Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Never underestimate the appeal of Melbourne (the city) itself to a young footy player either. Although some players prefer to be out of the limelight, many more love the idea of being immersed in football’s heartland and being feted as celebrities with fame and fortune.

While playing in big matches for a Melbourne club can be a lure for players, many find it is not as much fun as they’d expected. Players who have played in Melbourne, then moved interstate often reflect that they’re glad they did it that way, rather than moving the other direction. A case of be careful what you wish for

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never underestimate the appeal of Melbourne (the city) itself to a young footy player either. Although some players prefer to be out of the limelight, many more love the idea of being immersed in football’s heartland and being feted as celebrities with fame and fortune.
That's where it's on us to create own our special feeling around the club so locals turn down the opportunity to go to the southern states and stay here instead. Probably the best we can hope for is something close to what Adelaide/West Coast have where locals grow up dreaming of playing for the Crows or Eagles. We sort of saw it with Weller coming back to us after a few years at Freo but I'm not so sure that would have happened if Lachie had been drafted to a Victorian team. Lachie Weller was our version of Rankine joining the Crows in a lot of ways.

I've been watching a whole bunch of replays of underage games on cluch tv. Lombard is going to be a star imo, I've seen him in a few games. He is strong, quick, explosive, good agility, aggressive, quick hands and a nice flat kick.

Nancarrow is like a young Patrick Ryder, has that soft hands touch of a ruckman, but also he is really quick for his size, will also be quality.

Some very exciting times for Suns fans with these two in the pipeline, plus of course Rogers and Walter this year.

I've been watching a whole bunch of replays of underage games on cluch tv. Lombard is going to be a star imo, I've seen him in a few games. He is strong, quick, explosive, good agility, aggressive, quick hands and a nice flat kick.

Nancarrow is like a young Patrick Ryder, has that soft hands touch of a ruckman, but also he is really quick for his size, will also be quality.

Some very exciting times for Suns fans with these two in the pipeline, plus of course Rogers and Walter this year.
Toss in Ethan Reid and Will Graham this year. Leo will be a very good player - just needs to give off a little more when he gets in a tight spot but he's a star for sure. Jai Murray is another young guy coming through to keep an eye on.

Toss in Ethan Reid and Will Graham this year. Leo will be a very good player - just needs to give off a little more when he gets in a tight spot but he's a star for sure. Jai Murray is another young guy coming through to keep an eye on.

I can't think of who Lombard reminds me of, low centre of gravity, with that pace, power and agility combination.

Dare I say it, maybe he reminds me a bit of k. hunt, but with a good kick and football IQ. Which actually makes it surprising growing up in QLD that he wasn't pulled over to play that other sport, as he'd be very good at that too with his athletic profile. If anything it shows the strength of grassroots footy on the gold coast that he chose footy.

Leo will be a very good player - just needs to give off a little more when he gets in a tight spot but he's a star for sure.
Leo Lombard was selected in the U16s AA team and was named as our U16s Academy MVP last year so obviously the kid can play. For those who don't know, his father is a very famous Cuban UFC fighter named Hector Lombard and one look at the old man will show you that Leo has been blessed genetically:

uxovczp.jpg

I can't think of who Lombard reminds me of, low centre of gravity, with that pace, power and agility combination.

Dare I say it, maybe he reminds me a bit of k. hunt, but with a good kick and football IQ. Which actually makes it surprising growing up in QLD that he wasn't pulled over to play that other sport, as he'd be very good at that too with his athletic profile. If anything it shows the strength of grassroots footy on the gold coast that he chose footy.
It's funny you mention him being pulled to another sport because Leo was (unsurprisingly) a gold medallist at the U12s Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Australian Open back in 2012. I won't profess to be a BJJ expert by any means by I would assume a low centre of gravity would be advantageous in that sport and he's clearly carried that into footy. I remember Leigh Matthews once saying Karmichael Hunt's low centre of gravity reminded him of Peter Daicos and, if used correctly, can be devastatingly effective in footy.

I think we're all very excited about the potential with Nancarrow and if he becomes even half the player Ryder was in his prime then we'll have a very handy player on our list. It's not often both the U18 & U16 AA CHFs come from the same academy (particularly given one was an underager) but we saw that last year with Walter and Nancarrow dominating at the national championships. It's all very exciting and it couldn't come at a better time when we're about to climb the ladder into (hopefully) a top 8 position this year!

Academy members Jake Rogers (Broadbeach) and Ethan Read (Palm Beach) travelled to Melbourne in December to take part in the National Academy session at Essendon's Tullamarine training facilities. Hopefully the two lads learned a thing or two that they can implement in their games this year.

bsJXcyj.jpg
0TFX3BH.jpg

As for our female academy, Darcie Davies (Southport) and Sienna McMullen (Bond University) will travel to Victoria this weekend to take part in the AFLW National Academy session at Tullamarine and Geelong Grammar.

Nice to see our academy prospects getting the opportunity to train with the best junior footballers in the country!

Academy members Jake Rogers (Broadbeach) and Ethan Read (Palm Beach) travelled to Melbourne in December to take part in the National Academy session at Essendon's Tullamarine training facilities. Hopefully the two lads learned a thing or two that they can implement in their games this year.

bsJXcyj.jpg
0TFX3BH.jpg

As for our female academy, Darcie Davies (Southport) and Sienna McMullen (Bond University) will travel to Victoria this weekend to take part in the AFLW National Academy session at Tullamarine and Geelong Grammar.

Nice to see our academy prospects getting the opportunity to train with the best junior footballers in the country!
Just the two? Any reason Walter didn't given he is in the afl academy.

Wandered down last night to catch a bit of the U18s IntraClub hit out - first for the year. Jed Walter, Ethan Reid and Jake Rogers sat out the game - apparently heading to Melbourne for an Allies Camp today. Game was quick and showed a lot of promise. Lots of kids I didn't know BUT Leo Lombard was everywhere!! This kid can really play and will be drafted in 2024. He's that good. Will Graham showed plenty - he has his speed back and picked up a lot of classy possessions. Didn't play the last quarter (there were five 10-12 minute sessions) and sported a small ice pack on one knee. Hopefully precautionary only. He's still my smokie for this years draft if his knee holds together. If we don't grab him - someone will. Another youngun' - Max Hudson - did some good things as well and seems primed for 2024. Lots to be excited about guys.

Was an interesting U18 trial match, with the squad now being cut to 40 and announced on Monday.
The big 3 for this years draft sat on the sideline. No Nancarrow either, which makes me wonder if he will be playing for us or the Sandy Dragons this year…

Few notable performances were Lombard, who as Sun Stormer alluded to, was everywhere. Over played his hand at times, but overall very classy user and hard as a cats head. Zanker-Close was excellent down back and reads the play well, but looked a little lost when he was rotated forward later in the match. Hay and Graham both played well, however both left the game injured, missing the final quarter. Dawson dominated in the ruck with Read out. Clunked some solid grabs and hit the scoreboard when moved into KPF.
Hudson and Adinsal both played remarkably well considering they are playing up from the U16 group. Murray started on ball, but was moved forward early.

Signs are pointing to a very competitive U18 team this year with the inclusion of Read, Walter and Rogers.

Last edited:
Was an interesting U18 trial match, with the squad now being cut to 40 and announced on Monday.
The big 3 for this years draft sat on the sideline. No Nancarrow either, which makes me wonder if he will be playing for us or the Sandy Dragons this year…

Few notable performances were Lombard, who as Sun Stormer alluded to, was everywhere. Over played his hand at times, but overall very classy user and hard as a cats head. Zanker-Close was excellent down back and reads the play well, but looked a little lost when he was rotated forward later in the match. Hay and Graham both played well, however both left the game injured, missing the final quarter. Dawson dominated in the ruck with Read out. Clunked some solid grabs and hit the scoreboard when moved into KPF.
Hudson and Adinsal both played remarkably well considering they are playing up from the U16 group. Murray started on ball, but was moved forward early.

Signs are pointing to a very competitive U18 team this year with the inclusion of Read, Walter and Rogers.
I believe Nancarow and also Boston Everitt will only play in any of the Melbourne games scheduled - so they both look like getting some access to competition.

Wandered down last night to catch a bit of the U18s IntraClub hit out - first for the year. Jed Walter, Ethan Reid and Jake Rogers sat out the game - apparently heading to Melbourne for an Allies Camp today. Game was quick and showed a lot of promise. Lots of kids I didn't know BUT Leo Lombard was everywhere!! This kid can really play and will be drafted in 2024. He's that good. Will Graham showed plenty - he has his speed back and picked up a lot of classy possessions. Didn't play the last quarter (there were five 10-12 minute sessions) and sported a small ice pack on one knee. Hopefully precautionary only. He's still my smokie for this years draft if his knee holds together. If we don't grab him - someone will. Another youngun' - Max Hudson - did some good things as well and seems primed for 2024. Lots to be excited about guys.

How exciting! Hopefully we'll soon get some kind of update from down south on how Nancarrow is progressing. Seems like our '24 crop could be just as strong as our '23 crop if these guys keep developing at the same trajectory. I know Addinsall and Murray were also named in the U15 All Australian team last year so the '25 crop may be strong too but it's probably far too early to read into their draft chances.

This reminds me so much of GWS when they made their jump up the AFL ladder in the 2015-16 period and suddenly there was an explosion of academy talent coming through their zone at the same time. Setterfield (pick 5), Perryman (pick 14) & Cumming (pick 20) all came through in 2016 which happened to be the first year GWS starting playing finals. They also had Hopper (pick 7), Kennedy (pick 13) & Himmelberg (pick 16) come through the year before.

It's important for us to still have a flow of high end talent joining our list while we're contending for finals (and not having those early draft picks) because it will keep our premiership window open for longer. The Giants were able to keep their window open for close to 6 years because their academy top ups offset the loss of other players from trades/retirements and GWS are only now committing to a proper rebuild so hopefully we can do something similar over the next decade. A 6 year finals run would be a lot of fun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many are U17 or U16?

A lot. I suspect that out of this squad, a number of younger players may not make the playing group.

Rough breakdown (not 100% sure, but fairly close)

U19 = 7
U18 = 16
U17 = 13
U16 = 4

Reality is that the majority of the U16 and U17 players in this squad have not played much, if any, U18 footy in Qld.

There are some very, very good young players in the squad, but a stretch to throw them up against the best the NAB league and Northern Academies have to offer.

I have heard that the U18 group this year, outside of Read, Rogers, Walter and one or two others, dropped away fairly quickly. Perhaps that is the reason for the large number of U17 in the squad.

Last edited:
Gary ablett

Sure these been a Sam collins, Daniel harris, Matthew Shaw at some point in the past 120 years too.

There could've been another Sam Collins from Tasmania selected in 2020 but he's not ever been on a list.

Zai Millane is a name that stands out.

Nephew of Darren Millane.
Just on Zai, obviously Darren Millane is the most famous name in the family but Zai's father John has been involved in local GC footy for a while now and currently serves as a senior assistant coach at Palm Beach Currumbin. John and Darren's brother Sean Millane is also involved in local GC footy and is the current senior head coach of Palm Beach Currumbin. So I'd imagine Zai will find his way into the PBC senior side either this year or next year.

A few other familiar names have been listed in our U18s academy including father-son prospects Boston Everitt (Spida's son - St Kilda F/S eligible) and Joe Kennedy (Maxy's son - Brisbane F/S eligible), Leo Lombard's father happens to be the former UFC fighter Hector Lombard and Zeke Uwland is the brother of our very own Bodhi Uwland.

Plenty of strong bloodlines running around in our academy.

A lot. I suspect that out of this squad, a number of younger players may not make the playing group.

Rough breakdown (not 100% sure, but fairly close)

U19 = 7
U18 = 16
U17 = 13
U16 = 4

Reality is that the majority of the U16 and U17 players in this squad have not played much, if any, U18 footy in Qld.

There are some very, very good young players in the squad, but a stretch to throw them up against the best the NAB league and Northern Academies have to offer.

I have heard that the U18 group this year, outside of Read, Rogers, Walter and one or two others, dropped away fairly quickly. Perhaps that is the reason for the large number of U17 in the squad.
Everyone keeps forgetting Will Graham - keep your eye on him. He's a jet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back