Prediction If Luke is Coach can we play finals in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If we got Joel Corey back as midfield coach.
Matthew Scarlett back as defensive coach.
Got Sav Rocca / Tory Dickson to teach goalkicking.
Pyke and Josh Bruce as forward coaches
Mark Williams as assistant coach.
Lepitch as assistant/ game plan coach.
Cameron as opposition analysis coach.
Then if Bevo listens to them. Then I think we go deep into finals.

Not too much to ask for?

You make a good point

We can surround Bev with good assistants who are capable of putting a plan together on how to move the ball and defend etc

But is Bev prepared to change the way he has been coaching ?
Is Bev the way he is because we have had incompetent assistants therefore he feels he needs to do everything

Unless there is a massive shake-up of the footy department: no
We didn't have a bad run with injuries this year. I don't see the top 8 sides going backward next year. I see big upside with Adelaide, Hawthorn and Goldcoast.
Didn’t have a bad run with injuries? Our back line was never settled all year….was a revolving door

Richards and JJ - running power out for many games
Jones L - missing for a massive chunk of games

ir hurt us more than you think

Not making finals might give time for a genuine break and mental reset for coach and players.

Early preseason, early surgeries etc.

Fitness was an issue both mental and physical.

I don't disagree, but it wasn't like we went deep into September last year. We got bundled out in week one, the dees got bundled out a week later than us, then spanked us in round one this year.

I would be very interested to see how we approach the preseason, but won't hold out any hope that we'll find out much before rd 1 next year. Probably the dees again......

Of course we can. Changes are certainly coming.

This board has whipped itself up into a frenzy.

There’s not much argument for “can’t”. Media members love to make “can’t make finals” and “can’t win the premiership” statements as early as a few rounds into a season, and many end up being laughably wrong.

Am I confident we’ll play finals with Beveridge as coach? No. Not if we keep playing the Bevball we’ve seen the last two seasons. But let’s see which assistants we bring in and what influence they have on how we play and the playing group.

There’s not much argument for “can’t”. Media members love to make “can’t make finals” and “can’t win the premiership” statements as early as a few rounds into a season, and many end up being laughably wrong.

Am I confident we’ll play finals with Beveridge as coach? No. Not if we keep playing the Bevball we’ve seen the last two seasons. But let’s see which assistants we bring in and what influence they have on how we play and the playing group.
People really didn't read the title,

2018 was the only year under Bevo where we didn't even remotely challenge for finals,

Our List is still fairly decent however clear has some holes in it but isn't falling off a cliff like a Geelong or West Coast this year,

We lost pretty much all of our close games this year which is historically very easy to rectify with pre-season training

If the question was top 4 obviously you'd be crazy to be positive given we have never finished there under Bevo but is the master of a bottom end of the 8 finish so to suggest we are suddenly going to drop off that far is a fair bit of a stretch for mine

We only have a good 2024 if we are united club. If the rumour is true that the Bont told Bains Bevo had lost the players it will take a huge turnaround to be united.

Now posters are Bont wants Bevo to stay. Let's forget about the rumours work on the premise Bevo, Grant and Baz are staying. What I hope for is

Bevo gets some good assistants that can assist in our game plan and he is happy to work with them.
Baz just knuckles down hits form early and re-signs early.
Plus we get Astro, Tim and JUH sorted early.
Through the draft and trade we pick up some speedy on ballers and wingers.
Some of our largely untried players Sam, Buss, Gallagher, Clarke, Bebendo, O'Donnell, A Jones turn to gold.
A good run with injuries
Get away to a winning start to build confidence no 50 point losses.

Maybe I need to wake up from the dream but all are possible. As much as we would like a new coach it is not going to happen so I going a full 360 degree. Turn the negativity into a positive vibe back the changes and it starts on bigfooty.:)

Of course we can. Changes are certainly coming.

This board has whipped itself up into a frenzy.
Yep.

Let's have a pre-season where players train and play in their rightful positions, get used to the blokes around them and become an efficient team where everyone knows their roles and the roles of others.

That will develop a fair bit of system on its own, and then we can work on a few strategies to enhance that (based on our players' individual strengths).

Add a Plan B and C, develop a bit of finesse by training for in-game circumstances/changes and gain some confidence that everyone's on the same page.

Hopefully Bevo and the incoming coaches will set this up. If that happens, the players will play for them.

Honestly, I don't think it's that hard...is it?

Last edited:
Yep.

Let's have a pre-season where players train and play in their rightful positions, get used to the blokes around them and become an efficient team where everyone knows their roles and the roles of others.

That will develop a fair bit of system on its own.

Add a Plan B and C, develop a bit of finesse by training for in-game circumstances/changes and gain some confidence that everyone's on the same page.

Hopefully Bevo and the incoming coaches will set this up. If that happens, the players will play for them.

Well you've already contradicted yourself a bit there,

You want everyone to play in their "rightful" positions yet want to add in 2 new gameplans? Without the move of Lobb into the ruck and English forward I doubt we win on Saturday, Without moving Bailey Dale to half back 3 years ago I am not sure he is still on an AFL list as a forward without moving Naughton forward we wouldn't be having the yearly forward or back where is he best debates.

The issue isn't the adjusting of certain players positions it's the failure more in our systems that it isn't easy to plug someone in and get a similar result pending form or injury

Yep.

That will develop a fair bit of system on its own, and then we can work on a few strategies to enhance that (based on our players' individual strengths).

Do you honestly believe these things aren’t already covered during training?

Just because the players don’t always execute. Doesn’t mean they don’t know how.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you've already contradicted yourself a bit there,

You want everyone to play in their "rightful" positions yet want to add in 2 new gameplans? Without the move of Lobb into the ruck and English forward I doubt we win on Saturday, Without moving Bailey Dale to half back 3 years ago I am not sure he is still on an AFL list as a forward without moving Naughton forward we wouldn't be having the yearly forward or back where is he best debates.

The issue isn't the adjusting of certain players positions it's the failure more in our systems that it isn't easy to plug someone in and get a similar result pending form or injury
Game plans are easier to develop when everyone knows their responsibilities, surely.
If player A is in half back one week, half forward next week and on the wing the week after, then there will be confusion - not just for player A, but for all the others being shuffled around...ask Ed Richards and JJ what they'd prefer.

Moving Lobb into the ruck is an example of having Plan B & C for in game circumstances,isn't it?

Anyway, I'm simply arguing that a consistent method will help to develop a workable system.

Moot point if that doesn't include the development of someone(s) in run with roles to shut down Newcomb, Kelly et al from time to time, I suppose.

Do you honestly believe these things aren’t already covered during training?

Just because the players don’t always execute. Doesn’t mean they don’t know how.
No, but players are often not selected in their best positions, and I think that causes confusion.

Ed Richards was asked about his great form earlier in the year. He said it was largely due to being allowed to settle into his best position and to play to his strengths.

JJ's partner, in answer to Roaming Brian's question about his good form: "well, he didn't win a Norm Smith medal playing on the half forward line, did he?".

Training & playing to our natural strengths would be a good start. Easton Wood agrees 😄

Last edited:
Game plans are easier to develop when everyone knows their responsibilities, surely.
If player A is in half back one week, half forward next week and on the wing the week after, then there will be confusion - not just for player A, but for all the others being shuffled around...ask Ed Richards and JJ what they'd prefer.

Moving Lobb into the ruck is an example of having Plan B & C for in game circumstances,isn't it?

Anyway, I'm simply arguing that a consistent method will help to develop a workable system.

Moot point if that doesn't include the development of someone(s) in run with roles to shut down Newcomb, Kelly et al from time to time, I suppose.
Well that is a different argument to "play everyone in their position" yes we need to develop a cooler type player and yes we significantly need to develop a better defensive system but that's completely different to trying to play Baz Treloar Bont Libba Macrae West all as mids

No, but players are often not selected in their best positions, and I think that causes confusion.

Ed Richards was asked about his great form earlier in the year. He said it was largely due to being allowed to settle into his best position and to play to his strengths.

JJ's partner, in answer to Roaming Brian's question about his good form: "well, he didn't win a Norm Smith medal playing on the half forward line, did he?".

Trainibg & playing to our natural strengths would be a good start. Easton Wood agrees 😄
JJ was moved out of the backline because he was easily tagged out of games and became a detriment,

He became an effective forward tagger not sure using him is a strong argument

Richards yes there will always be a couple that are baffling

Simple answer is no.

Bevo could coach us to next finals however there also needs to be major changes in list to get us out of a downward trajectory.

Does anyone think a side with Scott, McNeil, Roarke Smith, McLean, Duryea, OBrien, Keath, Gardner and Khamis playing and being consistently part of best 23 will make finals ?

No ? Well this may also be the situation next year if it takes two or three years to turn over the bottom end of our list.

I assumed Hannan, McComb, Bruce, Crozier and Sweet leave as normally it’s about 5 list changes per year however we may need to cut more deeply and quickly than that

Simple answer is no.

Bevo could coach us to next finals however there also needs to be major changes in list to get us out of a downward trajectory.

Does anyone think a side with Scott, McNeil, Roarke Smith, McLean, Duryea, OBrien, Keath, Gardner and Khamis playing and being consistently part of best 23 will make finals ?

No ? Well this may also be the situation next year if it takes two or three years to turn over the bottom end of our list.

I assumed Hannan, McComb, Bruce, Crozier and Sweet leave as normally it’s about 5 list changes per year however we may need to cut more deeply and quickly than that
Most of what you named hardly featured or are on the back end of their careers and have obvious replacements coming through

JJ was moved out of the backline because he was easily tagged out of games and became a detriment,

He became an effective forward tagger not sure using him is a strong argument

Richards yes there will always be a couple that are baffling

JJ was easily tagged because he was our only genuine rebounding defender at the time. Daniel was then pushed back, but was also negated by teams pulling him deeper, etc, but (on limited exposure) JJ teamed with Richards and Dale suddenly means an opposition can't shut them all down - and teamed with talls who can execute (Jones and JOD), we are suddenly more dangerous pushing out of defence offensively. The worry with current JJ is prevalence of soft tissue injuries, as otherwise he is potentially back to being an offensive weapon from defence.

Can definitely play finals next year but things have to change. Bevo needs to have help, have a plan b and c for when things get tough, make moves even for a qtr just to stop momentum. Would go a long way to winning those close games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back