a beer or two, real stuff. Mainly I try really hard to stick to a gluten free diet, even though the faqnantics will say 0ne billionth of a gram will mangle you.
I was diagnosed with dermatitis herpetiformis caused by gluten intolerance 16 years ago , it gives you little blisters and itching that is really horrible. I use dapsone 1/2 (50m) a tab a day it keeps it in check to probably 95%. Got to have blood tests every 6 months, full smack. But I am very lucky and have not been troubled by the dapsone but I do take a small dose.

I find bread the hardest to deal with , vitually the only way it tastes worthwhile is to toast it, or bake your own and eat almost immediately.

Gluten is not a toxin, it's the protein component of a grain such as wheat.

Wheat is probably one of the biggest culprits as it's in so much food; bread, biscuits, cake, pizza, hamburger buns, etc. Cut out wheat products and you're half way there!

unless you have coeliac diease or a similar intolerance then there is absolutely no reason to remove gluten from your diet. none.

I eat gluten free

Be wary about transitioning to gluten free by eating the same diet with gluten substitutes. The typical substitutes for gluten free options like tapioca starch etc have an extremely high glycemic index which is akin to chowing down on toffee and sugar. Elevated blood sugar levels cause a myriad of issues including inflammation.

You're better off overhauling your current high carb diet in place for a low carb high fat and protein diet. Eat fish, meat (unless vego of course), eggs, butter, nuts (in moderation), seeds, cheese and of course veggies.

Sure, have some gluten free pasta, muffin, pizza but make it a special treat - do not eat the 'gluten free' stuff every day. It really is not good for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back