Does Darcy play seniors in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Judging by the pre-season photo he has bulked up in a major way, but if Lobb is fit I can't see him getting a game as a forward, and I don't think he's mobile enough for an AFL backman. In fact I could see Croft who is a super athlete getting a gig in the backline ahead of him.

This would mean another year spent mostly in the reserves waiting for Lobb or English to be rested or get injured.

Thoughts?

Judging by the pre-season photo he has bulked up in a major way, but if Lobb is fit I can't see him getting a game as a forward, and I don't think he's mobile enough for an AFL backman. In fact I could see Croft who is a super athlete getting a gig in the backline ahead of him.

This would mean another year spent mostly in the reserves waiting for Lobb or English to be rested or get injured.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't say he has bulked up in a major way at all,

He has put some more size on for sure but is still a couple years off where he needs to be physically.

If he has a full preseason without interruption and is banging down the door play him if not let him grow more into his body and play consistent high level output games in the VFL

The thing about Darcy is we haven’t planned for him to be in the AFL team once, yet since his first day of training when he’s fit and available he forces our hand. He trains the house down all preseason gets selected round 1, gets injured we think okay no need to play him for the rest of the year but within a few VFL games he’s forced our hand again and he’s back in.

He’s just that good when he’s on the park, Ill bet money on it if he has a full preseason come round 1 we will have no choice to play him over Lobb because he’ll just be the form player over preseason.

I think Lobby sees that writing on the wall too so it’s really up to him how he’ll respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest question is still his body though. Just playing more games than missing is the most important thing, and not stressing his immature body.

If we go with three KPDs again, I think he’ll be one of them. Otherwise whichever of him or Lobb is in form will play. Probably first in at either end.

Really, as a 20 year old 209cm matchstick man, we shouldn’t be ‘relying’ on him much or at all. Just hoping he gets a clear run at most of the year, carves up VFL and plays AFL when the structure and his form dictate it.

Particularly for talls, a longer stint at the lower level to start won’t hinder development. He just needs to play as many games as possible at either level.

Last edited:
Size doesn't always = strength. Does it play a big part? Definitely. Smaller guys with smaller arms could potentially out bench press him. Could just be the angles, but he definitely is not the twig he was when he started out with us.

But size itself is irrelevant if you do not use it well. Positioning in one on one contests, especially for the ball in the air is important in getting the most out of your size. Rather strong hips, than big biceps in this situation. Seen too many big guys in our history get pushed around and rag dolled because they don't have enough mongrel in them, or don't know how to use their size. Which is why I am loving our current squad. We seem to have a few talls who are willing to be aggressive and put up a fight.

And the only way he will get better at positioning and using his strength/size to the best of his ability, is by playing and training. Sam DeKoning was a twig, and already beating opponents in just his first couple of seasons. We need Darcy to have an injury free run for once. Would not be surprised if he spends most games in the VFL, as he has missed a decent chunk of development. I would not even rush him into the senior side, because lets be honest. With JOD, Jones, and Coffield down back, another tall we are too heavy. Lobb, Marra and Naughton up front, we are set.

He will become best 22 and take over from someone (likely Lobb) one day, and be there for a decade. Though it will likely take a serious drop in form by one of our forwards, injury or an insane run of form by Darcy himself to squeeze in to the main side next season. I rather think about the long term and not rush him. Focus on getting his body right, and get him as many uninterrupted VFL games as possible. We are yet to see his potential over a whole season.

Aside from a Premiership and Bont Brownlow. An injury free run from Darcy is probably inside my top 3-5, on my Christmas wish list for season 2024. Well I wish for an injury free run for all of our youngsters who have been held back a little last season. Darcy excites me, and I am keen to see what he brings in the new year.

If he’s not a regular next year then he’s either another Ayce Cordy or someone every other club should be going hard for. He’s not a hopeful youngster he’s a pick two in his third year, I can’t think of anyone in a similar situation who was battling in the twos then became a star for their club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he’s not a regular next year then he’s either another Ayce Cordy or someone every other club should be going hard for. He’s not a hopeful youngster he’s a pick two in his third year, I can’t think of anyone in a similar situation who was battling in the twos then became a star for their club.

Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins, Tim English and many more big guys struggled playing consistently footy in there first 3 years and turned it around.

Sam Darcy will be a star if he gets his body gets right. He is dominant at VFL level.

Ayce was barely serviceable from what I saw at vfl (some say he was on the right trajectory before significant shoulder issues though).

You’re actually not the worst poster, yet this is quite possibly the single worst take I’ve seen on this whole forum

Boy oh boy WOWWEE

I can’t think of anyone in a similar situation who was battling in the twos then became a star for their club.

He's going into his third year, is 209cm tall, and has so far had a navicular stress fracture, an infection in his knee, a hole in his lung, a broken jaw, and a corky that had him on crutches. I think he's in the twos for a reason beyond "isn't ready".

Darcy is too good for vfl. There have only 2 players I’ve been blown away by at vfl level. They are Bont and Sam Darcy.

I remember Bont kicking 4 and having about 30 against sandy in Geelong of all places. Never played VFL an again.

I’d play Darcy at Full Back if we insist on playing 3 tall defenders.

Max Gawn:
  • 2010: 0 games (ACL recovery)
  • 2011: 4 games
  • 2012: 0 games (ACL recovery)
  • 2013: 13 game (2 wins / 11 losses)
  • 2014: 9 games (1 win / 8 losses)
  • 2015: 13 games (4 wins / 9 losses)
  • 2016: 22 games (All Australian)

Sure there are some injuries in there but it’s not like Darcy hasn’t been injury interrupted both years. Gawn spent the first half a season in his 6th year on an AFL playing for Casey and has turned out ok.

He shouldn't be playing back. Too slow and forwards these days are either mobile or monsters. He doesn't have that strength for the monsters yet.
Hopefully he takes over from Lobb mid year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back