Grand Final's held around the nation instead of MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I know in the NFL the Superbowl is given to a city if they build a new stadium, which works because 31 cities have a team so 30 years per upgrade/ building a new stadium isn't that unfeasible. Also some of the cities have economies comparable to Australia.

Rights to host it for 5/10 years at a time per upgrade might work but I doubt that would go down well.

If in the future there are four 70,000 plus stadiums in Australia I would be open to having it hosted in the city of the minor premier. It seems like a fair idea and a month would seem like a reasonable time to work out all the logistics for airlines, hotels etc.

I'm not advocating a change for a long time. The pros for having it at the MCG still outweigh the cons. The MCG is the best place to have it, which is why it is a tradition. But in the future the game could benefit from having it somewhere else, and the chances of it being in Victoria would be strong most years.

It might be the AFL and we call it Australia's game, but let's be honest it was the VFL that made this game what it is today.

The reason why Port Adelaide premierships won't ever be counted in the tally, is because they were not a part of the VFL when they won them, they still exist in the SANFL and the AFL (which was born out the VFL) invited them to play in their competition.

It is Victoria's game.

Any supporter of an expansion club (WA, Freo, Brisbane or franchise - like myself at GWS or GCS) who wants to take away a tradition like Victorian Grand Finals is nothing but a selfish twat.

If having home grand finals mean everything to you, hand back your licence and go back to your state competition and do what ever you want there.

While you play in an expanded VFL Premiership, you play your grand finals at the MCG.

I can guarantee you 2 things about AFL players playing the game today.

1) None of them grew up barracking for GWS or Gold Coast.

2) None of them dreamt of kicking the winning goal on Stadium Australia on the last Saturday in September, but I reckon they all dreamt about doing it on the MCG.

It might be the AFL and we call it Australia's game, but let's be honest it was the VFL that made this game what it is today.

The reason why Port Adelaide premierships won't ever be counted in the tally, is because they were not a part of the VFL when they won them, they still exist in the SANFL and the AFL (which was born out the VFL) invited them to play in their competition.

It is Victoria's game.

Any supporter of an expansion club (WA, Freo, Brisbane or franchise - like myself at GWS or GCS) who wants to take away a tradition like Victorian Grand Finals is nothing but a selfish twat.

If having home grand finals mean everything to you, hand back your licence and go back to your state competition and do what ever you want there.

While you play in an expanded VFL Premiership, you play your grand finals at the MCG.

I can guarantee you 2 things about AFL players playing the game today.

1) None of them grew up barracking for GWS or Gold Coast.

2) None of them dreamt of kicking the winning goal on Stadium Australia on the last Saturday in September, but I reckon they all dreamt about doing it on the MCG.

So you're saying all the rich history in the SANFL, WAFL and so on are never to be recognized because they simply are not Victorian? Why bother calling it 'Australia's Game'?

So you're saying all the rich history in the SANFL, WAFL and so on are never to be recognized because they simply are not Victorian? Why bother calling it 'Australia's Game'?
Recognise away.

Just don't try and impose their history on the AFL as it is today.

Only play GFs interstate if both teams are from there, for example
WCE vs Freo GF (New Perth Stadium)
Port vs Crows GF (Adelaide Oval)
GWS vs Sydney GF (Stadium Australia)
Brisbane vs Gold Coast GF (Gabba)
Otherwise keep all other GFs at the g

Once Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane have 70,000 plus stadiums (For AFL, not including Homebush), I'd be fine a rotation, have every second year be in a different city maybe.

Recognise away.

Just don't try and impose their history on the AFL as it is today.

It's is the afl that is imposing its history on the other leagues. Why is a league hl of fame contain players in didn't play in that league.

You are a product of the new generation who doesn't realise that football exists outside and before the afl/VFL.

It would be pointless to talk about south Fremantle sides of the fifties or the port Adelaide side pre ww1 to someone that's is a cog in the afl propaganda machine

It's is the afl that is imposing its history on the other leagues. Why is a league hl of fame contain players in didn't play in that league.

You are a product of the new generation who doesn't realise that football exists outside and before the afl/VFL.

It would be pointless to talk about south Fremantle sides of the fifties or the port Adelaide side pre ww1 to someone that's is a cog in the afl propaganda machine

This guy....#lad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you ever go to Christmas Lunch and hang s**t on your Aunty?

How about pay out on your grandfather at Easter?

No? Why is that?

Because you respect your elders? Because they are what made you the person you are today?

Exactly what tradition do clubs like Adelaide Crows, West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Gold Foast Suns bring to the table?

I'll give you a tip...

Starts with farking

Ends with none.

Do you ever go to Christmas Lunch and hang s**t on your Aunty?

How about pay out on your grandfather at Easter?

No? Why is that?

Because you respect your elders? Because they are what made you the person you are today?

Exactly what tradition do clubs like Adelaide Crows, West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Dockers, GWS Giants, Gold Foast Suns bring to the table?

I'll give you a tip...

Starts with farking

Ends with none.

s**t analogy

Traditionally the VFL was

Made up of Victorian Teams
Played only in Victoria
under Final Five system
played at local mudbog ovals

Tradition is gone

s**t analogy

Traditionally the VFL was

Made up of Victorian Teams
Played only in Victoria
under Final Five system
played at local mudbog ovals

Tradition is gone
Your club wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the AFL. Neither would mine.

So shut your f....:g mouth and respect your betters champ.

If the 2 teams are from the same state, give 'em a choice - either play at home or play at the MCG as a neutral venue. There's every chance they would want to play at the G anyway due t the tradition and atmosphere. Ideally, keep the G as much as possible.

I don't agree with the notion that Victorian clubs benefit from a home ground advantage on Grand Final day. Non-Victorian clubs have shown that if they're good enough they will win the flag.

1991 - Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 - West Coast d Geelong
1994 - West Coast d Geelong
1996 - North Melbourne d Sydney
1997 - Adelaide d St Kilda
1998 - Adelaide d North Melbourne
2001 - Brisbane d Essendon
2002 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Fremantle
2014 - Hawthorn d Sydney

Thirteen Grand Finals with Victorian clubs playing Non-Victorian clubs.

Victorian - 5 wins
Non-Victorian - 8 wins

I don't agree with the notion that Victorian clubs benefit from a home ground advantage on Grand Final day. Non-Victorian clubs have shown that if they're good enough they will win the flag.

1991 - Hawthorn d West Coast
1992 - West Coast d Geelong
1994 - West Coast d Geelong
1996 - North Melbourne d Sydney
1997 - Adelaide d St Kilda
1998 - Adelaide d North Melbourne
2001 - Brisbane d Essendon
2002 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2003 - Brisbane d Collingwood
2007 - Geelong d Port
2012 - Sydney d Hawthorn
2013 - Hawthorn d Fremantle
2014 - Hawthorn d Sydney

Thirteen Grand Finals with Victorian clubs playing Non-Victorian clubs.

Victorian - 5 wins
Non-Victorian - 8 wins
Tasmania is non-victoria's kryptonite

The issue isn't just the stadium, it is the logistics and city's capacity to hold that many travellers. Perth doesn't have the hotel beds or the flights to get more than 20-30K in for a game. Melbourne, Sydney do, Brisbane probably too if people bunk at the Gold Coast.

It would have to be set a year out and that could cause issues if two Vic teams have to travel to WA for example. I'm dreading how bad it would be logistics wise if we ever have a Derby GF, I think tickets will be easy enough to get, just flights and traffic on the nullabor would be shocking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back