Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

Read on BF somewhere. My Board are not happy. Does not make sense if true.
I'll believe it when I see it mentioned somewhere other than a place with less credibility that SEN callers. ;)

It makes absolutely no sense.

View attachment 1455232

Is there any reason other than virtue signaling that the club has not reverted our logo? This is the kind of annoying nonsense we do which makes no sense, the indigenous round is a great thing and it’s great that we embrace this but it was round 10/11 and it’s now round 18. Does this signify that our logo is meaningless?

The problem with this is that our club’s actual regard for indigenous players is shithouse.

We have struggled to draft, hold or develop any indigenous talent and never thought to employ a dedicated indigenous welfare officer to assist even though we would have the most inexperienced soft cap experience to assist the head coach. Just look at what Eddie Betts has achieved at Geelong to see what that role can do.

To do the right thing, or be seen to be doing the right thing. GWS management chooses the latter every time.

D137B296-9ED8-40AB-AD15-2475335F1B45.jpeg

Logo back and a very good and thorough explanation of injuries to us. Fair play, well done 👍

Pardon the intrusion.

It seems the AFL are intent on fixturing your Friday and Saturday night games at the SCG and not your home ground - thoughts?
That would be a horrendous idea.
Very short sighted.
The success of the Giants is dependent on appealing to Western Sydney. This is a generational process.
This does not achieve that.
Homebush is infinitely easier to get to than the SCG from every where excluding the Eastern suburbs.

Just sort of thinking about a lineup for Round 1 next year because I'm bored

Idun Taylor Buckley
Cumming HH Haynes
Whitfield Green Callaghan
Greene Hogan Peatling
Stone Riccardi(?) Daniels

Preuss Kelly Coniglio

Ash Perryman Ward Fahey

Mid rotation: Cogs, Kelly, Green (main 3), Perryman, Callaghan and maybe a little bit of Ash but a pretty small role

Out: Taranto, Hopper, Bruhn, Hill, MDB, maybe Briggs but wasn't named anyway

Rookies coming in makes this a little bit difficult to project, but jeez outside of Hogan it is quite grim at KPF really wasn't sure who to name as the No.2 with HH down back, would be fine with Haynes being moved this off-season but it seems like his contract is going to make that a bit difficult to do so think he stays and if he does I expect him to bounce back from this year and play next year. Not sure where Ward fits into all of this tbh, if he's in the side he almost has to play as an inside mid but would prefer to keep that group smaller then it has been in years past, certainly makes things easier if he retires to just pick another outside player or forward, but he's still pretty solid so would think he goes again or maybe you just don't pick him and pick someone like Wehr instead. Leek and Buckley (think Buckley wins out) likely battling for that second KPD spot while HH is third tall, think the combo of Cumming, HH, Fahey maybe Ash as well gives us plenty of juice behind the ball to get it moving. Whitfield would be a full time wing for me with Perryman/Callaghan rotating on the other side between inside and outside. Apart from Greene there's so many question marks with out forward line, can Daniels and Stone stay healthy? Can Peatling replicate similar form to what he did his first few games under McVeigh, 3 goals a game is obviously unrealistic but can he become a consistent threat to hit the scoreboard? Hogan's pretty good and has remained healthy for the most part this year but that looks to be a bit of an anomally when comparing to the rest of his career, not something we can bank on at all happening next year. Think we all like Fahey, he was producing at a really good level in the magoos before going down, a debut was only a week or 2 away for him. Wehr, Lloyd, Angwin, XO, Flynn all looking for a way in.

Last edited:

There is a feeling inside Giants HQ that this isn't a diabolical exodus, rather it is time the club resets the constant flow once and for all – which has been almost unavoidable given the list concessions provided to the expansion side – and corrects its salary cap so it can become a place that attracts star players from other clubs. Aside from Heath Shaw, Brett Deledio and Ryan Griffen, the Giants have never landed a star from another club. Most have been starved of opportunity elsewhere (Braydon Preuss), delisted free agents (Matt de Boer) or veterans (Steve Johnson) looking to extend their careers.

Bruhn is set to become the latest former first-round pick to leave at the end of his first contract, following Caldwell and Jackson Hately in 2020, after Aiden Bonar in 2019, Will Setterfield in 2018, Matthew Kennedy in 2017, as well as Jarrod Pickett, Caleb Marchbank and Taylor Adams.

Hopper is being courted by Geelong and Richmond, despite being contracted for 2023. Taranto is in demand by powerhouse Victorian clubs, including Collingwood and Richmond, but is understood to be waiting to see who the next senior coach is before finalising his decision.
Then there is the future of Davis, who has a contract for 2023 if he wants it, but is yet to make a call on next year. Former first-round pick Xavier O’Halloran is yet to sign a new deal and could be lured home, while local product Kieren Briggs is one to keep an eye on during the Trade Period.

To put it bluntly, after Gold Coast having a mini-reset and a major reset within their first decade - and only looking serviceable this year because of the ongoing effects of a massive injection of extra concessions just 3 years ago - and GWS having a long (and seemingly never ending) list of draftees ******* off after just 2 years (or 4 or 5 years), it's clear to me that the AFL has ****ed up its expansion model royally. NSW and Queensland are not SA & WA - there was never an ingrained local supporter base or market. and most importantly local players, waiting to carry the new clubs. While I do have some belief in the "if you build it, they will come" approach, just like a farmer has a prepare a field, sow the seeds, and then fertilise and water the field/crops, the AFL needed to nurture the new clubs. Instead, it's spent the last 8 years undermining us - to me linked to the changeover from Demetriou to McLachlan and his cronies. I do believe we're at a nexus point for the club(s). While I've always viewed the expansion as a generational effort (a generation generally being accepted as 30 years), it can easily collapse at this point and limp along to a failure in another 20 years if the AFL doesn't pull its head out of its arse and actually work out that it needs to support the non-heartland clubs with specific measures that dilute the otherwise massive natural advantage of the heartland - and especially Victoria as the largest player, coach, supporter, sponsor, media & $ provider - clubs in the competition.

That's not to say that the club hasn't made mistakes, but some of those have been precipitated by the poor environment that the AFL (which is really the VFL in disguise) set up and continues to foster.

To me it's clear the AFL panicked around 2016 with both Sydney teams doing well and the moaning and groaning from the Vic homeland committee.
They yanked off the training wheels 18 months too early by removing COLA and list allowances. Projected salary cap and list management was thrown into chaos.
Covid in 2020 destroyed the team cohesiveness (remember how easily we took apart Geelong in round 1?) and supporters fell away.
Only token efforts the last 2 years to bring back supporters to games combined with poor on-field performance. They get what they've sown.

To me it's clear the AFL panicked around 2016 with both Sydney teams doing well and the moaning and groaning from the Vic homeland committee.
They yanked off the training wheels 18 months too early by removing COLA and list allowances. Projected salary cap and list management was thrown into chaos.
Covid in 2020 destroyed the team cohesiveness (remember how easily we took apart Geelong in round 1?) and supporters fell away.
Only token efforts the last 2 years to bring back supporters to games combined with poor on-field performance. They get what they've sown.
Yes, that's exactly my thoughts. Playing home games in rural Victoria while ACT was open and available to play in (at least one of our home grounds, and likely would have prevented having to play a 4th Manuka game this year) was a shocking and arrogant approach, especially after the atrocious schedule we were forced into the previous year (Queensland-WA-Queensland-SA-Queensland in one stretch) while our opponents got more stable ground programming. Yes the times were difficult, but VFL House showed their utter disregard for GWS.

While I've always viewed the expansion as a generational effort (a generation generally being accepted as 30 years), it can easily collapse at this point and limp along to a failure in another 20 years if the AFL doesn't pull its head out of its arse and actually work out that it needs to support the non-heartland clubs with specific measures that dilute the otherwise massive natural advantage of the heartland - and especially Victoria as the largest player, coach, supporter, sponsor, media & $ provider - clubs in the competition.

That's not to say that the club hasn't made mistakes, but some of those have been precipitated by the poor environment that the AFL (which is really the VFL in disguise) set up and continues to foster.
To that you can add the disproportionate amount of resources that have put into virtue-signalling products like the AFLW and Multicultural Ambassadors. What good has that done? All we seem to have got is the uncomfortable noise with Haneen Zreika.

The men's product is our flagshp. If we cannot get that right, the rest of it is just money down the drain.

To me the main thing to correct is the poor strategic coaching.
How our team cannot defend in a basic zone structure is unforgivable. They look all at sea for large portions of the game. Watch a VFL game or an afl game and it is readily identifiable.
When it gets out of hand they revert to 1 on 1.
Add to that the huge imbalance with our midfield and the ongoing injury crisis and it leaves us where we are… 3rd last.
Three things must happen:
1. Get a coach who can implement a good team defence (which will in turn help our attack).
2. Turnover necessary players to correct the imbalance of our list.
3. Implement industry leading strength and conditioning so players are consistently fit and available.

The NRL believe there has been a drop in commitment to developing the game in Western Sydney by AFL/Giants.
I have no idea if it’s true, a changed strategy or a Covid hiccup, but the NRL seem to think it’s real.
  • The push to use the Giants name and slow the use of GWS.
  • Canberra more games and extension.
  • continue to concentrate on the ACT grassroots with Western Sydney lagging.
  • lack of promotion and cost increases.

Can’t blame them for thinking it. As a member I think it.

From what I've read Yze seems to be the guy they'll go for if Clarko decides elsewhere, think that'd be a really smart hire. Been given heaps of credit for Melbournes defensive structure over the last 2 years when they've been the best defence in the comp, coached in different roles across multiple lines. Was a really sought after hire when Melbourne grabbed him from Hawthorn, would be keen as to get him in over Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've read Yze seems to be the guy they'll go for if Clarko decides elsewhere, think that'd be a really smart hire. Been given heaps of credit for Melbournes defensive structure over the last 2 years when they've been the best defence in the comp, coached in different roles across multiple lines. Was a really sought after hire when Melbourne grabbed him from Hawthorn, would be keen as to get him in over Clarko.
I am keen on Clarko simply for the amount of eyes & ears that will go to our club if we can land him. It is not necessarily about landing the 'best' coach imo as I think he will get good assistants around him to come up as well. For me it is ALL about how we move forward as a club in terms of on field, off field, growth of supporter base, sponsorship, respect within the AFL hierarchy. Ideally he coaches us for 3-5 years until the Tassie team comes in and trains up an assistant under him to take the reins once he departs for the Apple Isle

Some significant commentary from Shephard on GWS exodus, COLA & crowds. And that question/comment about playing at SCG.

Giants chairman Tony Shepherd believes it’d be “worthwhile” revisiting the Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) for Sydney-based clubs, claiming it’d not only help his club retain talent but also attract experienced AFL staffers.

And Shepherd says the Giants are working on a strategy with the AFL to help boost crowds at their Sydney-based home games, with their 2022 attendances “a long way off the pace”.

Asked on 3AW’s
Sportsday why the Giants keep losing – and are expected to lose – prized talent, Shepherd said: “There‘s two things you’ve got to understand. The cost of living in Sydney is a lot higher than in Melbourne and significantly higher than Adelaide or Perth or Brisbane, so that has an impact on player retention. And there’s always that get-home factor for guys that come up from Melbourne.

“We have always worked on the basis that we can‘t keep all of our first-round draft picks and some of them will leave. We compensate that by trading and hopefully maintaining our list and we’ve got some really good people that we’ve acquired at very low rates that have done extremely well for the club.
[Comment: Drawing a bit of a long bow with this comment. We trade in players much less than other clubs.]

“That‘s another problem for us is getting the experienced staff in AFL because they come up here and they’ve finally got to pay a lot more for rent or houses than they did in Melbourne or Adelaide or Perth. So that cost of living is an issue for us, there’s no doubt about that.”

The Giants have played six games at Giants Stadium this year for an average attendance of 6103 – the lowest average since the club came in the competition, outside of the Covid-affected 2020 season. Shepherd said he was thrilled with attendance numbers at Giants home games in Canberra, but conceded crowds at Sydney-based matches this year had been poor. “We’re a long way off the pace. You know how fickle Sydney is – if you’re not winning, they don’t come, that’s for sure – but there is Covid reticence for crowds still having an impact in some games in Sydney,” he said. Shepherd said his club was “working closely” with the AFL to “bring those crowds back up to the level we expect”, including an investment boost in community footy, as well as the marketing strategy and timing of games.

Shepherd confirmed the Giants were “having a look at” the possibility of playing a home game at the SCG against a big Victorian club, like Richmond or Collingwood.
[Comment: This is presumably what a Swans poster heard about when he asked a question about a week ago.]

Shepherd confirmed the Giants were “having a look at” the possibility of playing a home game at the SCG against a big Victorian club, like Richmond or Collingwood. [Comment: This is presumably what a Swans poster heard about when he asked a question about a week ago.]
We don't sell out those games at Giants Stadium. Let's move it to the SCG so even fewer Giants fans will attend!

This is quite possibly the dumbest proposal I've ever heard. There'd be a fair chance that I'd be handing back membership with a phone call letting them know why if they pull this, because it defeats the entire attraction of having a locally based club.

Shepherd confirmed the Giants were “having a look at” the possibility of playing a home game at the SCG against a big Victorian club, like Richmond or Collingwood.
Sack him.

Seriously, playing home games at the SCG? We can't even fill Giants Stadium.

What is the point of us if we're playing blockbusters outside of Western Sydney?

Who came up with this idea? I hope we're not paying them.

I think Shepherd's been reading Big Footy!

If he is still reading, SCG = yuck, microwave the members card.
12k at Giants stadium for Richmond or Pies looks half respectable.
12k (or fewer) at SCG would look f**king terrible.

How about play exciting football, win more, advertise game day more, highlight the stars, target the kids again.

There is no harder place to get to than the SCG.
It also alienates the region you are trying to attract long term.
Many of the fans (and importantly future fans) are only fans due to it being Western Sydney. Many of my mates, who are not AFL fans, but are sports fans and supporters of Westrn Sydney buy their token membership (despite only getting to a max of 1 game a year) purely based on it being the areas team. Moving games to the SCG compromises that greatly.

This is why Shepherd should be sacked. The club is a shambles doesn't no what it is play half games in Canberra half at Homebush. The club has to decide it can't be both and now you have Shepherd wanting to introduce another "home".

Do these people not understand in a new market which is western Sydney you need to create a habit with people they no their team plays at home every fortnight so you get in a habit.

We play 1 game than we see the team maybe 6 or 7 weeks later it is a joke you can never get in a routine or habit of going to games.

Frankly it's a nightmare now we have a "thought" bubble of playing games in the eastern suburbs. Just go now and take Matthews with you we will start again with people who understand and actually want to be part of western Sydney and understand the market.

That is on top of that rubbish idea of a game in the usa. Time to embrace an area an that area will embrace the club but this floating ideas of moving games to the eastern suburbs is the best way to alienate people from western Sydney.

This quote says it all "Shepherd openly declared his conflict – he’s also chairman of Venues NSW, which runs the SCG – but said the club was trying to address its issue with struggling crowds, which he admits are “a long way off the pace” this year."

The people running this club have no idea if they think moving games to the scg will improve crowds.

Emailed the club's membership department expressing disappointment in the floating of this plan.

Hopefully anyone else who's a member does the same - losing one or more games across town, to a much harder to reach stadium, when we're not at capacity at Giants Stadium, is very disappointing.

Emailed the club's membership department expressing disappointment in the floating of this plan.

Hopefully anyone else who's a member does the same - losing one or more games across town, to a much harder to reach stadium, when we're not at capacity at Giants Stadium, is very disappointing.
Great idea

Email sent.
I only said f*ck once.

This quote says it all "Shepherd openly declared his conflict – he’s also chairman of Venues NSW, which runs the SCG – but said the club was trying to address its issue with struggling crowds, which he admits are “a long way off the pace” this year."

He's chairman of Venues NSW, which runs the SCG???

This just gets worse and worse. What is he doing on our board? We need someone exclusively focused on us.

How can such a supposed business-guru put forward such a stupid idea?

I think we're in far greater trouble than we realise.

The funny thing is I actually like going to games at the SCG.

The food and drink options are decent now that Merivale took over, although exxy.

Some of the stands aren't complete trash.

I enjoy the 30 minute walk down and back (90 minutes once I've stopped at the Royal Albert, Dove and Olive, Keg and Brew, etc...).

But I do NOT like the idea of going to OUR HOME GAMES at the SCG. And I don't think any of my family (also members) would ever bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back