Autopsy GWS v Port 2017 review

Remove this Banner Ad

PLAYER REVIEWS

Ebert - Was solid without standing out at any real stage. Was probably the best 4 quarter performer of our midfielders but he never went beyond having an 'ok' game. Seemed to be playing more outside than he has so far this year

Pittard - Thought he was alright for the first 2 1/2 quarters, then a disaster after that. Fell over, turned it over, lost position. His last quarter was terrible.

Boak - His first half was incredible, one of the best halves he has played in a long time. After that, didn't really notice him. They put the clamps on and he lost the time he had with the ball and was forced constantly into rushed disposals.

Wines - His least effective game of the year. Couldn't impact at stoppages, got a bit of the ball but couldn't really create anything with it. Was a 2016 type Wines game.

Houston - Thought he did a good job on a couple of forwards, especially Greene through the middle couple of quarters. Defended strongly, took some good marks and was clean coming out of the back line. Is now a reliable performer. Great for someone so young.

Broadbent - Meh. Turned it over quite a bit, missed targets and had no positive impact on the result.

Trengove - A good effort against Mumford. Was ok around the ground and kicked a great goal under pressure. Was beaten, but not drastically so.

R Gray - Looked set for a good game early but it fizzled out. Lost his zip with his injury and not sure we can expect consistent high quality performances this year.

Westhoff - Thought he was well held by Tomlinson. Not much to add really. Struggled to impact up forward and his spot in the side should come under scrutiny.

S Gray - Was a bit better than last week but still doesn't provide enough for what his role in the side is. 1 tackle only. Kicked a goal which was good and chased a lot. Anyone can do that.

Amon - He looked threatening at times, lazy and wasteful at others. Just a standard Karl game. I want more from him. He has the talent, not sure he'll get to that extra 10% though.

Hartlett - Was probably the best of our defenders on the day and I liked his ball use. Was clean with the ball under pressure. Probably the best 4 quarter player yesterday.

Dixon - Again he looked threatening without taking charge of the game at any stage. Has to take his opportunities when they arise.

Wingard - Looked dangerous at times when he got it, but he didn't get it enough and provided precisely zero defensively. His worst game of the year by a long shot.

White - Was better than I was expecting. Like Wingard, he looked alright when he had it, he just didn't get near it anywhere near enough for it to be a quality performance. Maybe he can grow on that and pick up another 5-6 touches next week.

Impey - Thought he was poor and the worst game he's played in a long time. Just not sure we can find a role that suits him and brings out consistent performances.

Young - Offered very little for the second week running.

Polec - Had a couple of decent moments through the second half, but overall was panted by his opponent. It's the type of game that saw him dropped last year.

Clurey - Thought he did a decent job when on Cameron, but struggled on Patton late. Not all his fault, he was left out to dry a bit on occasion. Is he going to make it? I'm not sure.

SPP - Very quiet and struggled against their big name midfield.

DBJ - Not sure what he was doing yesterday but it's probably the worst game he's played.

Jonas - We seemed to get the match ups wrong. Thought he was doing a good job on Patton, but struggled a bit on Cameron. So why not swap them around so that both opposition players impact. Seemed silly.

We have too many players that lack consistency. The gap between their best and worst is too big, and too often we seem to put together games where 6-7 of these guys play poorly in the same game. Its hard to win when that happens.

What a frustrating and annoying performance. It does my head in how we can look pretty good for 3 quarters, only to not give a whimper in the last. Its happened a lot over the years.

We looked a mess in the first quarter and it felt like 'one of those days' where you knew we wouldn't win. Multiple players kicking out on the full, giving away silly free kicks, missing gimme goals in the first 10 minutes. But to the players credit they pulled their heads in and played some really good football for most of the game and gave ourselves a big chance to win. Having said that, GWS always felt in control of the game and seemed to have the answers.

Was this one lost at the selection table? Probably, though i'm not sure its that simple. Would another tall up forward and down back have been handy? Sure. Would we have won? I doubt it. Our midfield was well beaten, that was the key to the Giants win today. The annoying thing, as I said in the podcast, was that we train all pre season for a certain structure only to let it go as soon as we get an injury or suspension. We had players available that could have helped. We chose not to select them.

We do become entirely predictable when just playing Dixon up forward. Westhoff didn't do much and you can't rely on small forwards to win you games every week. Down back, Austin would have helped. Their falls kicked 8 goals. Ours kicked 2. Theres the game. Jonas, Clurey and Houston did as well as they could, but were always playing undersized.

And yet despite that, we still found ourselves 10 points up with a few minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. We had the momentum and we were taking our chances. Then we decided to make some stupid positional changes which gave them back momentum. Houston was doing a good job on Greene. Lets put Pittard on him. Jonas was doing well on Patton. Lets change that one up too. Annoying.

Annoying. Sums it up completely.

VOTES
7 - Hartlett
6 - Trengove, Houston
5 - Dixon, Boak, Ebert, Wines
4 - Amon, Pittard
3 - Jonas, SPP, White, Westhoff, R Gray, Broadbent
2 - DBJ, Clurey, Young, Polec, Wingard, S Gray, Impey
I tell you what Macca, you're being very kind in giving Hammer a 7.

I thought our defensive structures were really good for three quarters. They broke down in the last for the reasons discussed - massive amount of talent in GWS and a structural imbalance.

But I look ahead and see good talls being available like Ryder, Hombsch, Austin, Frampton, Howard. Big mobile young men who can fit into this structure and gameplay. And yes I can see a discernible style/gameplay that will improve over the year. And some of the attacking play built on the foundation of the defensive work was scintillating.

I'm not going to waste time crying over this game that got away seeing as there wasn't much hope anyway. But I can see the development going on and am looking strategically big picture as to where we can go. And like I said last week the result wasn't good but you can see something good being built.

PS How good was Houston again. What a find he has been.
Yeah now emotions out after game. Concur. It was bitterly disappointing but we did not disgrace ourselves. Our senior players did not have their best game. But a base to work on. Just need our coaches to be more creative with selections and break free of this fixation we have playing small. We also need to be more ruthless dropping under performing players. I thought trengove battled very well. Houston is a proven afl footballer. But we need to find a way to compete longer at contested football. Soon as wines is beaten we seem to have no one stepping up.

I tell you what Macca, you're being very kind in giving Hammer a 7.

I've updated my votes but i'm still sticking with Hammer with a 7. He didn't do much wrong yesterday and was strong with the ball. It wasn't a great performance, but was a good one, which fits a 7.

We have too many players that lack consistency. The gap between their best and worst is too big, and too often we seem to put together games where 6-7 of these guys play poorly in the same game. Its hard to win when that happens.
We also don't have enough players who get enough of the ball.

Wines and Gray are the only ones who look capable of touching 30 disposals these days. There are other teams who regularly have 2-4 guys get over 30.

I can't understand that.

Why does Polec never get above 18-20?
Why Amon 15?
Why Impey 12-15?

We need more high possession contributors, who consistently get to and find the footy. If Crouch, Laird, Sloane and Smith can do it, all the bloody time, what stops our guys?

Robbie Gray has a Jenkins like ability to play through injury. His lack of defensive effort is killing us. Just rest him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
There were times in the second quarter when it looked like all our players were zoning off to drop a long way behind the ball, like in Choco's days.
For a 15 min period, it seemed like Robbie was the designated piggy in the middle, whose job it was to apply token, arm waving pressure as GWS chipped it between themselves up the ground.

Our lack of chasing and tackling intensity, from everyone, was evident for much of the game. I can't recall White or Impey chasing effectively often enough. The last quarter "attempts" of Broadbent on Greene and Hartlett on Shaw were embarrassing.

Ken was getting too 'clever' with his selections. I guess if f we had pulled it off it would have only covered the cracks. I hope for the rest of the year we replace like for like wherever possible. I am close to wanting us to just play the kids, I'm not sure this senior group have a Premiership in them.

I thought our defensive structures were really good for three quarters. They broke down in the last for the reasons discussed - massive amount of talent in GWS and a structural imbalance.

But I look ahead and see good talls being available like Ryder, Hombsch, Austin, Frampton, Howard. Big mobile young men who can fit into this structure and gameplay. And yes I can see a discernible style/gameplay that will improve over the year. And some of the attacking play built on the foundation of the defensive work was scintillating.

I'm not going to waste time crying over this game that got away seeing as there wasn't much hope anyway. But I can see the development going on and am looking strategically big picture as to where we can go. And like I said last week the result wasn't good but you can see something good being built.

This.

We barely got our own game going for parts against GWS, and some credit for that has to go to them, yet shut them done for three quarters and fought back to take the momentum and lead when challenged. When we got on top we looked extremely dangerous. That fell apart in the last when we weren't able to restrict their ball use through the middle and their talls took advantage. The last quarter was disappointing, but not unexpected after a Showdown. If we'd taken more of our chances earlier the pressure and physical toll on them would have made all the difference.

On balance we've lost two in a row to the two teams that would play in a Grand Final if it were held this week, and were right in both of those games. By the end of the year these two losses will not impact on making the finals, most other teams will lose these games. We've got the game to beat them, and a whole season to get 22 consistent performers to go with it.

I've updated my votes but I'm still sticking with Hammer with a 7. He didn't do much wrong yesterday and was strong with the ball. It wasn't a great performance, but was a good one, which fits a 7.
I know you shouldn't always judge a player on 1 or 2 passages of play, but it seems to be a common theme with Hammer. Don't get me wrong, I rate Hammer as a player. When most of us first watched him play for the club we had him penned in as a genuine A grade mid. He possessed all the tools of a damaging modern day player. Yesterday, there were 2 passages of play in particular that just leaves you scratching your head in frustration. The first incident I believe occurred in the 1st qtr when under very little pressure he fumbled a routine mark that nearly cost the team a goal. The latter was early in the 4th Qtr, where he took a mark on the defensive 50, had time to use the ball well but just nonchalantly kicked it out of bounds on the full. He just has to be better then that.

I hate to be the pessimist, but Chaddy old boy looks like he's heading down the same path as a Hammer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken was getting too 'clever' with his selections. I guess if f we had pulled it off it would have only covered the cracks. I hope for the rest of the year we replace like for like wherever possible. I am close to wanting us to just play the kids, I'm not sure this senior group have a Premiership in them.

Ken can't do it. For example we have brought in DBJ and Houston to the backline over the last 12 months, but we haven't actually dropped anyone out of the backline, we just play 6 medium backs now. Ken doesn't believe in competition between players for spots, he just doesnt have the balls to replace or trade anyone, just lets them all play a season too long then have them retire with no-one to replace them.

After sleeping on this loss, there is some massive overreacting here.
We just lost to the overwhelming premiership favourites by almost everyone prior to round 1 and the week before we lost to the new outright premiership favourites.

Both games we were completely in it and could have easily won if we sharpened up a few areas. God we were winning at 3/4 time and had a bad last quarter. It's not like we got smashed by either team.

Put it into perspective people. It's not like we just lost to Brisbane or Carlton. We just lost to the two best teams who will finish 1 and 2 come end of regular season.

We get Ryder back next week and Hombsch the week after. Just chill everyone.

After sleeping on this loss, there is some massive overreacting here.
We just lost to the overwhelming premiership favourites by almost everyone prior to round 1 and the week before we lost to the new outright premiership favourites.

Both games we were completely in it and could have easily won if we sharpened up a few areas. God we were winning at 3/4 time and had a bad last quarter. It's not like we got smashed by either team.

Put it into perspective people. It's not like we just lost to Brisbane or Carlton. We just lost to the two best teams who will finish 1 and 2 come end of regular season.

We get Ryder back next week and Hombsch the week after. Just chill everyone.
Sorry, but when did this club start accepting mediocrity?

This.

We barely got our own game going for parts against GWS, and some credit for that has to go to them, yet shut them done for three quarters and fought back to take the momentum and lead when challenged. When we got on top we looked extremely dangerous. That fell apart in the last when we weren't able to restrict their ball use through the middle and their talls took advantage. The last quarter was disappointing, but not unexpected after a Showdown. If we'd taken more of our chances earlier the pressure and physical toll on them would have made all the difference.

On balance we've lost two in a row to the two teams that would play in a Grand Final if it were held this week, and were right in both of those games. By the end of the year these two losses will not impact on making the finals, most other teams will lose these games. We've got the game to beat them, and a whole season to get 22 consistent performers to go with it.

Yeah I'm still pretty positive at the moment. I reckon we've still got a lot of improvement in us. Add Ryder Hombsch and Monfries to that side and a lot of the weaknesses mentioned are covered.

If some of our stars (R Gray, Wingard, Polec) can lift and the team as a whole can improve over the season, we're right up there.

Great post but the thing is there was hope of winning and that's what makes the loss so annoying.

But big picture we're doing OK at 2-2 with good percentage, we all would've taken that at the start of the year. Ryder will be back, Hombsch soon after and the next 4 games leading into our early bye are all very winnable. There's still many reasons to be positive about 2017.

Also how good was the 2014 draft? Has there ever been a better late draft haul? Picks 56, 69, 78 and 84 and they all look like they will serve as genuine AFL-level KPPs (apart from Palmer who's more 3rd tall).

Plus we bought Ryder with 17 and 37. Killed it.

Well we were beaten in the midfield by one of the worst midfields in the comp last week so it wasnt a big surprise we got smashed in there against GWS. Considering the dominance in midfield out defense did bloody well to hold up for 3 quarters. Very poor in the last but you cant win games of footy losing the clearances 49-30. We need to change up the rotations through midfield, either bring someone in or rotate others through. The defenders and forwards should hold their heads high.

Adelaide "one of the worst midfields in the comp" lel

Is it that hard to be objective?

Last quarter capitulation unforgivable
GWS clearly worked considerably harder in the 4th
That was the diff as we matched it with them for the first 3 even with mismatches
We didn't have anything left to give in the last because we had been hanging in until that stage by the skin of our teeth. We also had too many players in the first three quarters who were down on form and bystanders, while our HB line did much of the hard work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back