Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
As long as you are properly registered and licenced there is absolutely no reason to feel like a criminal for simply owning guns, provided you keep them safe as per legal requirements.

And I'm not a gun fan at all.

As long as you are properly registered and licenced there is absolutely no reason to feel like a criminal for simply owning guns, provided you keep them safe as per legal requirements.

And I'm not a gun fan at all.
Plus 1....not a fan of guns at all....their sole purpose is to kill...

But like you said if everything is correct with the paperwork...then no issue

Plus 1....not a fan of guns at all....their sole purpose is to kill...

But like you said if everything is correct with the paperwork...then no issue

I disagree, just because something is legal it doesn't make it ok or even remotely sane. Unless you need to kill critters on the farm owning a gun (and gun ownership in general) only causes problems.

I disagree, just because something is legal it doesn't make it ok or even remotely sane. Unless you need to kill critters on the farm owning a gun (and gun ownership in general) only causes problems.

you take the guns away from the legal gun owners and the only people left with them are the illegal gun owners, and trust me, they ain't gonna be using them on critters, targets, or just to look good.

Making gun ownership outright illegal is not an answer to gun crime, and therein lies the problem.

you take the guns away from the legal gun owners and the only people left with them are the illegal gun owners, and trust me, they ain't gonna be using them on critters, targets, or just to look good.

Making gun ownership outright illegal is not an answer to gun crime, and therein lies the problem.

Legal gun owners would never use them for defence. They are locked in the bloody cabinet, there aren't many people who SHOULD own a gun that will be getting in a gunfight with somebody who shouldn't. Meanwhile people with no record of offences can get a gun, doesn't really matter what their future behaviour will be. A totally unnecessary item for city dwellers.

Making them illegal is the answer, no grey area, no need for the guns either.

Just realised this is the general afl thread, I thought it was the talking crap thread....sorry.

NO people kill people !!!

People use guns to shoot bullets to kill people.
Therefore it's the bullets that are the problem.
Ban the bullet.

Let's bite the bullet and give bullets the bullet.

99.9999999999999999% of bullets kill people only if used with a gun.

That was my point, I was just being a smart arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey who moved the thread? Plenty of non football talk in Port Adelaide Est. 1870 esp this time of year.:confused:

Legal gun owners would never use them for defence. They are locked in the bloody cabinet, there aren't many people who SHOULD own a gun that will be getting in a gunfight with somebody who shouldn't. Meanwhile people with no record of offences can get a gun, doesn't really matter what their future behaviour will be. A totally unnecessary item for city dwellers.

Making them illegal is the answer, no grey area, no need for the guns either.

Just realised this is the general afl thread, I thought it was the talking crap thread....sorry.

All guns are illegal without a license, and then that can only get you bolt action rifles or shotguns that can hold a whopping 2 rounds before needing reloading.

So please explain to me how these laws have stopped automatic rifles and handguns finding their way in to the hands of bikies and other criminals

I don't think people who aquire their guns legally are the problem at all. However, they don't seem to fix the problem.

Australia's gun laws are pretty good though, and its really only farmers and weirdos (no offence to them) that own guns here, and criminals of course, but those aren't often legal at a guess. I'd also guess that buying assault rifles and Deagles is a fair bit harder here. So they aren't exactly able to conceal these arms on themselves or shoot up a school on a whim, instead they'd have to buy those things illegally.

I do think the culture of "I need a gun to protect myself" is where the problem lies. Its not like your farmers or gun enthusiasts think they need to protect themselves, they just want to kill boars or look at guns, rather than shoot burglers or take up arms against the government etc.

The people who own guns legally dont make us safer from the guys who do own guns illegally , so you can throw that argument out the window. if a biker decides he is coming into my street to shoot it up it aint gonna matter shit that my brother in law in gawler has a gun in a safe. so the argument against taking guns away that they will only be in the hands of criminals is a moot point. in the hands of a non-criminal it doesnt counter act that in any way.

at the moment it isnt a big issue since we cracked down on it and we dont have a great deal of loss of life to gun crime or accidents here in australia (although one would be too many).

obviously america has the big issue. cant get my head around how many kids die every day there and no one will stand up and say enough.

too many idiots have connected the idea of freedom to guns. what the frak do they have in common. nothing. it has no representation with freedom as america knows it. america might think they built their freedom on the gun but they built it on manufacturing and innovation , which they are pretty much getting their butts kicked at the last few decades.

The people who own guns legally dont make us safer from the guys who do own guns illegally , so you can throw that argument out the window. if a biker decides he is coming into my street to shoot it up it aint gonna matter shit that my brother in law in gawler has a gun in a safe. so the argument against taking guns away that they will only be in the hands of criminals is a moot point. in the hands of a non-criminal it doesnt counter act that in any way.

No it doesn't, but legal gun owners don't make the problem worse, so what's your argument for outlawing them altogether? You don't like them? Cause the argument that doing that will deter criminals and stop the violence is also a moot point.
This isn't America where people can hang assualt rifles in their loungeroom. If gun storage laws are followed correctly it would be very hard for then to be stolen plus ammunition.

I had a thought just now Edgie.

Say you were doing to rob my house, or even just mug me. I don't have a gun, you do. You threaten me with it, I'm not an idiot you can have my things.

If I do have a gun, someone is quite possibly going to end up dead or at least shot at.

Am I right in this train of thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back