News Goodbye “medium term”

Remove this Banner Ad

And the people that never cared, well to be honest they don't care so it also shouldn't bother them if the information is improved should it
They reaaaaaallllly realllllly don’t care. We know because they keep telling us. :D

They reaaaaaallllly realllllly don’t care. We know because they keep telling us. :D
Someone cared so little they apparently broke their silence...

To point out that they didn't care

I’m a big CS guy but he’s wrong on this one. Eat it up Christopher.
He will deal with this in his usual diplomatic manner, and it is NOT CS who writes the timeframes or the prognoses.

Thats it - and Rhys Stanley is another classic one from the season just gone

So he gets a nasty injury - a fractured eye socket - it lingers and lingers and he is out for week after week - no supporter knows what is happening

Then one of the posters went to Geelongs training one day - and Rhys came over to the fence and he told him and his friends - that there was a problem with his vision - and they just have to wait and see till that improves back to 100%

And that poster - posted that on the Injury forum - and any Geel supporter who read that - would have finally known what the situation was with Rhys

Now why couldnt the Geelong Club have told the supporters that

No supporter is expecting an update every 10 minutes on someones hamstring - but i think some of the longer term ones like Guthrie and Stanley they could inform the supporters what the situation is and what the stumbling block is stopping them from resuming playing
How would you like that worded?
Visual disturbance?
Unknown time frame?
That IS what we got.

He will deal with this in his usual diplomatic manner, and it is NOT CS who writes the timeframes or the prognoses.
Indeed but this “strategy” was very much his. He was on the record about it.

How would you like that worded?
Visual disturbance?
Unknown time frame?
That IS what we got.

Rhys Stanley has suffered a fractured eye socket, and he is expected to miss a minimum of X weeks.

Update:

Stanley's fractured eye socket is not healing as expected, and it is now thought that he will now not return before X.

Update:

RS is now suffering complications from the fractured eye socket he suffered in Rd X, and will not return to training until further notice.

Etc.

Not that hard.

Rhys Stanley has suffered a fractured eye socket, and he is expected to miss a minimum of X weeks.

Update:

Stanley's fractured eye socket is not healing as expected, and it is now thought that he will now not return before X.

Update:

RS is now suffering complications from the fractured eye socket he suffered in Rd X, and will not return to training until further notice.

Etc.

Not that hard.
AND the people that are already happy with what they get will still be happy.. It really isn't that difficult

For some, and that's ok.
It's all about entitlement and instant gratification for some supporters.
Blanketed by "transparency and supporters' rights"...

Update:

Update:

Etc.

Not that hard.
And what did we actually get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all about entitlement and instant gratification for some supporters.
Blanketed by "transparency and supporters' rights"...

And what did we actually get?
Well maybe it is but why can't we have a bit more information and why do you care? And to be a broken record, I'm not asking for private intimate details or any other strawman response, just a morsel rather than a complete absence of information.

Is it for instant gratification...I'm not sure, maybe it is some times. For myself at least there are times I'm just trying to plan going to the VFL but I don't care for watching a bunch of top ups, I want to watch Willis but similar to my concern on the absence of injury information, I'm no longer sure he/it even exists!

Well maybe it is but why can't we have a bit more information and why do you care? And to be a broken record, I'm not asking for private intimate details or any other strawman response, just a morsel rather than a complete absence of information.

Is it for instant gratification...I'm not sure, maybe it is some times. For myself at least there are times I'm just trying to plan going to the VFL but I don't care for watching a bunch of top ups, I want to watch Willis but similar to my concern on the absence of injury information, I'm no longer sure he/it even exists!

You'd think the club was being asked to hand over their medical records.....

Just a little more honesty, and little less contempt, is all thats been asked.

And what if the club just does not want opposition or public to KNOW the injury details?
That does happen, and that is what has driven the bare minimum details that are being complained about.
It matters not, as we see, the pronouncement has been delivered.

On the flip side, players will be afforded better recovery if they're rested so their cracked ribs, shoulders, back and foot injuries aren't targeted by opposition players and are allowed to heal instead.

Might improve their longevity and long term health as a result too.

Edit: it would only improve the club's compliance with their duty of care too.
With true respect, these points are just wrong.
By your theory there, we would barely field a team of 22 in any given week.

And what if the club just does not want opposition or public to KNOW the injury details?
That does happen, and that is what has driven the bare minimum details that are being complained about.
It matters not, as we see, the pronouncement has been delivered.

Yep, the decision has indeed been made, and now we'll see a bit more honesty and transparency.

The protesting is puzzling. State secrets aren't being betrayed.

Exactly that.

Let's say Zac Guthrie has a hamstring injury: 2-3 weeks.
One week later, literally anyone employed by GFC: "Zac's had a minor setback, we're not too concerned, but being cautious it's now 4-5 weeks."

The amount of total outrage from Geelong fans (and the English-speaking world): zero.

It's a rather big improvement I would have thought.
I think you have seriously underestimated the outrage. The ferals will lose their minds.

For what purpose?

Plus I think it is gross we get personal information about player's medical concerns as it is. I'd be fine if we just got a vague "it's a foot issue and the player will be back when the player will be back" so maybe I am not the person to ask about this issue.

Sorry I don't think that applies in this case. These guys are professional athletes - on a lot of money which we supporters help fund. Like it or not, if you're a professional sportsman your injuries are public knowledge. Goes with the adulation, fame, and massive pay cheque. It's not a normal workplace and they aren't normal employees.

As others have already said, no one cares about in-depth medical history either; it's only information relating to the specific injury at the time. Ankle injury? How is the ankle healing. Hamstring injury? How is the hamstring. It's as simple as that.

Sorry I don't think that applies in this case. These guys are professional athletes - on a lot of money which we supporters help fund. Like it or not, if you're a professional sportsman your injuries are public knowledge. Goes with the adulation, fame, and massive pay cheque. It's not a normal workplace and they aren't normal employees.

As others have already said, no one cares about in-depth medical history either; it's only information relating to the specific injury at the time. Ankle injury? How is the ankle healing. Hamstring injury? How is the hamstring. It's as simple as that.
I'd imagine the tune might be different if after signing Jeremy Cameron he didn't line up round 1 and, then Rd 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and by midyear we knew nothing and the club didn't even mention his name when providing injury updates.... would we still be saying it's none of our business? but wait, that actually does happen just some people don't care about other players on our list, and that's fine, but some of us do.

This thread is hilarious. Posters who never cared about the way the club went about reporting injuries now apparently care that there's been a 'totally unnecessary' change. The bitterness regarding what is an entirely reasonable and measured alteration to the policy is actually quite amusing

And, better than that, all of this has come about entirely because of the craven greed of the AFL in their ongoing desire to partner with the gambling industry. All the mocking in the world from supporters like me had no effect whatsoever. As I had repeatedly noted that it wouldn't.

#ohtheironing
#doesitmatterordoesntit
#makeupyourmind

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back