Analysis Grand Final opponents

Remove this Banner Ad

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't want this to be misconstrued as getting ahead of ourselves. I just find it very interesting that if we were to win through to the grand final this year our opponent would be either the team we have the worst recent finals record against, the second worst finals record against or the best finals record against.

Here are the numbers since 1990.

Geelong - 6 losses 0 wins
Adelaide - 3 losses 0 wins
Sydney - 0 losses 3 wins

Now if Thursday showed anything it is that this group does not concern itself with history or odds, but the irrational superstitious side of me would certainly feel much better facing up to Sydney in a granny.

We have beaten casey in the HnA season but got smashed in the first final
Williamstown we beat with a undermanned side
Vfl flag is up for grabs

It'll be a Dogs or GWS Vs Adelaide GF imo. A fellow north fan mentioned to me he thinks if we eventually got to a GF, we'd win it because of the effort it'd take to get there we're not gonna be the kind of club/team to shut off on the day.

I don't want this to be misconstrued as getting ahead of ourselves. I just find it very interesting that if we were to win through to the grand final this year our opponent would be either the team we have the worst recent finals record against, the second worst finals record against or the best finals record against.

Here are the numbers since 1990.

Geelong - 6 losses 0 wins
Adelaide - 3 losses 0 wins
Sydney - 0 losses 3 wins

Now if Thursday showed anything it is that this group does not concern itself with history or odds, but the irrational superstitious side of me would certainly feel much better facing up to Sydney in a granny.
Thought I'd give this thread a bump due to how it all played out.
I've got to admit I went in to the GF a lot more confident against Sydney than I would have been if it had been Geelong or Adelaide.

For the record our finals record since 1990 now sits-

+4 0 SYDNEY
+1 0 GWS
=1 1 COLLINGWOOD
=1 1 HAWTHORN
=2 2 WEST COAST
-1 2 BRISBANE
-1 2 ST.KILDA
-0 1 MELBOURNE
-0 3 ADELAIDE
-0 6 GEELONG

Before this campaign Sydney and Collingwood were the only team that we didn't have a negative finals record against?
Now we're at least even with Hawthorn and West Coast and up on GWS (let's keep it that way).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back